Earl Thomas

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Earl Thomas

Postby idhawkman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:40 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Also not a hardline, as they have indeed extended players that are a no show for team activities.

PC's statement today was a pretty hardline. "Earl should be here!"
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Said the same about Lynch during mandatory OTAs, though cushioned it with "he's always done his own thing though. He's staying in shape on his own" double talk.

And clearly HE grasps his value to his team's success, organiz he should talkin to John about making that happen.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 pm

No I don't mean any kind of OTA's I mean training camp. That's why I wrote TC in the first place. They are not the same thing. John Schieder is the one who said it anyway, not me ... so tell me, who has gotten a new deal while holding out of training camp?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:51 pm

So if ET does not report by Aug.7, he loses the ability to earn an accrued year, and thus, loses his ability to become a UFA next off season. Is that correct?

And it seems like Nov.13 is the last day ET can report if he wants to play at all for the 2018-19 season, but I am not 100% sure on that one.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-19-important-nfl-dates/

Hard to say how this is going to turn out. I get both sides. ET has earned the right to get an extension with just 1 year left, not sure what he is asking for. Has that been reported? I don't blame NFL players for doing what ET is doing, especially a player of his caliber and his recent injuries. I have to believe I would be protecting myself as well at this point as an NFL player.

Don't blame the team either for taking the stand of "show up before we negotiate a new deal". They didn't cave for Kam (who was a little different in that he had more than 1 year left), and they are not gonna cave for ET. It shows no matter who you are, you play by our rules (Pete and John). I guess BeastMode was an exception though??

Not sure I understand it all, but if ET does report and cannot negotiate a new deal and becomes a UFA next off season, the team can then "Franchise Tag" him correct? Don't think they would have a problem with paying ET top 5 money for his position. And then they could do it again the next year as well?

A trade at this point seems very unlikely to me, the Hawks have to be asking high and don't think any team will pay the price. Stuck in a situation where both sides have dug their heels in and don't want to budge. The optimist in me hopes for a fair extension and ET retiring a Seahawk, it just seems right. I realize it is a transitional stage right now and the LOB is no more, but losing the main 3 all at once would be too much to take as a fan.

Would you believe, I ask, would you believe that RS25, KC31, and ET29 will be patrolling the Seahawks secondary to start the 2018 season?
Uh, how about KC31 and ET 29 then?
Oh, well, then, would you settle for ET29?
Um, OK, would you accept a street kid named "Fast Willy" and a 3rd round pick?
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 pm

I was under the impression it was wk 8 of the regular season....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:50 pm

HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Not sure why you guys feel the need to question me on this stuff, but there you go.... last guy to get a new contract while holding out during TRAINING CAMP is the same one I've already pointed out.

Marshawn Lynch's holdout from Seattle Seahawks camp is over.

The star running back was present at the team facility Thursday, ending a one-week holdout.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported the Seahawks moved money around in Lynch's existing contract to end the stalemate, according to a source who has seen the deal.

Lynch had been set to make $5 million this year with $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses and another $500,000 in incentives. The Seahawks rolled that $1 million bonus and incentive money into his base salary and added $500,000 that had been bookmarked to Lynch for 2015. All told, Lynch's base has been bumped from $5 million to $6.5 million
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Good enough Bob?
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I was under the impression it was wk 8 of the regular season....

That rings a bell HCR. Think I remember Galloway coming back half way through the year that one year he held out, and I think it was week 8. Not sure if rules have changed since then.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Kam came back week 4 I think. Brown came back week 8 against Seattle after his holdout last season... it's week 8... i'm positive.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Kam came back week 4 I think. Brown came back week 8 against Seattle after his holdout last season... it's week 8... i'm positive.

Human I agree, (I know a fleeting moment!) They have to have some operating money for mom and the kids. I am sure he didn't blow a lot of money last year gearing up for this.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Good enough Bob?

If you like.

It's not a negotiated extension, or even a raise ... the deal contained no new money, all it did was move money around so he'd be able to save face and come in. Technically the team could say it's what they did to get him into camp so they could negotiate the extension that he signed the next offseason (and IIRC that's exactly what they did say).

But I'll let you have this one, because even if they didn't "technically" cross their line, they at least stepped all over it.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:19 am

NFL Channel's Chiron states that Earl was told before OTAs that his contract would not be addressed this year. Looks like we will be moving on unless Earl wants to cave. The market for FS seems to have waned recently.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Eh, mans making a business decision. Seattle don't want him, promise somebody else does. Unfortunate situation. Seattle gets significantly worse. The "re boot" talk can go out the window, the word is full rebuild.

Without him my prediction changes from 7-9 to 9-7 to 5-11 to 7-9... to bad, but hopefully this rebuild won't waste Wilson's career years like it did Kennedy, Jones, Warner, Largent etc.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:00 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Eh, mans making a business decision. Seattle don't want him, promise somebody else does. Unfortunate situation. Seattle gets significantly worse. The "re boot" talk can go out the window, the word is full rebuild.

Without him my prediction changes from 7-9 to 9-7 to 5-11 to 7-9... to bad, but hopefully this rebuild won't waste Wilson's career years like it did Kennedy, Jones, Warner, Largent etc.

IMO it's more than a business decision. We know that he wants very badly to go back home and play for his childhood favorite team, the Cowboys, and it's quite possible that the break up of our defense could have had an emotional impact on him. I can't say that I blame him, though.

It's a rebuild, but not quite a full one. We still have 4 solid vets left over from our SB teams...Bobby, KJ, Russell, and ADB. And I don't think it likely that we slip all the way to 5-11 with or w/o Earl. There's more talent here than there was when Pete first took over, and his first two teams went 7-9...unless you think that Russell isn't as good of a QB as Matt Hasselbeck or Tavaris Jackson.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:25 pm

A few years ago we didn't know much about Chancellor or Sherman, so maybe there is someone we haven't seen much of who's going to surprise us.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:58 pm

NorthHawk wrote:A few years ago we didn't know much about Chancellor or Sherman, so maybe there is someone we haven't seen much of who's going to surprise us.

I don't recall who it was they were talking about but I think it may have been Thorpe when they said he had the most INTs in camp than any other player. We'll see if he can unseat Griffin or Maxy.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:47 pm

idhawkman wrote:I don't recall who it was they were talking about but I think it may have been Thorpe when they said he had the most INTs in camp than any other player. We'll see if he can unseat Griffin or Maxy.

I think that was Tedric Thompson a FS, possibly ET’s replacement.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 pm

NorthHawk wrote:A few years ago we didn't know much about Chancellor or Sherman, so maybe there is someone we haven't seen much of who's going to surprise us.

Maybe, but that's prayer, not realistic expectation. Holding to hope is fine. Maybe several magical all pro players suddenly appear, it's possible, if unlikely. I don't base my opinion or assessments on hope. I base it on evaluation of the players play. I've seen 0 that leads me to believe there's a hidden Sherman, Chancellor. Bennett, Avrill, or Thomas currently residing on the team.

Perhaps a rookie surprises, but honestly, while not a lot was known about Sherman. Chancellor, Thomas, Bennett etc... it didn't take a long time to see it. Sherman was apparent ( at least to me) game #1 during the preseason his rookie year, Thomas the same. I didn't feel the same about Chancellor ( mediocre coverage skills. Something that never changed) ultimately believed they would use him same way as Milloy which didn't happen. Bennett was one of the last players cut for a reason, and Seattle had hoped to retain him on the practice squad. He flashed immediately.

That all said, 90% of the young players, have already been residing in Seattle for a full season already, seeing the field, playing due to injuries, or in rare cases starting. Nothing I've seen to date makes me believe any of them are the caliber of the players listed ( even when they were rookies).

Like I said, nothing wrong with hoping, just don't see it
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:57 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Maybe, but that's prayer, not realistic expectation. Holding to hope is fine. Maybe several magical all pro players suddenly appear, it's possible, if unlikely. I don't base my opinion or assessments on hope. I base it on evaluation of the players play. I've seen 0 that leads me to believe there's a hidden Sherman, Chancellor. Bennett, Avrill, or Thomas currently residing on the team.

Perhaps a rookie surprises, but honestly, while not a lot was known about Sherman. Chancellor, Thomas, Bennett etc... it didn't take a long time to see it. Sherman was apparent ( at least to me) game #1 during the preseason his rookie year, Thomas the same. I didn't feel the same about Chancellor ( mediocre coverage skills. Something that never changed) ultimately believed they would use him same way as Milloy which didn't happen. Bennett was one of the last players cut for a reason, and Seattle had hoped to retain him on the practice squad. He flashed immediately.

That all said, 90% of the young players, have already been residing in Seattle for a full season already, seeing the field, playing due to injuries, or in rare cases starting. Nothing I've seen to date makes me believe any of them are the caliber of the players listed ( even when they were rookies).

Like I said, nothing wrong with hoping, just don't see it

Earl was in a much different boat than Sherman and Chancellor. He was a consensus first round pick and the #2 player at his position (Eric Berry was the top rated safety that year). Although I don't think anyone expected the HOF career that we got out of him, being that he was the #13 overall it was reasonable to expect that he'd at least become a solid starter. Chancellor and Sherman were taken much later, Sherman late enough to where one could reasonably expect him to be nothing more than training camp fodder. Earl took to Pete's defense like a duck takes to water. His impact was immediate. He covered so much territory back there that it allowed Sherman and Chancellor to blossom.

The last player I celebrated that we drafted was Aaron Curry. Is it any wonder why I don't spin cartwheels over our draft picks anymore?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:20 am

Earl was in a much different boat than Sherman and Chancellor. He was a consensus first round pick and the #2 player at his position (Eric Berry was the top rated safety that year). Although I don't think anyone expected the HOF career that we got out of him, being that he was the #13 overall it was reasonable to expect that he'd at least become a solid starter. Chancellor and Sherman were taken much later, Sherman late enough to where one could reasonably expect him to be nothing more than training camp fodder. Earl took to Pete's defense like a duck takes to water. His impact was immediate. He covered so much territory back there that it allowed Sherman and Chancellor to blossom.

The last player I celebrated that we drafted was Aaron Curry. Is it any wonder why I don't spin cartwheels over our draft picks anymore?

Don't feel bad Bob, the only "Expert" (myself included) that predicted AC not making it, was Mark Schlereth, (same High school as me in Anch, AK BTW) who stated: "body like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Remember, it was PC who found Sherm, he was a WR at Stanford, under Hairball, who ended up blackballing him. So he can dump on Pete all he wants but he would have been nothing in Pro FB without him.

Earl knows the Hawks cracked on the KC case, you opened the door on that one, and now its revolving.

Does anyone believe that Aaron Donald will be holding out an entire year? Not that we would cry!!
obiken
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:13 am

mykc14 wrote:="idhawkman"]
I don't recall who it was they were talking about but I think it may have been Thorpe when they said he had the most INTs in camp than any other player. We'll see if he can unseat Griffin or Maxy.

Pete must like his options with the current group considering they could have had a proven starter in FA for cheap.
Tre Boston just signed with the Cards for $800,000 guaranteed + performance bonuses up to $3,000,000.

ET couldn't have had worse timing for entering the FS market. Safety signings have been really inexpensive this year so far.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Um... obi Sherm was a corner coming out of college under Harbaugh.... Pete didn't "convert" him.

And I certainly never saw Seattle waiver in the case of Chancellor.... he held out to week five, and came back with no new contract, that and unlike Chancellor, ET is actually in his final year, like many before him, Seattle has indeed shown a willingness throughout the current leadership to rework contracts..... at least for players they want.... "core " players..... somehow they've decided ET isn't one, though I'm hard pressed to understand how.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:50 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:Um... obi Sherm was a corner coming out of college under Harbaugh.... Pete didn't "convert" him.

And I certainly never saw Seattle waiver in the case of Chancellor.... he held out to week five, and came back with no new contract, that and unlike Chancellor, ET is actually in his final year, like many before him, Seattle has indeed shown a willingness throughout the current leadership to rework contracts..... at least for players they want.... "core " players..... somehow they've decided ET isn't one, though I'm hard pressed to understand how.

The circumstances have changed. No longer does the FO feel that we have a legitimate shot at the SB, at least not in the present situation. You acknowledged this much yourself when the highest you pegged our 2018 record even with Earl was 9-7.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:06 pm

I guess, that said, "leadership" matters right? I mean can anyone say having Thomas on the field directing the bevy of mediocre, young, or young and mediocre talent in the defensive backfield would be not preferred to the other option?

Lot of people stoked about Brown resigning SPECIFICALLY because of that, many believe the offense can flourish BECAUSE of Wilson.... etc...

Thomas will not be replaced by anyone on that roster ( and likely in the next decade of drafts) and that is simply performance wise, add in the experience, knowledge and leadership and you've multiplied it exponentially....

Anybody think Maxwell, Griffin or McDougald replaces that??

I certainly don't.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:21 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:I guess, that said, "leadership" matters right? I mean can anyone say having Thomas on the field directing the bevy of mediocre, young, or young and mediocre talent in the defensive backfield would be not preferred to the other option?

Lot of people stoked about Brown resigning SPECIFICALLY because of that, many believe the offense can flourish BECAUSE of Wilson.... etc...

Thomas will not be replaced by anyone on that roster ( and likely in the next decade of drafts) and that is simply performance wise, add in the experience, knowledge and leadership and you've multiplied it exponentially....

Anybody think Maxwell, Griffin or McDougald replaces that??

I certainly don't.

Boy, you can't go a single post without mentioning Duane Brown, can't you? He's really gotten into your head.

I agree with the value of having a guy like Earl on our team and in the locker room even on a rebuilding squad. If properly motivated, he could be worth his weight in gold by providing leadership and guidance on the field and character in the locker room. Performance wise, he's still at his peak and it's reasonable to expect that he can play at a Pro Bowl level well into this rebuild project of ours, and in a perfect world, I'd love to have him back.

But what we don't know, that Pete probably does know, is if Earl's attitude has soured or not. If it has, then I don't want any part of him. Because of that, I'm trusting Pete on this one.

The other point I was trying to make is that the Seahawks reluctance to renegotiate an existing deal with a core player after having done so in previous years is that the circumstances have changed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:10 pm

I'm simply regurgitating what others have said about Brown ... and on a team with fewer and fewer bonafide leaders, it becomes more, and more difficult to point out who they are ( and obviously specifically signed recently).... the bulk of Seattle has a "leader" of the position groups, I simply referenced two. Whether Brown's play is in my opinion sub standard based on cost, isn't relevant to the discussion. Ultimately, you've got Bobby in LBs, Earl in DBs, Baldwin in receivers, Brown by default in O line, None along the D line ( unless you want to place Reed there I guess, though to this point I haven't seen the actions or play of a leader) Wilson as the face of the franchise.... and nothing else. Even when the LOB was first starting, there were indeed veterans helping them along the way ( Trufant, Milloy etc).

Maybe ET has soured, I certainly would have if I was him, after watching the moves and decisions made over the last couple seasons, added to the absolutely appalling lack of appreciation amongst the fan base and front office, but regardless, this absolutely could have been avoided entirely, Thomas owns some of the responsibility, but so does the Seattle front office.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 am

HumanCockroach wrote:I'm simply regurgitating what others have said about Brown ... and on a team with fewer and fewer bonafide leaders, it becomes more, and more difficult to point out who they are ( and obviously specifically signed recently).... the bulk of Seattle has a "leader" of the position groups, I simply referenced two. Whether Brown's play is in my opinion sub standard based on cost, isn't relevant to the discussion. Ultimately, you've got Bobby in LBs, Earl in DBs, Baldwin in receivers, Brown by default in O line,

I would argue that Justin Britt is a bona fide leader more so than a player that's been with the team for a little more than half of one season.

Maybe ET has soured, I certainly would have if I was him, after watching the moves and decisions made over the last couple seasons, added to the absolutely appalling lack of appreciation amongst the fan base and front office, but regardless, this absolutely could have been avoided entirely, Thomas owns some of the responsibility, but so does the Seattle front office.

Appalling lack of appreciation amongst the fan base? How many photos do you have of fans burning #29 jerseys? What do you expect them to say when a player that's under contract holds out?

It doesn't matter what the sport or what city they're in, the fans are not going to react kindly to a player leaving in free agency let alone one that holds out while under contract.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:45 pm

I don't have a problem with a player holding out. IMO where Earl lost whatever portion of the fan base he's lost (this doesn't include me, I'm still a huge fan) he lost when he ran up to an opposing coach telling them to "come get" him.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I don't have a problem with a player holding out. IMO where Earl lost whatever portion of the fan base he's lost (this doesn't include me, I'm still a huge fan) he lost when he ran up to an opposing coach telling them to "come get" him.

I could see where he lost a lot of support when he did that after the Cowboy game. I didn't get too upset about that. I am not upset at Earl as many think I am. I just don't want to extend or resign him to a new contract until next year. I could see an extension that is heavily incentive based but I wouldn't put up a lot of guaranteed money. Its just too risky with the cap.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 am

Treating him as you would any other human that helped accomplish something that has never been done before for a city with a single championship to their name, looking out for himself and his family. Like adults do. Realizing he's a business man, making a business decision, instead of acting like a bunch of jilted girlfriends?

Why stop there, fans did the same to Sherman after he signed in SF, claiming he owed them something, when the FO cut him.

I know it may be hard to grasp for some, but players don't owe us squat. We aren't the ones putting our bodies, health and livelihood on the line, we aren't the ones putting in the work, nor weighing the cost vs. rewards.

As for what I "expect" them to say, probably the same as any contractual employee that is attempting to get a better deal... ie nothing, because it isn't their lives on the line. Certainly not insults.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:11 am

The NFL has 2 sides. The Game side and the business side which is the ugly side for us fans.
But for the players, their careers are short and they need to get every penny they can while they can and I don't begrudge them for it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:38 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Treating him as you would any other human that helped accomplish something that has never been done before for a city with a single championship to their name, looking out for himself and his family. Like adults do. Realizing he's a business man, making a business decision, instead of acting like a bunch of jilted girlfriends?

Why stop there, fans did the same to Sherman after he signed in SF, claiming he owed them something, when the FO cut him.

I have no annomous toward Richard. I wish him the best except for when he plays us. That's normal for a team fan.

I know it may be hard to grasp for some, but players don't owe us squat. We aren't the ones putting our bodies, health and livelihood on the line, we aren't the ones putting in the work, nor weighing the cost vs. rewards.

That's ridiculous. They owe us the performance they agreed to in their contract. Doing the work on their part is part of that obligation. We do the work in our normal everyday jobs to pay for the tickets and memorability. You do your work to earn money to buy things you want. They do their work to earn the money to buy things they want. When anyone signs a contract they obligate themselves to perform to the level stated in the contract. I don't know why you can't grasp that concept.

As for what I "expect" them to say, probably the same as any contractual employee that is attempting to get a better deal... ie nothing, because it isn't their lives on the line. Certainly not insults.

If you, I or anyone else fails to perform to the stated levels of the contract there are consequences. Unfortunately, the NFL teams have relented and made it normal to pay for lost earnings when they renegotiate. I would rather the owners stop paying for back earnings and make holding out a financial risk on the players part.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:44 am

Well, I DO have a problem with players that are under contract holding out. IMO a contract is your word or a promise. In the real world, if you have a legally binding contract and don't perform, you get your azz sued for breach of contract. I don't know of any other business that stops work because they don't like the terms of the contract they signed. They really need to crack down on this practice, make the fines irrevocable and collected by the league.

But as far as Earl goes, I haven't lost a huge amount of respect for him, at least not as much as I lost for Kam when he held out. Part of it is that I can understand what he must be going through, seeing his team disintegrate, his own desire to get traded, etc, and as HC pointed out, Earl was a huge part of what was the best period of Seahawk football in our team's history, and I'll be forever grateful. But I still think he should honor his promise.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:44 am

In the real world, if you have a legally binding contract and don't perform, you get your azz sued for breach of contract.

This, and before anyone chimes in with the inevitable "BUT THE TEAM CAN JUST CUT HIM SO HOW IS THAT HONORING THE CONTRACT", the team's right to cut a player, and/or otherwise withold $$, is only within the terms of the contract. They're not breaking anything in deciding a player isn't worth what they're paying him anymore.

The only thing a player is guaranteed is whatever they negotiate into the contract ("guaranteed money"), and the team can't renege on that.

Why some think players should be treated differently than every other employee/contractor in the country baffles me, and further, so does this attitude that their money-earning ability is gone if they're no longer in the NFL.

Look at the NFL for what it is: a voluntary, temporary, highly-lucrative job that a lucky few are hired to do. Yes, it's dangerous, but that's a known factor, and if the money isn't worth the risk, DON'T DO IT (which, to be fair, many players have done!).

When they're no longer able to secure a position, they join the rest of the planet in figuring out how to earn a living (assuming they didn't save enough to retire on at the age of 30-something).

They're not pity cases- quit treating them as such.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:40 pm

burrrton wrote:This, and before anyone chimes in with the inevitable "BUT THE TEAM CAN JUST CUT HIM SO HOW IS THAT HONORING THE CONTRACT", the team's right to cut a player, and/or otherwise withold $$, is only within the terms of the contract. They're not breaking anything in deciding a player isn't worth what they're paying him anymore.

The only thing a player is guaranteed is whatever they negotiate into the contract ("guaranteed money"), and the team can't renege on that.

Why some think players should be treated differently than every other employee/contractor in the country baffles me, and further, so does this attitude that their money-earning ability is gone if they're no longer in the NFL.

Look at the NFL for what it is: a voluntary, temporary, highly-lucrative job that a lucky few are hired to do. Yes, it's dangerous, but that's a known factor, and if the money isn't worth the risk, DON'T DO IT (which, to be fair, many players have done!).

When they're no longer able to secure a position, they join the rest of the planet in figuring out how to earn a living (assuming they didn't save enough to retire on at the age of 30-something).

They're not pity cases- quit treating them as such.

Excellent post!

The points burr brought out encases the major reason why there is such a wide gulf between today's professional athletes and their fans/society. I'm old enough to remember when players actually had to get jobs during the offseason in order to make ends meet. George Blanda, a league MVP, had a job driving a beer truck for a distributor. I'm not advocating that we return to those days and feel players should get their fair share of the pie, but I'll never agree that breaking a mutually agreed to contract is an acceptable means of resolving a dispute.

And people wonder why I don't wear jerseys with player's names/numbers.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:08 pm

The league permits it to happen and the players are taking advantage of it.
It's just business.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:13 pm

Lmao... spoken like people that have never worked under a contract in the "real world". Contracts can, and indeed do get reworked when a contractor decides the cost exceeds the benefits.

That's the "real world" folks, not some make believe idea that because they make more money than the rest of us that they have to honor a contract, or owe fans some make believe loyalty.

As for do I earn my money question, of course I do, is Thomas making any money right now during his holdout? The answer is no, hence he earned every penny he's worked for. The ONLY way that's remotely a valid statement is that you ' expect' something, much like a jilted girlfriend expecting a marriage proposal. If he was COLLECTING money, and still refusing to work, I'd be right there with you, but he isn't, and won't, nor should he, he isn't working.

Why that's so hard for people to grasp, I have no idea.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:39 pm

Lol... neither man understands contractual work, and then insists they do.... lmfao.... y'all don't know spit about what you are talking about. EVERY job I do is EXACTLY that, aaaaaaannnnnddddd YES we can INDEED walk, refuse to work, or renegotiate our contract at ANY time.... and HAVE.

They don't own you fellas, you are not obligated to fulfill the contract. You are obligated to get paid for the work put in. Breech of contract ISN'T a work related problem, it's when a promised service, or goods ISN'T performed, BUT HAS been paid for ( in essence a return of money paid for incomplete delivery). Thomas HAS NONE as he hasn't been PAID for service not rendered. Also why often in breech of contract suits only a PORTION of paid money's are returned because a PORTION of the work * or goods* has been delivered or performed.

Atlanta sued Vick for breech of contract ( to get back portion of signing bonus after his dog fiasco) because it was paid out over the length of the contract, hence he wasn't performing the service for which he was being PAID, Thomas isn't in the same boat, and CANNOT be sued for "breech of contract", well I suppose they could spend the money to have it thrown out, because he hasn't earned one penny for not doing the work, ie he's been paid for the work performed, but nothing for the work not performed still "pending" on his current contract.

For people claiming "real world" you sure do live in a fantasy.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:44 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The league permits it to happen and the players are taking advantage of it.
It's just business.

Agreed. I don't support what they're doing, and I'm not going to bend over backwards rationalizing it, but hey, if you've got the leverage to play hardball forcing contract negotiations, do your worst. I'm not losing sleep over it.

I think they're going to start realizing most of us root for the uniform, though, not the player, and no amount of "BUT WHAT ABOUT MY FAMILY" is going to change that when most of the guys holding out earn more per game than most Americans see in a year working 40 hours a week.

[edit]

Didn't read RD's post far enough:

And people wonder why I don't wear jerseys with player's names/numbers.

:)
burrrton
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum