Golden Tate Signs With The Lions

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Golden Tate Signs With The Lions

Postby savvyman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:40 pm

savvyman
Legacy

Re: Golden Tate Signs With The Lions

Postby kalibane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 pm

This is another guy that I probably like better than most people here. I really didn't want to lose him but the numbers they were talking about were not worth it. Really kind of bummed about this one.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:55 pm

Too bad.
We will really need help at WR and in punt/kick returns now.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawk Sista » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:58 pm

:cry:

Bummer! Thank you, GT. Good luck.
Hawk Sista
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 pm

I think Golden is a very useful player and would have been worth 5 mil/year to the Seahawks, for his ability to make plays, his blocking, and his returning. Now we need Kearse and Lockette to keep developing (Lockette moreso), and Percy better stay healthy. This is a loss for the Seahawks until someone proves themselves in training camp.
I-5
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:02 pm

From the horses mouth:

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeTate/status ... 3148352512

$31 million - 5 Years - $13 million guaranteed.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:14 pm

I mean I guess they needed a bigger WR anyway but still bummed. Problem is I don't think that Mike Adams is going to last through the first round in the draft and the other guy I like (Odell Beckham), isn't exactly huge himself.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Well damn. This is easily the biggest bummer of the offseason (yet) for me ... I really liked Tate.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Tate had really grown on me, but he's just worth more to the Lions opposite Megatron, than he is to us.
The place we'll miss him most is on punt returns.
Still, we have Harvin back and healthy, we have Baldwin, another shortish RAC guy isn't what we need...we need a Mike Williams clone, and I think they will try to get one in the draft.
If not, Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, and whoever can win that fourth receiver spot, (maybe the new guy from the CFL?) will get the job done.
Adding a big body like Finley to play the joker role in two TE sets would be a big deal too.
I know this, we're not done in free agency by a long ways yet.
monkey
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:39 pm

No I've not sweated FA at all. Schenider and Carroll have always been patient and not overspending. I just wanted to keep "our own" so to speak. Oh well I suppose that's some extra money they can also put towards making sure they can keep Thomas and Sherm.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Horrible news. Tate is the beast mode of the receivers with his YAC , brings a surly attitude, and is a great blocker to boot. Ask Sean Lee. Oh yeah and one of the top punt return guys in the league. Horrible.I definitely don't understand this one.It really never seemed like the FO gave a damn about him.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby kalibane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:44 pm

You can't spend 6 million a year on a 2nd WR in a run first offense. Especially when the Seahawks have 3 guys who aren't especially suited for the outside and lack a truly consistant bid bodied guy.

I understand it's just still a bummer. I loved his tenacity and ball skills. He's always reminded me of an unfinished Steve Smith, without the sucker punching thing.
kalibane
Legacy

Postby savvyman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Tate leaving Puts all the pressure on Harvin - Because if there is a repeat of last season again this season then fans will get real ugly about losing Tate to pay Harvin's salary.

Best of luck to Golden Tate he really grew up last season and made many big plays on the road to the Superbowl.

Actually if you look at the big Picture the free agency period is playing out exactly like what was forecast (Rice, Clemons, Bryant getting cut as Cap casualties) and the Hawks not being able to resign Golden Tate because some other team would make him a #1 receiver offer - and compounding the difficulty in bringing Tate back is our receiving corp salaries are tied up in Harvin's contract AND we have two other receivers who are similar in size and speed to Tate.
Last edited by savvyman on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savvyman
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 pm

I hear ya Kal.
He has a bit of an edge to his game which I like.
Agreed about the run first Offense thing. WRs like to get thrown to so along with the money, he will get a lot of chances from Stafford, so good luck to him.

On another note, Detroit has a ton of money tied up in Suh, Johnson, Stafford, and now Tate should put them around or over 40% of their allotted cap for 4 players.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby THX-1138 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Tate was a favorite of mine too. The guy had a chip on his shoulder.

But to be realistic about it, he wasn't a #1 receiver. My suspicion is PC and JS have a free agent card up their sleeve to replace Tate with. I don't think they are going to rely on Percy to be a #1, and I don't think that Baldwin, Kearse, or Lockette are going to be put in that role. The draft is too unpredictable with where talent is going to land when it's your turn to pick. So I'm predicting a #1 type receiver to be picked up in FA. I have a lot of faith in our FO when it comes to this sort of thing.

I just for the life of me can't figure who that #1 is.
THX-1138
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Well they just signed Taylor Price (who?) - ex Patriot.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby yoder » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:00 pm

THX-1138 wrote:Tate was a favorite of mine too. The guy had a chip on his shoulder.

But to be realistic about it, he wasn't a #1 receiver. My suspicion is PC and JS have a free agent card up their sleeve to replace Tate with. I don't think they are going to rely on Percy to be a #1, and I don't think that Baldwin, Kearse, or Lockette are going to be put in that role. The draft is too unpredictable with where talent is going to land when it's your turn to pick. So I'm predicting a #1 type receiver to be picked up in FA. I have a lot of faith in our FO when it comes to this sort of thing.

I just for the life of me can't figure who that #1 is.

I agree THX, he wasn't #1...yet he showed up in key situations. Harvin could be "that guy" but I'm obviously reluctant. One more injury and I'm throwing in the towel.

However, the front office has showed that they know what they're doing...via scouting/draft/trade/free agents/whatever/etc.

This system took us to the SuperBowl and it worked. I'd like to think they have a plan regarding WR. I trust them...and the agenda.
yoder
Site Admin

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 pm

It is sort of funny in retrospect, so many fans were "high" on Tate after he said he would stay for less, and "down" on Bennett for his Costco comment.
Now look, we actually got the Costco discount from the guy who said he wasn't giving one, and the guy who said he would take less, rather than go play for a loser, is playing for the EPITOME of loser franchises.

This is why until things are all said and done, never ever read too much into what is said during free agency, and never ever let what is said good or bad, even by the players themselves, color your opinion.
monkey
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:16 pm

When Chumley said "everybody lies this time of year" he wasn't just talking about management.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:19 pm

To be fair Tate used the word "slight" before discount, over a million dollars, and an extra year, doesn't denote "slight" Seattle it is reported wouldn't go above 5 million and 4 years. Tate did what was right for him, never going to knock the man for doing it. I'm sure the opportunity to actually have more than 3-5 balls thrown his way each game also factored into it, I mean receivers in general like to catch the football, something that isn't the current plan in Seattle.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:51 pm

Did anyone else besides me find it ironic how the guy that said "this isn't Costco" gave us a home town discount and the guy that said he'd give us a home town discount opted for the bigger paycheck? I guess coaches aren't the only ones in the NFL that engage in double talk.

I don't think we'll miss Tate all that much. IMO the biggest part of his game we'll miss will be his punt returns. What it does mean is that Percy Harvin is going to have to suck it up and make us forget all about Golden Tate.

Note: I was going to compliment Tate about his sure handedness until I remembered him fumbling the onsides kick in the playoff game vs. the Saints.

Additional note: I see monkey expressed a similar sentiment to my "home town discount" remark. What's that saying about brilliant minds thinking alike?... lol.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 pm

HumanCockroach wrote:To be fair Tate used the word "slight" before discount,

I agree, and what I said was NOT a knock against Tate at all! I am a free market guy after all, and I am all for players maximizing their earning potential while they can. They have an awfully small window of opportunity to do so, as the average NFL career is something like three and a half seasons, or some ridiculous number like that.
I don't get all caught up in feeling bad when players leave, or feeling like they were disloyal. Loyalty has nothing to do with it, because neither players nor management are loyal when it comes down to money...and why should they be?
Tate made a move that won't get him any more rings (of course he already has one anyway), but WILL get him some nice cashola and real notoriety playing opposite Megatron.
From a statistical standpoint, how could anyone fault a receiver for wanting to go play on a team that throws the ball as much as the Lions do, and has a receiver as great as Calvin Johnson to play with?
Not me, I think what he did makes a ton of sense! Next year fantasy football players are going to be drooling over what his numbers will look like in that offense.
Really, he's the perfect compliment to Megatron, he'll fit like a glove there. I'm just surprised that Detroit was smart enough to do it.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:06 pm

I liked Tate as well - and he will be missed - but considering the contract he got in Detroit, there was no way he was gonna stay.

Not matching that offer, along with cutting Clemons, frees up yet more money to bring in other players and offset those losses. Our F.O. is among the best in the league, and the hunch here is that they have a plan in place to put the Seahawks in the best position possible to repeat.

They've certainly earned the benefit of the doubt, IMO, and I anticipate us still remaining a top contender to bring home another Lombardi.
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Zorn76 wrote:I liked Tate as well - and he will be missed - but considering the contract he got in Detroit, there was no way he was gonna stay.

Not matching that offer, along with cutting Clemons, frees up yet more money to bring in other players and offset those losses. Our F.O. is among the best in the league, and the hunch here is that they have a plan in place to put the Seahawks in the best position possible to repeat.

They've certainly earned the benefit of the doubt, IMO, and I anticipate us still remaining a top contender to bring home another Lombardi.

Hear hear! :D
Well said.
monkey
Legacy

Postby Zorn76 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:16 pm

monkey wrote:
Zorn76 wrote:I liked Tate as well - and he will be missed - but considering the contract he got in Detroit, there was no way he was gonna stay.

Hear hear! :D
Well said.

Sometimes, the company line is appropriate:)
Zorn76
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Tates sure handedness is a statistical fact. Best in the NFL over the last three seasons ( 144 of 149 opportunities) , not sure a single onside kick recovery can out weigh that. There is a hole to fill, in multiple areas, but as Zorn said, I am sure Seattle didn't go into this situation without a plan, and won't be caught with their pants down....

Not sure there is a guy that can immediately replace the different facets Tate brought to this team, just don't see that guy out there in either the FA market, or the draft ( at least with where the Hawks are going to be drafting). Hopefully they can find another diamond in the rough, but even then it takes time.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Tate was the biggest factor in 2 division wins last year, both vs the Rams. His 80 YD wave bye bye TD was the only big play of the game on offense for Seattle in St Lois. And he was out of his mind in the regular season finale, even though the Rams were targeting him with repeated knockout blows. He is one tough mofo and I hate this more than anything Seattle related in a long time. Detroit is a classic underachieving team but they signed a winner who will help them turn it around.

All that being said we have an ace in the hole. His name is Russel Wilson. Great QBs make mediocre receivers good and good receivers great.

Still its a loss that makes my heart hurt, he was on of my favorite guys on the team.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Don't blame Tate for taking that $. I liked Tate but not at 6 mil/yr and really not at 5 mil/yr either. IMO this increases our opportunity to sign Baldwin who I like better. Don't get me wrong I really like Tate and like what he did this year but IMO he is not essential to our offense with a healthy Harvin and the emergence of Kearse. I would like us to sign a guy like Nicks, James Jones, Sanders or even Britt on a lower cost contract.

This looks even more like the Lions overpaid for Tate with the news of Decker's contract. Basically the Jets only paid him 1 mil more a year than Tate and only 2 mil more guaranteed. Although I do think Tate will have a better statistical season next year (imaging catching passes from Peyton Manning for two years and then going to the Jets and catching passes from Geno Smith). It will be crazy to see how much his numbers drop next year.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby briwas101 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:41 pm

I don't blame Tate for taking the money, and I don't blame the FO for not wanting to match it.

What I have a problem with is that the Hawks continue to back themselves into a corner when it comes to WR.

To the person that said there will/may be a revolt if Tate does well in Detroit and Harvin is injured again, that isn't an exaggeration. The Hawks would save $11m over the next 2 years if they cut Harvin today (compared to keeping in 2014 and then cutting).

That $11m would pay for 2 seasons of Tate because I'm pretty sure he would stick around for $5.5m.

Would I want to pay him that much? No i wouldn't. But when it comes down to a Tate vs Harvin situation then I certainly see it as the wiser option.

And to the people saying "we get a healthy Harvin back in 2014" my only question is this: if you thought the Hawks were getting a healthy Harvin in 2013 when we traded for him and it failed then what makes you think we get a "healthy Harvin" just because he played 1 game without suffering ANOTHER injury?

If the Hawks go into 2014 expecting Harvin to be our best WR then we will not repeat as champs. We need someone who can stay healthy. We need someone who makes the most of his opportunities and catches everything thrown his way. Basically what we need is just a Golden Tate. I sure hope they find one to replace the one we lost.
briwas101
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:02 am

To play along side the best receiver in the league? CJ? And get money too?

Never turn that down. I hope the Lions win the SB during those five years but I doubt it. They haven't won the SB since the 50's if I am not mistaken.

He needed to get paid, and I don't blame him.

And I HATE MICHIGAN. Flint, Detroit, Lansing, you can have it. I am sure people are great. Just not my cup of tea, too violent as of late.
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:40 am

HumanCockroach wrote:Tates sure handedness is a statistical fact. Best in the NFL over the last three seasons ( 144 of 149 opportunities) , not sure a single onside kick recovery can out weigh that. There is a hole to fill, in multiple areas, but as Zorn said, I am sure Seattle didn't go into this situation without a plan, and won't be caught with their pants down....

Not sure there is a guy that can immediately replace the different facets Tate brought to this team, just don't see that guy out there in either the FA market, or the draft ( at least with where the Hawks are going to be drafting). Hopefully they can find another diamond in the rough, but even then it takes time.

Agreed. One of my personal pet peeves for a punt returner is that he not fumble as they almost always occur inside your own 30 and lead directly to points, and I can't remember Tate having fumbled a punt return during his time with us, and he's returned a lot of punts. It's just that one time in the playoffs sticks out in my mind. Kinda like Bill Buckner getting a bum rap by letting a ground ball go through his legs in the 9th inning of the deciding game of the World Series, ya know?

Although I'm appreciative of Tate's efforts and admit that he was a major reason for our success, I'm not as worried about losing him as I am our other core players. Wide receivers are a dime a dozen, shut down corners and franchise quarterbacks are not.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:06 am

Good, consistent Punt returners are difficult to find as well.
I think we will miss Tate more than we realize today.
If a draft pick replaces him, that pick will have to develop his game quite a bit to be on par with GT. That's just experience because I doubt we are getting an NFL ready WR at #32.
It doesn't mean a first pick of WR won't contribute, rather he won't be clutch at least early in the year.

Maybe they will select a WR that also returns punts so he can develop at WR while still contributing and getting used to the speed of the NFL.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 am

Eaglehawk wrote:To play along side the best receiver in the league? CJ? And get money too?

Never turn that down. I hope the Lions win the SB during those five years but I doubt it. They haven't won the SB since the 50's if I am not mistaken.

And I HATE MICHIGAN. Flint, Detroit, Lansing, you can have it. I am sure people are great. Just not my cup of tea, too violent as of late.

You really hope the Lions win the SB in the next 5 years? The only team that I hope wins is the Hawks. I don't blame him for leaving and I hope he has a good career of injury free football but I don't hope they win a SB.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby HumanCockroach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:07 am

Eaglehawk wrote:To play along side the best receiver in the league? CJ? And get money too?

The Lions have never won the SB, since it wasn't around until the 60's, they won NFL championships in the 50's prior to the merger, but no Lombardi's.

Not with you on rooting for another team to win a sb either.
HumanCockroach
Legacy

Postby Eaglehawk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:31 am

HumanCockroach wrote:

The Lions have never won the SB, since it wasn't around until the 60's, they won NFL championships in the 50's prior to the merger, but no Lombardi's.

Not with you on rooting for another team to win a sb either.

Before you get your panties in a wad HC, I admit my statement was not quite clear because I thought you would assume that I meant, "if we don't make the SB that year" then I would root for the Lions to win the SB. But I see now I need to be clear as a bell with you. ;)
Eaglehawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum