Russell Rejected 2 Trades...

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Russell Rejected 2 Trades...

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:30 pm

Interesting tidbit from PFT today that Russell used his 'no-trade' clause to stay with the Seahawks, not once, but twice before agreeing to go to Denver.
Those 2 teams were the Eagles and Commanders... Russell to the Eagles suggests the team didn't believe in Hurts very much. I wonder what they think about that now.

I doubt either of those trades were more beneficial to the Seahawks then Denver's package.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/02/report-eagles-wanted-russell-wilson-in-2022/
jshawaii22
Legacy

Re: Russell Rejected 2 Trades...

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:52 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Interesting tidbit from PFT today that Russell used his 'no-trade' clause to stay with the Seahawks, not once, but twice before agreeing to go to Denver.
Those 2 teams were the Eagles and Commanders... Russell to the Eagles suggests the team didn't believe in Hurts very much. I wonder what they think about that now.

I doubt either of those trades were more beneficial to the Seahawks then Denver's package.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/02/report-eagles-wanted-russell-wilson-in-2022/

Yep, I saw that. I knew that the Commanders were in the mix, but not the Eagles.

What made the Denver trade so sweet was the way they did a face plant in the following season. Although it's debatable whether or not the Eagles would have made the SB had Russell been their quarterback, they certainly wouldn't have done the type of belly flop that the Broncos did.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:01 pm

Wow, thats amazing!
obiken
Legacy

Postby govandals » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:52 am

Sure wish we knew what the other trade packages were. Maybe John had Philly and Washington in a bidding war that was greater than the Denver package. I'd bet Hurts was part of the Philly deal, that would have been real interesting. Let's not forget the year prior John had a deal in place to send Russ to the Bears but supposedly Pete nixed the deal. Considering Russ wanted to go to only Denver, it's amazing the capitol John got in return. The trade now reminds me of when Ken Griffey Jr want to go to Cincnnati only, I'd say the Hawks got way more value than the M's did.
govandals
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:50 am

govandals wrote:Sure wish we knew what the other trade packages were. Maybe John had Philly and Washington in a bidding war that was greater than the Denver package. I'd bet Hurts was part of the Philly deal, that would have been real interesting. Let's not forget the year prior John had a deal in place to send Russ to the Bears but supposedly Pete nixed the deal. Considering Russ wanted to go to only Denver, it's amazing the capitol John got in return. The trade now reminds me of when Ken Griffey Jr want to go to Cincnnati only, I'd say the Hawks got way more value than the M's did.

Pardon me for quoting my old man again, but it sure seems to apply here: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." I never did fully understand that saying, but it seems to mean not to find fault with unexpectedly good luck. It would be damn difficult to improve on the trade we made with Denver as it's shaping up as one of the most one-sided deals since the Herschel Walker trade some 35 years ago.

It's debatable whether or not Philly would have had as good of a season as they did with Russell Wilson as their QB, but I think it's fair to assume that they wouldn't have done the huge belly flop that the Broncos did last season. 5-12 is damn hard to beat. I'm happy as a lark with the way things turned out.

The Hawks had quite a bit of leverage in their trade negotiations with Denver. They had Russell under contract for 2 more years, not to mention the possibility of tagging him. In addition, it was clear that Russell had other teams he would have been willing to go to besides Denver, including the aforementioned Bears. But obviously, I agree that we got a very good deal.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby govandals » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:17 am

RiverDog wrote: In addition, it was clear that Russell had other teams he would have been willing to go to besides Denver,

I don't think this is correct. The 4 team trade list was the off season before. Everything I've read stated initially Russ was open to several teams, but when talks began, he narrowed it down to Denver only. I think even JS stated this in a press conference.
govandals
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:40 am

RiverDog wrote: In addition, it was clear that Russell had other teams he would have been willing to go to besides Denver,

govandals wrote:I don't think this is correct. The 4 team trade list was the off season before. Everything I've read stated initially Russ was open to several teams, but when talks began, he narrowed it down to Denver only. I think even JS stated this in a press conference.

At that point, you are likely correct. Everything I've read says that there were 3 teams in the mix in 2022: Eagles, Commanders, and Broncos. However, we still could have waited until 2023 to trade him, and then the list likely would have changed again.

In any case, it's water under the bridge. I'm glad that we took the deal that we did as we probably wouldn't have gotten much more than what the Broncos ponied up and odds are that neither team would have performed as badly at the Broncos did and yielded us such high draft picks.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:56 pm

It would be interesting to learn the time-line on this article. If JS knew that Russell had rejected the 2 teams BEFORE he negotiated with Denver, that makes him a genius negotiator. If he didn't know and found out only after giving Russell the options, then this became a bidding war for Russell and we came out the big winner (at least at this point).

The comment about Hurts being included in the trade.... I hadn't thought of that, but wow, that would of turned the NFL upside down...but only IF we saw the potential in him, or just looked at it like we did Lock, which is as a backup and he'd still be behind Geno. That's insane.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby trents » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:48 pm

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth." As we have transitioned as a culture from an agrarian society to primarily an industrial one, the meaning of that adage has been lost.

The first thing you would do when shopping for a horse would be to look in its mouth to check the wear on the animal's teeth. That was a quick and dirty way of estimating the horse's age. But if someone was giving you the horse for free and you did that you would insult them.
trents
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum