Next up: the draft

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Next up: the draft

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat May 13, 2023 7:23 am

Bloods and Crips are to my understanding the most famous american street gangs, Bloods being predominantly black and Crips being predominantly Hispanic. the are so prominent in American culture I find it hard to believe anyone doesn't get the reference. If that's Carters issue I'm glad we don't have him too. Can't stand the whole gang culture. Ask the Patriots.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 13, 2023 7:30 am

I suspect this was part of the 'Character Issues' that some scouts and coaches alluded to - if it's true and not just him posing to look gangsta.
I don't know him but I sure hope he gets out of that area and becomes all he can be as a player and a man.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 13, 2023 7:33 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Bloods and Crips are to my understanding the most famous american street gangs, Bloods being predominantly black and Crips being predominantly Hispanic. the are so prominent in American culture I find it hard to believe anyone doesn't get the reference. If that's Carters issue I'm glad we don't have him too. Can't stand the whole gang culture. Ask the Patriots.

I understand who the Bloods and Crips are, but it wasn't apparent to me that's what the reference in the video was about. The quote was "repping blood gang", and I didn't associate it with the Bloods gang. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard that much mentioned about the Bloods and Crips for several years.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 13, 2023 7:45 am

NorthHawk wrote:I suspect this was part of the 'Character Issues' that some scouts and coaches alluded to - if it's true and not just him posing to look gangsta.
I don't know him but I sure hope he gets out of that area and becomes all he can be as a player and a man.

If Carter thinks that the fans in Philly are going to accept him with open arms simply by suiting up, he's in for a rude awakening. The Eagles fan base have a notorious reputation. They're same fans who once pelted Santa Claus with snowballs, and seeing things like this video isn't going to sit well with them. If he doesn't produce immediately, they'll be all over him like flies.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat May 13, 2023 5:37 pm

And if things for Carter aren't bad enough, one of the parents of the victims of the fatal racing accident that Carter was involved in is suing him:

Philadelphia Eagles star Jalen Carter has been named in a $40M lawsuit in relation to his involvement in a car crash that killed his University of Georgia teammate Devin Willock and team staffer Chandler LeCroy.

Devin's father, Dave Willock, filed the complaint against Carter — who was drafted by the Eagles as the No. 9 overall pick at the 2023 NFL Draft last month — as well as the university's athletic association and LeCroy's estate. The suit also names strip club Toppers International Showbar, per ESPN.

According to court documents, the lawsuit, filed on Tuesday, is seeking $30 million from the defendants in compensatory damages and an extra $10 million in punitive damages from Carter, 22. Per a report from WSB-TV, the amount "represents what his son would have made if he had gotten to the NFL."

The late-night crash happened on Jan. 15, 2023, shortly after the team won their second straight national championship. On March 1, an arrest warrant was issued for Carter for his alleged involvement in the crash and he was charged with two misdemeanors: reckless driving and racing on highways/streets.

Police claimed that Carter had been racing LeCroy's car, in which Willock, 20, was a passenger. Dave Willock's attorneys allege that Georgia officials were aware of LeCroy's driving history, which included four speeding tickets over the past six years, according to ESPN.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/eag ... 23208.html
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 14, 2023 3:41 am

More piling on as the hits just keep on coming:

Jalen Carter was driving with a suspended license during the night of the Jan. 15 incident in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia that led to misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and racing, court documents show.

The suspended license stemmed from a speeding ticket in Lake County, Florida on July 23, 2022, court documents show. Along with paying a fine of $133.50 on Aug. 29, Carter elected to take part in traffic school -- typically recommended to defendants to avoid points being put on their driving record, an employee of the Lake County clerk's office said. He had until Oct. 28 to complete the course. Failure to do so resulted in the suspended license, which came into full effect on Nov. 28, the employee said.

His license was reinstated on Jan. 26 -- 11 days after the incident -- following payment of $150.50, documents show.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... nse-jan-15

If it's true, I'm not sure why he wasn't charged with driving with a suspended license. In GA, there's a mandatory 2-day jail sentence for anyone found guilty. It was suspended in a different state, FL vs. GA, but states usually cooperate and if driving privileges are revoked in one state, the home state usually follows suit. If it's true and can be proven, then he's likely on the hook for the $40m lawsuit.

More offseason drama.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun May 14, 2023 7:17 am

RE driving on a suspended license:

If it's true and can be proven, then he's likely on the hook for the $40m lawsuit.

Seems quite the stretch to connect those dots.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun May 14, 2023 8:43 am

The suit should name the university of Georgia period. It was a college employee driving a leased university vehicle transporting students while almost 3 times the legal limit . Evidence shows he was behind her at the time of the crash in a vehicle with less weight and twice the horsepower . Not a race . A drunk woman killed herself and one other while in an official capacity as a recruiting department employee in a university vehicle . It’s not hard to figure out . I’m increasingly glad we stayed off Carter but this was not his fault ..
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 14, 2023 8:58 am

It's common for lawyers to sue anyone and everyone that was near or close to being near the site of an accident.
As the case proceeds, those not involved are pared from the lawsuits.
As far as the crash goes, if he was following closely at a high rate of speed, it might be argued that he participated in the crash just by keeping up to a speeding vehicle.
If he was going the speed limit, then he shouldn't worry.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 14, 2023 10:16 am

c_hawkbob wrote:RE driving on a suspended license:

If it's true and can be proven, then he's likely on the hook for the $40m lawsuit.

Seems quite the stretch to connect those dots.

I'm not a lawyer and maybe I'm all wet, but if it was proven that Carter shouldn't have been behind the wheel in the first place, it might be easier for them to prove that the accident might not have happened had Carter obeyed the law.

This seems very strange to me, why the State of Georgia wouldn't have known about Carter's license suspension in Florida, a bordering state. That has to happen all the time, where a resident of one state gets his license suspended in a bordering state. I know for a fact that a home state will follow suit when a resident gets their license suspended in another state and issue a suspension of their own.

Had the prosecutor known that Carter was driving w/o a license, would they have elevated the reckless driving charge to a felony? They certainly would have been justified as it would have been considered multiple violations. Is that why they 'overlooked' it, because they didn't want to endanger a favorite son's draft chances? Does anyone else smell a fish?

And I agree with Hawktawk, that the U of Georgia is dirtier than all get out as they've had numerous athletes get into trouble with the law. Sort of like Urban Meyer's Florida teams.

Personally, I'm doubtful that this lawsuit will succeed, but there's a chance that Carter could settle out of court as it would save both of them some legal fees.

I'm sure glad that PC/JS heeded the red flags and stayed away from this guy as some of us in here had suggested they do.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum