Baker Mayfield

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Baker Mayfield

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 am

I'm hearing this morning that the Browns might take Baker Mayfield with the #1 overall pick.

I'd bet the farm against this rumor. The Browns are just a few years displaced from the Johnny Football debacle that they're going to make the top pick in the draft a guy that has drawn comparisons to Manziel? IMO if the Browns take a QB it will be Sam Darnold, whose stock seems to be rising. If they don't take a QB, they'll grab Barkley with their #1 overall then take the best remaining QB with the #4 pick.

I'm also hearing that there could be 5 QB's taken in the top 10 picks: Darnold, Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson. And this is supposed to be a down year for quarterbacks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Baker Mayfield

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:55 am

Every year there is a QB "Gold Rush" where players are taken much earlier than their productivity in College would suggest.
But it just takes one team to think he's the answer, so if they feel that way they might as well make sure they get their guy.
In the end, the draft is about selecting potential and many Front Offices see things differently than others or more casual viewers like us fans.

I think Mayfield is a huge boom or bust player, so unless they expect to get him at 4 and select someone else at 1, it doesn't seem like it's in their best interests.

Maybe they will select Barkley #1, Nelson at #4, then trade back up to 18 to get Jackson. It would work well for us if that came about but it would be a big gamble that he would still be there.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:04 am

RiverDog wrote:I'm hearing this morning that the Browns might take Baker Mayfield with the #1 overall pick.

I'd bet the farm against this rumor. The Browns are just a few years displaced from the Johnny Football debacle that they're going to make the top pick in the draft a guy that has drawn comparisons to Manziel? IMO if the Browns take a QB it will be Sam Darnold, whose stock seems to be rising. If they don't take a QB, they'll grab Barkley with their #1 overall then take the best remaining QB with the #4 pick.

I'm also hearing that there could be 5 QB's taken in the top 10 picks: Darnold, Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson. And this is supposed to be a down year for quarterbacks.

Yeah, I agree. I see smokescreen, but who knows. The more players they can link themselves to the better for them. At the same time all it takes is for a coach or GM to fall in love with a guy. Also, the Manziel comparison seems more relevant to fans than it might to the Browns. Although they have the same owner they have a different coach and GM.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:57 am

Smokescreen seems plausible if they want to move down a few spots.
If nobody knows who they want, there might be more urgency for a team to move up.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:20 pm

mykc14 wrote:...the Manziel comparison seems more relevant to fans than it might to the Browns. Although they have the same owner they have a different coach and GM.

True, but the Johnny Football ghost still haunts that team no matter who the coach and GM are. They'd have to be pretty damn confident to have the balls to make Mayfield #1 overall.

Mayfield is a little on the short side, and although that brings the inevitable comparison to Russell Wilson, Mayfield isn't as elusive and doesn't have the arm strength that Russell has. Plus he has that personality red flag.

I'm hearing that the only player likely to fall to us that would cause us not to trade down our #18 overall is Derwin James.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Cleveland will of course draft Baker Mayfield! Why? Because they are the Browns and they can't help themselves. I can't wait until this guy BUSTS because he has BUST written all over him. Uh, those that can't see the hand writing on the wall don't know nuttin about nuttin anyways.

Now, I have almost assured this guy will end up in Canton because whenever I go that far out on a limb it usually breaks...

OK, Cleveland, DRAFT THIS GUY!!! You cannot go WRONG!!!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:09 pm

WHAT DID I TELL YOU!!! The Browns just had to pick Baker Manziel the "new" Johnny Football!!!

You can't make this up, Cleveland is for LOSERS!!! How did these LOSERS ever invent Rock and Roll??? It must be a myth, Cleveland is for losers, there is no way they invent something as cool as R&R (coining the phrase).
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:WHAT DID I TELL YOU!!! The Browns just had to pick Baker Manziel the "new" Johnny Football!!!

You can't make this up, Cleveland is for LOSERS!!! How did these LOSERS ever invent Rock and Roll??? It must be a myth, Cleveland is for losers, there is no way they invent something as cool as R&R (coining the phrase).

Your wrong, no way this guy is Manziel, come on! He is RW with out the athleticism. He will be a good QB.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:55 am

obiken wrote:Your wrong, no way this guy is Manziel, come on! He is RW with out the athleticism. He will be a good QB.

I'm with S4E on this one, Obi. RW without the athleticism isn't a good thing. It's his athleticism that makes Russell who he is, and would be another David Carr without it. Mayfield is not going to have any WR weapons, no RB to hand off to like Russell had with Beast, is slower and less elusive than Russell, and with the Browns defense, he'll be playing from behind alot and will be forced to carry the team. That's why no one wants to go to the Browns. It's a graveyard. Mayfield has fewer tools and the worst top of his class QB taken in recent memory.

And what was worse, the Browns blew their #4 overall pick by passing on Bradley Chubb, who'll be an All Pro in his 2nd year playing for the Broncos defense.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:34 am

I'm with S4E on this one, Obi. RW without the athleticism isn't a good thing. It's his athleticism that makes Russell who he is, and would be another David Carr without it. Mayfield is not going to have any WR weapons, no RB to hand off to like Russell had with Beast, is slower and less elusive than Russell, and with the Browns defense, he'll be playing from behind alot and will be forced to carry the team. That's why no one wants to go to the Browns. It's a graveyard. Mayfield has fewer tools and the worst top of his class QB taken in recent memory.

And what was worse, the Browns blew their #4 overall pick by passing on Bradley Chubb, who'll be an All Pro in his 2nd year playing for the Broncos defense.

Ok, but I dont think he just implodes like Manziel. On Chubb I agree 100%. The steal was Rosen.
obiken
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:46 am

I think the steal of this draft was the Ravens trading back into the end of the first round to snag a top 10 QB and the single best athlete in the entire draft.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:57 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I think the steal of this draft was the Ravens trading back into the end of the first round to snag a top 10 QB and the single best athlete in the entire draft.

That was a good move. It sounds from some of the things I've heard and read that they might be willing to move on from Flacco with the new GM next year.
The other move is the Pack getting another 1st round pick for moving down only a few spots.
We'll see what they do with it next year, but talk about being in the right place at the right time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:00 pm

That was a good move. It sounds from some of the things I've heard and read that they might be willing to move on from Flacco with the new GM next year.
The other move is the Pack getting another 1st round pick for moving down only a few spots.
We'll see what they do with it next year, but talk about being in the right place at the right time.

I think he has bust written all over him. Speed but no arm.
obiken
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum