Russell Wilson

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Russell Wilson

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:38 am

The date on this letter is in direct conflict with that account. Someone is lying, my money is on Peyton.

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:45 am

It sounds like Peyton wanted a reason to bench Wilson but couldn't until they lost a game.
But I'm sure a big part of it is the money which probably comes from upstairs and I don't think that putting a coach in that position to cover for Management or ownership is the proper way to do things.
So Peyton has found himself in a bit of a bind. It's a good thing for them that they aren't in the middle of the playoff hunt with a good shot at the SB.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:29 am

c_hawkbob wrote:The date on this letter is in direct conflict with that account. Someone is lying, my money is on Peyton.

I don't doubt that Payton is lying, either. I don't trust either one of those guys any further than I could spit.

Even if they were to prove that the Broncos made a threat to bench Russell was made back in October, the fact that they continued to start him for 7 straight games makes it look like an empty threat. The plaintiff would be asking for damages that didn't occur, or at least didn't occur in a timely manner after the threat was made.

Russell's eventual benching came after the Brocos had lost 3 of the last 4 and on the heels of a bad home loss to one of the worst teams in the league and were virtually eliminated from playoff contention, so it would make perfect sense for a team to bench an underperforming quarterback they were contemplating parting ways with for the last two games, glorified preseason games, and see what a QB they had signed earlier could do for them.

I'll bet you a tall cold one that this issue goes nowhere.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:38 am

NorthHawk wrote:It sounds like Peyton wanted a reason to bench Wilson but couldn't until they lost a game.
But I'm sure a big part of it is the money which probably comes from upstairs and I don't think that putting a coach in that position to cover for Management or ownership is the proper way to do things.
So Peyton has found himself in a bit of a bind. It's a good thing for them that they aren't in the middle of the playoff hunt with a good shot at the SB.

I'm not a labor attorney and I don't know exactly how the laws and the CBA read, but if a threat like this did occur, it would IMO constitute an unfair labor practice. Every contract, lease, partnership, or other legally binding agreement has certain standards that prohibit things like threats, coercion, intimidation, duress, undue influence, etc. I'm pretty sure that's what the NFLPA was referring to by claiming that the Broncos were in violation of NY State law.

I don't necessarily believe or disbelieve either party's account. But the burden of proof is always on the accuser, and I just don't see how RW's side/NFLPA can prevail in an arbitration.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:44 am

RiverDog wrote:After the way he left Seattle, I have a hard time taking what Russell says at face value.

Agreed. And the article describes Payton seeing the same thing we identified in Russ' game years ago. I'm not surprised at all that the benching came from his teammates criticizing his play and not a contract-related concern. Not that I doubt teams will do that—because I absolutely think teams do this stuff—but the most common reason for benching players is that they aren't performing, and Russ hasn't been performing up to his contract for a long time.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:12 am

I think that interview is as honest as he's ever been about football. I believe it's what he truly thinks happened and if they had kept on winning, it would have been harder to sit him but they don't want to guarantee $37 Million next year.
In the NFL it's about money. It's always been about money and how to save it and how to make it. It's why we don't have permanent referees and still don't have all the best camera angles and why they put in artificial turf even though the players say it wears them down faster than grass, and it's why we have 17 games and the NFL is pushing for 18, and why they are expanding to Europe and now South America and soon Asia.
For the NFL owners, nothing tops money and making more of it. So saving on a big contract would be high on the new owners list of things to do. After all, inheritances are hard to come by.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:08 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think that interview is as honest as he's ever been about football. I believe it's what he truly thinks happened and if they had kept on winning, it would have been harder to sit him but they don't want to guarantee $37 Million next year.

It's hard to tell with Russell. He's a slick politician who can put on the charm, look and sound like he's genuine. I'm not calling him a liar or disbelieving his side, just that with him, I have to hear or see something extra so I can validate it.

NorthHawk wrote:In the NFL it's about money. It's always been about money and how to save it and how to make it. It's why we don't have permanent referees and still don't have all the best camera angles and why they put in artificial turf even though the players say it wears them down faster than grass, and it's why we have 17 games and the NFL is pushing for 18, and why they are expanding to Europe and now South America and soon Asia.

For the NFL owners, nothing tops money and making more of it. So saving on a big contract would be high on the new owners list of things to do. After all, inheritances are hard to come by.

If you hadn't made the comment about turf, I'd be right there with you. At one time, artificial turf, at least the latest generation Field Turf, was thought to be superior to grass, especially in adverse weather conditions. Do you remember the natural grass turf at FedEx Field where Chris Clemmons and Adrian Peterson blew out their knees and where everyone bitched about it? So I can see some hesitation in replacing everything with natural grass. But yes, making the field less maintenance intensive and allowing for more events absolutely was one of the major considerations in going with turf.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:19 pm

As most of us know, our old friend Russell Wilson is almost certainly going to be released by the Broncos sometime between now and March 16 as if he's on their roster after that date, the Donkeys are on the hook for $37M. No one in their right mind is going to trade for him given his contract and his pending release.

Russell has indicated that he's willing to take a massive pay cut, perhaps as low as the league minimum, but that he doesn't want to go to a team that hires him just as a backup or insurance policy. He still has it in his mind that he can resurrect his career.

There are a good 7-8 teams that could fit that bill. The Patriots are likely to move away from Mac Jones. Many are speculating that they'll take a QB with their #3 overall pick and could be in need of a veteran QB that can start for a year or two and be a good mentor until their QBOTF is ready to start. A similar situation exists with the Commanders as Sam Howell is rumored to be on the trading block, and the Falcons are less than enthusiastic about their young gun Desmond Ridder. The Vikings may be in the QB market if they don't resign Kirk Cousins. The Raiders, Steelers, and Titans have all been mentioned as a possible RW destination. And suppose Aaron Rodgers suddenly decides to call it a career?

There's 8 teams off the top of my head. But given that Russ turns 37 in November, I don't see any of them giving him any more than a one year "prove it" deal. It's not very likely that someone is going to see him as being their long-term answer.

So where do you think he ends up? Can he resurrect his career? Will anyone even give him a chance? It looks like our old friend Hawktawk is closer to being right about Russell than any of the rest of us. I wonder if he'll come back in here to collect his dues.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:09 pm

Russ and Pete are all done. I figured neither one was going to do much after Russ was traded and Pete's removal was a matter of time as well. Neither one was ever going to recover from that Super Bowl loss. I felt it after that loss, but you keep watching.

New era. Russ and Pete had their time. It will always be a great period in Seattle Seahawks history. But their time has past and there is no regaining the old glory.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:40 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Russ and Pete are all done. I figured neither one was going to do much after Russ was traded and Pete's removal was a matter of time as well. Neither one was ever going to recover from that Super Bowl loss. I felt it after that loss, but you keep watching.

New era. Russ and Pete had their time. It will always be a great period in Seattle Seahawks history. But their time has past and there is no regaining the old glory.

I agree. No matter what Russell has done recently or what he does in the future, I'll always be thankful to him for his role in the best period of Seahawk football in franchise history. Same with Pete. But that wasn't really the point I was trying to make.

This situation with Russell makes for some interesting drama. Where will he end up? Can he resurrect his career? Was the break-up in Denver his fault or Payton's? Did they pull the plug on him too soon?

I think he's toast, too, but I've been wrong before.
Last edited by RiverDog on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:32 pm

He can probably make a career as a well paid backup as some older QBs do. Seems backups make 5 million or more nowadays which is still great money for most people. He does have that expensive wife to support.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:47 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:He can probably make a career as a well paid backup as some older QBs do. Seems backups make 5 million or more nowadays which is still great money for most people. He does have that expensive wife to support.

According to reports, Russell does not want to be a backup and will sign only if they give him a reasonable assurance that he'll be the starter. In exchange, he's willing to take a massive pay cut, perhaps even to the league minimum.

At 36 years, old, Wilson has to be thinking about his legacy, and the only way to overcome the stench of the past two seasons is to be a starter and win another SB and/or MVP:

With money not an issue, he'll (Russell) be looking for a place where he'll know he's going to play — and where he thinks the team will be good enough to allow him to restore his status as a player who could end up with a bronze bust in Canton. The last two years have muddied if not drowned his case for the Hall of Fame. He arguably needs a Kurt Warner-style closing stretch to his career that makes 2022-23 a donut hole that can be overlooked when considering his case for enshrinement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ru ... r-BB1iOYl4
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:06 am

He won’t be taking a massive pay cut this year as he’s guaranteed the 2nd year of his Denver deal that they are paying him. Something like $35M is guaranteed so any team signing him would only have to pay the minimum nfl salary. I assume there’s some offset language and if so that would be deducted from Denver’s Cap hit. If no offset then he would get an extra Million or thereabouts. Either way he won’t take a pay cut this year.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:20 pm

NorthHawk wrote:He won’t be taking a massive pay cut this year as he’s guaranteed the 2nd year of his Denver deal that they are paying him. Something like $35M is guaranteed so any team signing him would only have to pay the minimum nfl salary. I assume there’s some offset language and if so that would be deducted from Denver’s Cap hit. If no offset then he would get an extra Million or thereabouts. Either way he won’t take a pay cut this year.

I think that's correct.

The issue isn't going to be money, it's going to be whether or not they want to hand him the starting job. Several teams might be interested in him as a backup or insurance policy, perhaps mentor a rookie they intend on drafting, but I don't think there's going to be very many teams that will hand the reigns over to him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby trents » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:17 pm

Russ out of touch with reality! Speaks of winning two super bowls in the next five years going forward.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ru ... r-BB1iS81n
trents
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:01 pm

trents wrote:Russ out of touch with reality! Speaks of winning two super bowls in the next five years going forward.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ru ... r-BB1iS81n

Russ ain't never been in touch with reality. It's why he made it in the first place as far as he has. If Russ were too in touch with reality, he would have never tried to be a 5'10.5" QB. In the business he is in, no use being in touch with reality. NFL will teach him reality as soon as it's done with him, which may be now.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 pm

The specifics of Denver’s timeline with Wilson, who was benched by Payton for the final two games last season, have been well-established. If he is on the team’s roster March 17, his $37 million salary for 2025 becomes guaranteed. Releasing him before that date would create the massive dead-money hit that the Broncos will likely spread out over two seasons by virtue of a post-June designation. The Broncos could take a smaller chunk of the hit in 2024 by exercising an option bonus in Wilson’s contract. Choosing that path would leave the Broncos with roughly $35 million in dead money next season and $50 million in 2025. If they don’t exercise the option, the hit would be $53 million in 2024 and $32 million in 2025.

Holy cow, that is a huge dead cap hit to suffer for 2 years!
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:35 am

But wait... if Denver releases him, we can sign him for the Vets min on a 1 year deal for something like 1.5 million. Anyone want him back? Oh, wait, he'll only sign if he's the guaranteed starter, just like Kaepernick!
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:40 am

jshawaii22 wrote:But wait... if Denver releases him, we can sign him for the Vets min on a 1 year deal for something like 1.5 million. Anyone want him back? Oh, wait, he'll only sign if he's the guaranteed starter, just like Kaepernick!

Actually, there are some 12's that are suggesting that we bring him back to the Hawks. Even if he were the best option available, of which he is far from, the media circus and distraction he'd cause our new coaching staff would be unbearable. Russell's burned too many bridges. He's permanently in the Seahawk past.

There are a lot of teams that would love to bring Russell in at the league minimum as a backup, but as a guaranteed starter?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:02 pm

Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:57 pm

What a strange sense of timing that Russell and Pete both let go by their respective teams in the same year. It's like they were so intertwined with each other that even their fates seem to have aligned at the same time to a similar state. Though I imagine Russ will find some team to sign with though who knows, maybe no one will want him either.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:59 pm

Yup, but the politically correct term is "released."

My understanding is that the cap hit for the Broncos is more than the next two largest cap hits in the history of the league combined. What a frigging disaster.

Any bets on where his next landing spot might be and/or how he and/or his team fare? Another two Super Bowls per Russell's vision?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:58 pm

RiverDog wrote:My understanding is that the cap hit for the Broncos is more than the next two largest cap hits in the history of the league combined. What a frigging disaster.

Any bets on where his next landing spot might be and/or how he and/or his team fare? Another two Super Bowls per Russell's vision?

This is an absolute disaster for the Broncos, considering the $85 mil cap hit shows they wanted to move on completely from him and not even try and salvage some sort of draft capital. Just like Jamal Adams, there aren't a lot of teams wiling to take on the salary but you can certainly negotiate taking on most of that 'owed money' and still working out a trade and at least get a pick in return.

Maybe the rumors are true about Russ and most teams out there were never that high on him given his accolades. Talk about a fall from grace. It was shocking he when he was traded away, and it's just as shocking to see him being set to be released.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:34 pm

RiverDog wrote:My understanding is that the cap hit for the Broncos is more than the next two largest cap hits in the history of the league combined. What a frigging disaster.

4XPIPS wrote:This is an absolute disaster for the Broncos, considering the $85 mil cap hit shows they wanted to move on completely from him and not even try and salvage some sort of draft capital. Just like Jamal Adams, there aren't a lot of teams wiling to take on the salary but you can certainly negotiate taking on most of that 'owed money' and still working out a trade and at least get a pick in return.

Maybe the rumors are true about Russ and most teams out there were never that high on him given his accolades. Talk about a fall from grace. It was shocking he when he was traded away, and it's just as shocking to see him being set to be released.

Some of us in here, one person in particular, saw this coming. I guess was 50/50, saying that he was going to have to change his style of play if he was to be successful, but that I thought that he would, that he was introspective enough to realize that his skills had diminished. But of course, the final chapter on Russell Wilson has yet to be written, so no one gets the last laugh just yet.

It's a drama that I've never seen play out before. Here you have this player who was at least borderline HOF' quality....some in here stating unequivocally that he was a slam dunk for a gold jacket...and at a time of his career where he should be in his prime years, he's been kicked to the curb even though the consequences for his former team are huge. In less than two years, Russell Wilson has gone from HOF candidate to the punch line of a joke.

My guess is that Russell ends up with a team looking for a cheap "bridge" quarterback, signs for one, perhaps two seasons, sort of like we're doing with Geno. Given the fact that he'll sign for the league minimum, there's a lot of teams that fit into that category, roughly 1/4 of the league. Teams that are being mentioned are, in no particular order, the Falcons, Steelers, Patriots, Bears, Vikings, Bucs, Pats, and Raiders. And there are a few other dark horses that could enter the sweepstakes. Assume for a moment that Aaron Rodgers decides to call it a career. Would they want to try another Wilson?

The other thing about this saga is Russell himself. Love him or hate him, s\he's an interesting character to say the least. To listen to him talk, you'd think that everything is rainbows and unicorns.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:48 pm

RiverDog wrote:Some of us in here, one person in particular, saw this coming. I guess was 50/50, saying that he was going to have to change his style of play if he was to be successful, but that I thought that he would, that he was introspective enough to realize that his skills had diminished. But of course, the final chapter on Russell Wilson has yet to be written, so no one gets the last laugh just yet.

It's a drama that I've never seen play out before. Here you have this player who was at least borderline HOF' quality....some in here stating unequivocally that he was a slam dunk for a gold jacket...and at a time of his career where he should be in his prime years, he's been kicked to the curb even though the consequences for his former team are huge. In less than two years, Russell Wilson has gone from HOF candidate to the punch line of a joke.

My guess is that Russell ends up with a team looking for a cheap "bridge" quarterback, signs for one, perhaps two seasons, sort of like we're doing with Geno. Given the fact that he'll sign for the league minimum, there's a lot of teams that fit into that category, roughly 1/4 of the league. Teams that are being mentioned are, in no particular order, the Falcons, Steelers, Patriots, Bears, Vikings, Bucs, Pats, and Raiders. And there are a few other dark horses that could enter the sweepstakes. Assume for a moment that Aaron Rodgers decides to call it a career. Would they want to try another Wilson?

The other thing about this saga is Russell himself. Love him or hate him, s\he's an interesting character to say the least. To listen to him talk, you'd think that everything is rainbows and unicorns.

You don't find it interesting that neither Russ nor Pete survived the trade? Russell couldn't turn Denver into a contender. All that draft capital didn't help Pete turn this team around.

Remember being told we're not rebuilding? There was an insistence we weren't doing a rebuild. And we would contend with Geno. The trade was going to turn everything around. And Geno would be the next guy and was a Super Bowl competitive QB?

Seems in the end neither Russell nor Pete benefitted from this trade. They were at their best together. Apart neither one survived and both were kicked from their teams at the same time.

Now that is something I've never seen before. I cannot recall a star QB being traded by a head coach for immense draft capital and yet both of them completely failing and both getting cut or fired by their respective teams at the same time. It's like some weird story.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:29 pm

RiverDog wrote:Some of us in here, one person in particular, saw this coming. I guess was 50/50, saying that he was going to have to change his style of play if he was to be successful, but that I thought that he would, that he was introspective enough to realize that his skills had diminished. But of course, the final chapter on Russell Wilson has yet to be written, so no one gets the last laugh just yet.

Aseahawkfan wrote:You don't find it interesting that neither Russ nor Pete survived the trade? Russell couldn't turn Denver into a contender. All that draft capital didn't help Pete turn this team around.

Remember being told we're not rebuilding? There was an insistence we weren't doing a rebuild. And we would contend with Geno. The trade was going to turn everything around. And Geno would be the next guy and was a Super Bowl competitive QB?

Seems in the end neither Russell nor Pete benefitted from this trade. They were at their best together. Apart neither one survived and both were kicked from their teams at the same time.

Now that is something I've never seen before. I cannot recall a star QB being traded by a head coach for immense draft capital and yet both of them completely failing and both getting cut or fired by their respective teams at the same time. It's like some weird story.

Did I say that I didn't find it interesting that neither Pete or Russell survived the trade? It's damn interesting, although I don't think that the trade was the beginning of the end for either.

Both were on their decent paths before the trade. Pete had lost his way defensively, made a huge blunder in trading for a player he didn't know how to use, kept throwing coordinators into the volcano. Russell's demise was well underway in his past few seasons with us, his skill set had diminished, and he hadn't changed his style of play to compensate for it, a trend that continued in Denver.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:39 pm

RiverDog wrote:Did I say that I didn't find it interesting that neither Pete or Russell survived the trade? It's damn interesting, although I don't think that the trade was the beginning of the end for either.

Both were on their decent paths before the trade. Pete had lost his way defensively, made a huge blunder in trading for a player he didn't know how to use, kept throwing coordinators into the volcano. Russell's demise was well underway in his past few seasons with us, his skill set had diminished, and he hadn't changed his style of play to compensate for it, a trend that continued in Denver.

No, but you are pushing this narrative on this prediction when if you look back at those threads, some of us predicted Russ and Pete were both likely done. That turned out to be true as well. Neither one of them is coming back to top form at this point. And some were saying we weren't in a rebuild and this trade was going to replenish the team and it didn't. It didn't at all. In fact, this trade may well just be looked at as recovering the draft capital from the failed Jamal Adams trade.

Russ had a 40 TD year in 2020. A drop off in 2021. Collapsed in Denver in 2022 and improved in 2023.

I'm not real sure why Payton decided Russ was done. Most teams would be happy with a 26 TDS to 8 Int TD to int ratio with a 98 QB rating while missing the last two games. But Payton decided Russ was not for him and had enough power to make that happen.

Watching Russ, he did seem weak in the red zone, the most important zone for a QB. He could not win games against good teams in the 4th quarter.

Here's the kicker: Russ performed equal to or better than Geno this year and still got cut. If you compared Russ to Geno, he was better than Geno in quite a few stats with fewer weapons.

Wasn't there a prediction that Geno would be better than Russ going forward? That happened for one year and then Russ was at least equal if not better than Geno this year though I guess that depends on what stats you look at.

We know Payton likes a high volume timing passing game, which is not Russ's forte. Russ is more of a play action QB.

Now would I pay what Denver paid for Russ's production? Nope. Is Russ still better than a lot of QBs in this league including Geno? I think so. I might even be tempted to bring Russ back on the cheap for no other reason than familiarity with our receivers. I'm not sure what type of offense Grubb runs and if it isn't a play action pass offense, Russ likely can't run it.

If we could grab Russ for 10 million a year, I might do it as a bridge QB for competition against Geno. You know what? It would be super funny to have taken Denver to the cleaners for a QB we sign that produces for us. As a GM I might do it just for the amusement. Geno isn't so good Russ couldn't compete against him and with our weapons on offense and MacDonald being a new coach with no attachment, might be worth a look. Sign Russ for 10 to 15 a year for 2 or 3 years. See if he can find the magic with receivers he knows.

Really make Denver feels stupid getting more production out of Russ both in trade and on the field than they could.

And if Russ falls hard, then we get a higher draft pick for a QB with the cheap bridge QB that Geno is doing anyway.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:12 pm

You have a #3 jersey?
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:11 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:No, but you are pushing this narrative on this prediction when if you look back at those threads, some of us predicted Russ and Pete were both likely done. That turned out to be true as well. Neither one of them is coming back to top form at this point. And some were saying we weren't in a rebuild and this trade was going to replenish the team and it didn't. It didn't at all. In fact, this trade may well just be looked at as recovering the draft capital from the failed Jamal Adams trade.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I thought that RW needed to change his style of play to succeed but where I was wrong was that I thought that he could and would, and obviously he has yet to make that change. He still holds onto the ball to GD long and takes too many sacks, can't or won't throw over the middle. As far as PC goes, I thought that we should have gotten rid of him even before the RW trade, but I never thought that Jody would pull the trigger.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Russ had a 40 TD year in 2020. A drop off in 2021. Collapsed in Denver in 2022 and improved in 2023.

I'm not real sure why Payton decided Russ was done. Most teams would be happy with a 26 TDS to 8 Int TD to int ratio with a 98 QB rating while missing the last two games. But Payton decided Russ was not for him and had enough power to make that happen.

Watching Russ, he did seem weak in the red zone, the most important zone for a QB. He could not win games against good teams in the 4th quarter.

Here's the kicker: Russ performed equal to or better than Geno this year and still got cut. If you compared Russ to Geno, he was better than Geno in quite a few stats with fewer weapons.

Wasn't there a prediction that Geno would be better than Russ going forward? That happened for one year and then Russ was at least equal if not better than Geno this year though I guess that depends on what stats you look at.

We know Payton likes a high volume timing passing game, which is not Russ's forte. Russ is more of a play action QB.

Russell could or would not stay on script and was too used to ad libbing, ie "let Russ cook." Hackett literally gave Russell a free hand, let him do whatever he wanted. It was almost a co-coach situation and was an unmitigated disaster. It was likely the same issue which caused the split between Pete and Russell here, that Russell wanted more authority than Pete was willing to give. Under Payton, it wasn't insubordination on Russell's part as much as it was a "can't teach an old dog new tricks." Payton found himself trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Here's an example of what was likely frustrating Payton. Russ is supposed to hit the receiver on a slant across the middle but opts to break the pocket to his right.

https://twitter.com/BroncosAve/status/1 ... _&ref_url=

That play was against the Patriots, where the Broncos got beat by a weaker team and essentially eliminated them from playoff contention.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Now would I pay what Denver paid for Russ's production? Nope. Is Russ still better than a lot of QBs in this league including Geno? I think so. I might even be tempted to bring Russ back on the cheap for no other reason than familiarity with our receivers. I'm not sure what type of offense Grubb runs and if it isn't a play action pass offense, Russ likely can't run it.

If we could grab Russ for 10 million a year, I might do it as a bridge QB for competition against Geno. You know what? It would be super funny to have taken Denver to the cleaners for a QB we sign that produces for us. As a GM I might do it just for the amusement. Geno isn't so good Russ couldn't compete against him and with our weapons on offense and MacDonald being a new coach with no attachment, might be worth a look. Sign Russ for 10 to 15 a year for 2 or 3 years. See if he can find the magic with receivers he knows.

Really make Denver feels stupid getting more production out of Russ both in trade and on the field than they could.

And if Russ falls hard, then we get a higher draft pick for a QB with the cheap bridge QB that Geno is doing anyway.

No way do I want Russell back here, even for the league minimum. For one, it would be a media circus, a huge distraction, one that a young, first year head coach doesn't need. At least half of our fan base has a very strong dislike for Russell, and it would create a huge problem for Mac. Secondly, Geno is under contract and at this point, a better quarterback as he isn't as undisciplined as Russell is and would fit more easily into Grubb's offense. Russell has already said that he doesn't want to be a backup, that he wants to start. We'd be foolish to bring him in with those kinds of expectations. Besides, Russell and his agent have likely burned their bridges with JS. Except for a few random fans, I'm not hearing a sole say that the Hawks are a possible destination for RW.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:16 am

Old but Slow wrote:You have a #3 jersey?

Of course, who doesn't? (besides you Riv, we all know "player worship" and all that)
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Did I say that I didn't find it interesting that neither Pete or Russell survived the trade? It's damn interesting, although I don't think that the trade was the beginning of the end for either.

Love that line, that really sums it up perfectly, LOL! I can see Russ going to the Steelers. I can't seem him going to a team that has a new HC and is looking to dress up a new team and get a fresh start. Hence I can definitely agree he will not be resigning with the Hawks, unless for technical reasons he wants to retire a Hawk and that would be a technicality and he would resign for that.

It's sad because I still have much love for Russ and wanted him to have the Brett Favre sign off where he showed he can still elevate a team.

Here is a wild thought, could you see the Cowboys signing Russ? There were rumors way back in the day that Jerry Jones always thought highly of Russ because of his ability to clutch games, but again that is afterthought today. However, Jerry is desperate and is running out of time for his Boys to win another SB, and I can see him wanting that potential option because how many seasons can Jerry stomach watching his high profile QB choke it up in the post season?
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:59 pm

RiverDog wrote:Did I say that I didn't find it interesting that neither Pete or Russell survived the trade? It's damn interesting, although I don't think that the trade was the beginning of the end for either.

4XPIPS wrote:Love that line, that really sums it up perfectly, LOL! I can see Russ going to the Steelers. I can't seem him going to a team that has a new HC and is looking to dress up a new team and get a fresh start. Hence I can definitely agree he will not be resigning with the Hawks, unless for technical reasons he wants to retire a Hawk and that would be a technicality and he would resign for that.

It's sad because I still have much love for Russ and wanted him to have the Brett Favre sign off where he showed he can still elevate a team.

Here is a wild thought, could you see the Cowboys signing Russ? There were rumors way back in the day that Jerry Jones always thought highly of Russ because of his ability to clutch games, but again that is afterthought today. However, Jerry is desperate and is running out of time for his Boys to win another SB, and I can see him wanting that potential option because how many seasons can Jerry stomach watching his high profile QB choke it up in the post season?

The Steelers are sounding like they won't enter the RW sweepstakes. They still want to push ahead with Kenny Pickett:

Yet, two years later, the talk around the NFL Scouting Combine is that Pickett could get another shot for the Steelers in 2024.

"Even as they sort out their quarterback outlook, the Steelers have started the process of rebuilding third-year passer Kenny Pickett,” writes ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler. “I’m told new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith recently spent time with Pickett in South Florida and that the two had a ‘great’ meeting.

“The sentiment among many here in Indy — including some with the team — was that Pickett could get another chance after a disastrous 2023 season due in part to the offense’s overall struggles under then-OC Matt Canada. Smith should help maximize Pickett’s skill set.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ke ... r-BB1jgr6U

Unless the Cowboys trade Dak Prescott, there's no way that Russell will end up with them. He's already stated that he wants to get an opportunity to start, and there's a good 7-8 teams that are in need of a starting QB. Despite Prescott's warts, he's still a lot better option than Russell.

BTW, look at the length of this thread, 25 pages and counting. I wonder if there's a forum record. At least it's keeping other threads from getting diluted.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:05 pm

Old but Slow wrote:You have a #3 jersey?

Check the stats, ObS. Russ played as well or better than Geno in 2023.

Geno fell off hard last year. Why not grab our former QB on the cheap? Lockett and DK never professed any dislike of Russ.

Russ already gave us great trade capital. Why not sign him cheap and milk the last few years out of him and then let him retire a Seahawk? What's it going to really do to us? Nothing.

26 TDs and 8 ints is fine for us. For 10 mill a year or so, let him work with DK and Lockett again, see what happens. We can still draft a guy the following year.

Why let Geno rest on his laurels? Did Geno really do so well he doesn't deserve from real competition from a qb like Russ? No.

I still think Russ is probably an upgrade or a side grade from Geno.

What do we got to lose?

If we could sign Russ for the league minimum like Riverdog apparently wouldn't pay for Russ, I'd do it in a heartbeat. League minimum for as much production at QB as Geno who we're paying 12 million to, why the hell not?

Russ works with coaches fine. Unless Grubb is developing a new QB learning his system, then who cares. Grubb has probably watched Russ play when he was with the Huskies. Probably knows what to do with him.

If Russ manages to land somewhere for 15 to 20 million, then yeah, no use trying to bring that here. Roll with the cheaper Geno and see what happens.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:08 pm

RiverDog wrote:The Steelers are sounding like they won't enter the RW sweepstakes. They still want to push ahead with Kenny Pickett:

Yet, two years later, the talk around the NFL Scouting Combine is that Pickett could get another shot for the Steelers in 2024.

"Even as they sort out their quarterback outlook, the Steelers have started the process of rebuilding third-year passer Kenny Pickett,” writes ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler. “I’m told new offensive coordinator Arthur Smith recently spent time with Pickett in South Florida and that the two had a ‘great’ meeting.

“The sentiment among many here in Indy — including some with the team — was that Pickett could get another chance after a disastrous 2023 season due in part to the offense’s overall struggles under then-OC Matt Canada. Smith should help maximize Pickett’s skill set.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ke ... r-BB1jgr6U

Unless the Cowboys trade Dak Prescott, there's no way that Russell will end up with them. He's already stated that he wants to get an opportunity to start, and there's a good 7-8 teams that are in need of a starting QB. Despite Prescott's warts, he's still a lot better option than Russell.

BTW, look at the length of this thread, 25 pages and counting. I wonder if there's a forum record. At least it's keeping other threads from getting diluted.

What about Cleveland? Couldn't that hopeless team use a shot of Russ's sunshine and rainbow attitude? They got a great defense and good run game. A QB like Russ might do something in Cleveland.

Deshaun Watson sucks. Flacco is way too old.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:15 pm

RiverDog wrote:Russell could or would not stay on script and was too used to ad libbing, ie "let Russ cook." Hackett literally gave Russell a free hand, let him do whatever he wanted. It was almost a co-coach situation and was an unmitigated disaster. It was likely the same issue which caused the split between Pete and Russell here, that Russell wanted more authority than Pete was willing to give. Under Payton, it wasn't insubordination on Russell's part as much as it was a "can't teach an old dog new tricks." Payton found himself trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Here's an example of what was likely frustrating Payton. Russ is supposed to hit the receiver on a slant across the middle but opts to break the pocket to his right.

https://twitter.com/BroncosAve/status/1 ... _&ref_url=

That play was against the Patriots, where the Broncos got beat by a weaker team and essentially eliminated them from playoff contention.

We'll see if Payton still has the juice to turn a team around. Payton may have had his day in the sun with Drew Brees and be done as well. He's got a whole lot of rebuilding to do in Denver and not sure how much longer that ownership group will waste on these plans that don't seem to be working.

No way do I want Russell back here, even for the league minimum. For one, it would be a media circus, a huge distraction, one that a young, first year head coach doesn't need. At least half of our fan base has a very strong dislike for Russell, and it would create a huge problem for Mac. Secondly, Geno is under contract and at this point, a better quarterback as he isn't as undisciplined as Russell is and would fit more easily into Grubb's offense. Russell has already said that he doesn't want to be a backup, that he wants to start. We'd be foolish to bring him in with those kinds of expectations. Besides, Russell and his agent have likely burned their bridges with JS. Except for a few random fans, I'm not hearing a sole say that the Hawks are a possible destination for RW.

If Russ gave us that production for league minimum, I'd take that in a heartbeat. If Mike can get the defense turned around and maintain the run game, a QB like Russ at least get us to the playoffs. I still trust his magic over Geno.

Sorry man, I've never been sold on Geno. He's not impressive to the eye test. All this talk of Geno maintaining those 2022 stats was rubbish. The real Geno production showed up in 2023. That's about what we can expect from Geno. I think Russ can do better, especially with receivers he knows that know him well.

I'd be fine letting the old dog come back for one last ride off into the sunset. See what happens. Hopefully a humbled Russ ready to work with a new coach now that Pete's gone. Let it all hang out for a last run in Seahawk Blue.

It isn't like Geno is lighting the world afire and making us all believe he's ready for a Super Bowl run or are you feeling Geno hard and love them 20 TDs and 9 ints production.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:27 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:

Geno fell off hard last year. Why not grab our former QB on the cheap? Lockett and DK never professed any dislike of Russ.

Russ already gave us great trade capital. Why not sign him cheap and milk the last few years out of him and then let him retire a Seahawk? What's it going to really do to us? Nothing.

26 TDs and 8 ints is fine for us. For 10 mill a year or so, let him work with DK and Lockett again, see what happens. We can still draft a guy the following year.

Why let Geno rest on his laurels? Did Geno really do so well he doesn't deserve from real competition from a qb like Russ? No.

What do we got to lose?

If we could sign Russ for the league minimum like Riverdog apparently wouldn't pay for Russ, I'd do it in a heartbeat. League minimum for as much production at QB as Geno who we're paying 12 million to, why the hell not?

Russ works with coaches fine. Unless Grubb is developing a new QB learning his system, then who cares. Grubb has probably watched Russ play when he was with the Huskies. Probably knows what to do with him.

If Russ manages to land somewhere for 15 to 20 million, then yeah, no use trying to bring that here. Roll with the cheaper Geno and see what happens.

Uhhhh, how about because he tried to get Schneider fired a couple off seasons ago? There is a slew of reasons, but don't think we need to go past that one. No chance JS would ever even think about bringing Russ back to Seattle.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:54 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:

What do we got to lose?

Agent 86 wrote:Uhhhh, how about because he tried to get Schneider fired a couple off seasons ago? There is a slew of reasons, but don't think we need to go past that one. No chance JS would ever even think about bringing Russ back to Seattle.

This. Russell burned his bridges, not only with a significant portion of the fan base, but he did so with management, too. I've heard that Schneider can't stand Russell's agent, likely due to that stunt he pulled the year before the trade when he covertly released to the press a list of 4 teams that Russell would accept a trade to. Talk about handicapping a GM's negotiating position.

Like you said, there's multiple other reasons, both football and non-football related, why we don't want anything to do with Russell, but there's no sense in rehashing them again.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:35 pm

The only way Russell comes back and signs with us is to retire. We need to move past him and work on the future. You would only consider signing him if we had an QB injury and our team was built for a superbowl run, and we need a competent QB to carry us through a long post season run. We are no where near that, and right now we are in the midst of a massive clean house and re-organization of this roster. Expect anywhere a 70% roster change by next year. I can expect a lot of these players moving on and bringing new talent in on this draft&FA, and next years draft&FA.

The Dallas thing was just a wild thought, and of course wouldn't happen. However, there is the Dave Canales connection, someone Russell has spent a long time with, and he may go there.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:41 pm

Get Schneider fired? That was pure rumor. Never heard of any confirmation of trying to get Schneider fired.

Where do you guys get this from? Just make it up in your head or just believe every rumor?

At the time of the trade people were claiming Russ tried to get Pete fired, yet Russ had nothing but kind words for Pete and hung out with him when he stepped down. That was all the rage: Russ tried to get Pete fired. You think Pete and Russ hang out together if that happened?

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-reunites-pete-carroll-fired-denver-broncos

Now he tried to get Schneider fired? The Pete rumor was proven wrong, but now its Schneider? How ridiculous.

I guess when Russ and Schneider are hanging out, you'll start what rumor next?

I heard tons of rubbish about the team hating him, but it's obvious some guys liked him, some didn't like you would expect on any team.

Russ just wanted to do something else. So Pete and John obliged him to our benefit. Doesn't seem to me either side hates the other.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:44 pm

4XPIPS wrote:The only way Russell comes back and signs with us is to retire. We need to move past him and work on the future. You would only consider signing him if we had an QB injury and our team was built for a superbowl run, and we need a competent QB to carry us through a long post season run. We are no where near that, and right now we are in the midst of a massive clean house and re-organization of this roster. Expect anywhere a 70% roster change by next year. I can expect a lot of these players moving on and bringing new talent in on this draft&FA, and next years draft&FA.

The Dallas thing was just a wild thought, and of course wouldn't happen. However, there is the Dave Canales connection, someone Russell has spent a long time with, and he may go there.

Likely true. I'd still take Russ over Geno.

I don't hate Geno, but I also got no love for him either. He's just some guy to me that ain't never gonna take us to a Super Bowl. Nothing to look forward to with Geno at QB. Just boring, careful football leading to misleading stats and a false sense of competition.

I'd rather watch Russ run around then Geno making sure he don't throw an int.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks Forum