Ticket Renewal

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Ticket Renewal

Postby TriCitySam » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:45 pm

They are out early and a price hike, $6590 this year for me (3 seats).
TriCitySam
Legacy

Re: Ticket Renewal

Postby RiverDog » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:22 pm

TriCitySam wrote:They are out early and a price hike, $6590 this year for me (3 seats).

When we first bought season tickets, in '83 or '84, they cost $150 for 10 games...8 regular season and two preseason games. We were about 3-4 rows from the top of the Kingdome, off the corner of the end zone. How times have changed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:10 pm

TriCitySam wrote:They are out early and a price hike, $6590 this year for me (3 seats).

So that works out to $275.00 per game per person correct? May I ask what section and row you are in?

That is certainly alot of money per game to pay, I haven't been down to a game since the 2015 NFCCG vs the Packers. Think I paid $750 CDN for a pair that day in upper bowl corner.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:54 pm

Agent 86 wrote:That is a lot of money per game to pay, I haven't been down to a game since the 2015 NFCCG vs the Packers. Think I paid $750 CDN for a pair that day in upper bowl corner.

No, not that much. Actually, the price includes parking (about $500). Back that out, 3 tix over 10 games works out about $205 per game. I'm in
Section CHR136, Row H. Like River in '83 I was in the corner end zone, VERY top row and paid $15 per game.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:14 am

TriCitySam wrote: No, not that much. Actually, the price includes parking (about $500). Back that out, 3 tix over 10 games works out about $205 per game. I'm in
Section CHR136, Row H. Like River in '83 I was in the corner end zone, VERY top row and paid $15 per game.

Aah right, forgot about factoring in the 2 preseason games and wasn't aware of the parking thing. Compared to hockey(in the US), baseball, and basketball, the NFL ticket is much more. But only 8 home games, supply and demand, it's not bad. If I lived close enough to commute to games and not have to stay a night or two I would be at more home games. Nothing like being in that stadium.

Very cool you got season tickets TCS, of the 4 pro sports, there is nothing compared to being at an NFL game.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:26 am

TriCitySam wrote: No, not that much. Actually, the price includes parking (about $500). Back that out, 3 tix over 10 games works out about $205 per game. I'm in

Agent 86 wrote:Aah right, forgot about factoring in the 2 preseason games and wasn't aware of the parking thing. Compared to hockey(in the US), baseball, and basketball, the NFL ticket is much more. But only 8 home games, supply and demand, it's not bad. If I lived close enough to commute to games and not have to stay a night or two I would be at more home games. Nothing like being in that stadium.

Very cool you got season tickets TCS, of the 4 pro sports, there is nothing compared to being at an NFL game.

We gave up our season tickets in the late 90's about the time that Paul Allen bought the team. We had worked our way down to the 35 yard line on the 100 level and were paying $35/seat. The problem was that we lived in eastern Washington, which made attending games in December challenging, and before the digital age where you had paper tickets that had to be manually transferred by snail mail, we had a difficult time getting rid of tickets to games that we couldn't or didn't want to attend. Plus, the team sucked, which made it even more difficult to find takers for the tickets. We couldn't even give them away. Then, a rumor started that they were going to make all season ticket holders buy personal seat licenses in order to raise funds for the new stadium, which was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we didn't renew them. Stupidest move we've ever made.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:50 am

Never had season tickets . My income never provided the Jack for the tickets not to mention travel etc from eastern Washington 8 times a year .

I do have a story though . My first live game with my first wife we were behind the Seahawks bench at the 50. $25 per seat playing KC. Notable Hawks were Krieg , Largent , Warner , John L Williams , Easley , Boz , Wyman . KCs qb was Todd Blackledge .

Boz came free and hit Blackledge high chest plate to the ear hole so violently his helmet popped off .

Blackledge was sitting on his butt with a nose bleed . No call . A receiver came on a slant and saw Easley and got T. rex arms missing the ball and Easley still blew him up . I could hear the pads crack in the stands .No call .

Big boy football . But my first game live was a win . So was my last one :lol:
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:10 am

I was in the crowd when Largent broke Harold Carmichael's consecutive game with at least one reception streak. The other Largent event was present for was the Mike Hardin interception where Largent cleaned his clock. I was sitting directly in line with the play and recognized immediately the significance of it, that Hardin had laid out Largent in their first meeting and had received a fine. I also saw what at the time was the 3rd highest scoring game in NFL history, a 51-48 win over the Chiefs. I had tickets via a vendor that my company had given to me. Nowadays, that kind of perk is forbidden, at least with my company.

Back in the 80's, there was a tavern in Moses Lake, Kelly's, that would charter a bus and take locals to the Hawks game. It was $25 but included all the beer, booze, and munchies you could get in your gullet. Man, those were really a hoot, a bunch of middle aged men acting like teenagers. That 2.5 hour drive when by in a flash.

Lots of fond memories going to Hawks games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:53 pm

The Hardin payback is a mofo is a classic . I watched it on tv like almost every game . Was that KC game the one we had 4 interception returns or something ? I know it was vs KC at some point .

The country club had a party bus for Seahawks games but it was a bunch of middle age married men AND women who wound up not acting appropriately after much liquor so it was cancelled the year I started there .

It sounds like you have been to a lot more games . I’m 1 a year , maybe 2. Not even that often as a younger dude .

I did go to beast quake with my then 13 year old son and he told me recently it was one of the best memories of his life . I went to Russell’s reunion of course .

Honestly for the average upper middle class person I don’t know how you can pencil it out these days having season tickets unless you have a network of friends who will buy your extra games .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:18 pm

Hawktawk wrote:The Hardin payback is a mofo is a classic . It sounds like you have been to a lot more games . I’m 1 a year , maybe 2. Not even that often as a younger dude . I did go to beast quake with my then 13 year old son and he told me recently but was one of the best memories of his life . I went to Russell’s reunion of course .

Honestly for the average upper middle class person I don’t know how you can pencil it out these days having season tickets unless you have a network of friends who will buy your extra games .

The season tickets I had were split with a friend. We had two season tickets to 10 games, so each of us got two tickets to 4 regular season games and 1 preseason, but sometimes, we'd go to the game together, so I was seeing 5 or 6 regular season home games per year. They started out at $150 apiece, eventually working to $350 apiece as we moved up in seating preference by the time we gave them up. NFL football has never been a family affair, one of those events that you take your wife and kids to, especially being that football is played during the school year.

But the good news is that they are more accessible than ever before. It used to be that if you didn't have season tickets or were able to get them on some sort of perk, you couldn't go to a home game let alone a road game in someplace like Green Bay. But now, you can go to nearly any away game for virtually the same ticket price as a home game via the secondary market, which didn't exist back then.

Nowadays, I'll go to at least one home game and one away game. Last year, we did Detroit as the away game and the Raiders as the home game. We had plans to go to Munich, but those were foiled when we couldn't get game tickets. There were 2 million people trying to get them when they went on sale, and I was #519,000 in the que when I logged in at the specified time.

My buddy and I have a theory that explains the much quieter environment inside our stadium in recent years vs. the LOB days and before, that ticket prices have climbed to the point where the blue collar crowd can't afford to attend, and those are the folks that are the more passionate. Now, it's treated more like a dinner date vs. a rock concert.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 am

When I lived in Seattle River, I was working my way through college at five bucks an hour as a janitor, tickets cost 4 hours wages. Now say you make 20-30 bucks an hour, which wouldn’t be a bad wage but not a great one, 8×30=240, somehow ticket prices have way out paced wages! Ticket prices to sporting events have gotten absolutely ridiculous. Fans should get together and boycott games and let them film empty stadiums and see how they like it, but they won’t cause we’re all a bunch of Fanatics!
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:20 am

obiken wrote:When I lived in Seattle River, I was working my way through college at five bucks an hour as a janitor, tickets cost 4 hours wages. Now say you make 20-30 bucks an hour, which wouldn’t be a bad wage but not a great one, 8×30=240, somehow ticket prices have way out paced wages! Ticket prices to sporting events have gotten absolutely ridiculous. Fans should get together and boycott games and let them film empty stadiums and see how they like it, but they won’t cause we’re all a bunch of Fanatics!

Yeah, and player's salaries have gone up exponentially, too, as has the cost to build a new stadium. The cost to build the Kingdome, which opened in '75, was $67 million, the Hawks stadium in 2002 cost $400 million, and the Rams new stadium, opened in 2020, was $5 billion. But if you want to blame anyone, you can blame the capitalistic system, and the team only charges for tickets what their customers are willing to pay, and with long waiting lists of hungry fans looking to buy tickets along with the secondary market, which didn't exist back when you were making $5 an hour, demand is stronger than ever.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:58 am

I was gonna say you have to pay QBs 50 a it’s year guaranteed and 25 a year for a star wideout , 20 for a safety , 5 billion for a stadium , in the words of Richard Sherman “ that’s what you gonna get “. My buddy bought us denver for my birthday and we always are at least the 30 top of 100 . We were at the back of the endzone. Between price of ticket , stock market etc even Dale blinked and he’s a multi millionaire . It is kind of obscene the type of resources dumped into these franchises stadiums , coaches , players . I guess with snydler in WA asking 7 billion the owners aren’t being hurt . It’s us, the little guy that demonstrates we’re willing to pay it , pay the price .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:18 am

Hawktawk wrote:I was gonna say you have to pay QBs 50 a it’s year guaranteed and 25 a year for a star wideout , 20 for a safety , 5 billion for a stadium , in the words of Richard Sherman “ that’s what you gonna get “. My buddy bought us denver for my birthday and we always are at least the 30 top of 100 . We were at the back of the endzone. Between price of ticket , stock market etc even Dale blinked and he’s a multi millionaire . It is kind of obscene the type of resources dumped into these franchises stadiums , coaches , players . I guess with snydler in WA asking 7 billion the owners aren’t being hurt . It’s us, the little guy that demonstrates we’re willing to pay it , pay the price .

But on the other hand, there is more pressing issues in life other than the price of professional football tickets. It is a discretionary cost, like the price of steak and lobster. If you can't afford to dine at a white tablecloth, 5-star restaurant, then take the wife and kids to McDonald's. I personally have no problem with the price of football tickets. That's not to say that I wish that they weren't so expensive, just that I understand why and accept that it's part of living in a capitalistic society.

Along the same general subject, I do believe that the federal government should pass legislation prohibiting the use of public funds for professional sporting venues. There was a day and time where public financing was necessary, but that's no longer the case.

Sorry to veer off topic.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:47 am

Fair point though but the loss of public money to bribe teams will shut down the blackmail other than owners with unlimited resources .

I don’t object to taxpayer dollars myself . I’ve always seen pro sports teams like sort of a port district , a public private partnership for economic growth in a world class city . One only look at the Sonics debacle to see what happens when you lose a pro sports franchise .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:41 am

Hawktawk wrote:Fair point though but the loss of public money to bribe teams will shut down the blackmail other than owners with unlimited resources .

I don’t object to taxpayer dollars myself . I’ve always seen pro sports teams like sort of a port district , a public private partnership for economic growth in a world class city . One only look at the Sonics debacle to see what happens when you lose a pro sports franchise .

I used to think the same way about this subject as you do now. Sports teams generally contribute more to the tax pot than they take out. I voted for the statewide initiative to finance the Seahawks new stadium, mainly because I was a huge football fan and didn't want to lose the Seahawks, but also because it made economic sense.

The Sonics are a typical example of a sports franchise that abused the system and one of the big reasons why I've since changed my mind. They hadn't even gotten through paying of the bonds to remodel the old Key Arena, a venue remodeled to their specifications which included limiting seating capacity so that it would prevent an NHL hockey team from attempting to move in and compete with them when they demanded a huge amount of money for a new arena and used the threat of moving to force a choice between giving into their demands or leaving the city, and one of the reasons they gave for wanting a new arena was that seating capacity was too small for today's NBA, a specification that they themselves insisted on.

Especially for the NFL, there is no longer a need for public funding. Their revenue has exploded exponentially as has the value of their franchises. They can afford to pay their players many millions of dollars. The cost of new stadium construction has increased way beyond that of which inflation could account for. They are undisciplined, spend money like a drunken sailor on a 3 day liberty. Giving those guys public money is nothing more than feeding their addiction.

Besides, in today's economy, we don't need to be spending money, especially that kind of money, ie discretionary items, as that's what's driving inflation. One of the ways to control inflation is to cut government spending and reduce the supply of money. 25 years ago when we voted for the new Seahawks stadium, there was an argument that it would bring in new jobs, both construction and non-construction. That is no longer a valid argument as today there are several times more job openings than there are unemployed.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum