Our Safety Cup Runneth Over

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Our Safety Cup Runneth Over

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 20, 2023 6:42 pm

Seems like I'm always lately defending Jamal in our posts...but really? The Jets wanted to rid themselves of a young all-pro they drafted #6 in the first round?? My take was it was all financial/ugly business end of it with Adams claiming he and their GM had a verbal agreement that never materialized...heated passion led to ET leaving us...so why is it hard to imagine heated passion led to Jamal being offered in a trade. Both Adams and Grahm came to our team as a result of contract wars between the players and their frustrated GM's...we have bad luck "swooping" in on tempting bounty!

He wasn't in their plans going forward. He wanted too much money for what he could deliver. We weren't competing with any other team for him and we "Swooped in and traded for him" all the while giving up a whole lot more than we needed to.
Saleh"s Defense has a lot of similarities we had with Pete's system and Adams wasn't going to be a key player in it. If he was really a critical piece of their team as an All Pro they would have patched things up because All Pro's don't come along that often. He had the same ball skill problems with the Jets as he's had here, and he's not a very good cover Safety, so he's pretty much a one trick pony.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sat May 20, 2023 8:03 pm

He's a box safety with high impact...As you noted its one thing for a player to accumulate "Pro Bowl" nods...quite another for a young safety to snare All-Pro recognition. In our two deep shell coverage he was out of his element from his past experiences where he normally played at LB depth or closer to the line of scrimmage...but he was learning and often because of his speed and range would sometimes look like he was in coverage but was actually aiding a corner's failed coverage assignment. Only the secondary coaches and D-Coordinator know the actual coverage assignments on a given play called so its not so obvious to express anything more than an opinion. Compare actual coverage stats between 2020 and 2021 (plenty of stat sources freely available) and you'll see actual improvement. Karl Scott is a very good respected secondary coach and if Jamal hadn't suffered his serious injury in last years first game we'll never know if that improved coverage from 2021 wouldn't have improved further. You're a fan and as a fan I respect your opinion...I just have a different view of reference. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Sat May 20, 2023 8:48 pm

If Adams is half as good as he thinks he is, he could really help this defense. The trade was terrible, but it is done. We have lemons, hopefully we can make lemonade.

The team needs cap space, and could gain about $8m if they cut Adams after June 1, which seems logical, but is not what I expect the team to do. He needs to be healthy so that he can use his hitting ability and aggressiveness. And maybe a couple of suction cups for his face mask.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun May 21, 2023 6:45 am

Richard Sherman was very brash and outspoken and enjoyed the sustained good health (only "scary" moment was a collision in the end zone with Kam...as both stayed down before showing they were "ok") to back up his bold bravado. Jamal is also brash and very vocal...hoping his injury doesn't zap his athleticism and he returns to good health giving him an opportunity to earn the respect that he seeks on the playing field. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 21, 2023 7:43 am

The difference is Sherman consistently produced and was often on an island. It's tough to say that about Adams.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 21, 2023 9:30 am

Old but Slow wrote:If Adams is half as good as he thinks he is, he could really help this defense. The trade was terrible, but it is done. We have lemons, hopefully we can make lemonade.

The team needs cap space, and could gain about $8m if they cut Adams after June 1, which seems logical, but is not what I expect the team to do. He needs to be healthy so that he can use his hitting ability and aggressiveness. And maybe a couple of suction cups for his face mask.

Suction cups seem a bit impractical. I'd go with Velcro.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum