Olusegon Oluwatimi (Draft Steal/gem?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Olusegon Oluwatimi (Draft Steal/gem?

Postby tarlhawk » Mon May 01, 2023 12:29 pm

Olu or Lu (interesting to see how interviews will address his name) has a whole slew of awards/ achievements that I will list at the end of this post...all of which begs the question of how he fell to where most Mock Draft Simulators had him pegged. I've heard excuses varying from "he's too small" "his hands are too small 8 5/8" for gripping (NFL uses larger football than NCAA) "he's been to three programs in 5 years"...with only his final year as part of Michigan's famed O-Line (Only O-Line to win back to back "Joe Moore awards")...yet for all the "excusing" he has a litany of accomplishments/awards.

The Joe Moore Award is awarded annually to the best collegiate football offensive line unit. The award is presented by the Joe Moore Foundation for Teamwork and they state that The Joe Moore Award for the Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit will annually recognize the toughest, most physical offensive line in the country, making it the only major college football award to honor a unit or group.

The Joe Moore Award voting committee judges solely on six criteria: toughness, effort, teamwork, consistency, technique and finishing.

This is the second year in a row that the Wolverines have won this coveted award, making them the first ever unit to do so. Michigan is the second unit from the BIG-TEN (Iowa, 2015) to accomplish this noteworthy achievement. (Michigan narrowly beat out Georgia by 5 votes) Alabama won in 2020.

Started all 14 games at center to earn his first varsity letter
Rimington Award Winner, the third in Michigan history
• Outland Trophy Winner, the first in Michigan history
• Part of the Joe Moore Award-winning offensive line

• Consensus All-American
• First-team All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation, Sporting News, FWAA, and AFCA; second-team selection by the AP
• All-Big Ten selection (first team, coaches, second team, media)
• Big Ten Sportsmanship Award Winner
• Recipient of the Hugh H. Rader Award
• Rotary Lombardi Award Semifinalist
• Midseason All-American by The Athletic (first team)
• Twice shared Offensive Player of the Week honors for his performances against Penn State and at Ohio State
• Made his U-M debut and started at center against Colorado State (Sept. 3)
• Started at center against Hawaii (Sept. 10), UConn (Sept. 17), Maryland (Sept. 24), Penn State (Oct. 15), Michigan State (Oct. 29), Nebraska (Nov. 12), Illinois (Nov. 19), at Iowa (Oct. 1), at Indiana (Oct. 8), Rutgers (Nov. 5), at Ohio State (Nov. 26), against Purdue in the Big Ten Championship (Dec. 3), against TCU in the Vrbo Fiesta Bowl/CFP Semifinal (Dec. 31)

PRIOR TO MICHIGAN
• Earned three varsity letters at Virginia (2019-20-21), making 32 straight starts at center
• Began his career at Air Force (2017) before transferring
• Earned his degree in economics from UVA

Senior (2021)
• Started all 12 games at center, playing the most snaps of any ACC center (910)
• One of three Rimington Trophy finalists, the first in UVA's history
• A second-team All-American by the FWAA, the second in school history at his position
• Also a second-team All-American choice by Action Sports Network, Phil Steele, and Pro Football Network
• Named a first-team All-ACC selection by Phil Steele and a second-team choice by PFF and the AP
• Richmond Football Club co-Offensive Lineman of the Year
• ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week (Sept. 13) and DC Touchdown Club Washington Metro College Football Player of the Week following a performance against Illinois that saw him register nine pancake blocks
• Graded as PFF's No. 2 center in the nation in run blocking, the best in the ACC

Junior (2020)
• Started all 10 games at center and called the unit's protections
• Led an offensive line that led the ACC and finished No. 12 in the NCAA in TFL allowed per game (4.2)
• Helped limit teams to 2.0 sacks per game; the offense ranked third in the nation in rushing yards before contact per carry

Junior (2019)
• Played in all 14 games with 13 starts center; played both guard positions in the one game he did not start
• All-ACC (honorable mention) selection; VaSID all-state first team
• Helped block for quarterback Bryce Perkins as he set the UVA single-season passing and single-season total offense records
• Perkins was one of two quarterbacks in the nation with 3,000-plus passing yards and 700-plus rushing yards

Asked in his interview of his ability to "communicate" with his O-Line team mates he said Michigan tasked him with all Passing/Rushing calls. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Re: Olusegon Oluwatimi (Draft Steal/gem?

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon May 01, 2023 1:00 pm

Are we getting a Joey Hunt or a Jeff Saturday? That's the question, and only time will tell, though neither of those two had near as many accolades. I like his experience, too. A worthy 5th round pick.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon May 01, 2023 1:36 pm

From what I have read on Olu, he'll either be a quality center or he'll fail due to a lack of size and physical ability. The draft profiles I've read indicate he has the intelligence, consistency, and blocking ability to be a great center, but the question is will his size and strength allow him to handle the huge and fast NFL D-linemen he'll be going against. We survived with Robbie Toebeck for years with Holmgren leading our top flight O-line, so I'm thinking maybe this guy has a chance since he is backed up by very good tackles. Be real nice if our guards give him plenty of help.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Mon May 01, 2023 2:48 pm

These two bullets from his final year (2021) at Virginia (ACC) I think are telling:

• ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week (Sept. 13) and DC Touchdown Club Washington Metro College Football Player of the Week following a performance against Illinois that saw him register nine pancake blocks
• Graded as PFF's No. 2 center in the nation in run blocking, the best in the ACC

Illinois is a Big Ten conference surging defense...I think this center has what Pete likens to "grit". From his 2023 NFL Draft Profile:

C Olusegun Oluwatimi: Scouting Report Oluwatimi is strong, smart, and experienced. He’s an anchor in pass protection, allowing no sacks in the 2022 season with Michigan. The knock on Oluwatimi is that he doesn’t have great movement for teams that like to incorporate pull blocks with their interior linemen.

From Wikipedia:

Pulling is when a blocking player in American football leaves his usual spot in order to pick up another assignment on the opposite side of the field, running behind the other offensive linemen, to sprint out in front of a running back and engage a defensive player beyond the initial width of the offensive line.

I know we use our guards and tackles sometimes...but do our schemes use our center before in pulling?
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 01, 2023 3:25 pm

We would have to look at the McVay offenses to see if pulling Centers is a common thing. In previous iterations they had smaller IOL relative to their Tackles but this year they acquired a larger Guard. Pete has said he wants a shorter Center for leverage but that doesn’t mean they have to be lighter unless they also want the Center to pull. It might just be that it’s part of the Offense but not a staple of it and only used upon occasion. Or it could be that we haven’t had a Center who has been athletic enough.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Mon May 01, 2023 3:26 pm

This report from PFN Draft Profile seems to express the associated concerns for drafting Oluwatimi:

Oluwatimi’s tape is ultimately a tale of potential versus proven utility. He has a great deal of the latter, but his maximum ceiling may be a bit lower than other center prospects like Joe Tippmann and Luke Wypler.

Oluwatimi is a smart, assignment-sound blocker with good strength, power, density, and hand usage. He’s also mobile enough and efficient enough with his angles to be utilized in space.

But Oluwatimi also lacks elite traits to build around. He’s an above-average athlete at best, who lacks elite knock-back power, and at times struggles to fully load his base with his high-cut frame.

As long as Oluwatimi continues to iron out inconsistencies with his footwork and hands, he can develop into an above-average starter at the NFL level, with some versatility between gap and zone schemes. And he has the experience and necessary utility to provide quality depth in the immediate timeline.

At the right point outside the top 100, Oluwatimi could be a tremendous value addition, but his lower ceiling does detract from his stock, even in spite of his proven production.

So in a nutshell they seem to think he has been winning awards as an over-achiever...hmmm?? Keep "over-achieving! Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 01, 2023 4:51 pm

tarlhawk wrote:So in a nutshell they seem to think he has been winning awards as an over-achiever...hmmm?? Keep "over-achieving! Go Hawks

Sort of like how a quarterback who led his team to two consecutive national championships can last until the 4th round and 128th overall. Over achiever, maybe?

I like the selection, too, and once we got into the 5th round and still hadn't taken a center, he was the one I wanted. But let's not start high fiving just yet. Olu was the 154th player taken. There were 4 other centers taken by other teams, and that's not counting other OL's that could be converted to center. Are those 4 GM's/HC's a bunch of morons? Why did they pass on him? Are we so much smarter than they are?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon May 01, 2023 10:18 pm

Not every team needs a Center or upgrade so how many passed who had C as a priority isn’t known. We’ve needed one for years and I’m concerned that we will go one another fruitless search like we did for years looking for other OL. For how long has it been seemingly not considered a priority or at least not able to fix until possibly last year?
I really hope it works out.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue May 02, 2023 4:43 am

NorthHawk wrote:Not every team needs a Center or upgrade so how many passed who had C as a priority isn’t known. We’ve needed one for years and I’m concerned that we will go one another fruitless search like we did for years looking for other OL. For how long has it been seemingly not considered a priority or at least not able to fix until possibly last year?
I really hope it works out.

That's my point. As both of us have mentioned on a number of occasions, we haven't properly addressed the center position ever since we traded away Max Unger in 2015. As far as I know, this is the first pure center that we drafted with the intention of playing him at that position. Everyone else, ie Britt, Pocic, Blythe, et al, were drafted as a guard or tackle or a free agent backup at the end of his career. And now the best we can do to fill a position that is wide open with no returning starter and only center on the roster is a journeyman with a skinny resume is devote a 5th round draft pick to it?

As the saying goes, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and right now, we're very weak on the IOL.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue May 02, 2023 9:06 am

Isn't the only other pure Center we drafted since Unger Joey Hunt?
Considering the revolving door at that position, it's not really recognizing the issue and addressing it. It's been more like throw some bodies at it and make do.
I'm hoping this changes things for the longer term.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue May 02, 2023 9:32 am

NorthHawk wrote:Isn't the only other pure Center we drafted since Unger Joey Hunt?
Considering the revolving door at that position, it's not really recognizing the issue and addressing it. It's been more like throw some bodies at it and make do.
I'm hoping this changes things for the longer term.

Yeah, you're right about our drafting Hunt. He played nearly his entire career at center for TCU. But that was back in 2016, and he was a 6th round pick. We're not assigning a very high priority to the position.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Tue May 02, 2023 10:45 am

The reality is centers are undervalued similar to guards...Tyler Linderbaum was highly touted (also won the Rimington Award as best collegiate center in 2021...and because he was seen as best center in quite some time actually got drafted in 1rst round 2022 #25 by the Baltimore Ravens. Evan Brown will have to fend off Ulu before being relegated to back-up C/G...Joey Hunt probably fears a return to our practice squad as emergency/injury back-up. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue May 02, 2023 11:02 am

The Eagles really believe in being strong along both sides of the LoS and they took Cam Jorgensen, one of the best Centers in that draft even though they have All Pro Kelsey at the position but who’s near retirement. KC had 5 year veteran Austin Reiter at Center when they selected Creed Humphrey. So Centers aren’t universally underrated or under valued, but they are under publicized or hyped. Centers go in the late 1st or early 2nd every draft, so other teams don’t ignore the position to the degree that we have since 2015. Not having a viable replacement after trading Unger says all you need to know about how they view the position and we’ve been the lesser for it.
I hope their perception has changed.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sat May 20, 2023 6:31 am

Our team has focused a new light on roster construction since RW departed. His athleticism allowed him to overcome his lack of stature handicap so maybe our GM and O-line coaches felt the O-line was an area for cost saving while RW thrived...since Cap impact coupled with poor draft order leaves most teams trying to balance areas of financial focus. Whatever the reason for our change in philosophy/opportunity...Oluwatimi is often being lauded lately as a high value low drafted "gem" prospect who will push Evan Brown in camp to sharpen our O-line going forward as RB/WR weapons continue to accumulate for Geno. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat May 20, 2023 8:57 am

If that's how they thought of the OL then they are fools. If you have a team dependent upon the run then don't create a good OL, you're not going to be successful long term. Sure, with a mobile QB you can over look some slight deficiencies in pass blocking, but without a leader in the middle, over time it will be a failure. And we saw that after we lost Unger and how mediocre our Offense was even with Russ playing at a Pro Bowl level.
We just have to face the fact our FO wasted 5 years of superior QB play futzing about with the OL.
Maybe they woke up and realized that the OL really is the engine of the Offense.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Sat May 20, 2023 9:20 pm

The team targeted the center position as many expected, and they were in a position to take any of them. There were centers rated higher, but that is opinion, and our front office decided that Oluwatimi fit the bill. That they were able to get him as late as they did sounds to me like a steal. Have I ever been wrong? Why I remember when I...oh, well, I'll see myself out.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 21, 2023 3:41 am

Old but Slow wrote:The team targeted the center position as many expected, and they were in a position to take any of them. There were centers rated higher, but that is opinion, and our front office decided that Oluwatimi fit the bill. That they were able to get him as late as they did sounds to me like a steal. Have I ever been wrong? Why I remember when I...oh, well, I'll see myself out.

If Olu is a steal in the 6th, we weren't targeting him or the position. They would have taken him much higher.

You can say what you want about Olu fitting the bill, and who knows, he may turn out to be an All Pro. But the fact is that we've assigned a very low priority to the position.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun May 21, 2023 5:49 am

RiverDog wrote:If Olu is a steal in the 6th, we weren't targeting him or the position. They would have taken him much higher.

Olu was taken in the 5th (same round we got Tariq Woolen in) and Seattle picked value based on its draft board whether influenced by scouts or coaches the decisions time and again took value. Olu was kind of a low ceiling high floor guy while Woolen was seen as a low floor high ceiling type of guy. High floor almost defines "plug and play" while low floor is a project who needs coached up. Both "types" of players usually fall in the draft...we might have had higher centers on our board but higher value players remained ahead of where other teams gobbled them up so our draft didn't reflect need as much as it represented value. Only Charbonnet held value outside of most of the fan base posting and might be viewed as a "luxury" pick...but he just might prove to be the "expected" to give our draft class a respected high value on returns over the next few years as draft selections become re-visited.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 21, 2023 7:10 am

RiverDog wrote:If Olu is a steal in the 6th, we weren't targeting him or the position. They would have taken him much higher.

tarlhawk wrote:Olu was taken in the 5th (same round we got Tariq Woolen in) and Seattle picked value based on its draft board whether influenced by scouts or coaches the decisions time and again took value. Olu was kind of a low ceiling high floor guy while Woolen was seen as a low floor high ceiling type of guy. High floor almost defines "plug and play" while low floor is a project who needs coached up. Both "types" of players usually fall in the draft...we might have had higher centers on our board but higher value players remained ahead of where other teams gobbled them up so our draft didn't reflect need as much as it represented value. Only Charbonnet held value outside of most of the fan base posting and might be viewed as a "luxury" pick...but he just might prove to be the "expected" to give our draft class a respected high value on returns over the next few years as draft selections become re-visited.

My bad on the round Olu was taken in. Thanks for the correction.

But my point still stands: Olu was an opportunity pick, not a targeted player or position. And in addition to Charbonnet, it can be argued that JSN was a luxury/value pick as well, since unless we plan on using '11' personnel as our primary offense, something that would defeat the purpose of taking another running back as it's a passing offense and not run first, he's not going to start ahead of Metcalf and Lockett.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun May 21, 2023 7:36 am

I take it they were hoping he’d make it to the later rounds. Having the guy they picked up from Detroit probably gave them enough confidence to avoid drafting the position early. It’s definitely a gamble, one they’ve made before. Thinking early skill positions are more impactful a La Eskridge over Humphries. At least Olu has some legit chops on his resume for the position.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun May 21, 2023 7:37 am

Where Olu got selected doesn't define if he or the position was targeted...the position may have been targeted with many centers on our draft board but the draft didn't "fall" the way we expected or a higher valued player was selected allowing a "target" to "get away". Unless you know the composition of our draft board you can only speculate how our GM made his advised choices. In the end it doesn't matter...many players can play above their perceived value and selection...RW was targeted even though we had a highly paid Free Agent "in place". Perhaps Evan Brown is highly esteemed and Olu will have to "fight" to get a starting role. It's easier to define a "targeted" player or position when you use a high draft choice on that player...or trade up to get that player (Lockett/DK/DT...etc.)
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 21, 2023 7:41 am

But my point still stands: Olu was an opportunity pick, not a targeted player or position. And in addition to Charbonnet, it can be argued that JSN was a luxury/value pick as well, since unless we plan on using '11' personnel as our primary offense, something that would defeat the purpose of taking another running back as it's a passing offense and not run first, he's not going to start ahead of Metcalf and Lockett.

I'm not sure Olu was an opportunity pick. They may have had him higher on their board than the remaining players and we are in desperate need of a quality Center, and have been for a long time.
Regarding Charbonnet, it was a great pick and good strategy because we are always in need of quality RBs and the Offense, although having a high potential for a great passing game still runs through the run game. Without a solid run game our Offense really suffers. It's an added bonus that both McIntosh and Charbonnet are very good in the passing game as well. It's an added dimension we haven't had in a long long time.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun May 21, 2023 8:01 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote: At least Olu has some legit chops on his resume for the position.

His "legit chops" was my intent in making the post and "labeling" him as a "steal/gem" a player of higher value selected at a lower draft position. A younger leaning line needs strong communication on identifying the particular alignment the Defense is presenting for the play being called in the huddle Good leadership from the QB and Center helps get the O-line set quickly which allows more time to set pass protection adjustments based on identifying who the defensive "mike" is for example.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun May 21, 2023 8:29 am

If he becomes an effective starter he is very much a steal targeted or not. I really like pick, but I’m trying not to get my hopes up.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 21, 2023 9:18 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:If he becomes an effective starter he is very much a steal targeted or not. I really like pick, but I’m trying not to get my hopes up.

I agree, but even if Olu turns out to be an All Pro, it still doesn't change my point about the priority this regime places on the position.

You're wise not to get your hopes up that a 5th round draft pick is going to be the long-term answer to a problem that has existed ever since we traded away Max Unger 8 years ago.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sun May 21, 2023 9:29 am

I don't think we know whether he was targeted or that it wasn't a priority. We don't know their evaluations. They have talked a lot about "staying with their board", and perhaps based on their evaluation Tippman was a reach at 37 as was the other two centers drafted ahead of him. So at 154 he fit their board, or maybe they had him rated even with those guys....a lot of folks thought Wypler was #1 or #2, but they took Olu ahead of him.
Last edited by TriCitySam on Sun May 21, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun May 21, 2023 9:31 am

Your point and use of "this regime" lacks supporting substantive basis to rise above speculation. As the opinion of a fan its true and respected...I have just been accustomed to you using more reference when wanting to express an opinion more strongly.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 21, 2023 9:51 am

From the Cambridge Dictionary.
regime definition: 1. a particular government or a system or method of government: 2. a particular way of operating

But that's semantics. The facts are after we traded Unger we did not address the Center position until we drafted Hunt who was never a real starter. We had a series of sub par producers at that position and just slotted in former Guards and Tackles seemingly in the hopes that we could get by. It's formula that can't work long term as the Center position is critical for the OL to work smoothly and the IOL in particular.
Olu may or may not work out. Time will tell about him, however he does have the credentials at the lower levels to suggest that there is hope we might have found our long term answer at the position. But for all we know right now, Evan Brown might end up being that guy. It's good to have options.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun May 21, 2023 10:36 am

I wonder if their plan would have changed had they not picked up Evan Brown. That would have really driven it home had they waited until the 5th to pick a center when they basically had nobodies currently on the roster. Picking up Brown and then drafting Olu - a guy who played C his whole collegiate career with a long list of awards at a power 5 program - shows more attention to the position than seasons past. Should the situation not improve this season, I would hope they look to address it earlier in the 2024 draft.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 21, 2023 2:37 pm

tarlhawk wrote:Your point and use of "this regime" lacks supporting substantive basis to rise above speculation. As the opinion of a fan its true and respected...I have just been accustomed to you using more reference when wanting to express an opinion more strongly.

I'm not sure what the problem with my use of the term "regime" is as it's a pretty common expression. I am simply referring to our head coach and general manager.

We went into the offseason without a single center under contract. That's a fact, not an opinion. We signed one free agent who's only starts have come in relief of an injured player and has played for 4 teams in 5 years having never caught on. Another fact. We go into the draft with more draft capital than we have had in 12 years yet the best we can afford is a 5th round pick. Fact, not opinion.

Am I missing something?

Another fact to support my contention that PC/JS assign a low priority to the center position. Last season's low priority patchwork replacement, Austin Blythe, was ranked by PFF at #33 out of 36 centers that met the minimum snap count amongst centers:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/c

No wonder he retired.
Last edited by RiverDog on Sun May 21, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 21, 2023 2:49 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I wonder if their plan would have changed had they not picked up Evan Brown. That would have really driven it home had they waited until the 5th to pick a center when they basically had nobodies currently on the roster. Picking up Brown and then drafting Olu - a guy who played C his whole collegiate career with a long list of awards at a power 5 program - shows more attention to the position than seasons past. Should the situation not improve this season, I would hope they look to address it earlier in the 2024 draft.

I'm not sure what the attraction is with Evan Brown. He's a UDFA journeyman lineman who will be playing for his 5th team in 6 years and has bounced back and forth between active rosters and practice squads. He was released by the Giants, Dolphins, and Browns and has never won a starting job at either center or guard. His last team, the Lions, did not make him an offer.

And as North Hawk pointed out, the 'situation' hasn't improved since we traded Unger away in 2015.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun May 21, 2023 4:20 pm

I am not enamored with the guy; others may be. I’m noting that they think he’s a guy that can play the position and that may have influenced their approach to the draft. He’s had a few years to develop and he did start some games for the Lions last season. Remains to be seen if that means anything, and, like you said, they didn’t retain him.

I would say Britt was an improvement over what they were running out there between him and Unger, but, no, overall, they haven’t stabilized the position. Brown and Olu are an attempt to make it better. It’s a low bar to clear right now, so at least they have that going for them.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 21, 2023 4:40 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I am not enamored with the guy; others may be. I’m noting that they think he’s a guy that can play the position and that may have influenced their approach to the draft. He’s had a few years to develop and he did start some games for the Lions last season. Remains to be seen if that means anything, and, like you said, they didn’t retain him.

I would say Britt was an improvement over what they were running out there between him and Unger, but, no, overall, they haven’t stabilized the position. Brown and Olu are an attempt to make it better. It’s a low bar to clear right now, so at least they have that going for them.

Yeah, Britt wasn't a Pro Bowl center, but he wasn't a bum, either. But, he was drafted as a tackle then moved to guard before finally finding a home at center, so it's not as if they had a plan. It sometimes appears that they regard the interior OL positions as a fall back for busted tackles.

Ethan Pocic wasn't too bad, either, and he was a 2nd round pick, but that was 6 years ago. Ironically, Pocic, now the Browns starting center, was PFF's 3rd ranked center last season behind Creed Humphrey and Jason Kelce.

I'm not necessarily criticizing the regime in general nor am I claiming to know more about football than our HC and GM. Perhaps it's the correct course of action to use their limited resources on 2nd string running backs and #3 wide receivers and pick up centers out of the bargain basement. I'm simply pointing out a fact, that we do not regard interior OL, and centers in particular, very highly.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Sun May 21, 2023 5:32 pm

Britt was definitely a reactionary move. He definitely wasn’t part of the plan.

I forgot about Pocic. That would qualify as a legit move for a young quality guy drafted at center. He should have always been at center. Forgot who they were running instead while they plugged Pocic in at guard. I don’t know if he would have stayed had he always been at C, but I thought the hometown draw was a significant reason he went to Cleveland.

I too thought they would pull the trigger on a C earlier. I think the 2 picks you referenced were good picks and defensible, but C would have been just as much so.

I don’t take it as you criticizing them; just calling it how you see it. The interior has been a weak spot so their efforts have largely been stop gap. At some point, they have to get something better going.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 21, 2023 6:37 pm

Pocic was a Center in college and some thought he could be a pretty good Center at the pro level.
So naturally we drafted him and played him at Guard with a few chances at Center. Another team picked him up and surprise! he’s doing pretty well. At least he’s not a washout.
If you look at the players they plugged into the IOL over the course of the FOs tenure there’s an argument that they don’t know how to build an OL and the early years success was a result of the abilities of Marshawn. Production sure fell off a cliff when he moved on.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun May 21, 2023 6:54 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I don’t take it as you criticizing them; just calling it how you see it. The interior has been a weak spot so their efforts have largely been stop gap. At some point, they have to get something better going.

Thanks, my friend. It's simply an observation and nothing more. I'll let the results of the 2023 season speak to the critical aspect of it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun May 21, 2023 7:48 pm

Justin Britt was a 2nd rd pick who Tom Cable liked for his flexability. Unger last played the same year Britt was drafted (2014). Britt started at RT with a strength in run blocking. In 2015 Drew Nowack and Patrick Lewis shared center duties with Britt playing LG. 2016 Justin Britt won the Center position In 2017 Ethan Pocic was drafted in 2nd rd as a center (LSU) and played both guard spots due to injuries to Luke Joeckel (LG) and Oday Aboushi(RG) with Britt starting at center. 2018 had Britt starting with Pocic in limited O-line back up role. Justin Britt was only O-line rookie given a 2nd contract but was injured mid season in 2019 (torn ACL) Joey Hunt filled in to close 2019. Britt was well loved and respected as a 6 yr starter but got released in Apr 2020 with a failed physical designation. Ethan Pocic took over in 2020. College tackles often get shifted to guard if they are pass rush liabilities at tackle. Justin Britt did the uncommon double shift (RT-1 yr/LG-1 yr/C-4 yr) but was accomplished at center prior to being injured. The narrative that Seattle ignors its centers...with 2nd rd selections for Unger/Britt/Pocic...thats not ignoring...not every center can become All-Pro like Unger. Evan Brown becomes good C/G backup with only a 1 yr contract as incentive to hold off Ulu if he wants to start. Justin Britt was a solid center when Pocic was drafted in 2017 so him playing guard for injuries and backup in general is hardly not expected.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Sun May 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Max Unger was an unplanned loss who New Orleans Saints GM wanted when he surprised our GM during an ill fated phone call by "offering" Jimmy Grahm. So yes Patrick Lewis and Drew Nowack were not our planned centers in 2015 and Britt transitioned from his LG spot in 2015 as a "fix" for the center position which actually worked up till his 2019 injury.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun May 21, 2023 10:45 pm

The travesty of that trade was two fold.
1) They didn't have a viable replacement for Unger (and still haven't found a long term answer)
2) They tried to make Graham a complete TE which he never was nor saw himself as one. Only in the last year iirc did they really give up and start to use him as a big WR instead of an inline TE.
So we really got nothing out of that trade except long term lack of production at Center.
That they would draft players hoping that if they washed out at G or T then they could try them at Center says a lot about how they look at the position.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon May 22, 2023 3:04 am

NorthHawk wrote:The travesty of that trade was two fold.
1) They didn't have a viable replacement for Unger (and still haven't found a long term answer)
2) They tried to make Graham a complete TE which he never was nor saw himself as one. Only in the last year iirc did they really give up and start to use him as a big WR instead of an inline TE.
So we really got nothing out of that trade except long term lack of production at Center.
That they would draft players hoping that if they washed out at G or T then they could try them at Center says a lot about how they look at the position.

The travesty of the trade was three-fold. We also surrendered a 1st round and a 4th round draft pick. It was hugely expensive.
RiverDog
Legacy

Next

Return to Seahawks Forum