Rams First Team to Have Male Cheerleaders in NFL

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Rams First Team to Have Male Cheerleaders in NFL

Postby idhawkman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:33 pm

2 males tried out for the Rams cheerleader squad and made the grade. Can't wait to hear Rambo's comments on this.
idhawkman
Legacy

Re: Rams First Team to Have Male Cheerleaders in NFL

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Actually we used to have male cheerleaders in high school, but they were called yell kings. Lucky guys as they got to palm some booty while hoisting the girl cheerleaders.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:46 pm

These two are the first two in the NFL and they aren't like the male cheerleaders in college. They will be in the line with the ladies as if they were one of the ladies. Just seems wrong to me but then, I'm old fashioned and not progressive at all.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:30 am

Heard they are going to recruit off this board!
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:57 am

I don't know if I'd call it being old fashioned. I'm not interested in watching dudes dance feminine routines. I'm on the fence about watching the NFL this coming season anyway, but, if I do, I won't being paying much attention to the sidelines with this going on. For Rams games, that is.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:13 am

Rambo2014 wrote:Heard they are going to recruit off this board!

You're the only Rams fan that frequents this board, so I suspect it's ewe.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:14 am

Times are changing and this is a very interesting development. Cheerleaders only real purpose in the nfl is to offer a little eye candy for the men watching. In a time when NFL viewership is already on the decline this has the potential to push more people away.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 am

Reading the comments in this thread make me think it’s time to do away w/ it all together. As a woman, I can’t say that I appreciate what they bring (actually, I think it’s silly). Palming their booty and eye candy for men make me more sure than ever. 86 them.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:33 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Reading the comments in this thread make me think it’s time to do away w/ it all together. As a woman, I can’t say that I appreciate what they bring (actually, I think it’s silly). Palming their booty and eye candy for men make me more sure than ever. 86 them.

I think that may be the direction it heads. Clearly you can't not allow men to be cheerleaders the easiest thing for teams/NFL might be to just get rid of them rather then deal with the issue that may become involved with having male cheerleaders. At the same time I don't have a problem with what they bring. I'm not one who spends much time watching or caring about the sex appeal of the cheerleaders but my wife and daughter both like watching them during games. I also like having cheerleaders in HS contests, although I think they serve a much more important and completely different purpose at that level.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:40 am

You're right, it seems to work at the HS and College level, and it may become popular at the NFL level, but it's not something that contributes to a good game. Having said that it could be a distraction for some during bad games...
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:46 am

Action green mankini......
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:10 am

If they're buff and in great shape, give the ladies something to look at during the game. Lots of women watch football now. Women like hot males as much as men like hot females. Female cheerleaders bore women. Maybe some male cheerleaders will give them something to look at and a reason to buy calendars. Seems like a smart move by the Rams. If it boosts interest in cheerleaders and merchandise, more teams will make the move. Himbos for the ladies.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:29 am

I figured all the Seagulls were trannys anyway
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:39 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:Reading the comments in this thread make me think it’s time to do away w/ it all together. As a woman, I can’t say that I appreciate what they bring (actually, I think it’s silly). Palming their booty and eye candy for men make me more sure than ever. 86 them.

Actually a better cheerleader subject would involve the one that the gal that got fired from her job by the Saints. It would have been a more interesting discussion than this silly topic.

I'm sort of in between on cheerleaders. I understand that they're part of the pageantry and tradition of the NFL, but it's not why I go to the games or watch them on TV so realistically I don't see the need for them. But on the other hand, they do quite a bit of PR work for the team outside of Game Day so I guess there can be a justification for them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:52 pm

:lol: The Little Lamblows.. :lol:
Largent80
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:33 pm

But on the other hand, they do quite a bit of PR work for the team outside of Game Day so I guess there can be a justification for them.

It's also a rather good chunk of experience and resume material for someone trying to break into the dance/performing business.

I hardly notice them, but I think if you ask the young women themselves you'll find they value the experience and exposure- they're not pole dancing for Pete's sake.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 am

burrrton wrote:It's also a rather good chunk of experience and resume material for someone trying to break into the dance/performing business.

I hardly notice them, but I think if you ask the young women themselves you'll find they value the experience and exposure- they're not pole dancing for Pete's sake.

Many of them also use their experience as NFL cheerleaders to help them obtain jobs in the modeling business, too. But my point was about their worth to the team, not how it can enhance their resume.

It will be interesting to see where this unlawful termination lawsuit that the fired cheerleader in the Big Easy is filing ends up. If the rules that the Saints imposed on their cheerleading squad is by any means typical of the rest of the league, it could open up a real can of worms as some of those requirements are clearly illegal.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:23 am

I totally agree. I didn't much like them before I had kids, but having to answer my daughters' questions about why the camera keeps trying to film up the women's skirts and why there are women in swim suits (their words) at a football game pushed me over the line. I'm trying to teach my daughters to be strong, independent leaders, and seeing women on TV just because they have big boobs doesn't help convey the message that society cares about the content of their character.
Oly
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:51 am

Oly wrote:I totally agree. I didn't much like them before I had kids, but having to answer my daughters' questions about why the camera keeps trying to film up the women's skirts and why there are women in swim suits (their words) at a football game pushed me over the line. I'm trying to teach my daughters to be strong, independent leaders, and seeing women on TV just because they have big boobs doesn't help convey the message that society cares about the content of their character.

That can be said for many people on TV. They are not there because of their character but usually because of some skill that most of the population does not possess be it looks, acting ability, charisma, athletic abilities, etc... if you were to have the same conversation with your daughter about the football players themselves would it be about the content of their character? Many of these women work very hard to be professional cheerleaders and it isn’t as simple as having big boobs. Personally I don’t pay much attention to them but that doesn’t mean I don’t respect the work they put into getting a job that they really wanted. When my daughter asks questions like that I say those women really wanted to be cheerleaders and worked hard to get there and you can be whatever you want to be if your willing to work hard for it too. I don’t want my daughter to be a professional cheerleader and we spend a lot of time talking about modesty and what you want people to know you for. At the same time she loves going to mini-cheer camps at our schools and adores the HS cheerleaders who mostly are leaders in the HS (ASB officers, class presidents, valedictorians, etc).
mykc14
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 am

mykc14 wrote:I don’t want my daughter to be a professional cheerleader and we spend a lot of time talking about modesty and what you want people to know you for. At the same time she loves going to mini-cheer camps at our schools and adores the HS cheerleaders who mostly are leaders in the HS (ASB officers, class presidents, valedictorians, etc).

I hadn't thought of it as a trickle down to the school system, but you're right. My boss (former boss as of today) has a grade school aged girl, and they travel all around the state going to various cheerleading competitions and just love it, posting pictures of them on Facebook and what not. It would be a shame to see an activity like that die out, which could happen if the NFL decided to do away with their cheerleaders.

But as Oly said, the NFL has carried this thing way too far with the close up shots of girls showing cleavage and the tight shorts ala the iconic Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. It's completely unnecessary and the revealing clothing doesn't attract a single viewer or add anything to the game day experience that couldn't be achieved without the halter tops and tight shorts. They could quell a lot of this if they simply insisted that all cheerleaders wear jogging suits as many do during the winter months anyway rather than the Hooter's outfits they now wear.

I really think that this discrimination charge being leveled at the Saints is going to force the NFL to change the way they manage their cheerleaders. It's already been the focus of multiple news features and daytime talk shows:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/27/new-o ... ion-charge

Personally I hope that she sues the pants off them (pun intended).
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:40 am

RiverDog wrote:
I hadn't thought of it as a trickle down to the school system, but you're right. My boss (former boss as of today) has a grade school aged girl, and they travel all around the state going to various cheerleading competitions and just love it, posting pictures of them on Facebook and what not. It would be a shame to see an activity like that die out, which could happen if the NFL decided to do away with their cheerleaders.

But as Oly said, the NFL has carried this thing way too far with the close up shots of girls showing cleavage and the tight shorts ala the iconic Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. It's completely unnecessary and the revealing clothing doesn't attract a single viewer or add anything to the game day experience that couldn't be achieved without the halter tops and tight shorts. They could quell a lot of this if they simply insisted that all cheerleaders wear jogging suits as many do during the winter months anyway rather than the Hooter's outfits they now wear.

I really think that this discrimination charge being leveled at the Saints is going to force the NFL to change the way they manage their cheerleaders. It's already been the focus of multiple news features and daytime talk shows:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/27/new-o ... ion-charge

Personally I hope that she sues the pants off them (pun intended).

Yeah I hope she wins too. I would love it if cheerleaders wore ‘more’ clothes. Even yoga pants under their skirts would be a big step, IMO, which is what I continually try and push at my HS ( so far to no avail), but it’s a fight I’m going to keep pushing.

Yeah cheerleading competitions are no joke and the competitors are definitely athletic. I don’t know if getting rid of cheerleaders would spell the end of cheerleading but it is one of the aspects of the NFL that gives women jobs and allows them to pursue a passion at a professional level, which I like. Hopefully this lawsuit will translate into higher pay and more rights, allowing them to control more about what they deem to be appropriate outfits and things like that.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:02 am

Iv'e seen more camel toe in yoga pants than tight shorts.

I say leave it alone. Some of these women get show business gigs from being dancers.

It's went on so long that I hardly pay attention to it.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:05 am

To get back on topic, this will be the face of the Rams for this year.

Largent80
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 am

Largent80 wrote:Iv'e seen more camel toe in yoga pants than tight shorts.

I say leave it alone. Some of these women get show business gigs from being dancers.

Just because you don't pay any attention to them doesn't mean that others don't, kids like Oly's daughter.

I'm not saying that they have to be eliminated, just put some clothes on them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:25 am

Hahaha, like people aren't exposed to scantily clad women almost everywhere.

The world is completely pussified these days, everyone is always bitching about something and you know what, that type of mentality rubs off on people and they actually start whining and bitching about everything.

This stuff is all over tv, even cussing is ok on tv now. You regularly hear Gawd damn, b**** etc every day. Hell go back as far as Dukes of Hazzard. So Daisy duke would be renamed Daisy Yogapant?
Largent80
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 am

Largent80 wrote:Iv'e seen more camel toe in yoga pants than tight shorts.

Yeah, but they would be wearing the skirt over the top. Probably not realistic in Hot weather, though.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 am

Largent80 wrote:Hahaha, like people aren't exposed to scantily clad women almost everywhere.

The world is completely pussified these days, everyone is always bitching about something and you know what, that type of mentality rubs off on people and they actually start whining and bitching about everything.

This stuff is all over tv, even cussing is ok on tv now. You regularly hear Gawd damn, b**** etc every day. Hell go back as far as Dukes of Hazzard. So Daisy duke would be renamed Daisy Yogapant?

This isn’t about the pussification of anything. I don’t have a problem with women wanting to be cheerleaders or even men watching them for their ‘sex appeal’ although I think that is happening less and less. In this day and age it’s pretty easy to find a picture/video of an attractive women with less clothing on than a cheerleader. I’m not from the Dukes of Hazard era although I know who she is. It’s about giving women, especially in a profession 90% dominated by them a voice in how they dress and how they are viewed in public. As far as wanting to have HS girls wear yoga pants that has more to do with their age and things like that.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:08 am

Can I infer from your comments you never take your daughter to the beach or swimming pool where string bikinis are commonplace?
When was the last "wardrobe malfunction" that happened to a cheerleader? It may have come close at some point, but it's not a regular event.
It's not that big of a deal, really and if girls (and boys) get into cheerleading as a competition they would understand it better, not to mention maybe finding an activity that could make them push themselves farther than they thought they could physically and mentally.
Having defended them, I have to say that I'm ambivalent about it in the end, but it's not something to worry about.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 am

Largent80 wrote:Hahaha, like people aren't exposed to scantily clad women almost everywhere.

The point isn't whether or not we, and our kids, are being exposed to any more or less semi nudity at football games than we are a Hooter's commercial. The point is that it's a football game, and there are parents like Oly that don't feel that they should have to be forced to explain to their preschool kids why the camera is focused on a cheerleader wiggling her breasts as if she's working the audience for greenbacks. It's a conversation you would not expect to have to have while watching a football game.

Are you familiar with the discrimination complaint being filed by the fired Saints cheerleader? One of the reasons she was fired was because she violated team rules by posting a picture of her posing in some lingere that wasn't anymore suggestive or revealing than the uniforms she wears in front of 70,000 people and a national TV audience. It's hypocrisy at it's finest, and one of the reasons why I'm saying enough is enough, put them in jogging suits and everybody, cheerleaders included, will be happy.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Largent80 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:06 pm

UMMMMM...No....If cheerleaders (females) are to be a part of teams as they have been leave it alone.

In all the years since they have had cheerleaders and I've seen every one of them, I have never seen any titty shaking or twerking that you suggest is happening. Just gorgeous women dancing, just like in almost every commercial on TV.
Largent80
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:08 pm

It's about attracting an audience and by continuation more revenue. If it was a net negative they would be gone.
Scantily clad women on the sidelines? Not exactly true, but so what.
For those puritans amongst us, you can avert your eyes at the appropriate moment or better still explain that it's what cheerleaders on sidelines of an NFL game wear.
Kids won't think twice about it if they think it's normal, but if it's hushed up, they want to know more.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:12 pm

NorthHawk wrote:It's about attracting an audience and by continuation more revenue. If it was a net negative they would be gone.

I didn't say that they were a 'net negative.' I said that they were basically neutral, that they didn't add any viewers or bring in any significant revenue.

Scantily clad women on the sidelines? Not exactly true, but so what.

It depends. I can remember a few years back the Raiders having some cheerleaders that were extremely well endowed, showing generous amounts of cleavage, and despite what L80 says, they were shaking them for all they were worth. Tampa Bay had a similar group. But I'm sure that there's a lot of variance both in the uniforms as well as the routines.

For those puritans amongst us, you can avert your eyes at the appropriate moment or better still explain that it's what cheerleaders on sidelines of an NFL game wear.

Believe me, I'm no Puritan, and if I had my personal druthers, you'd see naked mud wrestling for halftime entertainment. But unlike some, I recognize the fact that there are others, perhaps a small minority, that don't care to see it, don't like the fact that it's blatantly sexist, or don't like their kids being exposed to it. The fact that they're a minority doesn't mean we should just tell them to shut up and be happy.

Kids won't think twice about it if they think it's normal, but if it's hushed up, they want to know more.

True, at at least for some. But that's for the parents to decide.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:18 pm

I was watching TV yesterday between 4 and 5pm and there was a Victoria's Secret commercial and I thought about this thread.
Here were actual scantily clad women bouncing around in their underwear.
So I guess TV is out of bounds, too if that kind of thing offends you.
The point I'm trying to make is it's everywhere and pretty mild in NFL stadiums, so the choice is hide yourself away (no internet, either) or just accept that until or if things change there's not much you can do.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:50 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I was watching TV yesterday between 4 and 5pm and there was a Victoria's Secret commercial and I thought about this thread.
The point I'm trying to make is it's everywhere and pretty mild in NFL stadiums, so the choice is hide yourself away (no internet, either) or just accept that until or if things change there's not much you can do.

Once again, it does not offend 'me'. It offends some.

I understand that it's relatively mild sex when you look at the bigger picture. But we're not talking about the entire breadth of today's television broadcasts. I'm not sure what program or channel you were watching when you saw the Victoria's Secret commercial, but as a rule, they don't advertize on programs that young kids, grade school and younger, are likely to watch. I can guarantee you that you won't see Victoria's Secret on Nickelodeon.

Hasn't anybody besides me heard of the fired Saints cheerleader? I keep mentioning it but no one responds. IMO if the kinds of practices used by the Saints are typical of the rest of the league and the former cheerleader pursues the issue, it's going to change the way teams will deal with cheerleaders and could include the types of uniforms they wear.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 am

NorthHawk wrote:I was watching TV yesterday between 4 and 5pm and there was a Victoria's Secret commercial and I thought about this thread.

Wow, this thread blew up since I checked. But this comment seems to capture the criticism of my post.

I want to be clear: that doesn't offend me. Explaining that selling women's underwear and bras involves showing what those garments look like is easy. "Daddy, why is she in her underwear?" "Because the company wants you to see what it looks like." "Oh, okay."

But this is different: "Daddy, why are they showing the cheerleader's underwear under her skirt?" The real answer is one I don't want to say to an impressionable girl: because the adult men who like football also like seeing under women's skirts.

But, yeah, any commercial selling random products by showing scantily clad women is off limits. That's why we don't have cable. It doesn't offend me though. And it is everywhere. But that doesn't mean that anyone has to accept it. I choose to educate my girls in a way that makes it clear that it is better to be well-known because you have brought value to the world through your actions and character, and not because you are okay with letting cameras film up your skirt.

One last thing: I'm not discounting the rigor of cheerleading, or the fun that they bring to games, or the work they do in the community. I'm just saying that the way it comes across on TV is that these are all secondary to letting America see the space between your thighs.
Oly
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:23 am

I'm trying to think of an apt analogy...

What would you guys tell an impressionable youngster about, say, shirtless men in a ballet?

I guess we can take issue with an intentional 'upskirt' shot (which is on the camera guy, not the cheerleaders), but otherwise just tell the kid "those aren't panties" (they're not- in fact, they're usually part of the skirt) and "that's what they wear" and move on.

They're not in g-strings and pasties.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:06 am

Oly wrote:Wow, this thread blew up since I checked. But this comment seems to capture the criticism of my post.

I want to be clear: that doesn't offend me. Explaining that selling women's underwear and bras involves showing what those garments look like is easy. "Daddy, why is she in her underwear?" "Because the company wants you to see what it looks like." "Oh, okay."

But this is different: "Daddy, why are they showing the cheerleader's underwear under her skirt?" The real answer is one I don't want to say to an impressionable girl: because the adult men who like football also like seeing under women's skirts.

But, yeah, any commercial selling random products by showing scantily clad women is off limits. That's why we don't have cable. It doesn't offend me though. And it is everywhere. But that doesn't mean that anyone has to accept it. I choose to educate my girls in a way that makes it clear that it is better to be well-known because you have brought value to the world through your actions and character, and not because you are okay with letting cameras film up your skirt.

One last thing: I'm not discounting the rigor of cheerleading, or the fun that they bring to games, or the work they do in the community. I'm just saying that the way it comes across on TV is that these are all secondary to letting America see the space between your thighs.

I guess I'm the only one in this thread that understands where you're coming from.

Football, and sports in general, is programming that all ages are going to watch, more so than almost all other adult orientated telecasts. It therefore needs to be designed for the lowest age that is likely to be watching.

And burrton, you're going to have to get a little more creative in your analogies. Shirtless men are pretty easy to explain for any father that takes off their shirt on a hot day to mow the lawn.

By the way, why don't college cheerleaders wear the revealling outfits as the pros do? Maybe it's just me, but the impression I get is that it's only in the NFL where cheerleaders wear skin tight shorts and show the amount of cleavage that they do.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:12 am

And burrton, you're going to have to get a little more creative in your analogies. Shirtless men are pretty easy to explain for any father that takes off their shirt on a hot day to mow the lawn.

My wife wore halter tops and yoga pants at various points, too, so women in skirts, tight shorts, and low-cut blouses should be pretty easy to explain, too.

Look, I'm not saying they'd look appropriate at Sunday School, nor that it's not meant to titillate (no pun intended) to some degree- I'm just saying it's not some kind of lewd, overly sexualized display.

By the way, why don't college cheerleaders wear the revealling outfits as the pros do?

I'd guess two reasons:

1. They're considered children by most standards- maybe legally adults, but still under their parents' care, celebrate Mom's and Dad's Weekends, etc.

2. They're more traditional cheerleaders. NFL cheerleaders are more dance troupes than cheer squads, and if you've ever watched professional dancers, you'd know the Seagals' (et al) outfits are rather conservative as dance attire goes (watch So You Think You Can Dance).

[edit]

It's also worth pointing out that many college cheer squads *do* wear outfits that rival those of the NFL.
burrrton
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:41 pm

I haven't watched cheerleaders on TV in years. Do the NFL cameramen really get close up shots of the cheerleaders undies and shoot under their skirts? From what I recall, they are usually doing group dancing on the sideline or during the half-time show. I don't recall the cameramen obtaining upskirt shots or the like. They are usually shown as a group rather than focusing on an individual.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:59 pm

burrrton wrote:I'm just saying it's not some kind of lewd, overly sexualized display....

...in your opinion. In my opinion, some of the outfits/behavior push the edge of the envelope and can very easily be seen by a more conservative individual as doing just that.

It's also worth pointing out that many college cheer squads *do* wear outfits that rival those of the NFL.

With 124 college football teams in FBS alone, I would guess that there are a few that might, and although I don't question it, I'd like to know which ones those are. But I think you would agree that the vast majority of major colleges are extremely conservative in their cheerleading attire when compared to their NFL counterparts.

IMO part of the reason why you don't see college cheerleaders dressed like NFL cheerleaders is that most of the FBS schools are state institutions responsible to the tax paying, tuition paying parents of the students and many of the rest of the private schools, like Notre Dame and BYU, are accountable to a church.

And as Oly pointed out, it's not just the girls that are in question here. Part of the issue is the attention given to them by the television crew.
RiverDog
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum