Annoying, but expect the Niners to pick up Revis

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Annoying, but expect the Niners to pick up Revis

Postby Stream Hawk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Once he's cut Wednesday. Thinking that would explain why they cut Rogers so abruptly today.
No link but it's all over twitter
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Re: Annoying, but expect the Niners to pick up Revis

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Rodgers has been being talked about for quite some time, certainly not an "abrupt" cut, surprises me how quickly Tampa seems to want to move on from Revis though.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Just 'cause the Buccs will release him, doesn't me he's gonna be any kind of great bargain for his next team.

And when you couple his recent injury history along with his age (29 in July), the guy is past his prime. Wouldn't bother me in the least if the 49ers got him, because he wouldn't be their missing link to the SB anyway, and they'd be buring cap space that they could use for other younger, more important talent that they could build on.

Revis didn't do squat in TB. I think it's buyer beware, and I believe the next team that signs him will get burned.

Badly.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 pm

Not possible. All things consider if they pay Kap 80% of what Kap feels he is worth, there is no way they can get Revis, who will want at least 10 mil. Unless Revis signs for 3 to 4 mil a year. Won't happen, look at Sam Shields money. He got almost 10 mil a year, and he is half the player Revis and Sherman are.

Revis has proven he is chases the money, he could care less about winning. He ran himself out of the Jets, signed 16 mil Contract that has no guarantee from the Bucs. Eventually Bucs will cut him because he is hogging down that salary, and they have a new coach in town. No one will trade for Revis, because no one wants that massive of a contract. However Revis won't sign with 49ers.

His landing spot will be the Broncos, or Raiders.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Not convinced even after making a few cuts that the Niners will have enough to sign Revis. He's going to be very expensive and the Niners simply don't have that kind of cap space right now. I'm just not convinced they can compete with team that have so much more cap space int he open market...guess we'll see though.
monkey
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 pm

Zorn76 wrote:Just 'cause the Buccs will release him, doesn't me he's gonna be any kind of great bargain for his next team.

And when you couple his recent injury history along with his age (29 in July), the guy is past his prime. Wouldn't bother me in the least if the 49ers got him, because he wouldn't be their missing link to the SB anyway, and they'd be buring cap space that they could use for other younger, more important talent that they could build on.

Revis didn't do squat in TB. I think it's buyer beware, and I believe the next team that signs him will get burned.

Badly.

29 is past his prime?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:03 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:Just 'cause the Buccs will release him, doesn't me he's gonna be any kind of great bargain for his next team.

Badly.

29 is past his prime?

Not so much his age as the mileage. He's entering his 8th yr, and I think at this point his best days are behind him, yes. He's also gonna want a long term contract wherever he lands next. Makes sense, because he just got one in Tampa and I'm sure he won't all a sudden settle for a one or two yr deal to "prove" himself all over again, nor should he.

But the hunch here remains: I no longer see him as being a premier CB in the NFL moving forward. He won't make 16 per on his new deal, but he ain't gonna be cheap, either. I doubt very much he lives up to whatever money he gets in FA. We'll see.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:05 pm

The book is still open on Revis imo. He was, when healthy, a spectacular player. Although he is still a smart and instinctive player his physical ability was clearly well below how he player pre-injury. The thing is it is not uncommon for some players to really need a full season of play to get back from an ACL injury. So the question remains, what version of Revis do we see this year. Clearly Lovie doesn't care to find out, but that is hardly surprising considering he is making elite QB money and will be playing in ostensibly a cover two scheme.

It's clear Revis won't be collecting any $16 million bucks this year. The question will be where does his market get set? One thing for sure, more than one team is going to be interested. I smell a one year deal $8-10 million.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby briwas101 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Badly.

What he said.
briwas101
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:37 pm

Just don't see Revis in SF. I feel confident they will be going after DB's, but not Revis IMO, expect to hear Browner's and Thurmonds names linked to them LOL, seems SF just can't let anyone leave Seattle without at least discussing it with them, and Browner and Thurmond are MUCH cheaper options than Revis or Verner...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 pm

If the 49er's wanted to screw with us, they would of signed Red Bryant at 1/2 what Revis wants and he's twice the impact, especially against our OLine.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:56 pm

i didnt see them signing Bryant(gone to a better place), but I do seem them going after Thurmond or Browner. Carlos Rogers is gone, and with Thurmond and Browner coming off of suspension years they can't command huge money, and are sort of in a 'need to prove it' year. So I can see them snagging one of those two and this would be a little bit of a stab in our back because both players have been in our system for a few years now.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 am

Thurmond maybe. That's a crapshoot that he jumps. I hope we resign him.

Browner... Never. A 3 time loser going to 49er Coach Righteous, not going to happen.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:32 am

Browner and Thurmond going to the Niners? I have seen stranger things... :ugeek:
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 am

jshawaii22 wrote:Thurmond maybe. That's a crapshoot that he jumps. I hope we resign him.

Browner... Never. A 3 time loser going to 49er Coach Righteous, not going to happen.

js

LOL. Harbaugh isn't "righteous" he will and does sign and stick with players that have done worse than Browner. Does the name Aldon Smith ring a bell? Harbaugh does not practice what he preaches, he like any coach wants to win, and isn't opposed to a player with baggage to get it done.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:11 am

According to PFT, the Browns are interested in Revis and might trade for him.
It makes sense with Pettine being the former DC with the Jets where he had his best years.
As well, teaming him with Joe Haden could give them 2 of the best CBs.
The article goes on to say trading for him would mean they would get him at $16 million and not more that they think he might get in FA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lle-revis/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 am

I'd love for the Niners to land Revis, not only would he further squeeze them against the cap but it would add another layer of interest in the rivalry! Could you imagine how pumped Sherm would be getting to show Revis up twice a year?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:52 am

PFT is now reporting that the Raiders might also be in the hunt for Revis.
They have a huge amount of Cap space, but I'm not sure Revis will want to go to Oakland considering the mess there and his history with the Browns HC.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:47 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd love for the Niners to land Revis, not only would he further squeeze them against the cap but it would add another layer of interest in the rivalry! Could you imagine how pumped Sherm would be getting to show Revis up twice a year?

Agree. I hope the 49ers sign Revis and meet his salary requirements. That would be much better for the Hawks then for 49ers to do something smart like addressing their Cornerback needs by going after Browner AND Thurmond and signing them at a lot lower price.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:58 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I'd love for the Niners to land Revis, not only would he further squeeze them against the cap but it would add another layer of interest in the rivalry! Could you imagine how pumped Sherm would be getting to show Revis up twice a year?

That would be pretty danged entertaining.
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:14 pm

monkey wrote:

That would be pretty danged entertaining.

Entertainment's what we're here for baby! :twisted:
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:15 pm

On the other side of the coin it's also entertaining to hear the 9er fans whine.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Looks like the Niners decided to go "cheap" to take care of their CB needs, resigned the ped, dui dude they signed last year from Tampa ( think its Wright) and Bethea from the Colts. Somewhere right now, Wilson is smiling......
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:25 am

Yea - SF never had the cap room to pull off something like Revis, though it woulda been great if they had been suckered to do so.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:06 am

The Broncos upgraded their defensive backfield by signing Talib. I am glad that Talib is in Denver and not SF. Though he would have cost Frisco a pretty penny, though I am sure that is why they cut Carlos Rodgers, to have the money to pay for a new CB. I am sure Frisco wanted Talib really bad. Now their fans have something more to whine about. Beicheat "conspired" with Elwood to keep Talib away from Frisco! Film at 11.
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 am

In fact I think it would be great for the Niners to blow their wad on Revis. Squeeze their cap space. I love it.
The dude is good but has not been himself since his ACL.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:41 pm

One year, $12 million, to the Pats. Not bad for Revis. He was smart working the Jets in to the deal.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Oh I was wrong. Still have Niner paranoia!
Looks like the afc is trying to (finally) build defenses to catch the nfc (or the hawks)
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Yeah, I also noticed that a majority of the better FA's seemed to have migrated to the AFC... why punish yourself every week. They also must like Florida, another "no STate Tax" state. I'm happy for Gus!

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:00 pm

SF to bring in Chris Cook from Minnesota, they must be convinced any and all corners will blossom with that front seven, beyond that, I honestly have no idea what they are thinking on their defensive backfield. Might make for a different style of game for Seattle when they next face them....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Surprised by the one yr only deal for Revis. Thought for sure he'd get at least a 2 or 3 yr commitment. Good deal for Pats. 12 mil is a decent chunk of change, but it's not a contract that will kill them if it doesn't work out. Guess the market wasn't much in demand for him to sign that.

His impact should be felt somewhat now, since he's going against a group of AFC QB's that pretty much suck, lol.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:08 am

Not a bad deal for Revis.
12 Million this year.
If they tag him next year it's a minimum of 14.5 Million and if he goes to FA he might get another 16 Million.
He's pretty much guaranteed 26.5 Million over 2 years unless he falls flat on his face in NE. But I doubt that will happen.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 am

Revis should have an impact with the Pats. If he can stay healthy.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 am

PFT is now saying Revis gets to be a FA next year or if the Pats pick up his contract, he gets 20 Million.
He'll be a FA next year, but how the contracts work is his salary is spread over 2 years for Cap purposes.

"One thing that helps the Patriots, as Albert Breer of NFL Network pointed out, is that the two-year structure of the contract allows the Patriots to prorate the $10 million signing bonus over the two years of the deal. In other words, Revis counts just $7 million against the Patriots’ salary cap this year. In 2014, he’s a great deal."
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:21 pm

1 of 2 Thurmond to visit SF.... we'll see if the Pats and Skins let Browner out of the building, if so, expect Harbaugh to invite him for a visit. Tate had interest from the Niners, as did, Bennett and Mcdonald..... I know it's a "business" but I wish Thurmond handled it like Tate in that regard. F em, let em watch all the talent from Seattle go elsewhere LOL. Wonder what Future thinks about our backup now? LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:05 am

HumanCockroach wrote:1 of 2 Thurmond to visit SF.... we'll see if the Pats and Skins let Browner out of the building, if so, expect Harbaugh to invite him for a visit. Tate had interest from the Niners, as did, Bennett and Mcdonald..... I know it's a "business" but I wish Thurmond handled it like Tate in that regard. F em, let em watch all the talent from Seattle go elsewhere LOL. Wonder what Future thinks about our backup now? LOL

Certainly would have been nice. The only thing I can think of is that Thurmond did not have the options that Tate had, money wise at least.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:20 am

Eaglehawk wrote:
HumanCockroach wrote:1 of 2 Thurmond to visit SF.... we'll see if the Pats and Skins let Browner out of the building, if so, expect Harbaugh to invite him for a visit. Tate had interest from the Niners, as did, Bennett and Mcdonald..... I know it's a "business" but I wish Thurmond handled it like Tate in that regard. F em, let em watch all the talent from Seattle go elsewhere LOL. Wonder what Future thinks about our backup now? LOL

Certainly would have been nice. The only thing I can think of is that Thurmond did not have the options that Tate had, money wise at least.

If he is looking for cash, SF isn't the place to visit. Their cap situation is pretty tight. Maybe Oakland would be a better landing spot? He may just be seeing what all is out there, and I really don't blame him. Just want SF to wallow in that tight cash situation for as long as possible..... LOL
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum