For Anyone Trying to Register

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby yoder » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:03 pm

Hey Shack members and followers,

If you haven't noticed, we're getting hit hard by the Russians...spamming the forum at will. I'm getting around 20 new registrations per day. Cleaning them out by hand is becoming cumbersome, so I've temporarily shut off registration for any new members.

With that said, The Shack is due for an upgrade. Good time to do this since we're almost into the off season, however I will wait until after the SB. With this should come a more secure forum...and wait for it...perhaps a bit more mobile friendly! I know it drives many of you nuts, trying to view this forum on a phone. It drives me nuts anyway!

We're looking at a major upgrade and there is a chance I'll screw something up. Not worried about it since I always back up everything. Worst case, we're down for a day or two. Best case, it's a seamless transition.

I'll give everyone a heads up before I go under the hood and will try to upgrade during the wee hours of the morning, minimizing the effect.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to plaster this place with ad's! Ok, bad joke. You guys and gals keep this place afloat and Mak and I are beyond appreciative of your support.

Sincerely,

Yoder
User avatar
yoder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 am

yoder wrote:Hey Shack members and followers,

If you haven't noticed, we're getting hit hard by the Russians...spamming the forum at will. I'm getting around 20 new registrations per day. Cleaning them out by hand is becoming cumbersome, so I've temporarily shut off registration for any new members.

With that said, The Shack is due for an upgrade. Good time to do this since we're almost into the off season, however I will wait until after the SB. With this should come a more secure forum...and wait for it...perhaps a bit more mobile friendly! I know it drives many of you nuts, trying to view this forum on a phone. It drives me nuts anyway!

We're looking at a major upgrade and there is a chance I'll screw something up. Not worried about it since I always back up everything. Worst case, we're down for a day or two. Best case, it's a seamless transition.

I'll give everyone a heads up before I go under the hood and will try to upgrade during the wee hours of the morning, minimizing the effect.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to plaster this place with ad's! Ok, bad joke. You guys and gals keep this place afloat and Mak and I are beyond appreciative of your support.

Sincerely,

Yoder


Thanks for the heads up, Yoder.

Making this forum more mobile friendly will certainly help participation. Most of my musings come from either my desktop or my tablet, but I'm probably the exception as most people stay connected via a phone. Just in the last few weeks did my wife and I finally enter the 21st century and got smart phones.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7929
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:23 am

Personally I hate using a smartphone for anything web related. The screen is just too small for me to enjoy the experience.
But I know others swear by it so it will help them out a lot.
I haven't noticed any problems from new spammers. Probably because of the good work by Yoder and Makena.
Keep up the good work guys and thank you for providing this forum for us.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby Largent80 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 am

I think I ratted out every thread I saw.

I guess the election wasn't enough for them
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby mykc14 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks Yoder! I almost only use my phone and it can be difficult to reply to things and navigate at times, but overall it is still he best Hawks fans site on the Web!!!!!
mykc14
Legacy
 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:16 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I haven't noticed any problems from new spammers. Probably because of the good work by Yoder and Makena.
Keep up the good work guys and thank you for providing this forum for us.


For some reason, they were spamming the off topic forum a whole lot more than the Seahawks forum.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7929
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:19 pm

That makes sense considering there is a lot of political talk there.
I only pop in once in a while so I wouldn't have seen it.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby yoder » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:06 pm

NorthHawk wrote:That makes sense considering there is a lot of political talk there.
I only pop in once in a while so I wouldn't have seen it.

Out of the 20+ registrations per day, only one or two would post spam. I'm assuming the others were there just lurking, waiting to attack. I have pretty much all of them cleaned out, but geez...it's relentless. It's a combination of bots and humans. Anyway, I'm locking her down until the upgrade. I've been doing quite a bit of research and have a several countermeasures ready to be deployed. This is WAR! :lol:

In the meantime, post at will! Like I said, I'll give you all a heads up before HawkShack 2.0 is ready to roll!
User avatar
yoder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby Old but Slow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Appreciate your diligence, Yoder, a really good job.
Old but Slow
Legacy
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:05 pm
Location: Bellingham, WA 98225

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby Largent80 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:18 am

It would be great if there was a YouTube embed feature, maybe also Twitter.
User avatar
Largent80
Legacy
 
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby idhawkman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 am

you could change the .htaccess file on the site to reject any connections from Russia. Niger is another spamming nation, too. I'd restrict almost all other locals than U.K.

Just a suggestion.
User avatar
idhawkman
Legacy
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby Oly » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:47 pm

idhawkman wrote:you could change the .htaccess file on the site to reject any connections from Russia. Niger is another spamming nation, too. I'd restrict almost all other locals than U.K.

Just a suggestion.


Are spammers really so stupid that they don't use VPNs set to the USA? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just surprised. I mean, Chrome has a free VPN ad-ons with the USA and UK as options. It's not difficult.
User avatar
Oly
Legacy
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:01 pm
Location: Podunk, IN

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby yoder » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys, with the new upgrade I'm blocking several countries. The Russians are using Czech proxies.

For now, I changed the security question for new registrations and it immediately stopped the spam. It's an uphill battle, I'm trying to stay on top of it for you guys!
User avatar
yoder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: For Anyone Trying to Register

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Thank for doing what FB and several others say cannot do. It shows you that where there is a will there is a way.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:56 pm


Return to Seahawks Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest