The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:30 am

From Pederson:

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year,” Pederson said. “Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

Pleeeaassse, just a little sprinkle of that attitude for our Offense. We don't ask for much.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 am

NorthHawk wrote:From Pederson:

“You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year,” Pederson said. “Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that’s really where it all stems from.”

Pleeeaassse, just a little sprinkle of that attitude for our Offense. We don't ask for much.


I'd love to see it, but that's not Pete's style.

I didn't realize what a riverboat gambler Pederson is, and he got luckier than a 3-peckered billy goat in a herd of sheep. I mean, going for 2 in the first half? He loses that game by a point and they'd be burning effigies of him in downtown Philly.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7929
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 am

I didn't realize what a riverboat gambler Pederson is, and he got luckier than a 3-peckered billy goat in a herd of sheep. I mean, going for 2 in the first half? He loses that game by a point and they'd be burning effigies of him in downtown Philly.


True, but it also showed he had a lot of confidence in his Offense and Defense to get back to the end zone again before the Pats got ahead. And it worked in his favor.
I just hope we get a little more creative on Offense. Maybe with the Eagles win, teams like ours will open up a little.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 am

NorthHawk wrote:True, but it also showed he had a lot of confidence in his Offense and Defense to get back to the end zone again before the Pats got ahead. And it worked in his favor.
I just hope we get a little more creative on Offense. Maybe with the Eagles win, teams like ours will open up a little.


When you have an offensive line like the Eagles have, and the way they were dominating the Pats D, those types of gambles are a little easier to make. I certainly wouldn't have confidence in our offense to take any kind of gamble of the type Pederson was taking all game.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7929
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 am

Agreed, but a little aggressiveness and creativity on Offense is something that could help.
NorthHawk
Legacy
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57 am

Re: The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby trents » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:52 am

Actually, I was quite impressed with the O lines of both the Patriots and the Eagles. It was incredible how clean they kept their quarterbacks. That is a strong point for both teams and the Hawks need to figure out how to get to that point or at least close to it.

But yes, I think creativity in play calling reinforces the success of a good O line in that it keeps the defenses honest. They just can't pin their ears back and sell out on the rush.

The other thing I noticed yesterday was how effective the Patriot's uptempo style was in neutralizing Philly's pass rush. By the end of the 2nd quarter Philly's D line was pretty gassed and hence we saw NE move up and down the field at will in the second half. Fortunately for Philly, they were also pretty much able to move the ball at will to keep scoring. But that's how NE is able to come from behind so often.
trents
Legacy
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Re: The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:56 am

NorthHawk wrote:Agreed, but a little aggressiveness and creativity on Offense is something that could help.


Aggressiveness, yes, unwise gambles, no. I don't want to see Pete going for two in the first half of a game when he's up by 5.

What I liked most about Pederson is what you mentioned earlier as to how he could adapt his offense to the personnel he had by taking a few plays from Chip Kelly's old offense that Foles had excelled in.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7929
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338

Re: The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Too bad offensive coaches with that attitude don't win more Super Bowls. The conservative style Pete uses wins more Super Bowls over time. Excitement over one Super Bowl win doesn't change that reality. Defense and a strong run game win more often than high fliers playing aggressively.

Steelers, Cowboys, New England during it's dominant early years, Green Bay back in the day, the Ravens, and the list could go on. Ground and pound with a strong defense and QB that can step it up when needed is how you win Super Bowls.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 12:38 am

Re: The difference between an Offensive and Defensive HC

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Too bad offensive coaches with that attitude don't win more Super Bowls. The conservative style Pete uses wins more Super Bowls over time. Excitement over one Super Bowl win doesn't change that reality. Defense and a strong run game win more often than high fliers playing aggressively.

Steelers, Cowboys, New England during it's dominant early years, Green Bay back in the day, the Ravens, and the list could go on. Ground and pound with a strong defense and QB that can step it up when needed is how you win Super Bowls.


I saw a documentary a number of years ago that argued conservative coaches were great leading up to the SB but could never quite win one, the two most prominent that I can recall being Bud Grant and Chuck Knox, vs. the more liberal coaches, ie Landry, Walsh, etc. Of course, that's about 3 decades ago and not relevant to the discussion.
User avatar
RiverDog
Legacy
 
Posts: 7929
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Kennewick, WA, 99338


Return to Seahawks Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests