SF trades for Blaine Gabbert

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

SF trades for Blaine Gabbert

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Why? I simply am not understanding this one. Costs pick, costs more money than he could have gained in free agency, and unless they are contemplating letting Kaeperstork go, he serves little to no purpose either. The Jags were going to dump him anyway, so just not seeing what thought process they were using. Plenty of "project" QB's available, cheaper, with more success and experience, what purpose would this serve?
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Re: SF trades for Blaine Gabbert

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Why?

For our amusement obviously!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:18 pm

Niners fans are losing their sh*t over this too. It's pretty awesome really. Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.
monkey
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Maybe - But Harbaugh is known as being excellent with quarterbacks especially in developing them. So maybe he sees something here in Gabbert?
savvyman
Legacy

Postby FolkCrusader » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:02 pm

Hairball wanted to draft Gabbert in 2011. Instead, Baalke drafted Aldon Smith. Maybe this is Baalke trying to remind him who the better talent evaluator is? Or on the flip side, Hairball trying to make lemonade out of what surely would have been lemons.

I haven't followed Gabbert much myself. As I understand it his problem was not lack of talent, but how shall we say - lack of testicular fortitude.
FolkCrusader
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:13 pm

I'm sure he does see something with Gabbert, there was a reason he was taken in the first round after all...it's just that giving up a 6th rounder, plus paying his guaranteed salary, which makes him the highest paid QB on that team, is NOT making the Niners look smart at all! Giving up a pick plus paying his salary, which is more that it ought to be when looking at his production, just isn't good.

Aside: I bet Kaepernick's head is exploding as we speak! He's gotta be going out of his mind feeling all disrespected and under appreciated. You know Kaepernick's ego is NOT handling this well!
monkey
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:29 pm

savvyman wrote:Maybe - But Harbaugh is known as being excellent with quarterbacks especially in developing them. So maybe he sees something here in Gabbert?

You mean like Colt McCoy? Everyone sees something in every player that has ever graced an NFL roster. My point wasn't whether there was something salvageable, my point was WHY spend more than they have to to get him? Draft pick and more money doesn't make any type of sense....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:40 pm

Strictly a backup move by SF.

I wish SF was dumb enough to believe that they could turn this guy into a franchise QB, lol.

Meanwhile, I don't think Kaepernick is worried too much about anything here. The 49ers, really, have no choice but to sign him to a considerable deal. Like us, they are built to try to win a Super Bowl NOW. The window is only open so long when you have the players - and coach - capable of pulling it off.

In short, if they somehow were to lose CK at this moment, they'd be done. Same thing if JH was no longer the coach. All Gabbert means is upgrading, I guess, their #2.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Zorn76 wrote:Strictly a backup move by SF.

I wish SF was dumb enough to believe that they could turn this guy into a franchise QB, lol.

Meanwhile, I don't think Kaepernick is worried too much about anything here. The 49ers, really, have no choice but to sign him to a considerable deal. Like us, they are built to try to win a Super Bowl NOW. The window is only open so long when you have the players - and coach - capable of pulling it off.

In short, if they somehow were to lose CK at this moment, they'd be done. Same thing if JH was no longer the coach. All Gabbert means is upgrading, I guess, their #2.

But why then pay for that with a pick and a first round price tag against the cap? Eh, whatever, I certainly don't have an issue with SF wasting resources, just found it really, REALLY odd is all.

Wonder where Future is so he can explain the lack of "starting" ability amongst Seattles reserves ( guys like Scoffield, Thurmond, Mcdonald etc) LOL.....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:22 am

HumanCockroach wrote:

But why then pay for that with a pick and a first round price tag against the cap? Eh, whatever, I certainly don't have an issue with SF wasting resources, just found it really, REALLY odd is all.

Wonder where Future is so he can explain the lack of "starting" ability amongst Seattles reserves ( guys like Scoffield, Thurmond, Mcdonald etc) LOL.....

Point taken on BG's contract, though at 4yrs/12 mil total, it wasn't exactly a mega deal anyway. And Jax has payed most of it anyhow, I'd imagine.

But, again, no matter how you slice it, he ain't the answer for our rival. CK remains their best option to win a ring with this current roster.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 am

OMG!!! Frisco traded for Jonathan Martin from Miami!!! YHet another "whiner" player LOL. Martin will walk off the team crying 'coach Hairball hurt my feelings wah! wah! wah!
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:37 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Why? I simply am not understanding this one. Costs pick, costs more money than he could have gained in free agency, and unless they are contemplating letting Kaeperstork go, he serves little to no purpose either. The Jags were going to dump him anyway, so just not seeing what thought process they were using. Plenty of "project" QB's available, cheaper, with more success and experience, what purpose would this serve?

The pick is a non issue. A 6th rounder is the equivalent of a shot in the dark, and acquiring a former #1 draft pick seems like as good a shot as any.

I don't think they're contemplating letting Kaepernick go. This is nothing more than a grab for an insurance policy that fits their offensive style than it is a threat to replace the starter. Gabbert ran the spread formation when he played at Missouri and had a very respectable 40 time of 4.59 at the combine. The Niners really liked him back then, might have even taken him ahead of Numbnuts had they been in a position to do so. Of all the young 'project' quarterbacks out there that can be had for a 6th rounder, he's undoubtedly the one with the largest upside. If you're in the market for a relatively young quarterback that can run the read option, who else are you going to bring in? Josh Freeman? Trading for a more likely to succeed project QB, say like a Jake Locker, would have cost them a lot more than a 6th rounder.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:OMG!!! Frisco traded for Jonathan Martin from Miami!!! YHet another "whiner" player LOL. Martin will walk off the team crying 'coach Hairball hurt my feelings wah! wah! wah!

Hairball was his college coach, it's actually a perfect fit.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:19 am

HumanCockroach wrote:

McDonald has already bounced around the league and been traded for a 7th rd pick, and wasn't Schowfield cut by the Cards. Your examples only prove what I was telling you; every team in the NFL has guys that have been recycled or will get PT somewhere else. No different than a Cards or Dolphin fan pointing to their ex-player getting PT in the Hawks. Is Thurmind a starter? I don't know. Seems more like a nickel guy that will see the majority of his snaps covering the slot. I never said the Hawks lacked depth - rather, I think you and I argued over the definition of depth.

Anyway I am glad Seattle is losing so many guys that did see meaningful PT. Same thing happened to us last yr; Alex Smith, Walker, Goldson, Ginn, Moss, etc. It's not easy to rebuild chemistry, and even losing a backup guy hurts because it effects scheme and a team's approach. So maybe we get to talk the junk this yr ;).

I had to stay off the blogs for a while. They started to burn me out . I will prob do more of it once the season approaches.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:33 am

Nice try Future, but you simply don't pay a guy 12 million as a fill in guy ( Mcdonald), or 8 million over two years (schofield) if you aren't expecting them to be important guys on the team. Would you like to discuss Tate and whether he is viewed as a number two receiver again? Whether he would get a big contract on the open market, or if he'll crack a 1,000 yards this year? How about that whole, opportunities equates to more yards discussion? Something tells me Tate is going to clearify that this season for you. LOL. Thurmond may indeed be just that, didn't keep SF from bringing him in, nor did it keep SF from contacting Mcdonald, and Tate.

6 Seahawks have moved, 4 are starters the second they signed, 1 is a key contributor, and one is depth, and a key special teams guy.

( FYI Mcdonald has been on two teams prior to Tampa. He was traded for from Cincy to Seattle.)
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:30 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Nice try Future, but you simply don't pay a guy 12 million as a fill in guy ( Mcdonald), or 8 million over two years (schofield) if you aren't expecting them to be important guys on the team. Would you like to discuss Tate and whether he is viewed as a number two receiver again? Whether he would get a big contract on the open market, or if he'll crack a 1,000 yards this year? How about that whole, opportunities equates to more yards discussion? Something tells me Tate is going to clearify that this season for you. LOL. Thurmond may indeed be just that, didn't keep SF from bringing him in, nor did it keep SF from contacting Mcdonald, and Tate.

6 Seahawks have moved, 4 are starters the second they signed, 1 is a key contributor, and one is depth, and a key special teams guy.

( FYI Mcdonald has been on two teams prior to Tampa. He was traded for from Cincy to Seattle.)

Ok, so he was the Bengals' 7th rd pick, cut, resigned. So the Bengals' fans can say they had a backup - no, a guy they actually cut - that signed a $12 mil deal. He has never been a starting D-lineman ar any point in his career and you have no idea if ge will start in Tampa, play great, or get demoted.

I think it is widely accepted that Tate is a number 3 guy. He may in fact put up some decent numbers in Detroit due to the system that spreads teams out, frees up playmakers for yds, but just like Reggie Bush he is not an every down starting WR capable of beating decent NFL corners in a consistent basis. Just like Reggie Bush is not a consistent, 1st, 2nd and 3rd down back capable of grinding out yds. Tate is a Ted Ginn type guy, whether you admit it or not (you won't). Besides, he was a starter in Seattle - not a backup.

The Saints traded for Parys Harrylson last yr and he started for them. You don't here me braggung about that or marcus Cooper, who we drafted in the 7th rd in 2013, cut, and ended up starting the entire yr for KC. My point is and was that both teams had depth. I don't go beating my chest and pretend these guys are some world beating allstars that just could not crack our amazing starting rotation. That's what you do.

By the way, the Colts signed our Ricky Jean Franciou to a big deal in 2013. Again, he started for them. So what. He is still an average D lineman.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:53 am

Futureite wrote:
HumanCockroach wrote:Nice try Future, but you simply don't pay a guy 12 million as a fill in guy ( Mcdonald), or 8 million over two years (schofield) if you aren't expecting them to be important guys on the team. Would you like to discuss Tate and whether he is viewed as a number two receiver again? Whether he would get a big contract on the open market, or if he'll crack a 1,000 yards this year? How about that whole, opportunities equates to more yards discussion? Something tells me Tate is going to clearify that this season for you. LOL. Thurmond may indeed be just that, didn't keep SF from bringing him in, nor did it keep SF from contacting Mcdonald, and Tate.

Ok, so he was the Bengals' 7th rd pick, cut, resigned. So the Bengals' fans can say they had a backup - no, a guy they actually cut - that signed a $12 mil deal. He has never been a starting D-lineman ar any point in his career and you have no idea if ge will start in Tampa, play great, or get demoted.

I think it is widely accepted that Tate is a number 3 guy. He may in fact put up some decent numbers in Detroit due to the system that spreads teams out, frees up playmakers for yds, but just like Reggie Bush he is not an every down starting WR capable of beating decent NFL corners in a consistent basis. Just like Reggie Bush is not a consistent, 1st, 2nd and 3rd down back capable of grinding out yds. Tate is a Ted Ginn type guy, whether you admit it or not (you won't). Besides, he was a starter in Seattle - not a backup.

The Saints traded for Parys Harrylson last yr and he started for them. You don't here me braggung about that or marcus Cooper, who we drafted in the 7th rd in 2013, cut, and ended up starting the entire yr for KC. My point is and was that both teams had depth. I don't go beating my chest and pretend these guys are some world beating allstars that just could not crack our amazing starting rotation. That's what you do.

By the way, the Colts signed our Ricky Jean Franciou to a big deal in 2013. Again, he started for them. So what. He is still an average D lineman.

And are you telling me those guys weren't excellent "depth"? Exactly. "Average" STARTING players, are STARTERS. Just because you can't grasp that concept, doesn't make it any less true. You do NOT pay 31 million dollars to a number three receiver big guy, and Tate was NOT the "starter" he was number 3 on that depth chart, behind Harvin and Rice. You have gone round and round with the he hasn't had 1,000 yards receiving garbage, now he will because he is in Detroit, which just backs up EVERY assessment I have saying for the last two seasons. Which is, he IS a starting caliber receiver, and he DOES produce, however, without passes NO receiver cracks 1,000 yards whether his name be Tate or Rice.

Hell your HOF receiver ( LOL) wouldn't have done so without being the ONLY decent receiver for 2/3s of the season in SF. Your basis has always been stat based, so if Tate produces that 1,000 Yards plus and 7 or so TD'S I expect you to come on here and say how amazing he is. Your rules, not mine, I'll take clutch over stupid inflated stats every time, you're the one hung up on stats, Tate has been the BEST in the entire NFL catching the football when thrown to ( 164 of 169) and third the NFL in YAC, you can continue to insist that equates to average or 3rd receiver, you're wrong, but at least have the balls to live by your own parameters.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Let's rewind. I said Hawks do have good depth. So do we. You said Hawks have more depth as evidence by the number of backups they had who'd start anywhere else. I said we lost Alex Smith, Marcus Cooper, Delaney Walker, Ted Ginn, Ricky Jean Franciou, Parys Harylson ALL OF WHOM were backups here and started on other teams. Just admit you were wrong and move on dude. Good god.

Your team just got gutted smart guy like ours did in 2012 so let's see if it's so damn easy to stay on top and if you can keep talking your junk. See the reason I took a break from this ? Lol.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby Futureite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Excuse me, gutted in *2013*, not 12.
Futureite
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Lol. Gutted.. LMFAO. Difference being what exactly? Oh yeah, the "only thing that matters" in your world. You want to pretend like you weren't saying those things, fine, go ahead and claim that, we here KNOW what you said.

Maybe a longer break is necessary, say until your team does something that "matters" according to the bouncing Future rules... LMFAO.

By the way, how did the Seahawks do with that big fat X on their backs? How about that 6-2 road record? There is literally a slew of misinformed, ignorant statements you have made that people could call you on. Right now you should realise that. Course you would just ignore it, or change the view point to suit your needs, as is the status quo with you....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Futureite wrote:Let's rewind. I said Hawks do have good depth. So do we. You said Hawks have more depth as evidence by the number of backups they had who'd start anywhere else. I said we lost Alex Smith, Marcus Cooper, Delaney Walker, Ted Ginn, Ricky Jean Franciou, Parys Harylson ALL OF WHOM were backups here and started on other teams. Just admit you were wrong and move on dude. Good god.

Your team just got gutted smart guy like ours did in 2012 so let's see if it's so damn easy to stay on top and if you can keep talking your junk. See the reason I took a break from this ? Lol.

Welcome back, Future! I may not always agree with you, but this forum is a lot more fun with you in here than when you're absent.

Our team got gutted? Not hardly. We lost Tate, who won't be missed all that much, especially if Percy Harvin can step to the plate. We lost our RT, who probably wasn't good enough to pay, my only lament is that we are so thin up front that we don't have a viable replacement. And we haven't resigned our kicker, at least not yet.

Outside of that, we really haven't lost anyone that wasn't either old and/or overpaid or simply just part of the rotation. Our core remains fully intact.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Our OL needs some fixing which I think will be done via the draft and our kicker needs to be re-signed. That is all I see for now. Gutted? Hardly.

Edit: I forgot to say how absolutely happy I am that the Niners made this move. Should really help cohesion on that team. :o
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 am

Yea, Future was doing OK until he came up with the "gutted" tag. I haven't heard any of the talking heads describe our off season in anything close to the way Future did. Hell, I'm the biggest belly acher on the board and I haven't described our off season anywhere near the way Future has.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:45 am

All I can say about Mr. F is that he has not done his homework.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:49 am

Gutted was a gross overstatement.
I think we will miss Tate more than many think unless Harvin lasts the year.
Bryant was getting less and less playing time anyway, but McDonald might be missed somewhat.
We already have Hill and Williams on Defense that might help. If Melton signs then we might even be better along the DL than last year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum