Hawks sign Fluker

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Hawks sign Fluker

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Largent80
Legacy

Re: Hawks sign Fluker

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Decent pick up.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm

At least we will have one lineman that has worked with Solari.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm

I guess it’s better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:I guess it’s better than a sharp stick in the eye.

LOL. Good One!
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Salvage opportunity. Here's to hoping he turns his career around here and turns into a Pro Bowl Guard. I know he was highly touted coming out of college.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:41 am

His team averaged 25 more yards per game rushing with him than without him. He's a stud in the run game even if a liability as a pass blocker on the edge (which is why he's a Guard now).
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:23 am

He's coming off a toe injury so I hope he came cheaper than Joeckel.
It's not as bad as a knee injury, but it can be a chronic problem for some.
He says he's 100% healthy now so let's hope he can last a year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:37 am

I'm a little more cautious. The Chargers spent an 11th overall on him as an OT, he didn't make it there and they moved him to guard, declined to pick up his option and let him walk, then he plays 1/2 season for the Giants, a team with lots of cap space and a talent poor roster, let him walk after a toe injury (turf toe?) had sidelined him for all but 6 games.

This sounds a whole lot like Luke Joeckel's career path. Schneider's still shopping in the bargain basement when it comes to the OL. I don't see this as a huge commitment to fixing the run game.

But on the other hand, we're clealy in a rebuild mode, so it's probably not a bad gamble.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:16 am

He sure fits the physical profile, though.
I don't know about his attitude, but if they want to become the bully again, they need to bring the nasty along with size.
If they create the OL like they seemed to want to do - and I don't know if it was Cable's view or Petes, it might end up looking like this:

LT Brown
LG Fluker (although I've only seen him play on the right)
C Britt
RG Posic
RT Ifedi

That's the physical profile that has been the norm.
They seem to like an athletic LT, big LG and smaller more athletic RG with a big RT.
Solari may have a different view of how best to compose the line, but it looks like size is an important consideration.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 am

NorthHawk wrote:He sure fits the physical profile, though.
I don't know about his attitude, but if they want to become the bully again, they need to bring the nasty along with size.
If they create the OL like they seemed to want to do - and I don't know if it was Cable's view or Petes, it might end up looking like this:

LT Brown
LG Fluker (although I've only seen him play on the right)
C Britt
RG Posic
RT Ifedi

That's the physical profile that has been the norm.
They seem to like an athletic LT, big LG and smaller more athletic RG with a big RT.
Solari may have a different view of how best to compose the line, but it looks like size is an important consideration.

According to his agent, the Seahawks told Fluker that they'd be working him out at RG:

Gilmore said Fluker is healthy after a toe injury ended his 2017 season after six starts with the New York Giants. The agent also said the Seahawks have told Fluker they are interested in him playing right guard, at least initially.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... 24189.html

The article also indicates that George Fant may be in the mix at RT and that they might move Ifedi back to RG.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:40 am

Fant at RT would break the pattern of a hulking RT as he's more athletic than the others.
Consider who we've had or tried there: Breno, Carpenter, Britt, Webb, and Ifedi. None were as athletic as Fant and I don't see him as being as physical at the others.
Maybe it means Solari has a different view than Cable and Pete is leaving it in his hands.
Something needed to change.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:08 am

In the 6 games Fluker played for the Giants they averaged 25 more rushing yards per game. The guy is a HUGE mauler, exactly what we need at guard and he will be on the right side with Ifedi and that is a LOT of pissed off beef over there. Add Dickson on that side and we are runnin the ball.

I still hope they get Wynn for LG, he is also a road grater with an attitude and smarts.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:12 am

RiverDog wrote:This sounds a whole lot like Luke Joeckel's career path.

NO. Joke showed up here on a stupidly paid contract after 2 serious injuries to his knee. He missed games to "clean it up". That signing was a disaster, this one is FAR from that.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 am

Largent80 wrote:In the 6 games Fluker played for the Giants they averaged 25 more rushing yards per game.

The 6 games Fluker started for the Giants in 2017 and their rushing defense ranking are as follows:

Tampa Bay (23rd), Denver (5th), Seattle (19th), LA Rams (28th) San Francisco (22nd), and Kansas City (25th).

Outside of Denver, that's some pretty unimpressive opponent rankings, so let's not go overboard on his Giants resume.

http://www.nfl.com/player/d.j.fluker/2540166/gamelogs

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... on/defense
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:41 am

Dude is a nasty HUGE man. Size 22 foot. 340 pounds, if you are questioning his ability to move people out of the way, you are delusional.

AT WORST they have improved competition at RG. How can that be a bad thing?.....Why can't any signing the Hawks make on the OL be viewed as a positive? Pointing out opponent rankings is weak, this is the NFL....Everyone points at anything negative these days, it's like why do we even bother to post anything at all?...Jeez. He's going to suck, what a waste, why bother, hawks are doomed to OL sucking again...Are there more BS reasons not listed?...At LEAST they are trying.

3 of those games listed above were road games. All teams struggle on the road. So try again to make the signing irrelevant.

He has a years worth of experience with our NEW OL coach. That is a positive.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Largent80 wrote:Dude is a nasty HUGE man. Size 22 foot. 340 pounds, if you are questioning his ability to move people out of the way, you are delusional.

I assume you're talking about drive blocking, and yes, that's big. But James Carpenter was a heck of drive blocker, too, but he could never make a block at the second level and he was a matador in pass blocking.

AT WORST they have improved competition at RG. How can that be a bad thing?.....Why can't any signing the Hawks make on the OL be viewed as a positive?

This is not a top tier FA signing. It's a bargain basement kind of a deal, a former #1 draft pick that busted at tackle and got moved inside to guard that's coming off a serious injury (sound familiar?). Like I said earlier, it's not a bad gamble as the guy does have a big upside and you're right, they are bringing in some guys to compete. But the only two teams he's ever played for have let him walk, so it's only natural to be a little suspicious about his ability.

Pointing out opponent rankings is weak, this is the NFL....Everyone points at anything negative these days, it's like why do we even bother to post anything at all?...Jeez. He's going to suck, what a waste, why bother, hawks are doomed to OL sucking again...Are there more BS reasons not listed?...At LEAST they are trying.

How is pointing out the fact that his team gained an average of 25 ypg more in the 6 games he started, a very small sample size, relevant, yet pointing out the ranking of the competition they did that against "weak"? I was only qualifying the statistic that you quoted.

3 of those games listed above were road games. All teams struggle on the road. So try again to make the signing irrelevant.

And 3 of those games were at home, so it sort of balances out, doesn't it? FYI I never said or implied that the signing was irrelevant. You're putting words into my mouth.

He has a years worth of experience with our NEW OL coach. That is a positive.

Agreed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:36 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:His team averaged 25 more yards per game rushing with him than without him. He's a stud in the run game even if a liability as a pass blocker on the edge (which is why he's a Guard now).

Six games is not a very large sample size. After six games he went on injured reserve. He didn't do great in SD, then again SD isn't a great place. Be great to find a diamond on the salvage pile. But at this point that is all this is: an attempt to salvage a player with some potential that hasn't realized it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:37 pm

I assume you're talking about drive blocking, and yes, that's big. But James Carpenter was a heck of drive blocker, too, but he could never make a block at the second level and he was a matador in pass blocking.

The odd thing about Carpenter was his pass blocking improved a lot when he got to the Jets. At one point they thought he was their best pass blocker.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:40 pm

NorthHawk wrote:The odd thing about Carpenter was his pass blocking improved a lot when he got to the Jets. At one point they thought he was their best pass blocker.

That's true, and is a direct reflection on Tom Cable.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Evidently anyone the Seahawks sign are busts and have zero upside.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:46 pm

So Carpenter part doux.... horrible in pass protection, better/ plus run blocker.... I wonder how long before the he's a sieve, it's all about Wilson chants start.... lmao... y'all can't wait to dump players, then get happy when they sign the same player. :lol:
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm

The odd thing about Carpenter was his pass blocking improved a lot when he got to the Jets. At one point they thought he was their best pass blocker.

He was never as bad as many professed, ultimately, he was decent in passing game at guard... just like Sweezy, and Britt, and well a bunch of others. He didn't "get better" in NY, he simply didn't have to live up to the unrealistic hype in Seattle.

The expectation in Seattle that a lineman never gets beat, especially when the QB holds the ball looking for a bigger play is unrealistic. As I said then, these are starting quality lineman, and they don't magically get "better" when they leave Seattle....

I'm sure in this thread there's people lambasting Ifedi, while lauding that waste of money Brown.... why? Because they bought the hype about Brown, ignoring what they see, and have read that Ifedi is poor, despite his lack of experience, so he's "aweful" despite severely out performing Brown.

Just chasing your tails.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 am

HumanCockroach wrote:He was never as bad as many professed, ultimately, he was decent in passing game at guard... just like Sweezy, and Britt, and well a bunch of others. He didn't "get better" in NY, he simply didn't have to live up to the unrealistic hype in Seattle.

The expectation in Seattle that a lineman never gets beat, especially when the QB holds the ball looking for a bigger play is unrealistic. As I said then, these are starting quality lineman, and they don't magically get "better" when they leave Seattle....

I'm sure in this thread there's people lambasting Ifedi, while lauding that waste of money Brown.... why? Because they bought the hype about Brown, ignoring what they see, and have read that Ifedi is poor, despite his lack of experience, so he's "aweful" despite severely out performing Brown.

Just chasing your tails.

I'm trusting our brain trust to get the job done. What I'm not trusting is random fans on the Internet thinking they know more about O-line play than paid coaches and GMs that have made a job of this that get paid hundreds of thousands to millions to do. You want some real truth: if you really knew how to analyze talent better than the guys doing it for a living, then you would be doing it for a living for big money. That's about as real as it gets.

And who is talking about Carpenter? He's doing what he was doing here: mediocre to league average play and he's overpaid for doing it. Fact is most are finding O-lineman don't differ that much. A high quality O-lineman like Walter Jones is hard to come by.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 am

No spit. Welcome to the club. I didn't profess a thing, and have for YEARS pointed out that lineman at big money was a waste, because the level of performance didn't drastically differ between young players, and over priced free agents, certainly doesn't stop many from offering their opinion ( including you).

As for Carpenter you might notice I responded to someone that brought him up, if you were to fired up to attempt to put me in my place you see that, that's your problem, not mine. If you've somehow magically missed the constant complaints on this board, the media, and fans... again not my problem. You can "trust" all got want in the FO to properly evaluate line talent, I do, and HAVE throughout the hyperbole. That said, they're the SAME people that the majority of fans have been whining about for the past 5 years, that " never invest in the line"....

Hell, I've been one of the VERY few that have defended players on that line, decisions to let players walk, choices that have been made, attempting to paint me any other way, makes you look like you got an axe to grind, and really very little relevant info to add.

If you need clarification, ask ANY old timer on my position on the line, or how many times we've gone round and round on the subject. Fluker didn't grade out better than Carpenter, if you want to claim he's mediocre and severely overpaid, what's that make Fluker? And how exactly does that reflect on your "faith" situation?

I was good with Carpenter, not ecstatic, but good.. as I was with Sweezy, Giacomini hell most of the players that have cycled through Seattle, I even went 10 rounds arguing Unger was a better center than Spencer when he was still a guard...

Ultimately, I don't give two shakes whether you want me offering my evaluation, or opinion, they're mine, and I've got lots of history, experience and knowledge to form them. I'm zero different than anyone else here doing the exact same.

Recommend going somewhere else if you're looking for actual talent evaluators, or a board with zero opinions, because it isn't here.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 am

I like Fluker's size. I hope he's agile enough to get in Donald's way. I think that is why they went out and got him. Just like why they got Carpenter when that Justin Smith guy in SF was so disruptive to our oline. We are building the pieces to win the division as ugly as that might be. Aboushi and Pocic are not going to stop Donald but maybe this Fluker guy just needs to get in his way or at least hit a few times and beat him up a bit. It's going to be a dog fight down inside with this guy. Just look at him. Would you want to line up opposite of him? (don't get me wrong, I'd do anything so long as I got paid for it including lining up opposite of this guy, but it wouldn't be the thing I'd want to do. Give me Aboushi or Pocic instead)

"The 27-year-old Fluker, who is 6-foot-5, 342 pounds, gives the Seahawks an experienced option to add to the competition at guard."
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:18 am

He was never as bad as many professed, ultimately, he was decent in passing game at guard... just like Sweezy, and Britt, and well a bunch of others. He didn't "get better" in NY, he simply didn't have to live up to the unrealistic hype in Seattle.

Just chasing your tails.

If you are talking about me in that comment, I'm about letting the players develop on the OL. My biggest issue is moving guys around each year then letting them go because they didn't pan out.
Carpenter was one, Britt was lucky to have found a spot and Ifedi has played 2 different positions in 2 years (effectively making him a rookie 2 years running) and people are calling for him to be cut.
OL takes years to develop and more so now with the college level not teaching many of the players how to play OL so find a spot for them on the line and let them learn the trade before moving them to another position.
You could tell last year that Ifedi was thinking too much and my hope is he is more comfortable this year with a different voice telling him how to play.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:45 am

Cables system was not for every man that they brought in. Ifedi is a talented athlete but asking him to be what Cable insisted (getting to the 2nd level, cutting) simply is not his forte. Having tall light guards simply is not the best way to run the ball. Having a non blocking pass catching TE also was not a good idea.

Getting a guy like Fluker is the right way to go. Inexpensive, experience and familiarity with the OL coach all are positives. Getting an experience TE that can block is also huge, as well as picking up a good WR with a desire to prove himself. All of these signings are positive. They have added by subtraction all the while saving money.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 am

I am not that impressed with him, but he's a body, on the OLine, so I am happy.
obiken
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm

Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:32 am

Largent80
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum