The Reality of the Situation

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The Reality of the Situation

Postby trents » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 pm

All the analysts agree that things don't look real good next year for the Hawks staging a comeback to become a dominant team, possibly contending for a Superbowl appearance.

There are injuries to key players, draft picks and free agency/trade acquisitions that haven't panned out the last three years, aging stars combined with salary cap limitations that all seem to point in the direction of a rebuilding phase rather than a return to glory.
trents
Legacy

Re: The Reality of the Situation

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:43 am

Sort of a rebuild, but as long as you have a QB you can turn it around quick. It does seem like Pete and John have made too many mistakes in trades and contracts taking big chances that haven't worked. They will need to ruthlessly retool to get back to it in my opinion. I don't know if Pete has it in him any longer. It feels like Pete is more interested in assuming the best than doing what he did when he got here and pursuing the best.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:30 am

trents wrote:All the analysts agree that things don't look real good next year for the Hawks staging a comeback to become a dominant team, possibly contending for a Superbowl appearance.

There are injuries to key players, draft picks and free agency/trade acquisitions that haven't panned out the last three years, aging stars combined with salary cap limitations that all seem to point in the direction of a rebuilding phase rather than a return to glory.

I gotta agree with you, trents. We've been living on borrowed time for the past 3 years. Our defense and quarterback has kept us in most games, but now that defense could look a lot different next season: Sherman, Chancellor, Avril, Bennett, even Earl Thomas might not be back. Our window may have closed, at least for a couple of years. But we do have Russell, and he probably has another year or two before his age forces him to adjust away from his Houdini acts that we've been so reliant on to sustain our offense over the past few seasons.

The first couple of years of Pete's regime, we hit it big in the draft. My theory is that Pete was close enough to the college game that he knew a lot of players and had contacts with numerous other coaches around the country, particularily on the west coast, that he had an insight that his NFL counterparts didn't share. He knew Richard Sherman (Stanford), Brandon Browner (Oregon State), and Bobby Wagner (Utah State), knew what Marshawn Lynch (Cal) could do because of his close proximity to where they played. Now that he gets further and further away from the college game, that advantage has diminished.

We'll see how Pete responds. With the purging of the coaching staff, he's definetly recognized that he has to make some changes if we are to remain competitive and get back to the type of football we were used to seeing.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:05 am

Handicapping at this point makes zero sense as we have 2 new coaches in key positions, free agency and the draft.

One never knows until the entire pot gets stirred what the final results will be.

It's real easy to say all of the negative stuff right now but I feel we are one running game away from being a very good team again.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:40 am

trents wrote:All the analysts agree that things don't look real good next year for the Hawks staging a comeback to become a dominant team, possibly contending for a Superbowl appearance.

All of anybody don't agree on anything.

While we certainly have a tougher row to hoe than we have since Pete and John's first year I'll hold off on the rebuild talk as long as we've still got Russ and Bobby as our veteran cornerstones.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 am

We've got awesome players all over the field. We will lose some, but we will GAIN some. PLUS we have new coaches and that will be different for opposing teams as well. So to gloom and Doom before it even begins is silly.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby trents » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Why is it we can only incorporate "one embedded quote" when we reply to a post. That is frustrating. Of the many forums I participate in this is the only one with that restriction.
trents
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:43 pm

trents wrote:Why is it we can only incorporate "one embedded quote" when we reply to a post. That is frustrating. Of the many forums I participate in this is the only one with that restriction.

I like it. I can't stand a post within a post within a post within a post, ad-nauseum ... too much trouble finding the content of the most current post.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Got to say, have to agree that the upcoming season looks to be a reload or partial rebuild season.

BUT! Sometimes, a team in just this sort of situation (providing they keep a strong nucleus) gels much faster than anyone figures and that team makes a championship run. Now, breaking in two new coordinators may or may not dampen or quicken the process. It all depends on how fast the players "buy in" to what the new coaches are teaching. This is exactly where veteran leadership can make all of the difference in the world.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby DGontheQT » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Shouldn't our priority be to sign Wilson to a new contract now ? I would be planning for seasons ahead , not just next season. Front-End his contract while the team has a bit of a rebuild , stockpile some draft picks , and when we are close enough , add the free agents that will take us to the top again. We need Russ to sign , or state his intentions , so we can clearly plan the team's future (and not just wing it , the way it appeared to be done last year)
DGontheQT
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:58 pm

DGontheQT wrote:Shouldn't our priority be to sign Wilson to a new contract now ? I would be planning for seasons ahead , not just next season. Front-End his contract while the team has a bit of a rebuild , stockpile some draft picks , and when we are close enough , add the free agents that will take us to the top again. We need Russ to sign , or state his intentions , so we can clearly plan the team's future (and not just wing it , the way it appeared to be done last year)

They're really up against the Cap, so it might be a good idea from just that PoV. His cap hits are 23.7 Million this year and 25.2 Million next year according to Spotrac. As well, every year the cost of Franchise QB's goes up so another year will cost even more. If they extend him early, they might be able to recover some significant Cap space.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 am

trents wrote:Why is it we can only incorporate "one embedded quote" when we reply to a post. That is frustrating. Of the many forums I participate in this is the only one with that restriction.

I agree with Cbob. Allowing multiple posts in a reply forces you to sift through comments that you've already read, stuff that many times doesn't even pertain to the reply simply because people are lazy and don't want to delete the stuff that's irrelevant. Besides, all you have to do is copy and paste the additional quote you want to include in your reply. It can be a bit of a pain in the butt but it makes for a much more reader friendly forum.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:26 am

Much like the refs on the field, the talking heads on the the networks are just plain stupid.
The Seahawks are Far from a doom and gloom, or sinking into a 5-11 season. Obviously, injuries...blah, blah.
Otherwise, we're gonna be OK.

The offense doesn't have to be complicated.
Down and distance, Bevell never got that concept to stick in his own mind.
So glad that Idiot is finally gone.

10-6 and a WC team is pretty realistic for this fall. 2019 is where I think our odds improve to get back to SB. This team is savy enough to make that leap in year 2 with the new staff. Keep it simple. The other two clowns overthought everything, and knew very little at the same time. Schott and Solari just need to deliver a meat and potatoes approach to that side of the ball.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 am

Once again, FIX THE RUNNING GAME, and we will be ok.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Largent80 wrote:Once again, FIX THE RUNNING GAME, and we will be ok.

Yep. Run game helps the offense and defense. They been trying since Marshawn left. It isn't working. We need a great, durable RB more than just about anything else.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby trents » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:36 pm

We have some very capable running backs on the roster now but there is a question about their durability. We need O linemen, running backs and defensive backs. To fill all those voids in one off season with our salary cap issues is a tall order.
trents
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:02 am

trents wrote:We have some very capable running backs on the roster now but there is a question about their durability. We need O linemen, running backs and defensive backs. To fill all those voids in one off season with our salary cap issues is a tall order.

And especially given that we don't have a 2nd or a 3rd round pick in the draft.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby trents » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 am

It is amazing to me that in the NFL how fast elite teams can (and usually do) degenerate into also rans.
trents
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:05 am

trents wrote:It is amazing to me that in the NFL how fast elite teams can (and usually do) degenerate into also rans.

It's in a large part because of parity. Even the worst teams don't usually stay that way for long (Browns of late not included) and they can often beat some of the best teams on Sunday.
It's also a big part of why the NFL is so popular. A teams fans can have hope every year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 am

How many here thought Philly would win anything after Wentz went down?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 am

Largent80 wrote:How many here thought Philly would win anything after Wentz went down?

Big surprise, for sure, but it really shows the importance of a good backup QB and a system that both starter and backup can play at a high level.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 pm

I think it shows more than the QB. That OL and DL made it possible.

The trenches are and should be the Seahawk focal point
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Largent80 wrote:I think it shows more than the QB. That OL and DL made it possible.

The trenches are and should be the Seahawk focal point

Yah, I've been saying for years the OL is the engine of the Offense so I'm with you there.
I think we have the basis of a good DL with Clark, Reed, Jones, and maybe Jordan but the OL needs consistency.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

So tired of ragging on the OL. a NEW coach so...... Just get the damned thing fixed. Trade, draft, demote...Whatever, just get the damn thing fixed.

DL?....Thats another problem with Bennett/Richardson and all their money.

I say get rid of both of them. Get younger and cheaper. It may cost us, but what did those guys actually give us last year?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Largent80 wrote:So tired of ragging on the OL. a NEW coach so...... Just get the damned thing fixed. Trade, draft, demote...Whatever, just get the damn thing fixed.

DL?....Thats another problem with Bennett/Richardson and all their money.

I say get rid of both of them. Get younger and cheaper. It may cost us, but what did those guys actually give us last year?

I think what is also factored in is the draft capital and Kearse that we lost with Richardson so it might be hard for them to just let him walk for a Comp pick in the 3rd round next year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Just to throw a little optimistic view of the subject. The Hawks besides a couple of blowouts were in every game with a chance to win. That was because of one thing one player, Wilson. And the major reason we lost games was a bad OL . We tried to fix it and it didn't work. Maybe we should spend some money on the OL we can move some salaries around and get a couple of great players in FA.

And that is all this team really needs. And a LB to play with KJ and BW and a CB to start with RS .

This is all we need and it is doable. Oh and a RB
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:11 am

The first clue will be, how many 1 yr ncaa starters or former DL converts did the Eagles have on their OL.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:28 am

I'm pretty sure that Fant is the only OL we have left that was a convert of anything. Haven't heard a peep about his rehab either. I guess it was good he was injured in pre season so his recovery time took up the entire season and then some. I would imagine he's got a ways to go.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:16 am

The point is, Fant was Never worth that kind of investment to begin with.
Neither is Infedi.
This kind of experimentation and crap drafting is what has killed the line, along with an idiot coach who we (thankfully and finally) got rid of.
Very curious if we're able to hit on a Single OL pick this spring that actually amounts to something.
Any good to decent OL shows some kind of progress as a rookie. The guys we select just keep getting worse or show very little to bank on for the future.
One OL has signed an extension over the last several yrs, and that's Britt. And even he was shuffled around before playing center. It was a shot in the dark that worked, but that's been the exception.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:00 am

You left out lasts years whiff on McDowell and we missed on Ramczeck, Robinson etc. Then hiring a guy coming off an injury that was a dreadful player even before the injury and that's on the F.O.

The OL coach was the main culprit however, and we still dont know if Fant is servicable.

And we need interior OL, and there are people available to help out, but the draft capital as of right now is not there to get one of them.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby politicalfootball » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:18 am

As I see it we need to find a couple of players in FA and a couple of players who will start or rotate in.

As I see it we need two guards a RB a CB and LB. Mostly we need some help at OL.

Wilson kept us in almost every game with a chance to win. We have a lot of needs I think we can get it done. It's time for Pete Carroll and John Schneider to work some more magic.
politicalfootball
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 am

Another unique aspect is that comp picks and EVEN UNAWARDED FUTURE ONES can be used in trades THIS YEAR.

So say we dont sign S and P Richardson, those are hypothetical 3rd and 4th rounders. And Graham would also net a 3rd (probably)...Those unawarded picks can be used in trades this year and a team that is loaded with picks this year would be a trading partner.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Year to year the game is a crapshoot. Who had the Jags in the AFC title game? Eagles hoisting the Lombardi? Titans in the second round? Rams #1 offense in the league? Its just hard to say but all the guys were injured fairly early in the second half of the season and Seattle was still a couple of swings of the leg from 11-5.

The NFC west looks like its going to be a dogfight but basing it on one blasting by the Rams is overblown. Stuff happens. They lost at home to Atlanta in the first round.
We will see.
GO HAWKS!!!!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby trents » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:17 pm

But it's interesting to me that because of NFL parity policies, free agency and greed, teams that succeed are actually sewing the seeds of their own decline even as they reach the pinnacle.
trents
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum