Russell Wilson

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Russell Wilson

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:24 am

Hopefully, we can have a rational discussion of our former favorite son without engaging in a bunch of name calling or overuse of worn-out superlatives.

Russell has had a tough go of it since leaving Seattle. There was a ton of hype in Denver ever since the trade earlier this year. Some of it can be blamed on the man himself, as Russ has an attitude much like that of his former coach, always the optimist and never one to avoid a microphone or shed even the slightest doubt on his and the team's prospects. The media has also done their part by consistently rating the Broncos as one of the favorites in the AFC. Even after their losing the opener, the Broncos were still ranked anywhere from #8 to #15, when the reality is that they were a 7-10, non-playoff team last season and playing in a very tough division, arguably the toughest in the league.

Their season opener didn't go well. The Broncos came into the game as solid favorites. Denver fumbled the ball twice at the one yard line and their offense was out of sync all game, once collecting two delay of game penalties in the same drive. Some of this can be attributed to Russell's not taking a single snap in the preseason, some of it to a new coach installing a new system. The end of the game was a complete cluster, with the Broncos horribly mismanaging the last two minutes of the game, then decided to attempt what would have been an all time record long FG that wasn't kicked in a dome or at high elevation.

Their next game, vs. the Texans, a team widely considered as one of the worst in the league, the offense sputtered all game, and they went into the 4th quarter trailing 9-6. A 4th quarter TD and FG saved them from an embarrassing loss. Russell finished the game 14-31 for a measly 219 yard with one TD and one INT. The game featured an ironic decision by Hackett where the Broncos, on 4th and 3 at the Texan's 41 yard line late in the 3rd quarter and trailing 9-6, opted to punt instead of running a play or opting to attempt a 59 yard FG in mile high Denver, 5 yards shorter than the one they attempted with everything on the line in the previous game in Seattle.

The following game, on SNF, the Broncos beat a San Francisco team that was widely expected to be one of the top contenders in the league, but like the Texans victory, the Broncos offense sputtered, with Russell not even reaching 200 yards passing. Even though the Broncos won the game by beating a major contender, pushing their record to 2-1 and tied for the division lead, the Broncos fans weren't impressed.

Then came this past Sunday. The Broncos faced the only winless team in the league, the division rival Raiders, and lost by two scores. Russell didn't play all that bad, completing 17 out of 25 attempts and two TD's with no interceptions, but not the type of result you'd expect from a "Let Russ cook!" offense. The loss dropped the Broncos to 2-2.

This past week, every sports show and publication in the country has been displaying graphics of Russell vs. his replacement in Seattle, Geno Smith, who is off to a fantastic start, at least statistically. It's added fuel to the fire in Denver, and Bronco fans are continually reminded what the Broncos gave up and the contract Russell was signed to. It's an understatement to say that the natives are restless.

That brings us to tonight's TNF game, the Broncos hosting the 1-2-1 Indianapolis Colts. The Colts will be without the league's top performing running back, Jonathan Taylor. Starting QB Matt Ryan has had a worse transition to his new team than Russell has with his, with 8 turnovers in 4 games and having been sacked 15 times. This should be an easy win for the Broncos, but they lost their top running back, Javonte Williams, and one of his targets, Tim Patrick, for the season. DE Randy Gregory, one of the few offseason additions made by the Broncos besides Russell, has also been placed on the IR.

On paper, this is just another regular season game. A loss by either team is not going to torpedo their season. But for Russell and his head coach, it's essential that not only that they win, but look good in doing so. If they don't, they'll be burning effigies of Russell and Hackett outside the stadium after the game.

Should be fun.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Russell Wilson

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:23 am

Russ is also playing with an "injured" right shoulder, nothing specific (of course) and no word on when it happened but he's playing through.

I'm almost embarrassed at all the hate I see for him from Seattle fans. I understand the irony of the comparative stats with his back up and us wanting Denver to have all the bad luck in the world due to our owning their top draft picks the next couple years, but IMO it's gotten ridiculous.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:16 am

He and some of the other pieces of the Offense didn't play in the pre-season and it set them back. You could see in the first game it was a real mess so the first 3 games
are really the action they should have seen before the real season started. Their HC made a few boneheaded decisions as well which doesn't help.
As far as his shoulder goes, who knows how bad it is. Maybe his "Magic Water" will get him healed in no time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:39 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Russ is also playing with an "injured" right shoulder, nothing specific (of course) and no word on when it happened but he's playing through.

It happened last Sunday vs. the Raiders:

Denver Broncos quarterback Russell Wilson was a limited walkthrough participant Monday due to a right (throwing) shoulder injury he sustained in last week's loss to the Raiders.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/rus ... tus-update

The danger here is if he plays tonight, does poorly and the team loses, there'll be comparisons to his early return from his broken finger last season when it was obvious that he hurt the team's chances, but if he sits and the team wins, they'll be rumblings of a QB controversy, and losing even without Russell will only fan the flames. The only scenario where Russell improves his relationship with his fan base is for him to play, put up a 400 yard, 5 TD game, and for the Broncos to blow out the Colts by 3 TD's.

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm almost embarrassed at all the hate I see for him from Seattle fans. I understand the irony of the comparative stats with his back up and us wanting Denver to have all the bad luck in the world due to our owning their top draft picks the next couple years, but IMO it's gotten ridiculous.

I hear ya and it's not my style, but on the other hand, it was to be expected, especially after Russell made his statements about wanting to play here the rest of his career then a few weeks later, waives his no trade clause. I'm not going to go as far as HT has and claim that it's a majority of Hawk fans, but it's a very large vocal minority that makes it seem like it.
Last edited by RiverDog on Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:45 am

NorthHawk wrote:He and some of the other pieces of the Offense didn't play in the pre-season and it set them back. You could see in the first game it was a real mess so the first 3 games
are really the action they should have seen before the real season started. Their HC made a few boneheaded decisions as well which doesn't help.
As far as his shoulder goes, who knows how bad it is. Maybe his "Magic Water" will get him healed in no time.

Yeah, and now some of the Bronco fans are saying that it was Russell's decision to sit out the preseason. They're assuming that it's a co-head coach situation, with all the decisions being run through Russell.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:00 am

I’m glad you started this river . Russ made the biggest mistake of his career starting a few years ago when he decided to take on the coach instead of being the player and refining his craft instead of rat ball no matter who the OC. Seattle has replaced him for a tenth of his salary with a guy who is outplaying him by a mile adding to his humiliation .

He’s hurting his HOF chances this is such a disaster. Reading the stats in Denver was interesting . He’s throwing inside more than he was here but that whole thing looks like a mess . Wait till they see Mahomes twice , Herbert . Russ looks like a middle of the pack hack . Hackett is the biggest lightweight I’ve ever seen . I called it . I don’t root for injury on him but even my wife who adored him let’s out an evil chuckle when he gets hit . It’s sports emotion . Not rational . I have no sympathy for Russel Wilson or his sleazy agent who swindled the incredibly naive Denver brass into signing a mega deal without a test drive . I’ve been pretty correct about how this was gonna go down and I’m sticking with it . The pick we get from Denver will be better than ours . Beyond that I predicted he would be benched within a couple of years . It might not take that long . There’s a Rypien kid raring to go .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:43 am

NorthHawk wrote:He and some of the other pieces of the Offense didn't play in the pre-season and it set them back. You could see in the first game it was a real mess so the first 3 games

“ RD”
Yeah, and now some of the Bronco fans are saying that it was Russell's decision to sit out the preseason. They're assuming that it's a co-head coach situation, with all the decisions being run through Russell.[/quote]

Hackett was asked what type of offense he was going to run “ whatever Russ wants “
It’s reported he was fully involved with running practices etc . Many including me and analysts were astounded a guy in a new system with a new team was not playing preseason . He could have if he wanted . Kinda like the 64 yarder he looked pretty content on the sideline .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:30 am

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, and now some of the Bronco fans are saying that it was Russell's decision to sit out the preseason. They're assuming that it's a co-head coach situation, with all the decisions being run through Russell.

Hawktawk wrote:Hackett was asked what type of offense he was going to run “ whatever Russ wants “
It’s reported he was fully involved with running practices etc . Many including me and analysts were astounded a guy in a new system with a new team was not playing preseason . He could have if he wanted . Kinda like the 64 yarder he looked pretty content on the sideline .

Running the starting QB's offense and giving him decision making authority in other areas, such as when to kick a FG vs. punting are two different things, and I'd be stunned if the latter were the case. But the narrative is definitely out there, that it's a tail wagging the dog situation.

Russell's honeymoon with the Denver fans is dangerously close to being over. The Broncos fans haven't seen the Russell that won a Lombardi and nearly took home a second as we have here in Seattle, so they won't be cutting him near the amount of slack that we did here.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:46 am

RiverDog wrote:
Russell's honeymoon with the Denver fans is dangerously close to being over. The Broncos fans haven't seen the Russell that won a Lombardi and nearly took home a second as we have here in Seattle, so they won't be cutting him near the amount of slack that we did here.

No it’s over . I said he would be idolized till his first bad game . As you say there’s no track record of goodwill . He was booed by halftime of his first start . He’s being roasted by fans in social media . Of course if he goes vintage Russ and rips off 5 or 6 he will be fine . If he and they keep looking like pretenders it’s gonna get ugly fast .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:26 pm

I did research on Denver and their head coach after Russell was traded and came to the conclusion they aren't that good. My feeling is as much as Russ talks about winning Super Bowls, it's mostly just talk. If you looked at Denver and thought you were going to win Super Bowls with that team, not sure what you were seeing. All I saw was two good RBs and now I'm finding out Melvin Gordon isn't well-received by Denver fans because he has fumbleitis. Fangio left so I expected their defense to fall off, which it seems they are starting to fall off. Listening to the Denver head coach was nothing like listening to Pete when he arrived. Nathaniel Hackett was going to get by "Letting his great players be great." That's not how you coach. When Pete first arrived, he had a plan for everything from building the team to schemes to how he structures practice and preparation. Mike Holmgren had the same kind of plan. We all know coaches like Bill B and Andy Reid operate the same way. Not Nathaniel Hackett. He was just gonna let his hot players be hot. Sorry, that don't work in the NFL. You need to have a comprehensive idea of how to build and manage an NFL team to be a top coach in the NFL. I knew Denver was going to have problems and they do.

My feeling is Hackett is one and done. Management is already watching the first year of their important investment go down the tubes with Seattle smiling watching it happen. I see Sean Payton starting to voice some ideas about how to manage Russ in Denver. If Denver ownership can lure Sean Payton out of retirement, no better coach than Payton to work with Russ as he coached up Russ's idol Drew Brees.

And for a coach like Payton Denver don't look too bad. Good defense in place. Good running back in place if Javonte can make it back. QB in place he can use better than Hackett. I think we might see Sean Payton in Denver next year.

But this year the luck of the NFL gods may be with us as Hackett, Russ, and Denver crash and burn giving us a nice top 5 pick. I guess we'll see tonight. To me this Colts game is a sort of tipping point game. If they lose to the Colts, they got five more games against their division rivals who are going to feast on them.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:18 pm

I’m 100% on this . They cannot lose to Indy with Jonathan Taylor out or it’s brutal although somehow Indy beat KC. It’s a wide open weird year so far .

I know this . Playing for Pete Carroll last year Russ had 10 TDs and no picks after 4 games but still a 2-2 record . Maybe it was Pete that knew what was the best way to deploy Russ. Hackett is a joke . As recently as a week ago I heard him talking about having to do whatever is necessary to “ make Russ comfortable “. If I was the head coach nobody on the team would be comfortable.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:54 pm

No one on Denver should feel comfortable. I expect more from Russ myself. His timing with his receivers is off. That isn't very Russ-like to me.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:22 pm

This Denver-Colts game is the NFL equivalent of watching paint dry. They are both so bad.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:27 pm

Wilson essentially forced overtime by throwing a pick in the red zone. Horribly thrown ball behind the receiver and an easy pick for the CB in the end zone. His game just looks so off.

Not rooting for him to fail, and I certainly don’t hate him, but he looks awful. Not doing anything to suggest the Seahawks made the wrong move.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:31 pm

This is like watching a polar opposite of the Seattle-Detroit game with two offenses so terrible that you feel like they should both lose.

I want one pick six by Russ or Matt Ryan to summon up one last last drive for a TD in OT.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:32 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Wilson essentially forced overtime by throwing a pick in the red zone. Horribly thrown ball behind the receiver and an easy pick for the CB in the end zone. His game just looks so off.

Not rooting for him to fail, and I certainly don’t hate him, but he looks awful. Not doing anything to suggest the Seahawks made the wrong move.

Our two tackles and Tariq Woolen indicate it was a good move.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:41 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Our two tackles and Tariq Woolen indicate it was a good move.

For sure; they make the trade worth it even if Wilson does well in Denver. Just saying Wilson is, so far, tipping the scales further the Seahawks direction.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:46 pm

Hell, yeah. Denver loses. 2 and 3. They look terrible.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:46 pm

Hackett is ridiculous. Kick the FG to tie. Give yourself a chance to get it back.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:47 pm

I look forward to two games a week now. The Seahawks and the Broncos losing. Any team playing the Broncos I am a fan of this year.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:51 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Hackett is ridiculous. Kick the FG to tie. Give yourself a chance to get it back.

Yep. The guy doesn't have a clue. Throwing across the middle of a congested field when all you needed was a yard? Was that the reincarnation of Darrell Bevell that we just saw?

I don't have a problem with going for it in that situation, but my Lord, why in the hell is he putting Russell in the gun and allowing the defense to ignore the threat of a run?

But I loved it. I let out a big holler out on my deck when that ball dropped harmlessly to the ground. I wonder what the neighbors thought.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:04 pm

RiverDog wrote:Yep. The guy doesn't have a clue. Throwing across the middle of a congested field when all you needed was a yard? Was that the reincarnation of Darrell Bevell that we just saw?

I don't have a problem with going for it in that situation, but my Lord, why in the hell is he putting Russell in the gun and allowing the defense to ignore the threat of a run?

But I loved it. I let out a big holler out on my deck when that ball dropped harmlessly to the ground. I wonder what the neighbors thought.

In the post game coverage, Sherman was not pulling punches about the call. Reminded him a little too much of a certain situation in a certain game some years ago. Gonzales wasn’t mean, but he pointed out that Wilson has to do better than this if he’s what he claims he is especially for the money.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:10 pm

Russell wants to be the man, you got to play like the man or take the criticism. That's how it works. If his best years are behind him and he helps us get a better pick, then even better. Russ will be remembered as the QB who gave Seattle his best years, won us a Super Bowl, and provided us the draft capital for a great rebuild. Gotta love him all the more. The gift that keeps on giving.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:13 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Russell wants to be the man, you got to play like the man or take the criticism. That's how it works. If his best years are behind him and he helps us get a better pick, then even better. Russ will be remembered as the QB who gave Seattle his best years, won us a Super Bowl, and provided us the draft capital for a great rebuild. Gotta love him all the more. The gift that keeps on giving.

Sherman’s post game analysis was legendary. It brought back a lot of PTSD from 49, which I’m still not recovered from. Clearly he literally said it all. Wow, talk about shade. I think this might go down as the best trade in Seattle sports history. Russell is cooked.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:15 pm

Richard Sherman is making Hawktawk's criticism of Russell look kind. And he's on national television going after Russ like he has a grudge.

We want a nice top five pick in the first and second round from Denver.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:39 pm

Sorry to be right . Not
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:40 pm

Russell's honeymoon with the Denver fans is dangerously close to being over.

Wrong. The honeymoon is long gone. I’ve never seen as many disgusted fans on TV as tonight. Did any of you see Sherm on the field doing post game analysis? He was having PTSD flashbacks watching Denver squander 4th and 1 twice that would have iced the game had they just ran for 1 or 2 yards.

Just like HT is being proved right on Geno, he’s also being proved right about Russ.

I’ve been annoyed by Russ ever since he complained about his O line publicly (a huge no no), and his ridiculous agent leaked the trade list…and now I just feel sorry for him. His post game press con was pathetic, too, spewing his usual positive talk that sounds completely meaningless. I hope I’m wrong this time, but he looks like a man on the abyss.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:40 am

Russell's honeymoon with the Denver fans is dangerously close to being over.

I-5 wrote:Wrong. The honeymoon is long gone. I’ve never seen as many disgusted fans on TV as tonight. Did any of you see Sherm on the field doing post game analysis? He was having PTSD flashbacks watching Denver squander 4th and 1 twice that would have iced the game had they just ran for 1 or 2 yards.

Just like HT is being proved right on Geno, he’s also being proved right about Russ.

I’ve been annoyed by Russ ever since he complained about his O line publicly (a huge no no), and his ridiculous agent leaked the trade list…and now I just feel sorry for him. His post game press con was pathetic, too, spewing his usual positive talk that sounds completely meaningless. I hope I’m wrong this time, but he looks like a man on the abyss.

Agreed about the honeymoon being over in Denver. Fans were heading up the stairs in droves when the game went into overtime. Even the announcers picked up on how ugly that game was. From the perspective of a Colts fan, at least they didn't give up 5 draft picks and 3 players for their underperforming quarterback and didn't have their expectations jacked up by all the media hype. They expected Russell to turn their fortunes around like Peyton Manning did a decade earlier.

I have held the position that Russell's skills have diminished and that he's going to have to change his style of play if he's going to be successful, so at least to some degree, my take is pretty close to the mark, too, at least at this point of the season. I just haven't been as flamboyant about it. I also felt that Denver was vastly overrated, that they weren't better than their 7-10 team from last season given the division they're in.

But enough about who's right and who's wrong. I had a hard time believing that on 4th and one that Hackett, Russell, or whoever is calling the shots would put him in the gun and allow the defense to concentrate mostly on defending a pass, and Russell trying to fit a pass into a very tight window in a compressed field with the game on the line.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:25 am

RiverDog wrote:Agreed about the honeymoon being over in Denver. Fans were heading up the stairs in droves when the game went into overtime. Even the announcers picked up on how ugly that game was. From the perspective of a Colts fan, at least they didn't give up 5 draft picks and 3 players for their underperforming quarterback and didn't have their expectations jacked up by all the media hype. They expected Russell to turn their fortunes around like Peyton Manning did a decade earlier.

I have held the position that Russell's skills have diminished and that he's going to have to change his style of play if he's going to be successful, so at least to some degree, my take is pretty close to the mark, too, at least at this point of the season. I just haven't been as flamboyant about it. I also felt that Denver was vastly overrated, that they weren't better than their 7-10 team from last season given the division they're in.

But enough about who's right and who's wrong. I had a hard time believing that on 4th and one that Hackett, Russell, or whoever is calling the shots would put him in the gun and allow the defense to concentrate mostly on defending a pass, and Russell trying to fit a pass into a very tight window in a compressed field with the game on the line.

I think the coaching is the primary reason Denver is losing. Hackett doesn't know how to manage a team or adjust when things aren't going right. I think Hackett will be gone by the end of the year, possibly sooner. I do believe there is a very real possibility Sean Payton takes over in Denver. I heard he has the itch to return to coaching. Denver has a very attractive team that just needs a quality coach to get things moving in the right direction. But we'll see in time.

Right now I root every week for Denver to lose. My buddy thinks Denver is still a 7 to 8 win team and that my dream of a top five pick won't happen. But I will still dream of that pick and wish for it to happen rooting against Denver every week.

Russell being bad every week is great for us.

We need high draft picks to fix this terrible defense. For a 3-4, you gotta have at least one stud on the D-line and one outside LB that is great.

Right and wrong or whatever people feel someone is right or wrong about won't be settled in five games this year or even a year. Fact is Russ being traded could well just be a signal that the Seahawks are in for a long period of mediocrity and Russell is also done and the Pete Carroll and his coaching staff are on their way out too.

To me Carroll is sucking just as bad as Russ because he's a defensive head coach with a second to last place defense. That's just as bad as Russ playing like garbage in Denver as far as I'm concerned. If this defense doesn't get moving in the right direction, Carroll will be looking just as cooked as Russell.

i would say all those wanting Russ gone may be right. And all those wanting Carroll gone may also be right. The reality may just be that the Seahawks contending time with Carroll is over and it's time to get rid of the last piece of the glory era: the head coach and start a true rebuild with a new head coach and management team. But that won't be completely decided for at least this year and probably next.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:07 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:I think the coaching is the primary reason Denver is losing. Hackett doesn't know how to manage a team or adjust when things aren't going right. I think Hackett will be gone by the end of the year, possibly sooner. I do believe there is a very real possibility Sean Payton takes over in Denver. I heard he has the itch to return to coaching. Denver has a very attractive team that just needs a quality coach to get things moving in the right direction. But we'll see in time.

Right now I root every week for Denver to lose. My buddy thinks Denver is still a 7 to 8 win team and that my dream of a top five pick won't happen. But I will still dream of that pick and wish for it to happen rooting against Denver every week.

Russell being bad every week is great for us.

We need high draft picks to fix this terrible defense. For a 3-4, you gotta have at least one stud on the D-line and one outside LB that is great.

Right and wrong or whatever people feel someone is right or wrong about won't be settled in five games this year or even a year. Fact is Russ being traded could well just be a signal that the Seahawks are in for a long period of mediocrity and Russell is also done and the Pete Carroll and his coaching staff are on their way out too.

To me Carroll is sucking just as bad as Russ because he's a defensive head coach with a second to last place defense. That's just as bad as Russ playing like garbage in Denver as far as I'm concerned. If this defense doesn't get moving in the right direction, Carroll will be looking just as cooked as Russell.

i would say all those wanting Russ gone may be right. And all those wanting Carroll gone may also be right. The reality may just be that the Seahawks contending time with Carroll is over and it's time to get rid of the last piece of the glory era: the head coach and start a true rebuild with a new head coach and management team. But that won't be completely decided for at least this year and probably next.

I agree with most of that. Denver's primary problem is coaching/structure, and as such, is fixable. But they'd better get their chit together pretty soon as they won't be facing anemic offenses like they have with the Colts, Niners, and Texans. Next up are the Chargers, with one of the more dynamic young quarterbacks and an offense ranked 7th in the league.

I really don't care about who's right or who's wrong about Russell and/or Pete. Both are sucking.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:28 am

Russ is cooked…..
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:12 am

Elway ready to blow a fuse
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:23 am

Wilson sucked. He missed a number of open targets and didn't see open receivers near the end zone.
In the end, it's one more game to a better draft pick.

There's also talk about replacing Hackett as the team just isn't ready to play. Who knows how much patience the new owners have at this point.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:18 am

NorthHawk wrote:Wilson sucked. He missed a number of open targets and didn't see open receivers near the end zone.
In the end, it's one more game to a better draft pick.

There's also talk about replacing Hackett as the team just isn't ready to play. Who knows how much patience the new owners have at this point.

It's not just failing to see the open receivers; it's trying to jam the ball into receivers that were well covered. On 3rd and 4 from the Colt's 13 with just over 2 minutes in regulation, Russell should have never tried to force that ball in there like he did. Put it where only his guy can catch it and if they miss, they still have a chip shot FG to take the lead. Same thing in OT. He wasn't under any pressure and didn't have to throw to that receiver. He had time to go somewhere else or scramble around. All he needed was a yard. Horrible decision making.

At this rate, Hackett won't last the season. Social media is on fire this morning, and Hackett is more of a target than Russell is even though IMO they are both equally to blame. Denver is a proud franchise with a very dedicated fan base and the new owners aren't in a position to defend a head coach that is obviously in over his head. They're going to listen to what their fans are telling them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:44 am

Russell said 2 off seasons ago that he’s tired of getting hit so much . It’s how he plays now . Eyes down on the rush when he used to never take his eyes off the field . Bailing on hot reads rather than get hit in the mouth (a huge difference from Geno ) I don’t think he reads the field too well these days and his accuracy is shot . I’m not sure his finger is completely right or ever will be because his loss of accuracy is shocking . It’s not about who is right or wrong . It’s about the facts . I said John swindled Denver and it’s looking like he did. Then Mark Rodgers swindled the Walton’s and I mean grand larceny . And people say Jodi is a naive owner . But no tears for Russ , he got paid and that seemed to be all that matters based on mr no time for sleeps off-season and preseason on a new team . Not surprised at all .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:16 am

Hawktawk wrote:Russell said 2 off seasons ago that he’s tired of getting hit so much . It’s how he plays now . Eyes down on the rush when he used to never take his eyes off the field . Bailing on hot reads rather than get hit in the mouth (a huge difference from Geno ) I don’t think he reads the field too well these days and his accuracy is shot . I’m not sure his finger is completely right or ever will be because his loss of accuracy is shocking . It’s not about who is right or wrong . It’s about the facts . I said John swindled Denver and it’s looking like he did. Then Mark Rodgers swindled the Walton’s and I mean grand larceny . And people say Jodi is a naive owner . But no tears for Russ , he got paid and that seemed to be all that matters based on mr no time for sleeps off-season and preseason on a new team . Not surprised at all .

We made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years with Russell Wilson so dont tell me we are better off without him. We got a 4th place roster and Geno Smith at QB. Was I wrong yes, we will win more than 4 games this year but we are a long ways from being a contender again. We lost to the Atlanta at home, got blown out by the Niners, and we will lose to the Saints on Sunday. Have I been drug kicking and screaming to the River point of view that Russ regressed, absolutely. However, the only thing that may save our bacon against the Rams and other teams, are the cartload of injuries that they are suffering. Our Defense is mutt food, and the whole Jamal Adams trade is a bust. It makes me puke to see Sherman almost cheering every time RW blows up. I love Russ and always will, and people can blame him but most of the move was not his fault!
obiken
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:50 am

t's not just failing to see the open receivers; it's trying to jam the ball into receivers that were well covered. On 3rd and 4 from the Colt's 13 with just over 2 minutes in regulation, Russell should have never tried to force that ball in there like he did. Put it where only his guy can catch it and if they miss, they still have a chip shot FG to take the lead. Same thing in OT. He wasn't under any pressure and didn't have to throw to that receiver. He had time to go somewhere else or scramble around. All he needed was a yard. Horrible decision making.

That play was beffudling, but it still wasn't the worst in a game of miserable plays. The worst was the final play of the game, 4th and 1 in OT, and instead of running for a first and a new set of downs to score, he fires into traffic in the end zone at the former DPOTY....WHYYYYYYY would you do that??
I-5
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:57 am

Apparently KJ Hamler was wide open near the goal line, but Wilson tried to play hero ball instead.
It's baffling why he didn't scan the field when that alarm went off in his head to get rid of the ball. Hamler claims he could have walked in for the TD.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:02 am

Hawktawk wrote:Russell said 2 off seasons ago that he’s tired of getting hit so much . It’s how he plays now . Eyes down on the rush when he used to never take his eyes off the field . Bailing on hot reads rather than get hit in the mouth (a huge difference from Geno ) I don’t think he reads the field too well these days and his accuracy is shot . I’m not sure his finger is completely right or ever will be because his loss of accuracy is shocking . It’s not about who is right or wrong . It’s about the facts . I said John swindled Denver and it’s looking like he did. Then Mark Rodgers swindled the Walton’s and I mean grand larceny . And people say Jodi is a naive owner . But no tears for Russ , he got paid and that seemed to be all that matters based on mr no time for sleeps off-season and preseason on a new team . Not surprised at all .

obiken wrote:We made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years with Russell Wilson so dont tell me we are better off without him. We got a 4th place roster and Geno Smith at QB. Was I wrong yes, we will win more than 4 games this year but we are a long ways from being a contender again. We lost to the Atlanta at home, got blown out by the Niners, and we will lose to the Saints on Sunday. Have I been drug kicking and screaming to the River point of view that Russ regressed, absolutely. However, the only thing that may save our bacon against the Rams and other teams, are the cartload of injuries that they are suffering. Our Defense is mutt food, and the whole Jamal Adams trade is a bust. It makes me puke to see Sherman almost cheering every time RW blows up. I love Russ and always will, and people can blame him but most of the move was not his fault!

I don't agree that "most of the move was not his (Russell's) fault". He had a no trade clause in his contract. The way he so enthusiastically embraced his new team almost from the minute the trade was announced tells me that he was the primary motivator in the trade. He was happier than a three peckered billy goat in a herd of sheep to be getting out of Seattle.

I'm 50/50 on whether or not we are better off in the long run W/O Russell. My position before the season started was that even though Russell's performance had been diminishing over the past couple of years, that under the right coach, he could adjust his game and fix the problems that was holding him and the team back, which is why I wanted Pete gone as I saw nothing but continued mediocrity by maintaining the status quo. Now, I'm not so sure. It's still early, but I'm being led to the conclusion that Russell could be irrevocably broken.

One thing that I am shoulder-to-shoulder with HT on is that I am not shedding a single tear for Russell. It's one of those "be careful what you wish for: You might get it!" I honestly couldn't give a rip if he makes the HOF or not. He's already filthy rich and has lived a life the rest of us can only dream of, and if he's wearing a gold jacket someday, then that's fine. If not, that's OK, too.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:11 am

Obi
Russ spent 2 years pressuring Seattle to trade him . The trade happened because he wanted out . He had a no trade clause .
As for being better off without him we unquestionably are . Geno is lapping him statistically in every category and our offense is statistically better than it was a year ago . It’s a fact . I was right . Addition by subtraction . You’re an awesome fan obi but the Russ we ALL loved left long before this trade he demanded to the #1 team on he and his sleazy agents list . I have no sympathy . I’m glad as hell he’s gone . Good luck Denver . You deal with his BS now .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum