Theoretically speaking

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Theoretically speaking

Postby Steady_Hawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Would we be better off if the Niners end up the 5th seed and face the Saints in their Dome where they are undefeated? They beat the Niners once at home already this year.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Re: Theoretically speaking

Postby daweez » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:02 am

I don't think it really matters who we play. Whoever it is will have to play on our field, I think we can beat anyone at home.
daweez
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:04 am

I'd really like to beat the 49ers, to be honest.
They beat us at their house, but that was hardly shocking, really, and the game was competitive.
The Seahawks will be very motivated for whoever comes to The Clink, but ending SF's season would be about as sweet as they come.
I also live down here in San Jose, about 15 min from their team HQ in Santa Clara, and hear on local radio how they're "hitting on all cylinders" right now.
I love the idea of them having false hopes coming back to Seattle, only to be crushed once again.
Regardless, we're too good a team at home, and we're also too focused and mentally tough to overlook anybody.
I'm also glad the Cards are good this year. Gives us some legit competition to get ready for the postseason.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:06 am

Steady_Hawk wrote:Would we be better off if the Niners end up the 5th seed and face the Saints in their Dome where they are undefeated? They beat the Niners once at home already this year.

First off, the Saints are by no means guaranteed the #2 seed. They are tied with the Panthers and have to play them this weekend in their house, and we all know how the Saints are a much different team on the road than they are at home. My guess is that the Panthers will win the NFC South and a first round bye and the Saints will end up with the 6th seed, in which case the Niners would open the playoffs going to one of 5 different teams, ie the Eagles, Cowboys, Bears, Lions, or Packers.

Secondly, I don't know which team, Saints or Niners, would be 'better for us.' If we can't beat any of those teams on our home field, then we don't deserve to go to the SB anyway, so it doesn't make much difference who we face. But I'm like Zorny, I'd love to put another licking on the Niners.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:27 am

I agree with that line of thinking. I think the 49ers are healthy now and their play over the past 4 weeks has been excellent. On Paper the Saints should be an easier game. However the buildup and potential victory over the 49ers in the playoffs will be much sweeter than the Saints.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:29 am

While I agree that the Niners may well have the best chance of beating us at home in the playoffs I don't care, I want a rubber match anyway! Might as well put the beat down that's comin' to whoever visits the Clink on the team it would do us the most good in the long term to embarrass now.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:02 am

c_hawkbob wrote:While I agree that the Niners may well have the best chance of beating us at home in the playoffs I don't care, I want a rubber match anyway! Might as well put the beat down that's comin' to whoever visits the Clink on the team it would do us the most good in the long term to embarrass now.

This. I think the Niners are the second best team in the NFL and that, combined with the fact that they know the Hawks better than any other team, means that they are the biggest threat to the Hawks. That said, the Hawks are still better, and beating the Niners would give this team more confidence going into the SB than beating any other team.

But first things first: taking care of some tough division opponents to secure that #1 seed.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55 am

IMO the Saints at home are the 2nd best team in the conference, but I don't think they're going to win their division, and if they don't, they will more than likely end up with the #6 seed, which means no home games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 pm

I think it's pretty clear the Saints would be the easier matchup, not just 'cause we just pounded them on national tv a few weeks ago, but because they are simply terrible on the road.

That said, their last game in St Louis was still somewhat surprising, because they weren't even competitive against a Rams squad that, while improving, still shouldn't be able whip a legit postseason team like New Orleans that badly. I know Stl has done this to others (Indy and whoever else), but I thought Brees and Payton might pull something off since it was a dome, which suits their style of play.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 am

So yes, please bring into the Clink the Forty Niners and their arrogant, "we got five rings" fans.

The rubber match against this team will be sweet as wine to observe.
It will be a beat down to remember.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:28 am

Steady_Hawk wrote:Would we be better off if the Niners end up the 5th seed and face the Saints in their Dome where they are undefeated? They beat the Niners once at home already this year.

Nah don't matter, after the loss at candleflick the Hawks are looking for some good old fashioned revenge. And if it is not the whiners coming it will be the saint or panthers coming up here looking for blood, pick your poison. You have to take every opponent as they come. And besides, if the saints can beat the whiners at home what in the world makes you think the Hawks would not be able to do that?
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 am

depaashaas wrote:

Nah don't matter, after the loss at candleflick the Hawks are looking for some good old fashioned revenge. And if it is not the whiners coming it will be the saint or panthers coming up here looking for blood, pick your poison. You have to take every opponent as they come. And besides, if the saints can beat the whiners at home what in the world makes you think the Hawks would not be able to do that?

This.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum