Russell Wilson

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Russell Wilson

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:11 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:[
Likely true. I'd still take Russ over Geno.

I don't hate Geno, but I also got no love for him either. He's just some guy to me that ain't never gonna take us to a Super Bowl. Nothing to look forward to with Geno at QB. Just boring, careful football leading to misleading stats and a false sense of competition.

I'd rather watch Russ run around then Geno making sure he don't throw an int.

I have love for Russ as well. However, I have accepted it's time to move on. I would imagine that JS is going to address the QBOTF in this upcoming draft, it would be shocking if he didn't. Bringing Russ in would be a massive distraction to the QB room. Geno isn't my favorite and yes just talent wise I would rather have Russ over him, but we aren't going to win a Super Bowl this year and probably not have a winning record either. So it's time to build and develop. Also, we did guarantee Geno's salary and a pretty low cost IMO for a veteran QB. Geno will be a good bridge QB until our rookie is ready to step in. Given Geno has been a starter, then back up, then starter he maybe a better mentor for a young QB then Russ would be given he has experienced the highs and lows. I am fine starting the year with Geno at QB and give the proper time for our rookie QB to sit and watch, or who knows maybe he out plays Geno and earns the starting spot.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:01 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Get Schneider fired? That was pure rumor. Never heard of any confirmation of trying to get Schneider fired.

Where do you guys get this from? Just make it up in your head or just believe every rumor?

At the time of the trade people were claiming Russ tried to get Pete fired, yet Russ had nothing but kind words for Pete and hung out with him when he stepped down. That was all the rage: Russ tried to get Pete fired. You think Pete and Russ hang out together if that happened?

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-reunites-pete-carroll-fired-denver-broncos

Now he tried to get Schneider fired? The Pete rumor was proven wrong, but now its Schneider? How ridiculous.

I guess when Russ and Schneider are hanging out, you'll start what rumor next?

I heard tons of rubbish about the team hating him, but it's obvious some guys liked him, some didn't like you would expect on any team.

Russ just wanted to do something else. So Pete and John obliged him to our benefit. Doesn't seem to me either side hates the other.

Yeah bro, I totally made it up in my head.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/24/russell-wilson-wanted-pete-carroll-john-schneider-fired-seahawks-broncos-trade

I know you well enough on this board that I won't ever change your opinion. But you believe what you want, and I will believe what I want. And I 100% believe Russ was delusional enough (after hearing and reading all about him post trade) to believe he was bigger than Pete and John. And that the reports were true. No doubt in my mind, especially since he was traded 1 month after it allegedly happened and Jody sided with Pete and John.

Of course everyone is gonna play nice, they won a Super Bowl together. Pete neither confirmed or denied it, which says alot. Most would confirm if it wasn't true.

Don't spout off about me starting a rumour that was well documented and had legs. How ridiculous.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:28 pm

Geno threw for 550 more yards on 26 more attempts and 1 more interception than Russel Wilson. Wilson had 6 more TDs. This was in the same number of games. Neither outperformed the other, but I wouldn’t bring Wilson back. Bringing in the former and aging QB to compete with your own aging QB isn’t a positive move in my book. And Russel’s old habits continue to die hard and his ability to run around is diminishing every year.

And Geno won’t be the bridge QB; he already is and always has been since he was extended. Another reason to not have Wilson. The person on deck to compete with Geno should be the guy intended to replace him long term.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:33 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Get Schneider fired? That was pure rumor. Never heard of any confirmation of trying to get Schneider fired.

Where do you guys get this from? Just make it up in your head or just believe every rumor?

At the time of the trade people were claiming Russ tried to get Pete fired, yet Russ had nothing but kind words for Pete and hung out with him when he stepped down. That was all the rage: Russ tried to get Pete fired. You think Pete and Russ hang out together if that happened?

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-reunites-pete-carroll-fired-denver-broncos

Now he tried to get Schneider fired? The Pete rumor was proven wrong, but now its Schneider? How ridiculous.

I guess when Russ and Schneider are hanging out, you'll start what rumor next?

I heard tons of rubbish about the team hating him, but it's obvious some guys liked him, some didn't like you would expect on any team.

Russ just wanted to do something else. So Pete and John obliged him to our benefit. Doesn't seem to me either side hates the other.

Agent 86 wrote:Yeah bro, I totally made it up in my head.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/24/russell-wilson-wanted-pete-carroll-john-schneider-fired-seahawks-broncos-trade

I know you well enough on this board that I won't ever change your opinion. But you believe what you want, and I will believe what I want. And I 100% believe Russ was delusional enough (after hearing and reading all about him post trade) to believe he was bigger than Pete and John. And that the reports were true. No doubt in my mind, especially since he was traded 1 month after it allegedly happened and Jody sided with Pete and John.

Of course everyone is gonna play nice, they won a Super Bowl together. Pete neither confirmed or denied it, which says alot. Most would confirm if it wasn't true.

Don't spout off about me starting a rumour that was well documented and had legs. How ridiculous.

If you take the time to read the article that 86 posted, the Seahawks declined to comment about the 'rumor'. If it were untrue, they would have come out and denied it, but they didn't. That's as close to a confirmation that you're going to get.

And yes, we all know about the unicorns and rainbows Russell and Pete gave the press at the going away party following Pete's dismissal. It's nothing but window dressing. Do you remember the first time Russell and Pete met following the trade prior to the season opener in 2022? Pete gave Russell a colder shoulder than a Jeffery Dahmer leftover.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:11 am

More like "well speculated" than well documented. Sold a lot of copy either way.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:55 am

According to PFT, Wilson will walk away from Denver with $124M in his pocket after 2 years. Incredible player friendly contract negotiated by his agent.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:05 am

c_hawkbob wrote:More like "well speculated" than well documented. Sold a lot of copy either way.

It isn't speculation that Carroll, JS, or the Seahawks never denied the rumors. If there wasn't at least some truth to them, why wouldn't they deny them?

It's pretty obvious to me that something happened, otherwise Pete wouldn't have acted so put off. When asked about the rumors, all he said about them is that he was "good" with their relationship. A guy who is as full of malarky as Pete is and the best description of his 10-year relationship with one of the best players he ever coached was that he was "good" with him?
Last edited by RiverDog on Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:30 am

c_hawkbob wrote:More like "well speculated" than well documented. Sold a lot of copy either way.

Yep, 100%. Maybe it's a bogus rumour and I fell for it. I will admit that. So "speculated" was perhaps the better word to use regarding that rumour about Russ going to ownership about PC and JS. I just meant the story was all over the place and was well "documented" by several sites who picked up on The Athletic article that had the "anonymous source".

And for the record, not directed at you C_bob, but more just in general, I was the biggest Russ jock sniffer there was prior to the trade. Even after the Rams Wildcard debacle in January 2021, I was on the side of the fence that wanted Russ to stay and Pete to go. The man could do no wrong in my books. By the end and when the trade happened, I was a bit sad but totally understood it was the right move for the future of the team. It was after the trade, when all these stories came out Russ that made me kind of feel like I was wearing the rose coloured glasses when looking at him all these years. My tune changed a bit, but still will be forever thankful to him for helping bring a Lombardi to Seattle.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:47 am

I don't think it's a secret that JS and Wilson's agent Mark? Rogers didn't like each other and had at least one shouting match during previous negotiations.
That will poison the well pretty quickly and leak down to the player and his attitude if not handled subtly by both partners.

I think from the long term perspective Pete's Offense didn't allow Wilson to fully develop as a QB. He had enough talent coming out but never really ran a modern pro Offense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:50 am

NorthHawk wrote:I don't think it's a secret that JS and Wilson's agent Mark? Rogers didn't like each other and had at least one shouting match during previous negotiations.
That will poison the well pretty quickly and leak down to the player and his attitude if not handled subtly by both partners.

I think from the long term perspective Pete's Offense didn't allow Wilson to fully develop as a QB. He had enough talent coming out but never really ran a modern pro Offense.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing about the relationship between JS and Mark Rogers.

I agree with your second paragraph, at least to a point. Russell's now had a chance to work within two other offenses and didn't excel in either. We'll see how he fares at his next stop, but if what you say is true, then he should be able to succeed somewhere.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:04 am

It isn't speculation that Carroll, JS, or the Seahawks never denied the rumors

There is no confirmation either. We've done this to death, no need to expound further.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:11 pm

It isn't speculation that Carroll, JS, or the Seahawks never denied the rumors

c_hawkbob wrote:There is no confirmation either. We've done this to death, no need to expound further.

Agreed. I'll drop it if everyone else does.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:27 am

Yeah, I dropped a few. That's why I played DB. Poorly.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:55 am

Old but Slow wrote:Yeah, I dropped a few. That's why I played DB. Poorly.

Well, if you say a "few", you are confirming you caught some.... Which means you did the opposite of Poorly, and I pretty sure it was all good, Cheers to that!
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:41 pm

Sounds like the Steelers might be interested in signing Russell:

Report: Pittsburgh Steelers to Meet With Russell Wilson

https://www.givemesport.com/steelers-me ... ll-wilson/

It was just a few days ago that the word was that the Steelers weren't quite ready to move on from Kenny Pickett. Is Pickett now on the trading block? He's going into his 3rd year, so there's not a lot of sense in having him sit a season as they would with a rookie.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:18 pm

IF he signs with Pittsburgh he would probably be a bridge to let Pickett develop slower - unless they go after another QB in the draft, then that QB would sit on gameday.
Wilson isn’t in the long term plans for any team at this point but this year he should come cheap.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:02 pm

NorthHawk wrote:IF he signs with Pittsburgh he would probably be a bridge to let Pickett develop slower - unless they go after another QB in the draft, then that QB would sit on gameday.
Wilson isn’t in the long term plans for any team at this point but this year he should come cheap.

Pickett's entering his 3rd year and has started 24 games, so it would seem unlikely that their plan would be to sit him for his 3rd season. My guess is that if they do sign Russell, it means that they've decided to move on from Pickett and will draft a QBOTF this spring if the right one falls to them and let him sit behind Russ for a season or two.

The fact that Russell is going to come so cheap and with very little risk should give him plenty of suitors. I'm still saying he goes with the Pats.

Anyhow, it's an interesting development from a couple of different angles.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:16 pm

According to PFT Wilson is signing with Pittsburgh.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:43 am

NorthHawk wrote:According to PFT Wilson is signing with Pittsburgh.

Yup, one year contract for $40m, the Steelers get charged the vet minimum of $1.21M, the Donkeys pick up the balance. I would have lost my bet had I been a gambling man. I would have had my money on the Pats.

It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do with Kenny Pickett. The word was that they weren't ready to move on from him, but this may change that thinking.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... e-steelers

The Steelers went to the playoffs last season, so they have some realistic expectations of becoming a legitimate Super Bowl contender. They have a top 10 defense and a solid running game. Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season, and he's the longest tenured head coach in the league. This could be the fulfillment of Russell's dream of winning another ring. It's the best situation he could hope for given the absolute disaster in Denver.

But they're in a very competitive division with 3 teams making the playoffs and all 4 finishing with a winning record. The division champ Ravens had the best W/L record in all of football. An AFC North team has been in the conference championship game for the past three consecutive seasons. And the Steelers offensive line had a horrible year in pass protection, with PFF ranking them 2nd worst in the league in pass blocking while Russell's Denver unit ranked 5th. A hesitant QB that holds onto the ball forever is only going to make things worse. Russell's going to have to change his game, or the OL make an about face if they're to be successful.

If Pickett stays on the roster and Russell doesn't play well and/or the team struggles, they'll have a two-year starting quarterback waiting in the wings to replace him. If Russ doesn't catch on with the Steelers, it's quite possible if not likely that he never gets an opportunity to start another game in his career. This could be his last hurrah.

And the drama builds.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:51 am

They play in Denver this year, too.
It's been an interesting year so far and we haven't started FA yet.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:07 am

NorthHawk wrote:They play in Denver this year, too.
It's been an interesting year so far and we haven't started FA yet.

Yeah, I saw that. Wouldn't it be ironic if it were the season opener like it was with us two years ago? The schedule makers have to be thinking about it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:05 pm

Russ to Steelers, should have put money on that. Best of luck with him in Black and Gold. I wouldn't be surprised he does well since he has a lot to prove again now considering how much the Broncos "Let's Ride" was a disaster.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:27 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Russ to Steelers, should have put money on that. Best of luck with him in Black and Gold. I wouldn't be surprised he does well since he has a lot to prove again now considering how much the Broncos "Let's Ride" was a disaster.

PFT asked what his tag line would now be : ‘Let’s Forge!’
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:03 am

Somehow it is easier to root for Russell than when he was a Bronco. He gave a lot of good for us.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:40 pm

It looks like the Steelers are going to roll all the way with Russell. They're trading Kenny Pickett across the state to the Eagles:

Steelers trade Kenny Pickett to the Eagles after signing Russell Wilson, sources tell the AP

The Steelers are trading the quarterback to the Philadelphia Eagles, multiple sources told The Associated Press. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not official.

Pittsburgh will receive a third-round pick in this year's NFL draft and two seventh-round choices in the 2025 draft in exchange for Pickett and Pittsburgh's fourth-round pick this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/st ... 98328&ei=9
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:19 pm

I'm reading now that Picket was having a 'tude problem of his own ... refused to dress as the emergency QB week 17 last year and was not handling the Wilson signing well at all before they traded him.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:07 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm reading now that Picket was having a 'tude problem of his own ... refused to dress as the emergency QB week 17 last year and was not handling the Wilson signing well at all before they traded him.

Wow. That's interesting. It would explain a lot of things. This must be the article you're referring to:

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette added that the Steelers decided to trade Pickett because he "was poorly handling" the arrival of Wilson.

"That came on the heels of Pickett's behavior last season when he refused to dress as the emergency third quarterback in Seattle in Week 17," Dulac added.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... n-contract
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

Mike Tomlin seems like the kind of coach that Russ may get along with. Who knows at this point, but Pitt about as good a place as any. All they care about is a tough football player who won't give up. They run as far as I know a pretty basic play-action offense.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:39 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Wow. That's interesting. It would explain a lot of things. This must be the article you're referring to:

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette added that the Steelers decided to trade Pickett because he "was poorly handling" the arrival of Wilson.

"That came on the heels of Pickett's behavior last season when he refused to dress as the emergency third quarterback in Seattle in Week 17," Dulac added.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... n-contract

That's the one.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:42 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Mike Tomlin seems like the kind of coach that Russ may get along with. Who knows at this point, but Pitt about as good a place as any. All they care about is a tough football player who won't give up. They run as far as I know a pretty basic play-action offense.

I understand during Russ' visit with the Stealers he spent hours with Tomlin and they hit it off pretty well. I can see the two of them finding common ground football wise.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:50 pm

This is as good of a situation post Broncos/Payton that Russell could have hoped for. The Steelers are a playoff team that is desperate for a quarterback to get them over the hump. It's apparent that Pickett had not only pissed off his coaches, but he had also lost the confidence of his teammates as a number of them were lobbying Russell to come play for them, at least according to Russell:

Cam Heyward spent an hour on facetime with Russell Wilson in an effort to recruit him to the Steelers, according to Wilson himself at his introductory press conference. Other players, including T.J. Watt, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Pat Freiermuth were all named by Wilson as guys who pushed for him to join them in Pittsburgh. Once Wilson did get signed, Pickett was reportedly not happy. The locker room lost faith and actively recruited his replacement, and it’s not hard to see why. Pickett has 13 touchdown passes in 25 starts- Wilson had 26 touchdown passes last season alone. Pickett also has the lowest touchdown percentage in NFL history amongst all 315 quarterbacks with at least 500 pass attempts, and he is the only one with a touchdown percentage lower than two percent.

Once the team got anything close to resembling competent quarterback play, it was evident they couldn’t go back to what Pickett was giving them. And while the scrutiny of former offensive coordinator Matt Canada is more than warranted, Pickett also consistently missed open targets, pirouetted into sacks, and wasn’t progressing nearly enough to show that he had the potential to be an elite franchise quarterback.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2 ... ike-tomlin

One of the problems is that they're in a very tough division, arguably the strongest division in football, with 3 playoff teams last season, the entire division above .500, and three straight seasons with an AFC North team in the AFCCG
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:42 pm

According to Steelers beat writer Gerry Dulac, this trade was prompted by Pickett’s behavior at the end of last season and how he handled the news of Russell Wilson joining the team.

"It’s one thing to back up a bridge veteran on the downside of his career, but now Pickett heads to Philadelphia — where the fans and media are far worse than he’s endured in Pittsburgh — to back up MVP-caliber quarterback Jalen Hurts, who got paid a boatload of money in 2023.

There’s no telling if Pickett would’ve worked his way up to QB1 after Wilson’s contract with the Steelers ended, but he would’ve at least had an opportunity where he definitely won’t in Philly."

Philadelphia is no place for a quarterback with a fragile ego. Pickett will be eaten alive.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:21 pm

It's not like they're handing it to Russ on a plater though, now they've signed Justin Fields too!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:22 pm

and the latest is that Pittsburgh wants to sign 'ol Russ to a new long term contract. Evidently, they must be just plain ignorant. I hope he gets his own office and parking stalls right up front!
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:43 pm

That might be something said to make him feel more comfortable in Pittsburgh.
I know he doesn’t want for confidence but after the Denver debacle…
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum