Our Investment In Our Defense Since 2018

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Our Investment In Our Defense Since 2018

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:07 pm

RiverDog wrote:I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that Phil Knight attempted a hostile takeover. That term usually indicates a person or company bypassing a Board of Directors and making offers directly to individual shareholders, which wasn't the case here as the Blazers aren't publicly owned. The only way Knight could become an owner is if Jody decided to sell. In any event, it seems unusual that she wouldn't even speak with one of the richest men in the world and a respected local businessman about a potential sale of the franchise. Even if she wasn't interested, it would only be common courtesy to hear him out, if for nothing else, to get an idea about how much she could get for it in the event she does decide to sell.

I do echo your last sentence. The Allens have a lot of latitude with me, too, at least as it applies to Paul, may he RIP. But as I said earlier, these accounts of his sister's management style contradict what you're saying about her 'deep' involvement with the Seahawks.

Without divulging too much, everything I know of Vulcan Ventures is Paul was in charge. Jody helped him because she was his sister and she ran certain aspects of the operations. But Paul ran the Seahawks and Blazers and he was the decision maker in the organization owning the majority of ownership of Vulcan Ventures.

Paul owned the team for nearly two decades. No one here thought much of Jody Allen for two decades because she wasn't very involved in operations of the sports teams.

I have a real hard time believing Paul did not have a clear contract with Seattle to keep the team here and ensure Seattle kept the Seahawks. So I'm not real worried as to her selling the Seahawks to an outside buyer. At the same time I am not super confident of her ability to know when to hire a new coach and get results like Paul. Paul knew when Holmgren's time was done. Paul knew Mora wasn't his guy. He was able to lure Carroll to Seattle. Seattle fans had supreme confidence Paul would do what was needed to field a competitive team working towards a Super Bowl. We do not have that confidence in Jody. She has to earn it.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Without divulging too much, everything I know of Vulcan Ventures is Paul was in charge. Jody helped him because she was his sister and she ran certain aspects of the operations. But Paul ran the Seahawks and Blazers and he was the decision maker in the organization owning the majority of ownership of Vulcan Ventures.

Paul owned the team for nearly two decades. No one here thought much of Jody Allen for two decades because she wasn't very involved in operations of the sports teams.

I have a real hard time believing Paul did not have a clear contract with Seattle to keep the team here and ensure Seattle kept the Seahawks. So I'm not real worried as to her selling the Seahawks to an outside buyer. At the same time I am not super confident of her ability to know when to hire a new coach and get results like Paul. Paul knew when Holmgren's time was done. Paul knew Mora wasn't his guy. He was able to lure Carroll to Seattle. Seattle fans had supreme confidence Paul would do what was needed to field a competitive team working towards a Super Bowl. We do not have that confidence in Jody. She has to earn it.

I agree with that. I heard that Jody rarely attended any Blazer games until Paul died and she became the owner, which leads me to believe that she's not that interested in sports.

Jody comes from the same generation as I, so I think I can offer a good perspective on the typical female baby boomer. After all, I'm married to one.

Back when I was growing up, girls were discouraged from participating in sports, mainly by their parents, because it wasn't considered lady-like, and even if they did want to participate, back in the 60's and early 70's, in days before Title IX, there just wasn't the sports programs available for girls. Plus, the NFL and other sporting ventures didn't market their product to women like they do today.

Bottom line is that I think it's fair to assume that football isn't in Jody's blood like it is with of us men and many younger women from the Gen X and Millennial generations that grew up with an interest in it vs. having to get up to speed when you're suddenly thrust into a position where you're the owner of an NFL franchise.

Although none of us know to what degree she's involved in the franchise or how much she participates in the decision making, I think it's a fair assumption that she's likely pretty detached from the decision-making process and relies heavily on the advice of a couple of advisors she trusts. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Although it does help to have an intimate knowledge of a business, it's not a prerequisite for a successful manager.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:02 pm

RiverDog wrote:I agree with that. I heard that Jody rarely attended any Blazer games until Paul died and she became the owner, which leads me to believe that she's not that interested in sports.

Jody comes from the same generation as I, so I think I can offer a good perspective on the typical female baby boomer. After all, I'm married to one.

Back when I was growing up, girls were discouraged from participating in sports, mainly by their parents, because it wasn't considered lady-like, and even if they did want to participate, back in the 60's and early 70's, in days before Title IX, there just wasn't the sports programs available for girls. Plus, the NFL and other sporting ventures didn't market their product to women like they do today.

Bottom line is that I think it's fair to assume that football isn't in Jody's blood like it is with of us men and many younger women from the Gen X and Millennial generations that grew up with an interest in it vs. having to get up to speed when you're suddenly thrust into a position where you're the owner of an NFL franchise.

Although none of us know to what degree she's involved in the franchise or how much she participates in the decision making, I think it's a fair assumption that she's likely pretty detached from the decision-making process and relies heavily on the advice of a couple of advisors she trusts. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Although it does help to have an intimate knowledge of a business, it's not a prerequisite for a successful manager.

I must have been raised a generation or so after you. Women were doing a lot of sports when I was coming up. Not football, but lots of softball, volleyball, ice skating, gymnastics, tennis, swimming. Is that what Title IX changed? Made it so High Schools and college had to provide equal numbers of female sports? Good change. Women like to compete too. It's healthy too. Most female athletes at my school were in good shape.

Even in my generation, football was always the sport of big, violent males. Guys exerting physical dominance in sport. A step below fighting, but a step above sports like baseball and basketball in terms of violent interaction. You have to have a certain mentality to play football not present in most other sports besides maybe hockey.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:25 pm

RiverDog wrote:I agree with that. I heard that Jody rarely attended any Blazer games until Paul died and she became the owner, which leads me to believe that she's not that interested in sports.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I must have been raised a generation or so after you. Women were doing a lot of sports when I was coming up. Not football, but lots of softball, volleyball, ice skating, gymnastics, tennis, swimming. Is that what Title IX changed? Made it so High Schools and college had to provide equal numbers of female sports? Good change. Women like to compete too. It's healthy too. Most female athletes at my school were in good shape.

Even in my generation, football was always the sport of big, violent males. Guys exerting physical dominance in sport. A step below fighting, but a step above sports like baseball and basketball in terms of violent interaction. You have to have a certain mentality to play football not present in most other sports besides maybe hockey.

When I was in junior high, a school with 850 students in 3 grades, the only sports they had available for women was tumbling, which wasn't even an interscholastic activity, and track. There might have been other schools that had girls basketball, but we had just the one gym, and it was occupied by 3 boys teams, the 7th graders having to practice at 7am in the morning. There was no softball, no cross country, no volleyball, no basketball. There was a little more for girls in high school, which was a very large school of 1650 students in 3 grades, as they had tennis and basketball along with track, but they had no fall sports. There were no summer sports like we had with youth baseball. That all changed with Title IX. I have some close female friends from my high school class, several of whom were very good athletes, and it's a frequent topic at class reunions.

I raised a daughter, born in 1986, and by then, there was a night and day difference as she participated in 3 sports per year in school and played in a soccer league.

What Title IX, passed in 1972, a year before I graduated from high school, changed is that any school or institution that received federal funding had to provide programs for both men and women with a roughly equal number of participants. It's one of the things that killed community college and small college football, wrestling, track, and other men's programs, and when they first started implementing it, I hated it. But after having a daughter of my own and seeing how many more girls got to participate compared to the girls I grew up with, I began to change my mind.

In any event, the environment that Jody grew up in was not conducive to women gaining an appreciation of sports in general and football in particular. That doesn't necessarily mean that she's just some dumb blonde, but it does suggest that she likely isn't real connected with the sport as are her male counterparts, and like I said, it doesn't mean that she's ineffectual or incompetent as an owner.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:53 am

First let me apologize to my friends on this thread who I have given the impression I've called you dishonest or put words in your mouth you didn't say. I mean it sincerely. Id appreciate you giving me the same consideration going forward. River than means when i say there were 25 seals among the crew on the octopus in answer to your question about 14 lawsuits being a lot of security it was based on a video presentation shared by my bro in law who was a systems engineer for Microsoft at the time. I do not make stuff up. I might make a mistake on stats or something but that was the # in that documentary. 25. 1 per guest of a gazillion dollar guy. Sounds about right when your off africa, all over the globe in ports of call.

The internet is such a great place to not be able to pick up what each other is trying to lay down. Its about the wry smile, the smirk, the wink of an eye.

In the future, if you care, when HT writes something try to picture a big smiling guy on a podcast saying it rapid fire live in a booming radio voice.Ive been in random conversations with half a dozen people i never met in the last 6 months say I should have a podcast. It just doesn't seem to translate properly here.
No harm intended. Its my way. Its not an excuse, i can and do edit but If I say someone says Jodis a dingbat I mean it sounds like they imply it. How about a lousy detached owner? Its what I hear despite the hair splitting .
When they say she's not a football person and she's at the stadium every week I say you gotta be a football person to go watch that defense. Its not rocket science, football. Not hard to understand :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

When I say someone thinks Pete's a dummy and they call me a liar and post a thread 5 minutes later he cant draft or acquire free agents, tired of only getting to the postseason 10 of 13 years , tired of people being drunk on their lombardi and back to back appearances well...?

When I say Knight wants a hostile takeover based on the article RIVER SHARED, the sleaze piece on the Allen FAMILY saying its a "war" because she wont sell?
I know what the words Hostile Takeover refer to in the traditional sense but this is as hostile as any wall street deal. It's because he has almost as much money as she, hes a legend in the pacific northwest and probably has support of the majority of fans. Hes done wonders for the oregon program . The lone championship if I recall was late 70s or early 80s when Bill Walton was playing. Forget the Allen tenure. Maybe it would be best if she did sell. Maybe its a lesson and warning for Hawks fans. Could we drop off a cliff and have her refuse to sell? I suppose.

I always thought the Allens were geeks, ultimate computer geeks. Eccentric. I'd consider this low cut trunks thing embarrassing. Humiliating . I can see a seal not wanting to do that. Collecting tusks or whatever? Billionaires want things other people cant have like sports franchises etc. It was wrong. It was litigated a decade ago.
Should Pete have been fired? I think hes been demoted. Maybe Pete wouldnt wear the short shorts and John did? :lol: :lol:

My best guess as to whether she's engaged with this team came from her statement after Russ was traded. Pet and John paid their respects, very polite and thankful press releases.
Jodi? WE WANTED PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL IN. ( NOT CHECKED OUT)
Nobody who thinks she's a detached wants to touch that very definitive I'm in charge of this decision statement. Or they say Pete and John convinced the detached owner to do this thing that turned out awesome and make a mean statement totally beyond anything else said by anyone in the organization.

I think shes in charge. I really do. Now lets get good draft and move forward.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:50 am

Hawktawk wrote:First let me apologize to my friends on this thread who I have given the impression I've called you dishonest or put words in your mouth you didn't say. I mean it sincerely. Id appreciate you giving me the same consideration going forward. River than means when i say there were 25 seals among the crew on the octopus in answer to your question about 14 lawsuits being a lot of security it was based on a video presentation shared by my bro in law who was a systems engineer for Microsoft at the time. I do not make stuff up. I might make a mistake on stats or something but that was the # in that documentary. 25. 1 per guest of a gazillion dollar guy. Sounds about right when your off africa, all over the globe in ports of call.

OK, fair enough. There are times when I get carried away, too.

When I called 'bullchit" on your claim that nearly half of a 63 person Octopus crew was comprised of Navy seals, that doesn't mean that I'm calling you a liar. It simply means that I don't believe you, and on this subject, I won't believe you until you can show me more evidence other than word of mouth and hearsay as your claim defies common sense. Again, that's not calling you a liar or accusing you of making things up.

I'm good with your take on Jody Allen so long as you phrase it as your opinion and not a fact. All I was doing was showing you evidence that your take may not be accurate, which is why I went on such a long, loosely related dissertation on female baby boomers and Title IX.

But I do feel that my insight to Ms. Allen is more credible than yours as at least I know how to correctly spell her first name and you don't. :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:38 am

Ok mr spell check it took you 2 decades to start spelling my handle Hawktawk instead of hawk talk. As an aside prior to XL I was Tawkhawk for my first 5 years till XL when I said some awful vulgar things none of which I retract and got banned .

As for how many former seals were on Paul’s boat the closest I can get on Google is several . If I specifically search security , seals I get no hard number . I watched a video presentation shortly after it set sail. My brother in law was a high level systems engineer at the time with Microsoft . The seals in that video were described as being employed AS crew members . Don’t forget a seal can fix the boat , drive it . I ran across a story of octopus crew saving 7 of 8 from a sinking boat . I didn’t hear the word seal but they were described as an “excellent crew “ you asked why there’s 14 lawsuits from security and I say there’s 11 more and you can’t believe that ? Swimsuits ? It was the yacht most likely .
It doesn’t matter . One seal on your crew is bad ass .” Several “ is clandestine .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:57 am

Hawktawk wrote:Ok mr spell check it took you 2 decades to start spelling my handle Hawktawk instead of hawk talk. As an aside prior to XL I was Tawkhawk for my first 5 years till XL when I said some awful vulgar things none of which I retract and got banned .

As for how many former seals were on Paul’s boat the closest I can get on Google is several . If I specifically search security , seals I get no hard number . I watched a video presentation shortly after it set sail. My brother in law was a high level systems engineer at the time with Microsoft . The seals in that video were described as being employed AS crew members . Don’t forget a seal can fix the boat , drive it . I ran across a story of octopus crew saving 7 of 8 from a sinking boat . I didn’t hear the word seal but they were described as an “excellent crew “ you asked why there’s 14 lawsuits from security and I say there’s 11 more and you can’t believe that ? Swimsuits ? It was the yacht most likely .
It doesn’t matter . One seal on your crew is bad ass .” Several “ is clandestine .

Your number of seals on the yacht is pure speculation, as is your assumption that the complaints arose from some sort of activity on it.

All I'm saying is that 14 separate complaints from one specific group of employees, ie the security detail, seems like a lot, and as was the case with Deshaun Watson, the pure numbers lend a certain degree of credibility to them. It's harder to rationalize them as disgruntled employees or engaging in some sort of extortion than if it were just a couple.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:15 pm

NorthHawk wrote:How many playoff wins?
That's the measuring stick.

That is "a measuring stick" for "some" ...so switch your allegiance to the Stacked 49ers...there is no arguing the 49ers are peaking yet adding healthy returns of a stacked roster while adding a dangerous offensive weapon like Christian McCaffrey...yet for 3/4 of a game our own team gave them a "scare" even against their vaunted defense...it was McVays relentless offensive attack across the middle that paid big dividends in breaking the game open in the 4th qtr...it used to be Kittle alone that triggered blow outs...now they have Deebo and McCaffrey...yet our team tried hard to hang in there and show how hard it is for "any" team to go deep into the playoffs. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:35 pm

To quote or maybe paraphrase Herm Edwards:
You play to win the game!

Well, it’s the same thing with team goals. You play to win the Super Bowl.
Nothing else matters unless you are building towards that goal and for the better part of the last decade
we’ve failed in both winning in the playoffs and improving the team enough to compete at the highest level.

We were crushed in the 2nd half by a team that showed us how far we have to go to actually be a factor in the
playoffs. Even Pete, one of the biggest optimists in football said almost as much.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum