Geno re-signed

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Geno re-signed

Postby Stream Hawk » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:31 pm

Looks like Geno is being signed three years $105 million. Not sure I love it as he did regress quite a bit at the end of the season.
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1632885 ... pMkhpLC7ng
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Re: Geno re-signed

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:38 pm

I'll have to see guaranteed numbers before a thumbs up or down, but I knew it'd be north of $30M per.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:52 pm

Three years of Geno, eh. Let's hope he continues to do well.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:06 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Three years of Geno, eh. Let's hope he continues to do well.

The FO must think he can do well . It sounds like he can get 50 of it in 1 year . I would assume it’s structured to protect Seattle somewhat if he falls off a cliff.
I heard a guy who does play by play for Florida talking about Richardson . He said Seattle with a guy like Geno starting could be perfect as Richardson needs a couple years to be ready . Pete had made clear they might sign Geno and still take a qb .

This I know . I love the guy . He’s real , a truth teller , philosopher in a way . He’s a true workout warrior . The team loves him . It’s a win while you retool move .

I like it . I’m the charter member of the Geno club . Not changing now.
GO HAWKS!!!!!!
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:23 pm

Given what QBs are getting paid, I'm good to roll with Geno for three years unless he starts to suck.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:04 pm

Like Bob said it depends on the guarantees but it’s typical of out FO to overpay for our own players.
PFT said he could earn $56M the first calendar year.
I wonder who they are going to cut to get under the Cap and we can say goodbye to any substantive FA’s.
Unless there’s an out, we’re now doomed to mediocrity for the next few years.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby govandals » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:16 pm

Hopefully it's structured like Derek Carr's deal in New Orleans. Low year one cap hit and easy to walk away from after 2 years.

I'm still all in on drafting a qb at #5.
govandals
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:26 pm

Pretty close to my prediction- 3 years 100 mil. I think when the numbers come out this will be a very good deal for the Hawks. This is basically what I had hoped we would do (depending on the guarantees). Now we can do what we want in the draft and don't have to draft a QB early, although I still am hoping we get Stroud or Levis and do not hate Richardson.
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:26 pm

Yup, the contract structure is key.
How many times have contracts been announced and the reality turned out to be much different than what the announcement suggested?
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:36 am

It seems likely that the $52m, or whatever, is highly incentive based. Something on the order of $20m for MVP, and $20m for a Super Bowl win, or something similar. New Orleans just signed Carr for an even bigger contract, but his cap hit this year is about $8m. Perhaps Geno's deal is like that. The actual numbers may be a much softer hit than it seems on the surface.

It seems like a win-win. Geno gets big numbers associated with his name, the team has control, and for the time being we have a competent placeholder for the next big gun.

As a side note, this signing may convince some other teams that we may not be one of those trying to get one of the QBs, so they may trade up to get the defensive player they want in order that the Seahawks don't get the man they want. If so, it may push one of the QBs down to us.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:21 am

Old but Slow wrote:It seems likely that the $52m, or whatever, is highly incentive based. Something on the order of $20m for MVP, and $20m for a Super Bowl win, or something similar. New Orleans just signed Carr for an even bigger contract, but his cap hit this year is about $8m. Perhaps Geno's deal is like that. The actual numbers may be a much softer hit than it seems on the surface.

It seems like a win-win. Geno gets big numbers associated with his name, the team has control, and for the time being we have a competent placeholder for the next big gun.

As a side note, this signing may convince some other teams that we may not be one of those trying to get one of the QBs, so they may trade up to get the defensive player they want in order that the Seahawks don't get the man they want. If so, it may push one of the QBs down to us.

What do you think of Hendon Hooker? His stats look like a Pete QB. Is he worth a look?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:59 am

As long as we can get out from underneath it, I'm OK with it. Not enthusiastic, just OK.

And I, too, am still all in on drafting a QB with our #5 overall so long as one of the top 3 is available. The fact that it appears to be heavily front loaded plays into the theory that we would resign Geno to a short term contract and use the time to develop our QBOTF that we pick up in this year's draft.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:44 am

I find it hard to believe that Bryce Young would fall to #5 after being considered either the best QB or one of the top 2 in this draft.
Once the excitement dies down and teams go back to the film room to evaluate the top 4 QBs I think the rankings will end up close to where they were prior to the Combine.
If he falls to #5, I would be happy to select him as he might be the best QB in this draft. He has a much higher floor and may have almost as high a ceiling but the only thing that might hold him back is perceived future durability.
We know that the Colts owner seems to like him and I would expect a number of other GMs would also be interested as well, but Richardson is a higher risk so he might still be there at 5. From what I've read, the most consistent rating
is Young and Stroud at the top in either order. It would be a first if 4 QBs went in the top 4. Maybe it will happen this year, but the odds are against it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:20 am

Spotrac has Geno's contract listed as 3 years $75M with 40M guaranteed. overthecap.com doesn't have an update, as of this post.
That's interesting if true, as it suggests they could cut him after his 2nd year with little penalty, but the expected to be earned bonuses will be key for the Cap figure. It would also seem that he would have $30M in not expected to be earned bonuses as well.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:24 am

OK this signing gets a definite thumbs up from me. More than half of Geno's first year is in the form of incentives and less than half of the total is guaranteed money. Excellent work John!

Mike Garatoio ✔ @MikeGarafolo
The #Seahawks' deal with Geno Smith has a base value of $25 million per season (three years, $75 million) with $40 million fully guaranteed at signing, sources say.
Smith will earn $28 million in the first year of the deal. He has $30 million in incentives.

"... Pete Carroll said the #Seahawks are "totally connected" to the QBs in this year's draft, especially since they're in the rare spot of drafting No. 5 overall. Smith's contract rewards him for his comeback season but doesn't close the door on Seattle taking a QB high at all.
Last edited by c_hawkbob on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:33 am

As we had said before, the guaranteed money is key. The expected to be earned bonuses will add some but it shouldn't be a whole lot.
If we cut him after the 2nd year, it would average out to only $13.333M/year plus some bonuses.

Also from PFT:

That makes it a two-year, $50 million deal (plus incentives). It also means the Seahawks could potentially move on after one season. They’d owe $12 million for 2024; possibly, he’d get that much (or close to it) on the open market, offsetting Seattle’s obligation.

The total breakdown will shed more light on the deal. For now, it’s not crazy to think that the contract makes it easy for the Seahawks to indeed use the fifth overall pick on a quarterback, who would sit for a year or two behind Smith — just as Smith did behind Russell Wilson.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:34 am

NorthHawk wrote:Spotrac has Geno's contract listed as 3 years $75M with 40M guaranteed. overthecap.com doesn't have an update, as of this post.
That's interesting if true, as it suggests they could cut him after his 2nd year with little penalty, but the expected to be earned bonuses will be key for the Cap figure. It would also seem that he would have $30M in not expected to be earned bonuses as well.

I don't know about "not expected to be earned', more like they are performance incentives (pro bowl, super bowl, #of wins etc.) as opposed to signing or workout or any other offseason bonus.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:39 am

c_hawkbob wrote:OK this signing gets a definite thumbs up from me. More than half of Geno's first year is in the form of incentives and less than half of the total is guaranteed money. Excellent work John!

Mike Garatoio ✔ @MikeGarafolo
The #Seahawks' deal with Geno Smith has a base value of $25 million per season (three years, $75 million) with $40 million fully guaranteed at signing, sources say.
Smith will earn $28 million in the first year of the deal. He has $30 million in incentives.

"... 46m Pete Carroll said the #Seahawks are "totally connected" to the QBs in this year's draft, especially since they're in the rare spot of drafting No. 5 overall. Smith's contract rewards him for his comeback season but doesn't close the door on Seattle taking a QB high at all.

Yeah, that sounds damn good. I don't trust Geno to perform like he did for the first half of the season and would be worried that his last 8 games are more indicative than the first 9. This deal limits our risk. It also paves the way to draft a rookie QB and groom him for a year or so.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:44 am

I don't know about "not expected to be earned', more like they are performance incentives (pro bowl, super bowl, #of wins etc.) as opposed to signing or workout or any other offseason bonus.

Sometimes there are things in contracts like $5M for being the NFL MVP or SB MVP or even making the Super Bowl and such. These are not things most players would expect to achieve. If they do, then they are added, but the odds are small.
It's a tool to make the contract look better than it really is. Expected to be earned are things like workout bonuses, games played or started and so forth.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:56 am

There is a school of thought that they should have let Geno walk because Lock would be cheaper and probably a decent bridge to a new guy. The problem with that, is in how a failure by the starter would be viewed by the fans and media. If Geno plays poorly, the fans will be more patient, but if Lock played that way there would be strong demand to start the rookie.

I like the signing, and the money seems reasonable without giving up team control. I suspect that they have figured a way to free up enough cap space to add a defensive lineman or linebacker out of free agency.

Now lets get one of the young guns by hook or by crook.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:19 am

I suspect that their original plan after trading Wilson was to get a QB in this or last draft and have him sit behind the starter be it Smith or Lock.
There's no reason to deviate from that plan from this signing.
I originally thought it was a bad contract, but averaging $13.333M per year in guarantees is acceptable. I had pushed for $30M in guarantees over 3 years but can live with $40M as it still allows us to pursue some FA's.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:31 am

Reported as essentially a 2 year $50MM deal + incentives, seems like a really smart deal for Seattle, and fair for Geno. He can make some real bucks if he wins a SB, and who wouldn't be happy with that, and cap friendly for the Hawks. Gives us some flexibility to build the team. Nice job by JS.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:34 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Spotrac has Geno's contract listed as 3 years $75M with 40M guaranteed. overthecap.com doesn't have an update, as of this post.

Yes, that's close to the same info NFL this morning had on it's site and this from PFT. The total story not out yet, but 40m. total including the signing bonus as a guaranteeat signing + certain incentives that can impact the total. Certainly 25m a year would be a lot better then 35m a year.

I have no idea how all this affects our cap. Have to wait for the 'real' numbers to post on NFL, but this would seem to be OK.

Now we really can draft our "QB of the future" next month.
[url]
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... 5-million/[/url]
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:09 pm

The other thing that this signing does is that it puts some doubt in other team's minds as to our intentions in the draft. Had we signed Geno to a longer contract or one without the back door in it like this one has, JS wouldn't be able to play poker and make other teams think that we're drafting a QB. But this signing, as others have pointed out, at least makes it look like we're still in the market. If, for example, the Bucs want to trade up, we can make them think that we're just salivating over a player like Richardson, make them up the Anty if they are desperate for a QB.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:18 pm

They have a ton of film on Geno now and a better idea of how they will use him, so the defensive game plans should be better against us next year. We'll see if Geno can adjust.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:14 am

Any ideas why we haven't heard anything about Geno's DUI? Supposedly they've been waiting for the toxicology report, and there's a backlog of 'up to' a year. It would also make sense that Geno's case was given a relatively low priority because it didn't involve any injuries, damage to property, or involvement in the commission of a crime.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... 35c899603b

But we've gone well past that one year mark, so the backlog excuse is getting pretty flimsy. Believe me, I'm not the one to believe in conspiracies, especially ones with no evidence to them, but could it be that Geno's toxicology report and subsequent DUI charge has been intentionally delayed so as not to create a PR issue for the Hawks during the season and/or interfere with his contract negotiations during the offseason?

Or did he use his get out of jail free card?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:04 am

RiverDog wrote:Any ideas why we haven't heard anything about Geno's DUI? Supposedly they've been waiting for the toxicology report, and there's a backlog of 'up to' a year. It would also make sense that Geno's case was given a relatively low priority because it didn't involve any injuries, damage to property, or involvement in the commission of a crime.

But we've gone well past that one year mark, so the backlog excuse is getting pretty flimsy. Believe me, I'm not the one to believe in conspiracies, especially ones with no evidence to them, but could it be that Geno's toxicology report and subsequent DUI charge has been intentionally delayed so as not to create a PR issue for the Hawks during the season and/or interfere with his contract negotiations during the offseason?

Actually when you and I were discussing this I was the one sure it wasn’t a backlog . Turns out it’s the backlog . I learned reading about this massive backlog that Geno is indeed one of the cases tied up . The state is losing convictions over people being denied a speedy trial so he may yet beat it not due to some celebrity card but state incompetence . The article was written concerning the desire of lawmakers to make the limit .05, 2 beers . See how big the backlog gets when people are getting popped after 1 wine tasting . Dumb and dumber . Geno can’t complain . It’s his turd in a punch bowl . Just get it over with asap. At least he can afford a good attorney . Maybe he gets Sherman’s judge and skates .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:44 pm

RiverDog wrote:Any ideas why we haven't heard anything about Geno's DUI? Supposedly they've been waiting for the toxicology report, and there's a backlog of 'up to' a year. It would also make sense that Geno's case was given a relatively low priority because it didn't involve any injuries, damage to property, or involvement in the commission of a crime.

Hawktawk wrote:Actually when you and I were discussing this I was the one sure it wasn’t a backlog . Turns out it’s the backlog . I learned reading about this massive backlog that Geno is indeed one of the cases tied up . The state is losing convictions over people being denied a speedy trial so he may yet beat it not due to some celebrity card but state incompetence . The article was written concerning the desire of lawmakers to make the limit .05, 2 beers . See how big the backlog gets when people are getting popped after 1 wine tasting . Dumb and dumber . Geno can’t complain . It’s his turd in a punch bowl . Just get it over with asap. At least he can afford a good attorney . Maybe he gets Sherman’s judge and skates .

I read an article where Oregon has a similar problem, but theirs was a shortage of public defenders. And yes, Geno is luckier than all get out.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:47 pm

Anyone know why Geno's contract hasn't actually been posted by the team? It's not on "over the cap" either. Still shows Geno at 3.5m from '22.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:59 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Anyone know why Geno's contract hasn't actually been posted by the team? It's not on "over the cap" either. Still shows Geno at 3.5m from '22.

Could it be that it hasn’t yet been approved by the league?
It might just be a clerical issue.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:19 am

Maybe Geno read it and wrote back :D following comments are pasted from draft thread as I felt they are more fitting here.

Seems the MOST EXCITING thing about the deal with Geno to many is how quick we can get out of it. Its understandable but the doubt Geno wing of the fan base is in full throat.

What if Geno plays good? Great? what if we give him some defense?

There's a better chance that Geno is good to great next year then there is that Richardson will ever be great or any of the other guys in the draft.Richardson is a pipe dream. Might not always be but hes done nothing yet in his career except build an incredible body with help from God. If I hear Mahomes again Ill cry. Hes a hall of famer if he quits today. But who else? Burrow is my #2, an unquestioned #1 overall talent when drafted and he still had a rocky rookie year ended by injury before their improved defense and skill people allowed him to take the next step.

Josh Allen you say? Love the guy. Hasn't won a divisional on a pretty salty good roster with a really good young coach. Led the league in turnovers with 18. Left the field in a shouting match with Diggs who was doing most of the shouting after another divisional loss by the "super bowl contender" Bills.

Allen is fun to watch QB that loses in the divisional. Kinda like Kirk Cousins. Not saying Allen cant as I dont believe that but 6 years in....
Herbert? 1 playoff loss. Geno smoked him like a joint, our defense crushed him. Even Lamar Jackson has question marks due to the fact his style of play is getting him hurt now, Allen also to a lesser extent .

I believe in Geno. We can win with Geno. Ill take 30 TD passes and over 4 K team record yards and compl% that led the league and I wont whine or complain. Ill be thankful for the big time hometown discount we got, the true real person, great teammate and pro organization goals . The workout warrior who was in the gym lifting the day after getting the hell knocked out of him in a playoff game. Yeah he had a tough second half in some games like everyone did except Purdy.
Not trying to be a downer as Im intrigued by our situation and these draft options as much as anyone but now is now.

Do not sleep on Geno.
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:30 am

Hawktawk wrote:Maybe Geno read it and wrote back :D following comments are pasted from draft thread as I felt they are more fitting here.

Seems the MOST EXCITING thing about the deal with Geno to many is how quick we can get out of it. Its understandable but the doubt Geno wing of the fan base is in full throat.

What if Geno plays good? Great? what if we give him some defense?

There's a better chance that Geno is good to great next year then there is that Richardson will ever be great or any of the other guys in the draft.Richardson is a pipe dream. Might not always be but hes done nothing yet in his career except build an incredible body with help from God. If I hear Mahomes again Ill cry. Hes a hall of famer if he quits today. But who else? Burrow is my #2, an unquestioned #1 overall talent when drafted and he still had a rocky rookie year ended by injury before their improved defense and skill people allowed him to take the next step.

Josh Allen you say? Love the guy. Hasn't won a divisional on a pretty salty good roster with a really good young coach. Led the league in turnovers with 18. Left the field in a shouting match with Diggs who was doing most of the shouting after another divisional loss by the "super bowl contender" Bills.

Allen is fun to watch QB that loses in the divisional. Kinda like Kirk Cousins. Not saying Allen cant as I dont believe that but 6 years in....
Herbert? 1 playoff loss. Geno smoked him like a joint, our defense crushed him. Even Lamar Jackson has question marks due to the fact his style of play is getting him hurt now, Allen also to a lesser extent .

I believe in Geno. We can win with Geno. Ill take 30 TD passes and over 4 K team record yards and compl% that led the league and I wont whine or complain. Ill be thankful for the big time hometown discount we got, the true real person, great teammate and pro organization goals . The workout warrior who was in the gym lifting the day after getting the hell knocked out of him in a playoff game. Yeah he had a tough second half in some games like everyone did except Purdy.
Not trying to be a downer as Im intrigued by our situation and these draft options as much as anyone but now is now.

Do not sleep on Geno.

Why are you posting the exact same thing in two different threads?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:13 am

I explained I moved it here because it fit better than the draft thread. Should have deleted the other one . Another HT cyber F up :roll:
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:55 am

Hawktawk wrote:I explained I moved it here because it fit better than the draft thread. Should have deleted the other one . Another HT cyber F up :roll:

LOL! OK, my friend, no problem. I kept thinking that I was in a different thread until I figured out that you had posted the same thing in two of them.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:22 am

I caught some of Genos interviews yesterday about his deal . To summarize “ I always believed in myself , this doesn’t change anything for me . It gives me incentives but gives the team resources to get better “ asked who he would like to see drafted he deferred , said he would trust John and Pete’s judgement . Asked specifically about Seattle drafting a quarterback he said “ I’ll compete with anyone but I’ll help him out too. Just like Drew . I helped him while we were competing . I won’t withhold information “
I’m excited for the season whether we draft a guy or not but if we do he couldn’t come to a better situation . Compared to a lot of the divas around the league Geno is a breath of fresh air .
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:18 pm

According to Breer, this is Geno's deal:

Signing bonus: $26MM
Salaries: $1.2MM - '23; $12.7MM - '24; $14.8MM - '25
2024 Roster Bonus due 3/24: $9.6MM; '25 Roster Bonus $10MM
$200K workout bonus each year

Incentives:

"For each of these markers, Smith hits in '23 or '24, Seahawks will add $2MM to the following year's March roster bonus. If he hits all 5 in either year, he gets an additional $5MM bonus, pushing the total bump of the bonus from $10MM to $15MM (and the total potential value of the contract to $105MM."

* 4,282 yards passing
* 30 or more TD passes
* 69.755% completion (min 224 attempts)
* 110.84 QB rating (min 224 attempts)
* 10 wins or playoff birth (min 80% playtime)

So, if he doesn't play well, they can bail prior to the 3/25 roster bonus due date and their 2 year total is $49.9MM (that says he misses the bonus money)
TriCitySam
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum