Sidney Rice cut

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Sidney Rice cut

Postby depaashaas » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:31 am

according to multiple sources Rice is gone. No surprise there
depaashaas
Legacy

Re: Sidney Rice cut

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 am

Obviously the salary was an issue, but I wonder if his rehab is progressing satisfactorily?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby depaashaas » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:41 am

Guess they changed it to "Rice to be released by Hawks"
depaashaas
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:51 am

Gee, I'm shocked.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:53 am

Which is basically what they have been saying the last 4 months.... LOL.... who knows maybe he accepts an enormous pay cut, everything I have heard is his rehab was going really well, Rice may be willing to take that cut, as he is coming off of major injuries, is aging and heading into FA he doesn't bring a lot of marketable benefits.... Wouldn't be surprised to see him sig a one or two year low end deal, whether it be in Seattle or another team..
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Irish Greg 2.0 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 am

Just to clarify - not officially cut yet. Just expected to be.
Irish Greg 2.0
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:03 am

Old but Slow wrote:Maybe let him shop around and then sign him to a smaller contract if he doesn't find takers?

Yup, kind of what I was eluding to. If he is willing to sign a one or two year 4 million ( or lower, 2 a year with injury incentives)the Hawks could do worse. I will not be upset to see him walk, but I do like the leadership, and spirit he brings to the team.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:48 pm

I expect Clem and Miller and also possibly Big Red to also be gone soon.
Unless they work out deals, they will be.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Cutting Rice was the easiest decision of all the ones that were being considered. Now come the tough decisions.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:45 pm

No surprise. Rice is the first head to roll. Next is Miller.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Zach Miller might be next. But then again I wouldn't be surprised if he restructured. I heard a sports talk radio show where they were talking about his numbers, & alluded to the fact that his receptions were way down compared to when he was with the Raiders. I was tempted to call in & point out the fact that his role was very different in Seattle than when he was in Oakland. His blocking skills are top notch, & he was utilized in that regard much more so than his role as a pass catcher. It's really an apples to oranges comparison. I really like Zach, & would love to see him in Seahawk blue in the future.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 pm

It would be nice to get Rice back at a bargain, if possible, but we've got the talent to do just fine without him. We did it for half the season and the playoffs. If he's doesn't fit the budget, he's a no-brainer to stay gone.

Miller is a guy I really want us to keep. He makes his hay blocking like a boss, and he has shown he can be an excellent pass catcher. I'd love to see a more cap-friendly, restructured deal with him. This offense won't be the same without him.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm not sure we continue to need Rice's leadership. When healthy he's pretty good, but just maybe we can get the same talent with a young WR who doesn't cost as much and has more upside.
That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him here next year if the numbers work.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:31 am

Rice - expected

Miller - would love to keep this guy, if possible. He could do so much more if he didn't have to babysit the OL on pass protection at times.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby briwas101 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:53 am

Zorn76 wrote:Rice - expected

Miller - would love to keep this guy, if possible. He could do so much more if he didn't have to babysit the OL on pass protection at times.

But that's the problem. He's been here how many years and the Hawks have not found a way to make him a consistent and significant part of our offense. It makes no sense to pay someone like a superstar but use them as something much less.

The hawks have needed to straighten this out for a while and maybe now is the year they do it. If the Hawks are going to continue to neglect the OL then we need to pay our TE for what he is: an extra blocker. If they want to make Miller earn his salary then they need to address the OL yesterday.

The hawks have been very imbalanced in that almost every high paid player is overpaid and almost every low paid player is underpaid. The underpaid guys don't remain underpaid for long and that is why they can't allow the overpaid guys to stay overpaid long.

Bryant deserves to go before miller though IMO.
briwas101
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:57 am

briwas101 wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:Rice - expected

But that's the problem. He's been here how many years and the Hawks have not found a way to make him a consistent and significant part of our offense. It makes no sense to pay someone like a superstar but use them as something much less.

The hawks have needed to straighten this out for a while and maybe now is the year they do it. If the Hawks are going to continue to neglect the OL then we need to pay our TE for what he is: an extra blocker. If they want to make Miller earn his salary then they need to address the OL yesterday.

The hawks have been very imbalanced in that almost every high paid player is overpaid and almost every low paid player is underpaid. The underpaid guys don't remain underpaid for long and that is why they can't allow the overpaid guys to stay overpaid long.

Bryant deserves to go before miller though IMO.

As was mentioned, the Hawk's failure to fully utilize Miller's pass catching ability was not his fault. The man did what he was asked, which was to be a very good blocking tight end. I do expect us to rework his deal, but of all the players on our roster that are being considered as cap causalities, Miller is the one with the least amount of responsibility for his failing to live up to expectations, so he has the best bargaining position of those being considered. I don't think he gets cut.

IMO Clemons will be the next player in line to be either cut or asked to take a seriously compromised deal. His production was down and he's 4 years older than Miller, 3 older than Red. He's scheduled to make $7.5M in 2014. Bryant's only scheduled to make $4.5M, Miller $4.8M, so common sense would dictate that the next place to look for some savings would be Clemons.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:08 am

Yep, not surprised that Rice has tweeted his Seahawk days are over. Rice tweeting this could mean that he was asked to take a pay cut and refused. Oh well, he missed a whole season's worth of games while he was here and was grossly over paid, I won't miss him.

Miller might be asked to take a pay cut but if I was him I wouldn't, like many have said his lack of production wasn't his fault. Asking Miller to take a pay cut after he was told to block instead of going out into a pass pattern would be an insult.

Clemons either takes a pay cut or is down the road. Again, like Rice, I just don't see Chris accepting less money.

Big Red just doesn't have the speed to get to either the QB or the ball carrier. Mebane is much better with a similar body size. What on earth have the Hawks been doing having a DT/NT as a DE anyhow???

With the money saved we can pay the FA's and the draft picks what we have to pay them. If they need more cash then they could take my advice and cut Bruce Irvin too because that would be no great loss.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:05 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:Yep, not surprised that Rice has tweeted his Seahawk days are over. Rice tweeting this could mean that he was asked to take a pay cut and refused. Oh well, he missed a whole season's worth of games while he was here and was grossly over paid, I won't miss him.

Miller might be asked to take a pay cut but if I was him I wouldn't, like many have said his lack of production wasn't his fault. Asking Miller to take a pay cut after he was told to block instead of going out into a pass pattern would be an insult.

Clemons either takes a pay cut or is down the road. Again, like Rice, I just don't see Chris accepting less money.

Big Red just doesn't have the speed to get to either the QB or the ball carrier. Mebane is much better with a similar body size. What on earth have the Hawks been doing having a DT/NT as a DE anyhow???

With the money saved we can pay the FA's and the draft picks what we have to pay them. If they need more cash then they could take my advice and cut Bruce Irvin too because that would be no great loss.

+1
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Red isn't asked to rush the passer. It's not what they primarily want him to do - and that's by design with Pete's Defense.
He sets the edge on run plays and comes out on obvious pass plays.

If we put Mebane on the edge, who would replace that productivity in the middle? I think Mebane was one of the best inside DL players in the NFL this year, and is one of the forgotten stars on our Defense.

Whatever they decide, I'm confident it will work out pretty well. Maybe not as good as this past year, but still pretty good.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:03 pm

The order of players who's contracts are paying them above their current market value is (was):

Sidney Rice
Chris Clemons
Red Bryant
Zach Miller

Makes sense that Sidney is the first Cap casualty. Sends a message to the rest of the players that if they are going to be unreasonable in a attempt to restructure to fair market value for their contract then Seahawk's will release them.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 am

savvyman wrote:The order of players who's contracts are paying them above their current market value is (was):

Sidney Rice
Chris Clemons
Red Bryant
Zach Miller

Makes sense that Sidney is the first Cap casualty. Sends a message to the rest of the players that if they are going to be unreasonable in a attempt to restructure to fair market value for their contract then Seahawk's will release them.

Those names are on my list too. My next cut is Miller though. Most others on here thinks it will be Clemons. Let's see.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:43 am

Maybe I'm a sucker for big Southern boys related to Jacob Green, but I think Big Red has juice in the tank and a unique size/skill-set combo. I hope we try to keep him - he's gotta be getting close to 30.... Couple more years, please.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:55 am

Hawk Sista wrote:Maybe I'm a sucker for big Southern boys related to Jacob Green, but I think Big Red has juice in the tank and a unique size/skill-set combo. I hope we try to keep him - he's gotta be getting close to 30.... Couple more years, please.

I'd like to see him retire a Seahawk, but alas I don't think that's gonna happen :(
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:58 am

c_hawkbob wrote:
Hawk Sista wrote:Maybe I'm a sucker for big Southern boys related to Jacob Green, but I think Big Red has juice in the tank and a unique size/skill-set combo. I hope we try to keep him - he's gotta be getting close to 30.... Couple more years, please.

I'd like to see him retire a Seahawk, but alas I don't think that's gonna happen :(

I agree Bob, of all the players on the team, his personality, and his back story and unique ties to Seahawks history make me want to see him retire a Seattle Seahawks player.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:17 pm

depaashaas wrote:according to multiple sources Rice is gone. No surprise there

There is now a report out there that the Hawks are exploring the option of bringing Rice back?

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Seahawks are interested in re-signing free agent Sidney Rice.

Rice could take Golden Tate's old spot on the perimeter of Seattle's offense. Rice was released by the Seahawks in a needed cap maneuver, but the club still believes he can help their passing game. When healthy, Rice remains an effective winner of jump-balls and can score touchdowns. He's also only 27.

I personally would like this move. WR is a bit of a need right now for a guy who has Rice's size, and he has great hands, knows the system, and you know it had to sting a bit for him to watch on the sidelines. He will be chomping at the bit.

Given his injury history, I could see a 1 year "prove it" deal, with lots of incentives. Rice would be smart to sign a 1 year deal, with whoever, in order to try and get a bigger long term deal the following year. As mentioned, he is only 27.

Hoping they can work something out, I have always liked Sidney Rice as a Hawk.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Wouldn't have a problem with it, should have an injury protection clause in it to protect the Seahawks. Something like half the salary should he not play a certain number of snaps.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:36 pm

I have respect for Rice. Injuries isn't something he can't control. It's a shame he has been plagued with it for the early part of his career. But he won me over in the road win against the Bears a couple years back. He layed it all on the line and knew he would take a serious hit. He is tough, but fragile. I think if we have him back we can focus on developing another player at receive vs finding the immediate need since Tate has left.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39 pm

Wasn't saying he could control them, just saying a 2 year deal for 4 million with 2 million in snaps incentive could work out for both the team and Rice. He stays healthy and is productive in two years he is 29 and still looking at a nice payday in free agency, he gets hurt and can't play, it protects the Hawks from a bigger cap hit... both sides win. Granted 2 million is below market value for a starting receiver, but odds are that is what he is looking at anyway with the way his career has gone to this point with another team, and at least here he doesn't have to learn a new system, become familiar with a new QB etc. It could work out well for Rice should he be able to kick the injury bug.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby monkey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:55 am

I'd be rather happy to see them sign Rice to the type of prove it deals we've been making a lot of lately.
Rice when healthy is a stud, anyone would be happy to have him on their team, in the film room, at practice etc...he's a good team guy he likes being here, and loves the fans, at the right price I definitely want him back!
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:00 am

Rice is only 27 years old, so he's not up against Father Time. I wouldn't mind at all offering him a contract heavily laden with incentives. His size and ability to catch almost anything he can touch is very appealing. He's definitely a good guy, and we don't have a lot of veteran experience in that position.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:51 am

Our overall Offense has taken a bit of a hit this year with Tate and Breno the starting RT gone.
It would be nice to have Rice back, but we HAVE to get the OL in order.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:54 am

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Seahawks are interested in re-signing free agent Sidney Rice.

Rice could take Golden Tate's old spot on the perimeter of Seattle's offense. Rice was released by the Seahawks in a needed cap maneuver, but the club still believes he can help their passing game. When healthy, Rice remains an effective winner of jump-balls and can score touchdowns. He's also only 27.

Gee, shocked again.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum