Any F.A. you guys would want on the Hawks?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Any F.A. you guys would want on the Hawks?

Postby Largent80 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:21 am

Kinda early but now that the SB is over it's time to start thinking about this. Here are just a couple. I have quite a few more but will leave them for you, or later.

Malcomb Butler Dude stole our 2nd Lombardi and was benched for yesterdays game. That was puzzling and to see the Patriots lose one has to question that move. We could certainly use a vet CB at this point, not sure of his salary demands.

LeGarrett Blount. I wanted him out of college but we traded for Lynch so he went elsewhere. He is as close to Lynch as there is. Can break tackles and still has tons of juice left and the Hawk running game as of right now is possibly the WORST in the league for a myriad of reasons, but getting Blount would not be like getting Eddie Friggin Lacy.
Largent80
Legacy

Re: Any F.A. you guys would want on the Hawks?

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:13 pm

No. I want to see Seattle make the cold moves it needs to make like cutting Kam and Avril soon. The big reason I feel we're starting to degrade is Pete and John aren't making the hard calls any longer on personnel, cutting bait with older player slowing down. The reason Belichick and company have stayed on top is their ability to make those cold moves in the best interest of winning. Pete's win forever philosophy doesn't work well if he can't make the cold moves necessary to build a winner any longer.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 pm

The reason the Pats have had success is because of Brady. They paid him above all. The rest were moving chess pieces and that is NOT the way this F.O. does business.

Right now, they are going over all of this stuff and I guarantee a lot of those older high salaried players are gone even if they have to eat cap. The Seahawks are going to need a few F.A. to come in, it's obvious. Problem is they created a cap problem, and they created a void of draft picks so their work is of high importance.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Largent80 wrote:Malcomb Butler Dude stole our 2nd Lombardi and was benched for yesterdays game. That was puzzling and to see the Patriots lose one has to question that move.

I realize that you didn't start the thread to discuss the very late benching of Malcolm Butler, but it was a strange decision, highlighted by the fact that the Eagles set a Super Bowl record for passing yardage.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm

He will be expensive, probably a #2 corner, so I don't see the cash and draft pick depleted Hawks getting him but I'm intrigued.

I REALLY want them to get Blount. I know people hate him for his mocking M.L. in their parade but the guy can pound the rock and break tackles.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Really wish they had drafted King out of Washington, set up at corner, a true number 2, with ball skills... Shaq reminds me of Kelly Jennings to much, close, but unable to play a football in the air. His footwork and technique are very solid for a big corner, and his hips aren't bad. However, his ability to find and play the ball leaves a lot to be desired.

When Sherman went down, it's incredibly telling that Maxwell who was walking the streets for weeks, and had played up and down for three weeks in Seattle got the call to shadow Dez Bryant... I'm not entirely sure whether Shaq will ever be much more than a stop gap .
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:33 am

Well it doesn't do us any good to lament but to move forward with new plans. I think Shaq played ok for a rookie but if he doesn't pick up the game better this year then he is what we saw last year.

I seriously think we need help at CB.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 am

A couple of options for Guards that might help are Matt Slauson for a shorter term - he's older so maybe 2 or 3 years and Josh Kline who is a few years younger at 28.
Slauson had a torn biceps early last year but he can play all 3 interior positions and Kline is considered a good pass blocker.
Norwell would cost too much, and I worry about Pugh because he's had some back problems which can become chronic depending on the issue.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:17 pm

I think FA o-Linemen should be avoided. Overpriced and always have an injury aspect.\

I still can't believe they paid 8 mil for a dump truck last year. We need to draft G and let Solari work with the rest.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Le'veon Bell is going to be a fair this year. I say we go after him and lock him up for 4 years or so. I think he could help us a lot.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:25 pm

8-)
politicalfootball wrote:Le'veon Bell is going to be a fa this year. I say we go after him and lock him up for 4 years or so. I think he could help us a lot.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Largent80 wrote:I think FA o-Linemen should be avoided. Overpriced and always have an injury aspect.\

I still can't believe they paid 8 mil for a dump truck last year. We need to draft G and let Solari work with the rest.

I think drafting one is a must, but look how Whitworth and Sullivan helped the Rams OL improve and what we lost when we cut Evans.
The right players can be a real help in developing young players.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:08 pm

We paid 8 Mil for Joke. And the joke was on us.

I don't have much confidence in this administration to pick "the right guy".

Besides we have other needs and there are a TON of good college G in the draft.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

But can they all play at an NFL starter level? Probably not right away for most of them. That's where a seasoned pro helps the development.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Largent80 wrote:We paid 8 Mil for Joke. And the joke was on us.

I don't have much confidence in this administration to pick "the right guy".

Besides we have other needs and there are a TON of good college G in the draft.

That was the old adminstration, ie Bevell and Cable.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 am

All of the scouts and talent evaluators are in on everything the Seahawks do, it isn't just the OC and OL coach. In F.A. Doctors are heavily involved and thats where I am concerned with Seattle. They paid all that money to Joke even after he had 2 horrendous injuries and during the season he missed multiple games to get "cleaned up".

To me that is B.S. The Hawks cannot afford to do that THIS year. They are cap and draft pick strapped. Whomever they sign in FA they had better knock it out of the park and I don't see it happenning unless they take chances on PROVEN/older players, not underacheiving and injured O-Line players.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 am

You can't predict injuries. Look at Joe Thomas of the Browns that people were thinking we should try to get. He didn't miss a game until this past year.
Same thing with Sherman - injuries just happen and sometimes you just have to take a chance.
Injury histories are something different and I agree we have to be careful about paying for players that have had recent ones or a history of problems.
For me, chronic back problems are a red flag because they are so difficult to diagnose and get right quickly.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am

Getting cheaper and younger on the defense is inevitable.

Defensive players Seattle seems to hit on more often. I think the team just has a much better eye for talent on that side of the ball.

The advantage for that approach, is that defensive rookies will make a bigger impact early in their careers. It's a bad year for needing a safety. But I don't doubt there is a handful that capture this teams' attention.

The reality is, Seattle sent away a lot of draft capital this year and next. Injuries are becoming an annual issue for the core players. Thomas is a real tough one to let go. Also has the most capital in return.

A lot of these core players are in their final year (Thomas, Sherman, Wright, Avril, Clark). It is unwise to sign guys to third contracts. They succumb to age and we can already see that with this group. Like it or not, Seattle is already in the nascent stages of a roster refresh. And this team doesn't have the draft capital to make that happen.

Something will have to give. As much as looking at what the defense will look like hurts without them. The reality is that many or most of those players will be gone after this season. If we think that we have another legitimate championship run with this group -- then we should stick with them.

If we think that the last three years pattern of the LOB missing members for the majority of the season persists into next year -- then it's probably time to rethink. I said it a couple years ago that there will come a time when the names on the jerseys don't play like the names we have grown to love. That time appears to have already arrived. Certainly Bennett had a very poor year despite adding Richardson who gobbled up most of Bennett's double teams. He was a great addition who didn't turn out great for the defense. But looking at how we played, it was clear to me that the stalwarts we've come to expect excellence from struggled.

At this point, we are exactly at the "is it better to trade them a year early than a year too late" stage. Actually it's either trade them early or settle for mid round 2020 comp picks. Which are basically worthless for the purposes of this program.

I'm not averse to letting guys go a year early. This is the final year for many of these guys. If we're going to get some real contribution from this year's draft class then it'll almost assuredly have to come on the defensive side.

This roster is no longer a top 10 defense in the NFL. 11th in yards allowed, 13th in points and 20th in rushing yards allowed. For a team whose blueprint for winning requires that -- it's something that honestly should be considered.

This is a draft where there is a lot of decent talent in the 25-90 range. It's a draft where you'd like to have 4 picks in the 2nd through 3rd rounds. We have zero. There isn't a Thomas. But there are good secondaries in this league that don't have a FS like Earl.

The case could be made to redo this roster and to do it this year. Specifically, there is no other option to recoup draft capital if we don't trade them before this draft. So either we're going to get something going forward or we're going to hope that we will be healthy all year for the first time since 2013, and the clear decline in quality early in the year when this team was 100% healthy defensively was a mirage.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Gee Scott said there will be "jaw dropping" changes this off season.
Some big deals or cuts may make us wonder what they are doing, but something has to be done about the Cap, salary imbalance, and age of some of the Defensive stalwarts.
If it's what he suggests in magnitude, it will be somewhat sad but a necessary move in the long run.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

I agree on the Guards. One of those dudes would be nice. When the notion of staying away from FA OL came up, I was all set to point out the improvement on the Rams front via “old” bets in FA but North beat me to the punch. Trouble is around here, we are left to feel uncertain about how much of the Hawks failures on O have been scheme/approach/coaching and how much has truly been a dearth of talent. Other linemen and RBs leave and find success??

I’d love to a lineman or two. That said, don’t know how bare the cupboards are gonna be on D yet.
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 am

I read a poster (don't know if it was in this forum or not) who said they weren't as concerned about the Defense as Pete knows how to build one. I tend to agree with that viewpoint. There have been a few minor failures in FA on the Defensive side, but some huge successes with Avril, Bennett, and maybe Jordan, but the concern is on Offense where we tend to whiff a lot. Consider trying to make JG into a blocker when everyone else knows he's not that, or the signing of Webb on the OL and releasing Evans, not to mention the Harvin drama and the failure of Lacy to seize the starting RB job while letting go of Collins who did well in Baltimore. Maybe part of it was Cable on the OL side and Solari will be different, but just maybe they don't know what they need along the OL to make the Offense a more equal partner in the wins for the team.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 am

NorthHawk wrote:You can't predict injuries. Look at Joe Thomas of the Browns that people were thinking we should try to get. He didn't miss a game until this past year.
Same thing with Sherman - injuries just happen and sometimes you just have to take a chance.
Injury histories are something different and I agree we have to be careful about paying for players that have had recent ones or a history of problems.
For me, chronic back problems are a red flag because they are so difficult to diagnose and get right quickly.

Boy, ain't that the truth! Russell Okung made around 50 consecutive starts at Oklahoma State and the minute he gets on the field with us, he starts getting injured. Sam Bradford is another name that comes to mind when it comes to injuries.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Largent80 wrote:Kinda early but now that the SB is over it's time to start thinking about this. Here are just a couple. I have quite a few more but will leave them for you, or later.

Malcomb Butler Dude stole our 2nd Lombardi and was benched for yesterdays game. That was puzzling and to see the Patriots lose one has to question that move. We could certainly use a vet CB at this point, not sure of his salary demands.

LeGarrett Blount. I wanted him out of college but we traded for Lynch so he went elsewhere. He is as close to Lynch as there is. Can break tackles and still has tons of juice left and the Hawk running game as of right now is possibly the WORST in the league for a myriad of reasons, but getting Blount would not be like getting Eddie Friggin Lacy.

Pass and pass.... mediocre talent , you're welcome to fool yourself on Butler if you choose to, and a guy who ultimately loves weed to much to continually stay on the field. Talent isn't the question with Blount, it's off field decision making. I'm leery of signing a guy that already has had multiple issues with weed in the NFL in Washington that has legal weed shops on literally every corner.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Let's hope with the States legalizing Cannabis, the NFL will let go of that stupid rule.
Some people find it helps them recover and it certainly isn't a performance enhancing substance.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 pm

Not arguing the pointlessness of the rules, just that unfortunately that archaic rule continues to exist, and it would be foolish to bring someone with multiple issues to Washington as not expect a problem.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 am

NorthHawk wrote:Let's hope with the States legalizing Cannabis, the NFL will let go of that stupid rule.
Some people find it helps them recover and it certainly isn't a performance enhancing substance.

Although I'm not a user, I'm not personally against it, and I agree, it's pretty silly to have that kind of a rule. But no way is the NFL going to change their pot policy and look soft on drugs, not after all the flak they've taken over the anthem protests.

I'll also mention that even though pot is legal in this state, it's still against many company's policies and they can and do discharge people for coming to work under the influence of it or if they are found to have it in their possession on Co property. So the NFL's rule is not out of the ordinary.

Additionally, pot is still against federal law, and the Trump administration has announced that they are not turning a blind eye in states that have legalized it as did the previous administration.

Sorry to take the thread off on a tangent.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 am

Both good points that show it would be difficult to remove that rule, but eventually it will happen - maybe before the Feds legalize it.
All they have to do is stop testing for it. Breaking the law will always be something that will attract attention from the NFL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:48 am

The comp picks are going to be a touchy aspect of free agency for Seattle. Right now only 13 mill for the cap and no 2nd or 3rd rounder.

S.Richardson leaving would probably net a 3rd, same with Jimmy, and P Rich maybe a 4th. These would all be for next year, but this year future comp picks can be traded.

This will be J.S.'s most challenging off season and a VERY important one for not only now but the future.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:39 pm

I'd really like to get the Eagle's center Mack. I know Britt is suppose to be good but what Mack does is phenomenal. Not sure if he's a F.A. but if he is, I'd get him.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 am

A lot depends on what they do with their own F.A.

There is a LOT of money tied up into the defense. Last year it was $93,714,666 on defense and $60,885,063 on offense.

20 Mil of that offensive money was RW. S. Richardson presents a problem because he was slightly above average at his job and made 8 mil. His price tag should go way up (maybe 10 or more)and I would say let him walk and get a futures probably 3rd rounder which could be traded before the draft.

The other Richardson is a ?...There is talk of 8 mil. If thats the case Buh-Bye. and probably a 4th rounder in comp. Which could also be traded.

Bennett will probably have the axe fall, or be traded.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 pm

NorthHawk wrote:All they have to do is stop testing for it (pot). Breaking the law will always be something that will attract attention from the NFL.

Once again, the NFL is hyper sensitive to anything that suggest that their players are not the clean cut, family friendly, mom and apple pie group of guys. Once word gets out that they no longer test for pot, the league will be hit square between the eyes with a soft on drugs label. Only untill the feds decriminalize it, of which I am personally in favor of, will the league do away with the policy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 pm

RiverDog wrote:All they have to do is stop testing for it (pot). Breaking the law will always be something that will attract attention from the NFL.

Once again, the NFL is hyper sensitive to anything that suggest that their players are not the clean cut, family friendly, mom and apple pie group of guys. Once word gets out that they no longer test for pot, the league will be hit square between the eyes with a soft on drugs label. Only untill the feds decriminalize it, of which I am personally in favor of, will the league do away with the policy.[/quote]

What in the hell does this have to do with the Seahawks and free agency?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Largent80 wrote:What in the hell does this have to do with the Seahawks and free agency?

No need for the large and bold print. I'm not that old.

It has nothing to do with the topic. I was responding to North Hawk.

This isn't the first time a thread has strayed away from topic. It happens all the time. If you don't like it, report us to the mods.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:18 am

Sorry, I shouldn't post when things are getting to me in my life.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 am

Largent80 wrote:Sorry, I shouldn't post when things are getting to me in my life.

No sweat, bro. Thanks for the apology.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:03 pm

I feel a little guilty (maybe sheepish is the better description) because it was me that sidetracked the thread.

Getting back to the topic, there may be a few TEs that show up on the FA list after being cut that our FO could be considering.
One that took some time off was Gary Barnidge and he might be someone to look at for a year or 2. He's 32 now, but if they let both Graham and Willson go, he could help with any young TE we have.
He has good hands and is an excellent blocker.
Trey Burton from the Eagles might be OK, too. He's behind Celek and Ertz in the lineup, but still got on the field with the Eagles diverse Offense. He's only 26 and might not be too expensive.

Since Shottenheimer has used TEs extensively in the past, and we will probably lose Graham, an addition or 2 will be needed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:19 pm

When Vannett was drafted he was supposed to be this awesome blocker. Haven't even seen much of him at all so just wondering what the plans are at TE. But if getting a running game going is a priority then maybe they will pick up a TE.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:05 am

Don't forget, we have two FA tight ends. If we don't resign Graham, we're almost going to have to resign Luke. If both walk, then we're really in a pickle.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am

RiverDog wrote:Don't forget, we have two FA tight ends. If we don't resign Graham, we're almost going to have to resign Luke. If both walk, then we're really in a pickle.

That's why I was considering a TE as a possible FA target.
We will be left with just young guys if both Willson and Graham leave and with a new Offensive scheme and plays, TE might be a prominent position if Schottenheimers past is any indication.
Experienced players can really help with the transition to the new Offense, especially the subtleties.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 pm

Sorry to just jump in but I will stay on topic. I think we should make Bell an offer he is about the best FA RB available make him a realistic offer he will consider it.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum