Fully guaranteed rookie contracts now?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Fully guaranteed rookie contracts now?

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu May 04, 2023 11:00 am

Looks like:

Adam Schefter
1h
·
Eagles’ DT Jalen Carter is now the first 2024 first-round pick to reach agreement, landing a four-year, fully-guaranteed $21,806,184 deal, per source. Deal negotiated by Drew Rosenhaus, Ryan Matha and Jason Rosenhaus with Eagles’ officials Howie Roseman, Jake Rosenberg and Bryce Johnston.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Fully guaranteed rookie contracts now?

Postby mykc14 » Thu May 04, 2023 12:30 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:
Adam Schefter
1h
·
Eagles’ DT Jalen Carter is now the first 2024 first-round pick to reach agreement, landing a four-year, fully-guaranteed $21,806,184 deal, per source. Deal negotiated by Drew Rosenhaus, Ryan Matha and Jason Rosenhaus with Eagles’ officials Howie Roseman, Jake Rosenberg and Bryce Johnston.

I might be wrong, but I thought most of the Rookie first round contracts have been fully guaranteed for a few years now. Anybody know about this for sure?
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu May 04, 2023 1:47 pm

I know salaries are slotted and there are some guarantees, but I’m not aware of fully guaranteed contracts for draftees. They are usually guaranteed for injury (some or all), but this contract sounds like it’s fully guaranteed even if he goes to jail or decides to walk away like Jamarcus Russell.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby mykc14 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:41 am

NorthHawk wrote:I know salaries are slotted and there are some guarantees, but I’m not aware of fully guaranteed contracts for draftees. They are usually guaranteed for injury (some or all), but this contract sounds like it’s fully guaranteed even if he goes to jail or decides to walk away like Jamarcus Russell.

I don't know, it looks like it may be all Rookie contracts fully guaranteed now.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023 ... -and-more/

"For the first time since the rookie wage scale was implemented in 2011, the entire contracts for all first-round picks were fully guaranteed. It had been the first 28 picks with fully guaranteed contracts in 2021. The deals for the final four picks of the first round were guaranteed for the first three years. A decreasing portion of the fourth-year base salary was guaranteed as those final picks progressed. The fully guaranteed contract precedent for first-round picks established in 2022 should be here to stay."
mykc14
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri May 05, 2023 9:54 am

Wow. That's good for the players who are drafted in the 1st round.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum