R.I.P. Bud Grant

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

R.I.P. Bud Grant

Postby TriCitySam » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:49 pm

TriCitySam
Legacy

Re: R.I.P. Bud Grant

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:55 pm

Sad to see another legend go, but at least he didn't get cheated.

Creator of the Purple People Eaters. Grant coached in both the CFL and the NFL. He fielded some damn good teams, but they could never win the big one, losing in the Super Bowl 4 times, a futility of which I believe only the Bills can match.

RIP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:49 pm

RiverDog wrote:Sad to see another legend go, but at least he didn't get cheated.

Creator of the Purple People Eaters. Grant coached in both the CFL and the NFL. He fielded some damn good teams, but they could never win the big one, losing in the Super Bowl 4 times, a futility of which I believe only the Bills can match.

RIP.

Tough to lose that many, but getting there says something, and he lost to some very, very good teams.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:49 pm

Pete's Mentor. R.I.P. to a great coach that taught our HC a whole lot of great lessons.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:49 pm

RiverDog wrote:Sad to see another legend go, but at least he didn't get cheated.

RIP.

TriCitySam wrote:Tough to lose that many, but getting there says something, and he lost to some very, very good teams.

Absolutely. And the same can be said about Marv Levy, who by the way is 97 years old and still kicking!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Hawktawk » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:45 am

I was a Vikings fan till Seattle came into existence . Joe Kapp, Fran Tarkenton . Chuck Foreman, purple people eaters .
It’s tough to lose that many , like the Bills but agreed they waited till the championship . I think luck , a bounce of a ball, tuck rule , wide right , there’s so much luck involved with teams that win it all .

I wasn’t aware his connections with Pete but a great , classy guy, great coach . They never replaced him in Minnesota .
Rip Bud Grant
Hawktawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:02 pm

Hawktawk wrote:I was a Vikings fan till Seattle came into existence . Joe Kapp, Fran Tarkenton . Chuck Foreman, purple people eaters .
It’s tough to lose that many , like the Bills but agreed they waited till the championship . I think luck , a bounce of a ball, tuck rule , wide right , there’s so much luck involved with teams that win it all .

I wasn’t aware his connections with Pete but a great , classy guy, great coach . They never replaced him in Minnesota .
Rip Bud Grant

Grant's teams, at least his early teams, were typical of the pre-merger NFL, conservative and old fashioned. In Super Bowl IV against the AFL Chiefs, the Vikings defense didn't know WTF was going on with the Chiefs multiple formations and pre-snap motion. In contrast, the Vikings offense didn't run one single play that featured a man in motion during the entire game.

And speaking of coaching connections, our first ever coach, Jack Patera, was Grant's defensive line coach before he became the expansion Hawk's HC.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum