Goodbye and Thank You....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Goodbye and Thank You....

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Just thought I would start a thread to list the players leaving, acknowledge their contributions, and talk about the "damn" business side of the NFL....

Clinton Mcdonald signs a nice contract in Tampa today ( 3 yrs 12 million) a hefty raise for him. I felt like he did a damn fine job as a situational inside rusher ( 5.5 sacks in 12 games) as well as played the run very well. Not sure who the Hawks are going to replace him with, but I will miss the dudes play making abilities from the interior...

Golden Tate is in Detroit discussing a 6.5/ year contract, if the reports are accurate, and that's the money being floated, he is almost assuredly gone. Unfortunate, because that puts multiple holes in the Hawks ( returns and offense, as well as downfield blocking).

Thanks guys.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Re: Goodbye and Thank You....

Postby HumanCockroach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:41 pm

O'brien Schofield to the NYG. Should be able to get on the field at least.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Walter Thurmond in Jacksonville for a visit. Based on assumption, he is as good as gone as he may get a chance to start there. Funny but I thought he blew his chance when Browner went out by getting suspended himself, but that opened the door for Maxwell and the rest is history.

Still holding out hope for Golden, but if the report you heard is true with that kind of money being offered, I would say it is a longshot the Hawks want to match that kind of dough for him.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Seattle should look at Devin Hester as a replacement for the Golden one for the punt return duty. 6m a year is far too much for him. I don't see a very high 'ceiling' ---

Clinton is a bummer. The deal he got 12 m for 4 years seemed reasonable to match. Good DT's aren't that easy to come by. The Seahawks JV squad from last year better be ready to step up.

js
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:29 pm

I would hate to see Tate go, but we're going to have to face up to reality in that we're not going to be able to keep everybody. I'd much rather have lost Tate than I would have lost Bennett. All losing Tate means is that Percy Harvin has to contribute. If Harvin steps up in the regular season like he did in the SB, we won't miss Tate at all. The biggest void losing Tate would cause would be his punt return game, which saved our bacon in a couple of games this season, specifically the Tampa Bay game.

One of the guys I'd hate to see us lose would be Hauska. The guy has been money the past two years, and does a decent job on kickoffs.

There hasn't been much talk about Breno or McQ. Unless we have a plan to replace those two guys, I'd really miss them if they left simply because there isn't a lot of good options for replacing them. All of the decent OL flew off the board on the first day and we don't have that much draft capital to be able to pick up someone that can contribute immediately. I know our OL needs an upgrade and that Breno and McQ aren't nothing to brag about, but we could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire if we don't find viable replacements if we can't bring them back.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm

One of the guys I'd hate to see us lose would be Hauska. The guy has been money the past two years, and does a decent job on kickoffs.

Another player I've heard nothing about in this media filled world we live in is this man. I can only hope that JS has him on the radar & signs him before someone else does.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby monkey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:02 pm

RiverDog wrote:I would hate to see Tate go, but we're going to have to face up to reality in that we're not going to be able to keep everybody. I'd much rather have lost Tate than I would have lost Bennett.

Exactly how I feel as well.
The truth is, Tate is somewhat redundant in our offense, as a shortish/slot type of receiver with big time RAC and return abilities, he's basically Harvin with less speed. (And more health).
With us also having Doug Baldwin on the team, another shortish/slot type that gives us three guys who all do essentially the same thing, when what our offense NEEDS is a Big Mike Williams.
That's why they picked up Chris Matthews from the CFL, they are hoping he can be like Williams in the red zone.
Don't get me wrong, I like Tate, and Tate is a valuable player here, but let's be realistic about this...he's far more valuable to a team like Detroit who throws a lot, and has a legit #1 in Calvin Johnson to pair him with. In fact, I'll guarantee that in Detroit, opposite Megatron, he would absolutely BLOW UP statistically. Think about what an unreal tandem those two could be...man that would be SICK! Tate with Megatron would be probably the best one/two punch in the NFL at WR, and there are many very good ones. To Detroit, that would be worth a lot more money than we'd be willing to spend, considering the fact that we so rarely throw the ball by comparison.
Tate may not be easily replaceable...but he is replaceable. We could lose him without it hurting our offense much, (if at all, so long as Kearse continues to step up as he has, and if Matthews can be useful) the bigger loss would be in the punt return, special teams area.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:12 am

Good for Golden if he can get that much. But if you go to a team like the Lions, you can't have realistic hopes of ever winning another SB in your career.

Beyond that, we'll be fine if he's gone. LIke I mentioned elsewhere, this would only further force the issue that we need more talent at WR anyway.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby Seahawks4Ever » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:58 am

The Seahawks stuck by Tate when he under achieved his first couple of seasons here. But, he had his break out year when he needed it most and I am sure he is asking for more than Schneider is willing to pay. He didn't really produce in the Super Bowl but then he didn't have very many balls thrown his way. The passes that normally would have been targeted at Tate went to Kearse, lockette, and of course Harvin.

I love maple bars and I will always have a soft spot for GT and I hope he gets a nice fat pay day with Detroit and I will root for him except for when he is playing against the Hawks.

I would have thought J.S. would have nailed Steve H. down by now, you can't under estimate how much a quality PK adds to your team until you don't have one. he will be missed if he isn't resigned.

I will miss McDonald, what he got paid would have seemed reasonable if we had offered him that kind of money, maybe it had something to do with the amount that was guaranteed that J.S. balked at.

Now that Red, Scofield, and MAC arte gone I hope that means Toby McDaniel will be returning.

It also might mean that Clemons will be coming back...

MQ and Breno, I mean, who wouldn't want to upgrade over those two guys but I don't see how you let them go W/O even an offer. Maybe their agents are having delusions of grandure concerning their worth???
Seahawks4Ever
Legacy

Re:

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:51 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:The Seahawks stuck by Tate when he under achieved his first couple of seasons here. But, he had his break out year when he needed it most and I am sure he is asking for more than Schneider is willing to pay. He didn't really produce in the Super Bowl but then he didn't have very many balls thrown his way. The passes that normally would have been targeted at Tate went to Kearse, lockette, and of course Harvin.

I love maple bars and I will always have a soft spot for GT and I hope he gets a nice fat pay day with Detroit and I will root for him except for when he is playing against the Hawks.

I would have thought J.S. would have nailed Steve H. down by now, you can't under estimate how much a quality PK adds to your team until you don't have one. he will be missed if he isn't resigned.

I will miss McDonald, what he got paid would have seemed reasonable if we had offered him that kind of money, maybe it had something to do with the amount that was guaranteed that J.S. balked at.

Now that Red, Scofield, and MAC arte gone I hope that means Toby McDaniel will be returning.

It also might mean that Clemons will be coming back...

MQ and Breno, I mean, who wouldn't want to upgrade over those two guys but I don't see how you let them go W/O even an offer. Maybe their agents are having delusions of grandure concerning their worth???

Don't think so. Did you see how many OL's went flying off the board on just the first day of FA? It's apparent that it's going to be a seller's market for OL's this year, so it's a smart move when you're the agent for a couple of marginal OL's like Breno and McQ to wait and let teams like the Hawks start sweating it out when nearly all the top names that would represent upgrades get taken so early. The price tag on all OL's good enough to start just went up yesterday, which obviously includes our two guys as both were legitimate starters on the SB winning team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re:

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:02 am

Seahawks4Ever wrote:

No I think you are underestimating the importance of healthy, serviceable, offensive linemen.
McQuistan is versatile, can play all over the line, and that alone is worth money to the right team.
Breno is that "dirt bag" kind of lineman teams love to have just for the attitude alone, and in spite of the penalties (which were down a bit last year actually) he is a starting caliber RT. Those guys aren't just falling out of trees.

While we as fans would love to see an upgrade there, it's all about supply and demand, and as is usually the case, there is more demand for offensive linemen than there is supply.
monkey
Legacy

Re: Re:

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 am

monkey wrote:While we as fans would love to see an upgrade there, it's all about supply and demand, and as is usually the case, there is more demand for offensive linemen than there is supply.

Which is why we saw the Niners jump on Jonathan Martin. I was hoping that we would have made a run at him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:28 am

While we always want better players, Breno & Paul were two I wanted to keep. O-line last year was a mess, and we need them, at the very least, for depth... IMHO. I do like how we used Bailey/Bowie last year...which helps. Max & Russell cannot seem to play 16 a piece & carp is carp. Sweezy is just a guy, to 1/2way quote an article I can't source.

This, IMHO, is our most significant barrier to success. I think we need at least one of those two back.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 am

Chris Maragos signed with the Eagles. 3 Years 4 Million with 3 Million guaranteed according to ESPN.
Although not a starter here, he will be missed on Special Teams.

Can't blame a guy behind Kam and ET for trying to get a better chance to start as well as get any more money than they can get here.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:02 am

God luck, Maragos. I forgive you for the heart attack you gave me during the Tennesssee game. They got a work-horse in you & when not hurting the Hawks, I'll be rooting!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 am

Need Haushka back ++
burrrton
Legacy

Postby rottweiler » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks for the ring, guys.

God bless you and your families in your journeys out of Seattle.
rottweiler
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:55 am

Bye bye and thanks for everything Clem, hope the future's as good for you as your time here has been!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:51 am

New shirt on your avatar, huh Bob?
It looks good on you.
Come to think of it that shirt looks good period.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Bird Droppings » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:14 pm

McQuistain is versatile, but full of leaks, and I wish him well.

I believe they will match on a Giants deal or any other Brenno gets, and I think they told him that before he hit the open market.

Too many times he created a Marshawn smile, and a few Russell hugs.

they gotta have at least one big nasty, and, while Unger comes close, he isn't doin the bippity boppity boo like Giacom when a competitor stomps on some other Seahawk.

He's cut down on "stupid penalties", but, he'll take them for the team if he feels an object lesson is involved.

More than one "all pro" has gotten past him, but, he has also seriously slowed some down ... for the duration of the game.

So, I think he's going nowhere.

I preached against Hauschka over and over again for two years, waiting for him to blow a big game.

I'll shut up this year. He will be re-signed.

As will McDaniel.

Golden has grabbed a ring on our merry-go-round ... now he'll be on another ride somewhere else.

I do salute MikeRob for his valiant comeback, but don't think he'll be back. Thank you for your service as your media profile broadens.

zoom
Bird Droppings
Legacy

Postby yoder » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 pm

I'll miss Tate for sure. Makena and I were at the Packers game in 2012 with the infamous "catch". It was beyond memorable. Confusing (especially from the stands) but memorable. Ever since that play, it seemed like he shifted from a mediocre receiver to a solid receiver. Remember "the hit"? Can't recall what game, but it kind of reminded me of the classic Largent/Harden hit. Finally, the bye bye wave and his sincere apology to the team and his fans. Anyway, those are my Top 3 Tate moments.

Thanks for the memories and the best of luck Tate!
yoder
Site Admin

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:28 pm

yoder wrote:I'll miss Tate for sure. Makena and I were at the Packers game in 2012 with the infamous "catch". It was beyond memorable. Confusing (especially from the stands) but memorable. Ever since that play, it seemed like he shifted from a mediocre receiver to a solid receiver. Remember "the hit"? Can't recall what game, but it kind of reminded me of the classic Largent/Harden hit. Finally, the bye bye wave and his sincere apology to the team and his fans. Anyway, those are my Top 3 Tate moments.

Thanks for the memories and the best of luck Tate!

Cowboys. Sean Lee. I don't care WHAT the league says, fantastic play and moment, and HOW football is supposed to be played, never quit, never duck away from contact, and make sure the guy remembers you were there....
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:58 pm

After "The Catch", he now gets to play the Packers twice a year.
I wonder the fan reaction to him in a Loins jersey?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Thank you Mr. Tate, Clemmons, Schofield, Bryant, Maragos, Mcdonald, and more than likely Giacomini and McQ for all your hard work, dedication and passion you all played with in bringing the FIRST SB to Seattle.... Hope for continued success, health and $$$$$$ for you guys, you earned every penny.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:40 am

Zorn76 wrote:Good for Golden if he can get that much. But if you go to a team like the Lions, you can't have realistic hopes of ever winning another SB in your career.

Beyond that, we'll be fine if he's gone. LIke I mentioned elsewhere, this would only further force the issue that we need more talent at WR anyway.

Agreed with Z76.

+1
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby yoder » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Just found the hit on Lee. Ouch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QfYYUYsuA
yoder
Site Admin

Postby Hawk Sista » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:27 pm

THAT hit on Lee was one of my favorite plays of that season, for lots of reasons. Thank you GT! We are going to miss you.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Yea, I was really pissed at Tate for the bye bye wave in the first Rams game. Stupid, classless act that could have cost us the game. But I do think his apology was sincere, and that he learned from it. I don't know whether it was Pete or someone else that got into his ear hole, but who ever did, or whether he came upon the conclusion himself, he seemed to have changed. He took a lot of heavy hits in subsequent games but never dropped a pass. He was a major contributor to our first and only Lombardi, and for that, I'll forever be grateful.

It was a nice gesture for him to mention that the Niners were interested in him, but felt it would be a poke in the eye to us if he were to go there. That was one thing that disappointed me about Bret Favre, that he signed with a division rival.

So if I am in attendance when the day comes that he makes his return visit to the Clink, you might see #12 River Dog on his feet cheering when his name is announced.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum