- Clemons + Ware; I hope

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

- Clemons + Ware; I hope

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:40 pm

I hope Seattle can make this move. I think cutting Clemons and signing DeMarcus Ware would make a lot of sense. Give Ware a 2 year 15 mil Deal! We get a premier pass rusher who has 2 to 3 years left!
ESPN reports Seahawks may be looking to Peppers, Allen, or Ware. I go for Ware! Great locker room guy, and I think of the rest he can still be effective this late in his career!
4XPIPS
Legacy

Re: - Clemons + Ware; I hope

Postby Steady_Hawk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm in the same boat. I was actually hoping for Peppers, but Ware would be a welcome addition. I really do feel we will walk away with one of them when the dust settles.
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Of the 3 I would rather have Allen. He has been more consistent in his career than Peppers and has been productive in a 4-3, while most of Ware's damage has been in a 3-4 scheme as an OLB.
Last edited by mykc14 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Also, I wouldn't mind keeping Clemens either. He would have to take a pay cut and is a little older than Allen but he knows our system, has played well as our LEO, and looked much better as the year continued. Locking him up on another 2 year contract at closer to 6 mil a year would be a really good move IMO. Of course, he would have to be willing to take that pay cut.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby briwas101 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 pm

If the hawks are (wisely) going to wait to see who might be willing to come here on a "cheap" contract then we will have to wait for those players to hear offers from other teams first. If one of them doesn't get an offer they like then at least Seattle becomes the best place to go out of the sub-par offers.

I wouldnt mind adding any of them....at the right price.
briwas101
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Not sure who the best fit would be, but I'd be happy with either Ware, Allen, or Peppers. I guess with Ware and Allen being a couple yrs younger than Julius, that maybe they'd be the better way to go.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:54 am

If they sign any of these and they have an "average" season for them, we would benefit.
I think it's pretty well known the fan experience and winning attitude of this team will draw many players in their last few years.
This fits well with JS/PC philosophy of short term and lower dollar contracts in that many of these players have made millions - and will get millions more, but will also get a chance to legitimately play for a championship.
At some point for some of them it won't be about the money, but a last chance at a ring or at least experience a true playoff scenario.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 am

Frankly, I'd rather restructure CC than any of the other 3. Old, big-name over-priced free agents are not the way of the hawk, IMHO. The only way it would make sense to me is if if Peppers or Allen wanted to win more than make cheddar.

Ware has been very injured and cannot play/practice & moved from double-digit sacks to 6 last year... & he's over 30. I'd give loyalty points to cc and try to upgrade at OL (even by signing or own two serviceable, vets).
Last edited by Hawk Sista on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:20 am

Plus, it's looking like the Donkeys are try inning to upgrade on D. They've signed Ward, Talib, & looking to ink Ware. #asswhupinbyHawksstillstinging. HA!
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:45 am

Can't say I agree with that one Sis. Ware and Allen have both been better players. Both are a year younger than Clemons. Ware may have been banged up but it was the first time he ever missed any games. Combine that with the fact that instead of playing 80% of the snaps like he was in Dallas he'd be playing closer to 50-60% as part of the Seahawks rotation, I think he'd be a monster.

Similarly Allen has averaged more sacks per season over his career than Clemons' career high. And again a year younger. I'm taking either of those two over Clemons off an ACL given an equal salary.

Now Peppers I would prefer not signing.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby burrrton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 am

Old, big-name over-priced free agents are not the way of the hawk, IMHO.

This was the thought running through my head, too, Sis.

I'm not a clever enough "GM" type to make a strong argument against any of these guys, but signing older, former Pro-Bowlers to short-term contracts sounds more like Ruskell than Schneider to me.

#asswhupinbyHawksstillstinging.

#BurrrtonLikey
burrrton
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 am

kalibane wrote:Can't say I agree with that one Sis. Ware and Allen have both been better players. Both are a year younger than Clemons. Ware may have been banged up but it was the first time he ever missed any games. Combine that with the fact that instead of playing 80% of the snaps like he was in Dallas he'd be playing closer to 50-60% as part of the Seahawks rotation, I think he'd be a monster.

Similarly Allen has averaged more sacks per season over his career than Clemons' career high. And again a year younger. I'm taking either of those two over Clemons off an ACL given an equal salary.

Now Peppers I would prefer not signing.

Gotta agree with Kal on this one.
I'd take either Ware or Allen over Clem, despite the fact that I think with Clem healthy again, he'll bounce back and be a stud again.
At his best, Clem isn't as good as either Allen or Ware...he just isn't, and he's older too.
Allen was at one time, THE BEST pass rusher in the NFL for at least a couple of years running. Then Ware happened, and he was the best pass rusher int he NFL.
When talking about those two, we're talking about two unarguably, ELITE pass rushers. Clem is a very good pass rusher, and this is not a knock against what he's done, but he's just not on the same level as those two, and never ever has been.
I think that adding either of those two guys to what we already have with Bennett and Avril, would make our D-Line the best in the NFL, at least against the pass. With the LOB giving them more time to get to the passer, I would say it would be a VERY safe bet that the Seahawks would lead the league in sacks, and QB pressures.
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:57 am

Allen > Ware at this point.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Allen > Ware at this point.

Yeah I think so as well, at least for our system that would definitely be the case. Plus Allen is better against he run.
In a 3-4 I would have to go with Ware, but for us, I like Allen better, though it's pretty close.

EDIT: I know that Allen is meeting with the team, (as per reports), and now that Clem has been cut, I'm going to call this one, I think it's almost as good as done that he signs with us on a cap friendly deal.
It looks like Ware may end up in Denver, Allen knows this, I'm sure his agent is tracking it, and that means that if he wants to play for a winner as he has said he does, then I would say that makes us the front runners. We have the cap space, and the need now that Clem is gone, and he fits the system, and we're a winning team, defending champs...put it all together and I believe this is going to happen.

RE-EDIT: Now it seems that Allen is trying to play hardball with teams, saying that if he doesn't get what he considers his fair market value (whatever he thinks that is) that he'll just retire.
The problem he's running into is an obvious one, one his agent should have warned him about; if he wants to go play for a winner, and spend his last year(s) chasing a ring, which he has said, then he is dealing with teams that already HAVE fairly complete rosters, and didn't get to be good by being stupid with money.
Winning teams got to be winning teams by knowing the market, and by spending within their budget.
If he wants to break the bank, then he needs to go play for a loser likethe Raiders or Browns, or Cowboys...wait Cowboys are losers AND broke. Scratch that.
You get the point though.
If he is serious about retiring, (which I doubt personally, I think this is just an ill advised ploy), then I guess I'll be wrong with my prediction about him signing here.
I still think this will happen though...but I'm not quite as certain now, because anytime a player is talking about retirement, even if it's just an idle threat for leverage, teams have to know that somewhere in this players mind is a desire to quit playing and relax and enjoy his money. That is not what the Seahawks are looking for at all. The Seahawks want players with something to prove, some chip on their shoulder, some fire in their belly, (insert cheesy cliche here).
Personally I've seen far too many Vikings games to think that Allen would ever take it easy on the football field...it's just not in his nature, the guy is wired to compete all out, all the time. That's why I think this is a bluff, but still anytime a player mentions retirement, that means it's something he is at least thinking about, at least considering as an option on some level.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:51 pm

"Similarly Allen has averaged more sacks per season over his career than Clemons' career high. And again a year younger. I'm taking either of those two over Clemons off an ACL given an equal salary."

NO disagreement from me on that at ALL, Kal. I guess what I am saying is that I'd rather restructure CC (for a MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH lower wage) than to overpay an old guy 13+ million a year. There is no question (loyalty aside) that all three of the savvy old vets (Peppers, Allen, and Ware) are > than cc at this point and always have been. My argument is not that CC is better, but that he could/should be waaaay cheaper after he wisely and generously restructures and it is not my desire to overpay any one of those long-in-the-toothers.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Hawk Sista wrote:"Similarly Allen has averaged more sacks per season over his career than Clemons' career high. And again a year younger. I'm taking either of those two over Clemons off an ACL given an equal salary."

NO disagreement from me on that at ALL, Kal. I guess what I am saying is that I'd rather restructure CC (for a MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH lower wage) than to overpay an old guy 13+ million a year. There is no question (loyalty aside) that all three of the savvy old vets (Peppers, Allen, and Ware) are > than cc at this point and always have been. My argument is not that CC is better, but that he could/should be waaaay cheaper after he wisely and generously restructures and it is not my desire to overpay any one of those long-in-the-toothers.

Unfortunately, while you may be exactly right about that Sista, (and you probably are), the Jags are going to snatch Clem up so fast it'll create a breeze felt in New York.
Unless I miss my guess, Clemons will still get paid, and he'll get paid while playing for a coach he knows and likes. He's just too good for the Jags to pass up, unfortunately for us.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Yeah. Ware is in Denver, CC and Gus will be reunited, Allen says he'd retire before he takes a contract that doesn't pay him, and Peppers is, literally & figuratively long in the tooth. :D unless Julius becomes a Hawk, then he's always been a fave & I have long advocated for his acquisition. :lol:
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:40 pm

Just read that Allen was offered the same contract that Ware signed from Denver and was willing to sign it but the Broncos stalled when Ware came available. Now he seems to be a little ticked that he just missed out on a 10mil/year deal with 20 mil guaranteed. Maybe he feels like this is what he deserves and should be able to get. The problem, IMO, is that the Broncos overpaid for Ware and it would have been too much for Allen as well. I don't think anybody, at this point, will pay him anywhere near that. I really doubt he ends up retiring this year like he claims. In fact I think the Hawks end up signing him for around 8 mil a year on a 3 year deal with around 16 mil guaranteed.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby Steady_Hawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:58 pm

No doubt. Plus he'll actually end up with a ring here. :)
Steady_Hawk
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:50 am

Steady_Hawk wrote:No doubt. Plus he'll actually end up with a ring here. :)

That's the bet.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 am

It will be interesting what Allen thinks is a "fair market" deal, as the one Ware signed, isn't it, and I feel for Allen ( as it was the same deal Denver offered him, though he was put on "hold"), just don't see many teams offering that same kind of cheddar for an aging ( albeit still productive) pass rusher. In Seattle he isn't even a starter necessarily, so I just don't see Seattle ponying up that kind of cheddar. If they wanted to do that, it would have been cheaper to keep Clemmons ( another DE that was aging, and also had 11 or more sacks for three years prior to last season, on par with Allen) had familiarity with the scheme, coaches, players and team.

Just don't see more than 6 a year being even considered strongly for Jared on this team.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:15 pm

"Just don't see more than 6 a year being even considered strongly for Jared on this team."

I don't know what the figure is our FO has in mind, but I do know they will stick to it.
I suspect they are trying to wait out Allen and have already made some type of offer.
It's unfortunate for Allen, but I don't know how he could scoff at 6 million. He's in a different world than me.
Maybe they could make a multi year offer at 6M per or have an option for an out for him to test FA again.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm ok with Bennett and Avril running the ends, with possibly Scruggs, or Mayowa making an impact this year as the third rotational pass rusher.... I do expect them to find that "guy" they always seems to uncover at the end of free agency for a one or two year reasonable deal to bring in, it's something they have been damn good at. Some veteran or developing pass rusher is going to be released or available at the end of it all, they always are.

I applaud the way this front office works, they aren't going to overpay, but they are fair, and willing to do one of the things that it always seems teams of second rate teams can't do, which is to say " thanks for letting us talk to you, but this is a fair offer and it seems we will have to pass" some teams sign players just to make noise, and lose sight of what they are supposed to be doing, which building the best team possible...
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum