Vikings signed Cousins to WHAT?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Vikings signed Cousins to WHAT?

Postby burrrton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:04 am

"Per ESPN's Dan Graziano, Kirk Cousins' three-year Vikings contract includes a $3M signing bonus and fully guaranteed salaries of $22.5M, $27.5M and $29.5M, fully guaranteed $500K workout bonuses each year, up to $2M incentives per year, a no-trade clause and a no-transition tag provision in 2021."

For Kirk. Cousins.

Talk about the smell of desperation.
burrrton
Legacy

Re: Vikings signed Cousins to WHAT?

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:46 am

They also signed Sheldon Richardson to a one year deal.
They look like they are putting all of their chips in the middle this year and think they were only 2 pieces to the puzzle away from a SB appearance and win.
Possibly Cap hell in a year or two, too.
How much does this raise the bar for Wilson next year? He's gonna cost even more.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:03 am

How much does this raise the bar for Wilson next year? He's gonna cost even more.

Yep. Leave it to the Vikings to blow up the scale for a position (although who knows- maybe $30M/yr for a to-this-point-average-isht QB will seem like a bargain in a few years).
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 am

After the Niners made a backup quarterback that has never started in even a half a season the richest player in the NFL, it should be no surprise to anyone that the best QB on the FA market, himself a relatively unaccomplished, garden variety starter, would stumble into such a huge payday.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:26 am

RiverDog wrote:After the Niners made a backup quarterback that has never started in even a half a season the richest player in the NFL, it should be no surprise to anyone that the best QB on the FA market, himself a relatively unaccomplished, garden variety starter, would stumble into such a huge payday.

Good point.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:32 am

Paying the QB top 5 money just ensures no SB will come to your team.

I hope we don't break the bank for RW. I'd rather have a average QB on a first contract than a super star QB that breaks the bank and drains the talent from the rest of the "TEAM". It's not just Belicheat that makes the Pats perenial contenders, it is also TB's $17M/yr cap hit. That leaves money on the table to build a team around TB. He can also make up the difference in just a couple endorsements per year which come to him by the buckets full because they are perenial contenders.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 am

There is only one Tom Brady. Unfortunately, when the time comes Seattle will have to break the bank for Wilson or trade him......
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:44 am

curmudgeon wrote:There is only one Tom Brady. Unfortunately, when the time comes Seattle will have to break the bank for Wilson or trade him......

You are right. At that point, I'd rather trade him then break the bank. I'm a Seahawk fan first, not a player's fan. Being a Wilson fan regardless of everything else is not conducive to being a perenial contender and therefore, I don't want to break the bank for him.

I like Wilson and want him to do well and yes, he's a good QB. Therefore, I hope we can keep him when his next contract comes up but I also hope he does it like Brady and leaves some money on the table to help US win another SB or five....
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:11 am

Wow. Cousins gets more than $80MM guaranteed.
Combine that with his 2 Franchise tenders in Washington and he will have made over $120MM.

I wonder if this signing is the first step towards guaranteed contracts for QB's or maybe players at large.
At some point, the issue of a Franchise QB and Cap hits will have to be looked at. Something will have to happen at some point.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:15 am

NorthHawk wrote:Wow. Cousins gets more than $80MM guaranteed.
Combine that with his 2 Franchise tenders in Washington and he will have made over $120MM.

I wonder if this signing is the first step towards guaranteed contracts for QB's or maybe players at large.
At some point, the issue of a Franchise QB and Cap hits will have to be looked at. Something will have to happen at some point.

I got a lot of disagreement in here when I said fully guaranteed contract, at least for premium players, were inevitably coming ...
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:15 am

c_hawkbob wrote:I got a lot of disagreement in here when I said fully guaranteed contract, at least for premium players, were inevitably coming ...

Good call. I do wonder how common they're going to become, though, once a few franchises put themselves in cap hell with them (as I think this Cousins deal is possibly destined to do to MIN).
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:03 pm

idhawkman wrote:Paying the QB top 5 money just ensures no SB will come to your team.

I hope we don't break the bank for RW. I'd rather have a average QB on a first contract than a super star QB that breaks the bank and drains the talent from the rest of the "TEAM". It's not just Belicheat that makes the Pats perenial contenders, it is also TB's $17M/yr cap hit. That leaves money on the table to build a team around TB. He can also make up the difference in just a couple endorsements per year which come to him by the buckets full because they are perenial contenders.

Why would you post this? It's wrong on so many levels. Yes, having a franchise QB is what makes you a perennial contender. Regardless of Brady's generosity, it is him that makes the entire team work. Just like it is Rodgers in Green Bay, and Ryan in Atlanta, Peyton in Indy, Ben R. in Pittsburgh, and the list could go on. Having a franchise QB is literally the requirement for being a perennial contender. What team without a franchise QB has been a perennial contender in the modern era? Even in the older eras having a great QB relative to the time was extremely important to contending.

And they are not easy to find at all, which is why Kirk Cousins was just paid a huge amount of money. Why do you post statements that are so easily proven wrong.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:17 pm

I dont think Cousins is all that great, he is Phil Sims, he can win with a great team so whether he wins with Minny or not is in the balance. IF you are a Vikes fan, I would be worried about the rest of the league. IF you have to play the Rams and the Eagles in the same Playoff cycle, you are toast.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Isn't Rodgers and Ryan next up to get paid before RW? Up, Up, and Away.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Clem7 wrote:Isn't Rodgers and Ryan next up to get paid before RW? Up, Up, and Away.

They're both under contract but the teams were talking about re-negotiating their deals. Here's the latest about Ryan:

Dimitroff talked to Ryan’s agent, Tom Condon, at the combine, and via Ledbetter, Ryan could receive somewhere in the range of a six-year, $180 million extension.

That's $30M a season. Imagine what Rodgers will get.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks for update, RD. Wow.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:
Why would you post this? It's wrong on so many levels. Yes, having a franchise QB is what makes you a perennial contender. Regardless of Brady's generosity, it is him that makes the entire team work. Just like it is Rodgers in Green Bay, and Ryan in Atlanta, Peyton in Indy, Ben R. in Pittsburgh, and the list could go on. Having a franchise QB is literally the requirement for being a perennial contender. What team without a franchise QB has been a perennial contender in the modern era? Even in the older eras having a great QB relative to the time was extremely important to contending.

And they are not easy to find at all, which is why Kirk Cousins was just paid a huge amount of money. Why do you post statements that are so easily proven wrong.

I don't mind being a perennial contender but I'd rather have a SB. Think about the SB winners over the last few years, none of them have be Franchise QBs except for Brady.

SB QBs/teams this decade:

2011 Season Eli Manning/Giants vs Brady/Pats
2012 Season Flacco/Ravens vs Krap/49ers (Both were 1st contract QBs)
2013 Season Wilson/Seahawks vs Peyton/Denver (Wilson on first contract)
2014 Season Wilson/Seahawks vs Brady/Pats (I believe Wilson had just signed a new contract that year)
2015 Season Peyton/Denver vs. Kam/Carolina
2016 Season Brady/Pats vs Ryan/Atlanta (Both were not on their first contracts)
2017 Season Goff/Eagles vs Brady/Pats

What sticks out to me is that Brady is there a lot and I"m saying it is because he has supporting cast around him. You don't see Romo, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, etc there. With a franchise QBs salary the depth just can't built well enough to get to the promised land.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:After the Niners made a backup quarterback that has never started in even a half a season the richest player in the NFL, it should be no surprise to anyone that the best QB on the FA market, himself a relatively unaccomplished, garden variety starter, would stumble into such a huge payday.

And what if JG turns out to be one of the best QBs in the league next year, or Cousins leads the Vikings to the SB? Worth the contracts? Or, still not worth the contract because another QB had produced in prior years for less money.

The value of most things is much more fluid than the scale you're using. When I'm hungry, I'll pay $12 for a hamburger at a game. Still the same hamburger meat and bun (well, maybe worse), but the value is much higher based upon the circumstances. Same thing here.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 am

Futureite wrote:And what if JG turns out to be one of the best QBs in the league next year, or Cousins leads the Vikings to the SB? Worth the contracts? Or, still not worth the contract because another QB had produced in prior years for less money.

The value of most things is much more fluid than the scale you're using. When I'm hungry, I'll pay $12 for a hamburger at a game. Still the same hamburger meat and bun (well, maybe worse), but the value is much higher based upon the circumstances. Same thing here.

I was not commenting on the wisdom of either of those contracts. I was merely stating that once the Niners made a relatively unproven QB like JG the highest paid player in the league that you knew that a more seasoned QB like Cousins was going to get a monster deal.

Consequently, MVP's like Ryan and Rodgers are going to get paid well above what Cousins got.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:24 am

I don't mind being a perennial contender but I'd rather have a SB. Think about the SB winners over the last few years, none of them have be Franchise QBs except for Brady.

You seem to be equating a QB on his first contract as not a Franchise QB.
Many of these players became one before their first contract had expired.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 pm

River;

Gotcha. That makes sense. I agree with others that those type of QB contracts are going to make it much tougher to build a team in the future.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:29 pm

Letting the best dual threat QB in history with the team and NFL records to prove it leave Seattle would be the Hutch debacle times 100000. Are you Fing kidding me?? Hes one of the most popular dynamic players in the league, certainly the most popular Seahawk. It wouldnt shock me to find out all this wholesale jettisoning of contracts and talent elsewhere is borne of the reality that Seattle needs to try to renegotiate Wilson soon before we even get into the window of his contract expiring. all i can say is without Wilson Seattle is 5-11 last year so what about next year and the one after? Cant let him walk.

As for Cousins the dude has the attitude and fire of a leader, a huge accurate gun and Redskins single season and game records of a storied franchise as well as the greatest comeback in team history. If guys like Tannehill are getting paid its the going rate. Frankly I thought Keenum had earned the right to start and not sure the Vikes spent their money wisely bringing in a new starter but someone was going to pay it for him anyway. Its rumored he was shanahans favorite in Frisco.

That said the Garroppolo kid is slick, has the swagger and GQ looks, like the guy who should have replaced Brady this offseason after his swoon song where he looked 45 losing to the Eagles and being outplayed by Nick Foles of all people. Frisco is the team to watch in the division with JG under contract. Hopefully Sherm has no gas in the tank and ruins the chemistry running his mouth but .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Um, I'm seeing more, not less franchise QBs on that list than not. Ryan, Manning, Eli, Brady, hell even Cam despite me not feeling hes deserving of that claim could be argued to be one.... realistically, pretty much Kap and Foles only "non" franchise type QBs, you can attempt to add Flacco I suppose, but Flacco ain't had a running game, or really any valuable receiver since * and actually during* that SB season.... he has to be the least built around franchise type QB I can think of in the last 30yrs...

Even if you include him, that's 3 maybe 4 arguably, which isn't much of a group....

Having franchise QB on rookie deal a bonus... not a necessity. Seattle wasn't paying a ton when they won to Wilson, but they honestly weren't paying a ton to anyone not named Lynch, Okung or Unger... all that money tied up came after, not before.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum