#1 in power rankings / near bottom in media coverage...

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

#1 in power rankings / near bottom in media coverage...

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 pm

...and in the end, I like it this way.

Let the four letter networks ignore us, and instead focus on another Romo meltdown, a Dez Bryant emotional relapse, and lament the crap seasons of the Redskins, the mediocrity of the Cowboys, and the 49ers, "hitting on all cylinders."

It's laughable how little attention we get publicly in relation to our success so far, but I think we benefit in the long run. Anything to help keep the chip on our shoulder.
Zorn76
Legacy

Re: #1 in power rankings / near bottom in media coverage...

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:31 pm

With all due respect Mr. Zorn I think we are seeing more media attention for the Hawks than ever before. Most talking heads are picking them to go to the bowl and they are on top of the power rankings. I agree it's not what the pukes or pats would get with the season the Hawks are having but the Hawks don't have the trophy's said teams do. I'm just enjoying the ride as I'm sure you are.

Screw the media, keep focused and get the trophy! GO HAWKS!
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm with DR: I'm seeing more Hawks coverage than ever before. The difference is really in the lower bound of how much coverage teams get. When the Hawks are mediocre or bad, they get no coverage. When the Cowboys are mediocre or poor, they still get a lot of coverage, and when they're good you could prosecute ESPN for sodomy with Jerry Jones under Texas state law.

Washington is getting a lot of coverage for the same reason that traffic slows down when there is a wreck on the other side of the freeway.

In my mind, it's probably the Chiefs that have the best reason to complain about a lack of coverage. They're tied with Denver for the second best record in the league and get a fraction of the coverage of either the Broncos or the Hawks. Yeah, they're overrated and have played the softest schedule in the league, but 11-3 deserves more than they're getting.

Hate to say it, but the 49ers are getting a lot of coverage right now because they are finding their form and, IMO, are the second best team in the NFL.
Oly
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Distant Relative wrote:With all due respect Mr. Zorn I think we are seeing more media attention for the Hawks than ever before. Most talking heads are picking them to go to the bowl and they are on top of the power rankings. I agree it's not what the pukes or pats would get with the season the Hawks are having but the Hawks don't have the trophy's said teams do. I'm just enjoying the ride as I'm sure you are.

I understand that it's more media coverage than in the past, but it's still relatively small compared to the success the Seahawks have demonstrated this season.

espn spent the 1st 15 minutes of NFL Live (or maybe sportscenter) breaking down the 'boys loss to GB, and said next to nothing about out shutout in NY. It's that kind of thing that's laughable, even if it's nothing new.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Distant Relative » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Zorn76 wrote:
Distant Relative wrote:With all due respect Mr. Zorn I think we are seeing more media attention for the Hawks than ever before. Most talking heads are picking them to go to the bowl and they are on top of the power rankings. I agree it's not what the pukes or pats would get with the season the Hawks are having but the Hawks don't have the trophy's said teams do. I'm just enjoying the ride as I'm sure you are.

I understand that it's more media coverage than in the past, but it's still relatively small compared to the success the Seahawks have demonstrated this season.

espn spent the 1st 15 minutes of NFL Live (or maybe sportscenter) breaking down the 'boys loss to GB, and said next to nothing about out shutout in NY. It's that kind of thing that's laughable, even if it's nothing new.

Cause the Hawks aren't Americas team YET. I get your point Zorn and I agree.
Distant Relative
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:20 pm

When the Cowboys are mediocre or poor, they still get a lot of coverage, and when they're good you could prosecute ESPN for sodomy with Jerry Jones under Texas state law.

You cracked me up on that one, Oly!

I don't mind the lack of coverage, and actually would prefer not to get a lot of press. The fewer possible distractions, the better. Look at what's happening with the Redskins, or what has happened to the Jets. We had lots of media attention when Brian Bosworth played for us, and what did it get us?

It's only natural that teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Redskins, Patriots, Packers, and Niners are going to get more media attention than teams like the Seahawks. They are far more recognizable to the casual fan and thus, attract the casual viewer or reader to pay attention, and thus increase their advertising revenue. It doesn't bother me a bit, and except as it relates to my being able to watch them, I don't give a rip if we are never on MNF or SNF.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Good point DR.
As long time fans we have become used to their less than stellar coverage when compared to "America's team" or the Pats and Steelers.

As others point out, who cares, our eyes are on the prize. And that is moving the Lombardi into the Clink!
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby daweez » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:27 am

Doesn't matter to me, actually I kind of like It this way. Fly under the radar, low key. Let their play on he field do their talking for them.
daweez
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:11 am

daweez wrote:Doesn't matter to me, actually I kind of like It this way. Fly under the radar, low key. Let their play on he field do their talking for them.

Me, too. I like being the underdog or the team that no one expects to win. The more pundits that pick us to lose, the more satisfying winning becomes. I love to see the self appointed experts eat their words.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby CascadeHawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:52 pm

If and when the Hawks make it to the Super Bowl it will be interesting to watch these same talking heads fawn all over the team as if they had made this prediction prior to preseason and stuck with it all year.

Granted a few may have done so but there are many like Dilfer who has dissed the Hawks every chance he got and will now be slobbering all over the mike about how good the Hawks are.
CascadeHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:40 pm

I think Zorn has a point. The media does not respect us, especially in light of the amazing run this Hawks team has had the past 2 seasons. They cant completely ignore us because we are the elephant in the living room. But IMO they are secretly hoping for Seattle to fall on its sword. But the nice thing about these Hawks is that there are enough outstanding and colorful players to make the Hawks "cool" to root for beyond our local fan base. That is huge, affecting ratings and yes the way officials will call critical plays in critical games. Ultimately the teams with strong national followings earned it on the field. Its a catch 22, a hill we have to climb to get where we want to be. So far so good.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:44 pm

We have supplanted the image of the Oakland Raiders when they were good. So be it. It really has come down to all other teams would rather not play the Hawks, if possible.
Clem7
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum