Why Bennett and Sherman Are No Longer Seahawks

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Why Bennett and Sherman Are No Longer Seahawks

Postby RiverDog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Pete Carroll made some surprising comments about two Pro Bowl veterans. Many of us had surmised that had worn out their welcome with Pete, and these comments pretty much confirms those suspicions:

"Sometimes, guys can’t hang with what’s expected, for one reason or another..........“And the best thing I can tell you is, that they’re not here.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ca ... tp&ffid=gz

But Pete did shoot down the rumor about Michael Bennett reading books during team meetings.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Why Bennett and Sherman Are No Longer Seahawks

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Next year I can start the thread "Why Pete Carroll and John Schneider are no longer Seahawks".

And the why? Because Pete is a douche bag and talk about biting the hands that were more responsible for his hoisting a Lombardi than any other two. Go ahead Petie, throw Sherm and MB under the bus, I am sure that will elicit better team chemistry (NOT!)
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Sherman and Bennett were gone anyway.. either by FA or Trade so getting rid of them after disrupting the team throughout last year (and probably longer) is not a surprise. More of a pity...

What is a surprise is Sherman's comments about it, since he was one often mentioned as one of the leaders of the team, in respect to appreciating Carroll's actions. We get it, you can only listen to the same rah-rah so many times before you turn it off.

All you had to do is look at how many 1, 2 ,3 year contracts we signed to understand that Pete not only wants a college atmosphere but also wants the players on a 3 and out rotation (except for the few stars of the team, which unfortunately has become the player's with the driving negative issues last year)
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:57 pm

All was self evident.
Some peeps get some success and end up too big for their britches.
Maybe Bennett and Sherm will become head coaches some day and show everyone how it's done.
Won't hold my breathe on that thought.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Dividers are not necessarily the best leaders.....
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby HawkDawg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Next year I can start the thread "Why Pete Carroll and John Schneider are no longer Seahawks".

Call 'em what you want, but they did build the greatest team in Seahawks history and one of the greatest NFL teams of all time. So he has that going for him. ;)
HawkDawg
Legacy

Postby trents » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 pm

I think Sherman and Bennett made their own beds. What we saw outside the locker room and on the sidelines is probably the tip of the iceberg with regard to what was going on in team meetings and in the locker room. I respect Carrol for finally telling it like it was. Maybe there is a spine in that body after all. Going forward there needs to be a little less toleration from the coaching staff with regard to trouble makers. Less "ra, ra" and more "heave ho."
trents
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:30 am

trents wrote:I think Sherman and Bennett made their own beds. What we saw outside the locker room and on the sidelines is probably the tip of the iceberg with regard to what was going on in team meetings and in the locker room. I respect Carrol for finally telling it like it was. Maybe there is a spine in that body after all. Going forward there needs to be a little less toleration from the coaching staff with regard to trouble makers. Less "ra, ra" and more "heave ho."

That's one of the downsides of Pete's more permissive management style. It works for 90% of the players, but there's always going to be that 10% that are going to take advantage of it to promote their own agenda. Sherman and Bennett initially bought in, but over the course of the last couple of years, it became apparent that they had changed.

You have to respect Pete in that he's acknowledged that his team had sunk into mediocrity, was no longer championship caliber, and that he had a handful of veterans that weren't all in, so he cleaned house, coaches included. Sometimes that's a difficult proposition to accept. Heck, half our fan base sill believed that we were just a player or two away from the SB.

I wouldn't call on Pete to change a thing about his style. He's proven that he can be successful with it, so I want him to coach the way he's used to. The average career is short so players will come and go anyway, so if you have a couple of players that won't buy in, get rid of them and find some that will.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:03 am

I don't see it as a downside really. Both guys were instrumental elements during the greatest couple three years this team has ever had, and had Pete not been able to make so many divergent personalities work on the same team we may never have had that run.

It may not be sustainable with the same members in place for too long, but that doesn't mean it's not repeatable. I'm anxious to see what this next iteration is going to look like.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 am

I'm more in line with what Bob is saying.
Sometimes the message just gets stale, but it doesn't mean there was this great tumult inside the team, but rather a lot of little things that added up and combined with salaries and age made the moves necessary.
Perhaps Sherman is right and Pete's philosophy needs a regular turn over of players to keep it fresh.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am

I have watched (and listened) to Pete tell LIE after LIE and treat both the press AND us fans as if we were complete IDIOTS. Well, only an IDIOT would take Pete's word that the "problem" was Richard Sherman (and MB) and NOT Darrel Bevell, Tom Cable, and the poor draft choices especially along the O-Line. Well Bob, RD and the rest, you will ALL be waiting a long time if you think that Pete is EVER going to Make the Seahawks Great Again!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:37 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:I have watched (and listened) to Pete tell LIE after LIE and treat both the press AND us fans as if we were complete IDIOTS. Well, only an IDIOT would take Pete's word that the "problem" was Richard Sherman (and MB) and NOT Darrel Bevell, Tom Cable, and the poor draft choices especially along the O-Line. Well Bob, RD and the rest, you will ALL be waiting a long time if you think that Pete is EVER going to Make the Seahawks Great Again!

Yah, we get it.
You don't like Pete Carroll.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:40 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:I have watched (and listened) to Pete tell LIE after LIE and treat both the press AND us fans as if we were complete IDIOTS. Well, only an IDIOT would take Pete's word that the "problem" was Richard Sherman (and MB) and NOT Darrel Bevell, Tom Cable, and the poor draft choices especially along the O-Line. Well Bob, RD and the rest, you will ALL be waiting a long time if you think that Pete is EVER going to Make the Seahawks Great Again!

Clearly he did not say that they were THE 'problem' (as in the only issue within the team). Actually he didn't call them a 'problem.' He said that they weren't meeting expectations "Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected." This could be due to injury, attitude, effort or any number of things. Furthermore he did admit that BEVELL and CABLE were issues because he FIRED them.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:42 pm

The statement of a fan that shows no appreciation for what a coach and GM have done. Always ungrateful and interested in "me, me, me" thinking without any sense of history or appreciation for greatness.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:24 pm

SH4EV, Sorry, The facts speak for themselves. His blaming RW for the pick, his antics on the sideline, and putting him out on the wires for a 1st rounder and no one wanted to put up a first rounder for him. We gave up a first rounder for Jimmy Graham and Deon Branch, and no one was willing to take a chance on Sherm, sorry that speaks volumes. Bennett, was not the edged pass rusher he was 4 years ago, not even close. The rotation system Philly has may help him. I wish him the best, but he has legal and personal issues he will have to address. Look at Griff, all we need is another 3 round corner to come in and get good and we are home. ET will be the one hard to replace. Get past it man, cowboy up, put your big fan pants on, and move on. No player plays for ever.
obiken
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:48 pm

So if Pete says that Bennett didn't read books and Bennett says he did who's the liar? Was Pete just kept in the dark? I could buy it if this was the offense but the defense, no way.
idhawkman
Legacy

Postby obiken » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:15 pm

idhawkman wrote:So if Pete says that Bennett didn't read books and Bennett says he did who's the liar? Was Pete just kept in the dark? I could buy it if this was the offense but the defense, no way.

Who cares? Its all small potatoes guy, its about who does the job! MB was missing games and not playing as well, period. You have to move on at some point. IF on 4-25-20, we are still having this convo about Pete, then Cbob, River, myself, HS, will all be in SH4E's camp, but he gets 2 more full years, he brought us a SB.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:25 am

mykc14 wrote:Clearly he did not say that they were THE 'problem' (as in the only issue within the team). Actually he didn't call them a 'problem.' He said that they weren't meeting expectations "Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected." This could be due to injury, attitude, effort or any number of things. Furthermore he did admit that BEVELL and CABLE were issues because he FIRED them.

You're interpreting those remarks according to the English language, and that's not how Pete talks, at least not publicly.

The statement that is the most damning of Bennett and Sherman is when Pete said "And the best thing I can tell you is, that they're not here." I don't think I've ever heard Pete talk that way about players or former players, not even Percy Harvin.

You have to acquire a Petespeak-to-English translator to convert that statement to its true meaning, in which case those remarks would go more like "The two of them were acting like A-holes, so I shagged their arses"
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:49 am

Again, the truth is likely between the two, but I tend to think his English language translation is more accurate to your "Riv's take on Pete-speak" translation.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:41 am

RiverDog wrote:
You're interpreting those remarks according to the English language, and that's not how Pete talks, at least not publicly.

The statement that is the most damning of Bennett and Sherman is when Pete said "And the best thing I can tell you is, that they're not here." I don't think I've ever heard Pete talk that way about players or former players, not even Percy Harvin.

[/i]

That’s funny because using my Pete-to-English translator I don’t read the ‘damning’ statement not as him saying he’s glad they are not here anymore but rather ”the best thing I can tell you” in petespeak is more like “the only real thing I can say about this/them” is that “they aren’t here anymore” (not necessarily that’s it’s a positive that they are gone, more neutral). But in the end trying to translate Pete Carroll is at best a shot in the dark, who knows what he really ever means...
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Clem7 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am

"And the BEST thing I can tell you" - (I won't go into the particulars).
"they aren't here anymore" - (the result of the particulars).
Yes, this is definately not the kumbaya Pete.
It has been a massive clean up of the problem childs and the coaches who were on cruise control.
Hoping not, but wondering if ET fits here as well.
Clem7
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 am

Theres another aspect to these changes that no one has mentioned. Salary cap. Saying that management wants to keep young players & overall keep the team young is a sound philosophy in my view. The way the wage scale favors the teams that are young, coupled with the fact that todays game is faster, harder, & careers don't last as long as they did back in the day, speaks to PC & JS management style. The trick is to be able to snag players with high potential in the middle to late rounds, (2010, & 2012). PC & JS have been hit & miss in this regard. I, like Bob, am curious to see what this team looks like moving forward.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:00 am

Pete did say he wanted more team speed, so younger players may have that extra step he wants to see on the team.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:51 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Again, the truth is likely between the two, but I tend to think his English language translation is more accurate to your "Riv's take on Pete-speak" translation.

Yea, I intentionally went a little overboard on the Petespeak translation. I did so to make a point.

I think that we can all agree that Pete very, very seldom says anything negative about current or former players, so for him to say in a press conference something like "the best thing I can say is that they're not here" begs the question what do you think the worst thing he could say would be?

With that in mind, I don't think my translation is that far off.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm

I don't give a flying damn. They're not here. Next man up. Let's see what they can do. As much I like having greats stay on the team, I like watching new guys step up just as much. New England doesn't cry when they get rid of great players. Neither should we.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby idhawkman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 pm

idhawkman wrote:So if Pete says that Bennett didn't read books and Bennett says he did who's the liar? Was Pete just kept in the dark? I could buy it if this was the offense but the defense, no way.
obiken wrote:
Who cares? Its all small potatoes guy, its about who does the job! MB was missing games and not playing as well, period. You have to move on at some point. IF on 4-25-20, we are still having this convo about Pete, then Cbob, River, myself, HS, will all be in SH4E's camp, but he gets 2 more full years, he brought us a SB.

You are so right. Thanks for the refocus. moving on from MB.
idhawkman
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum