McCoy resigns with Seattle as well.

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

McCoy resigns with Seattle as well.

Postby monkey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 pm

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2014/03/10/tweet-link-report-mccoy-staying-in-seattle/
Sort of thought this would happen, it makes too much sense. This potentially gives us enough experience to cut Zack miller if needed, at worst gives us flexibility when it comes to the draft.
monkey
Legacy

Re: McCoy resigns with Seattle as well.

Postby Zorn76 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:06 pm

I like McCoy, but still hold out hope that the Seahawks can restructure and keep Miller as well. The guy, IMO, is Key up front to help out along the line. If we upgrade up front, then Zack could be better utilized doing what everybody would like more of - catching passes, lol.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby monkey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:49 pm

I'd like to see him catching more passes as well Zorn, but not at his current salary. He has to restructure at least. He's getting paid far too much right now, and that's not even factoring in his actual production, which puts him squarely in the GROSSLY overpaid category.
Personally I have always like Miller, loved him when he was in Oakland, still love the guy now, and I would be delighted if he were to restructure to a friendlier cap hit...but even if he doesn't, and we have to cut him, I'm fine with what we have now with Willson and McCoy, and whoever we might add in free agency/draft.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Gotta love the connection to Fresno! Go Hawks!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:42 am

Zorn76 wrote:I like McCoy, but still hold out hope that the Seahawks can restructure and keep Miller as well. The guy, IMO, is Key up front to help out along the line. If we upgrade up front, then Zack could be better utilized doing what everybody would like more of - catching passes, lol.

I'm not holding my breath about upgrading the OL. McQ and Breuno are both FA's, neither one of which is much to write home about, Carpenter is a half step away from being a complete bust, we're at the bottom of the totem pole in the draft selection and we'll still be paying for the Harvin trade by not having a 3rd round pick. We have a desire to tie up both Thomas and Sherman, which leaves little opportunity to bring in a decent OL through free agency. There's more uncertainty on the OL now than there was going into 2013. We'll be lucky if we can maintain the same underperforming group.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:05 am

RiverDog wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:I like McCoy, but still hold out hope that the Seahawks can restructure and keep Miller as well. The guy, IMO, is Key up front to help out along the line. If we upgrade up front, then Zack could be better utilized doing what everybody would like more of - catching passes, lol.

I'm not holding my breath about upgrading the OL. McQ and Breuno are both FA's, neither one of which is much to write home about, Carpenter is a half step away from being a complete bust, we're at the bottom of the totem pole in the draft selection and we'll still be paying for the Harvin trade by not having a 3rd round pick. We have a desire to tie up both Thomas and Sherman, which leaves little opportunity to bring in a decent OL through free agency. There's more uncertainty on the OL now than there was going into 2013. We'll be lucky if we can maintain the same underperforming group.

Actually, I think there might be more stability because Bowie and Bailey will be a year further along in development and ought to be able to assume the roles they've been being groomed for, so it might not be as bad as all that. This is the problem with having to re-sign a bunch of key players though, it would have been nice to pursue free agents on the offensive line rather than try to fill needs there in the draft. If you can avoid it, you NEVER want to try to fill needs through the draft, that should be used to get yourself the BPA.

It is far too early in the process to start worrying though. Free agency starts today, and we have no idea what John and Pete have in mind, but we DO know that, they have a plan. They're not just winging it like so many other teams, they have a plan that they have followed to get them to this point. Until that plan falls apart I'm not worried, I think they know exactly what they are doing. It is entirely possible they go out and get a free agent or two for depth that we wouldn't have even thought of, and who easily replace what we have been throwing out there, (which let's face it, wasn't all that great to begin with...compared to the rest of the team, the line was a mess!).
monkey
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:19 am

We still need help on our O line. Progress or no progress.

If there is a guy under the radar in FA that would work for our OL then JS and PC will find them.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:41 am

This year is said to be pretty deep at OL and WR, both positions we could afford to improve.
It's not really JS's way to sign FA's (although last year with Avril and Bennett it blows that observation up) - at least not in the first day.
Maybe some leftover Free Agent that could provide some value for a year or two on the OL might be available, but I hope and expect them to select someone up front by the end of round 2.

On a side note, I was reading Pat Kirwan's mock draft and he had the Vikings trading with us at 32 to get Derek Carr before the Texans.
It would seem a way to get a 3rd round pick out of this and more.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:22 pm

I didn't think McQuistan or Breno were re-signed. Yet.
I believe JeanPierre was, though.
Did I miss something?

In any event there are often 2nd round OL that make teams starting rosters. Even if they take a year, it will be worth it in the long run.
I want an OT, but I suspect the FO thinks G to replace Carpenter or another player.
There are a number of OL that could be real good available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (meaning available late 2nd).
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:49 pm

RiverDog wrote:

I get where you're coming from, but I still see the odds of improving being greater than sliding further back. Because as it exists now, we're just not that talented up front, nor have we been for a couple years now.

As monkey pointed out, we have a couple of seemingly legit prospects in Bowie and Bailey, for starters. IMO, we'd be hard pressed to do much worse than Breno and Carp. I appreciate what they've done in Seattle, and B in particular has the moxie you like to see from the position.

But at the end of the day, the each of those 2 players have hit their respective ceilings. I just don't see it being too tall an order to improve there. The unexpected concern and OL x-factor is Okung. Guy's been hurt too often, and while nobody expected him to be the the next WJ, he's been a bit of a disappointment overall. Even Unger took a wee step back in some ways, though still managed to land himself on the pro bowl team.

I dunno. Part of me would love to blow this thing up in a similar fashion to our overhaul of the secondary that became LOB. But, it's both dangerous and unrealistic to have 3 or so rookies starting up front. Gotta have some vet experience mixed in there, while hoping both RO and Max end up being anchors for the future.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Awesome, now if they sign Finley as is being reported, let Miller go, they can boast a stable of TE's with great athletic ability, but the "dropsies" ..... Uggh. ( though to be fair McCoy did show glimpses two seasons ago before injuring his achilles, maybe there is hope for him to become consistent, in Finleys case, I think that ship has sailed.)
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 am

What we lose w/ Miller is a great blocker. W/ the O-line troubles we have, I'm not so sure letting him walk in favor of the always injured/not quite the blocker is a good move. It'll be better cap-wise, likely. But that's it. I like Luke's speed and ceiling for receiving, I'm admittedly biased toward my Fresno McCoy, and appreciate Finnley's ability to stretch when he's healthy. Just not so sure that group & their experience/injury history/lack of pass-blocking is the answer to success @ TE, particularly given our biggest need is o-line.

Am I wrong on pass-blocking?? I'd love to be.

As a final point, if Miller is gone - I'd like to say thank you. He did a nice job playing an unsexy role. After big fantasy #s in Oak-town, he was asked ( desperately NEEDED) to block first, and that he did. Well done, chap. Glad you got a ring.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:50 am

I think I've always liked McCoy more than most people here so I'm hoping his recovery has gone well.

I get why people want to keep Miller but I'm not so hot on keeping Miller around at his current cap number he's no where near worth that salary. That's money that could be included upfront in an ETIII extension, hopefully creating more room for Sherman a year later.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am

kalibane wrote:I think I've always liked McCoy more than most people here so I'm hoping his recovery has gone well.

I get why people want to keep Miller but I'm not so hot on keeping Miller around at his current cap number he's no where near worth that salary. That's money that could be included upfront in an ETIII extension, hopefully creating more room for Sherman a year later.

Again I agree with you Kal.
I think McCoy is an all around very good TE, he's an excellent blocker, and has the ability to be a threat in the passing game as well. As the TE who will be on the line in two TE sets, he'll be primarily a blocker, but as anyone who has defended Miller's importance to this team knows, that's an important thing in this system, with this O-Line.
I truly believe that had McCoy not blown his Achilles last year, he was on track to have his best season, one that would have made him a very nice pay day in free agency...well, now that has been set back one season, but watch out for that "breakout" season to happen this year, especially if they end up cutting Miller which would mean more snaps for McCoy.
The player I often compare McCoy to in my mind is Marcedes Lewis, who is underrated IMO.
monkey
Legacy

Postby SalmonBB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:07 am

This was a good signing. I was bummed when McCoy was injured before the season started. Very good and capable TE, and has upside to become even better.

GO SEAHAWKS!!! WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!
SalmonBB
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum