Geno Smith regression?? Not likely

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Geno Smith regression?? Not likely

Postby tarlhawk » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:41 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Oh, we're really counting on Lock to be the longer term answer? Let's risk losing him by letting him dangle in FA until mid march then only sign him to a one year team friendly deal and call it a big FA signing. Riiiiight.

Dre'Mont Jones and Jarran Reed signed on Mar 16...the same day Drew Lock agreed to terms and an eager John Schneider kicked off his 710 AM radio show plug by happily announcing their agreement...so hardly "dangled" or "risked". Geno needed signed first to give John a proper gage on what kinda cap room would be available and assess a priority to his pursuit. Lock was hardly a "team friendly" deal...he's being paid more as a back-up (4 million with 1.45 million signing bonus) than Geno got last year being our starter (Geno earned 3.5 million with a 500 K signing bonus)

It also doesn't sound like someone they are counting on for anything more than a stop gap backup.

Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider confirmed on his weekly radio spot that the team has re-upped with backup quarterback Drew Lock on a one-year contract. NFL insider Mike Garafolo says it’s a one-year deal for $4 million base salary and incentives that could take it up to $7.5 million. The incentives are should he become a starter for certain amount of games/yards/performance...so if he hits those incentive markers his salary jumps to 7.5 million just a shade under Miami 's starter (Tua's 7.6 million)

A 4 year contract would have stated something else, but a late 1 year contract then telling both QBs that they want to draft a QB early screams backup status and a short stay here if they can find a QB to replace him. The writing is clearly spelled out on the wall for those who want to read it.

John Schneider and Pete didn't say they want to draft a qb early...JS said once the season ended for the Seahawks he let Geno and Drew know that because we possessed such a high draft pick the possibility of selecting a QB was something to be considered ...not a foretelling that either of them were not being counted on.
So John's respectful courtesy to both of them is your take on "the writing's on the wall" (Do you write political commentary?...just kidding)

As far as Pete talking about Lock being the top QB in the 2022 class if he was in it? He was referring to how poor that draft class was, not how good Lock is and it is probably true because 2022 was an almost historically bad QB class.

Interesting where you select to use "He was..., not how good" and "it is probably true..." Only sounds like "personal spin"?

Geno got a 3 year deal with some easy outs for little money (relative to the QB salaries) and he was told they wanted to draft a QB early as well.
Those actions of our FO are telling the NFL world that they want a young QB and aren't satisfied or don't trust long term who we have at the moment either starting or as a backup.

Well at least we've established this as only your "opinion" of "telling the NFL world/aren't satisfied/don't trust"...not any actual reflection of what our front office puts out to the press covering our team.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:40 pm

Dre'Mont Jones and Jarran Reed signed on Mar 16...the same day Drew Lock agreed to terms and an eager John Schneider kicked off his 710 AM radio show plug by happily announcing their agreement...so hardly "dangled" or "risked".

You've got to be a comedian. If you value something you don't let others have a chance to take it for months, do you? Therefore he isn't really in the future outside of a backup until they can find a young QB to develop.

John Schneider and Pete didn't say they want to draft a qb early...JS said once the season ended for the Seahawks he let Geno and Drew know that because we possessed such a high draft pick the possibility of selecting a QB was something to be considered ...not a foretelling that either of them were not being counted on.

Apparently you think that if a team is looking to replace a player then they value the replaceable player for the long term. puullleeeeze!

Well at least we've established this as only your "opinion" of "telling the NFL world/aren't satisfied/don't trust"...not any actual reflection of what our front office puts out to the press covering our team.

And you apparently believe everything teams say without further thought.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:37 am

NorthHawk wrote:
You've got to be a comedian. If you value something you don't let others have a chance to take it for months, do you? Therefore he isn't really in the future outside of a backup until they can find a young QB to develop.

You don't know this for certain. I think they'll keep up the one-year deals to Lock unless a draft prospect wows them. This would be a good faith move towards Lock. Lock will have the choice to shop around for a starting gig elsewhere, and, if he doesn't find it, or doesn't find a situation to his liking, he can sit behind Geno and wait for his shot here. Geno's revival may give the Pete and John the idea the Lock could potentially do the same.

NorthHawk wrote:
Apparently you think that if a team is looking to replace a player then they value the replaceable player for the long term. puullleeeeze!

Perhaps not long term, but a few seasons is certainly possible. If the price continues to be right, there's not really a downside to retaining Lock even on a year-by-year basis.

NorthHawk wrote:
And you apparently believe everything teams say without further thought.

There's other possibilities other than your take as well.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:15 pm

I tend to agree with North Hawk on this one. I see no evidence, either in terms of our contract offerings or his use on the field, that our brain trust considers Drew Lock as anything more than a backup quarterback.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:36 pm

Drew Lock is a backup at best.

I'm certain John is scouting around for the next QB. They didn't like many of the 2023 draft options, though I think they would have taken Stroud had he fallen to them. None of others were what they want.

Probably draft a QB next year. Follow the plan if the defense and offense are ready, draft the QB last so you can sign the high performing defense and offense guys then insert the QB, keep them on the cheap before they eat the salary cap to make a great team around them.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:25 am

You don't know this for certain. I think they'll keep up the one-year deals to Lock unless a draft prospect wows them. This would be a good faith move towards Lock. Lock will have the choice to shop around for a starting gig elsewhere, and, if he doesn't find it, or doesn't find a situation to his liking, he can sit behind Geno and wait for his shot here. Geno's revival may give the Pete and John the idea the Lock could potentially do the same.

The discussion, as I saw it centered around whether they really valued Lock or not as the future starting QB. I cannot recall any team ever not immediately signing a QB who they think is the QBOTF as he would have to be if the plan is to let him sit behind Geno and learn the position. The starting caliber QBs are so rare that they almost never get to FA, yet we let him sit in FA until mid March where any other team could sign him. We also only signed him to a 1 year backup deal. As well, the FO told him they might draft a QB that would replace him in a couple of years. Teams just don't let players, let along QBs hit FA who they see as the future. So from what I see, the writing is on the wall that he will be replaced when we find another QB who can be that QBOTF. The dots connect pretty well in this case.

There's other possibilities other than your take as well.

I've given my reasons for why I think that he's not in their future plans. What are your reasons to think he is? Maybe it will change my mind.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:36 am

And I gave my reasons for how he might be included in the future plans.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:
Perhaps not long term, but a few seasons is certainly possible. If the price continues to be right, there's not really a downside to retaining Lock even on a year-by-year basis.

I can't speak definitively on the FO motivations any more than anybody else on this board, but it wouldn't surprise me if they try to keep Lock on a year-by-year basis if the price is right assuming Geno is doing well enough to play out his contract . It's very little risk and effort to keep a good relationship with Lock; i.e., they let him test the waters each season while having an affordable one-year deal on the table. They may not see a QB they like next draft or miss on getting the one they want.

I'm not saying Lock could be a franchise type QB. At best, he becomes Geno 2.0 while the Seahawks build a super talented team around him. Would fit with a mentality of not setting yourself up for a $50+ million QB if that's in fact a way they decide to go. Again, I'm talking plausible courses of action. I'd be equally not surprised if Lock moves on.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:02 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I can't speak definitively on the FO motivations any more than anybody else on this board, but it wouldn't surprise me if they try to keep Lock on a year-by-year basis if the price is right assuming Geno is doing well enough to play out his contract . It's very little risk and effort to keep a good relationship with Lock; i.e., they let him test the waters each season while having an affordable one-year deal on the table. They may not see a QB they like next draft or miss on getting the one they want.

That's what you do with backup-type QB's, keep them on cheap and short term. That way, if a franchise QB does come along that they don't want to start right away, they'll be very easy to jettison and make room for the new QBOTF.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:I'm not saying Lock could be a franchise type QB. At best, he becomes Geno 2.0 while the Seahawks build a super talented team around him. Would fit with a mentality of not setting yourself up for a $50+ million QB if that's in fact a way they decide to go. Again, I'm talking plausible courses of action. I'd be equally not surprised if Lock moves on.

Not with you so much, but I don't get the fascination with Drew Lock. At least with Geno, there was a small body of work to buoy the optimism, but what the heck has Lock ever done to warrant such status as a potential QBOTF? Sure, Pete, like he does with a lot of his players as a means of motivating them, talked him up after the RW trade with his laughable claim that he would have been the "first guy picked, of quarterbacks anyway," in last year's draft, completely ignoring his performance in his stint with the Broncos, but there hasn't been anything else that would indicate that the Hawks consider him to be anything but a backup, not to mention North Hawk's valid point about the contract we signed him to.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:20 am

He hasn't done anything yet; Geno didn't have a whole lot to his name either. He had monster game several years ago against the Dolphins and then nothing until his short relief stint in 2021. For sure, any talk that he's already there and just waiting in the wings isn't supported.

For my part, he's potential and at least a backup with some live starts under his belt that they'll keep around if the price is right. If he starts costing more than 1-year back up money, then he's gone.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:48 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:He hasn't done anything yet; Geno didn't have a whole lot to his name either. He had monster game several years ago against the Dolphins and then nothing until his short relief stint in 2021. For sure, any talk that he's already there and just waiting in the wings isn't supported.

For my part, he's potential and at least a backup with some live starts under his belt that they'll keep around if the price is right. If he starts costing more than 1-year back up money, then he's gone.

Agreed.

But I don't think we'll have to worry about Lock costing too much. He had ample opportunity to test the free agent market this year and didn't get any offers above what we had on the table. The only way that changes is if, heaven forbid, Geno sustains a serious injury and forces Lock into a starting role for a significant part of the season and does well. Outside of that, all anyone is likely to see of him is in a few preseason games. He didn't play a single snap in the regular season last year.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:26 pm

NorthHawk wrote:

You've got to be a comedian. If you value something you don't let others have a chance to take it for months, do you?

Months? Do you even know when free agency begins?? Sounds like you've convinced some other posters so I'll respond.

The tag period is from Feb. 21 to 4 p.m. ET on March 7. A player must be tagged — or agree to a contract extension — before then to avoid becoming a free agent. At 4 p.m. ET, all 2022 player contracts expire.

In 2013, the NFL wanted to crack down on pre-free agency tampering by introducing the legal tampering period. In its essence, it is a 52-hour window during which all pending unrestricted free agents are allowed to enter preliminary contract negotiations with clubs all over the league. Previously, they were only allowed to talk to their own teams until the start of free agency.

Legal tampering period: March 13-15
Start of 2023 NFL free agency: 4 p.m. ET March 15

What does this all mean?

2022 player contracts expire March 7 (4 PM). Anyone not extended then enters unrestricted free agency.

No team can tamper (make offers/negotiate) with such players till 13 March then on Mar 15 (4 PM) NFL free agency started in earnest.

Dre'Mont Jones and Jarran Reed were signed 16 Mar...same day JS announced Drew Lock had agreed to terms...done deal...so for the "sake of argument" we took a chance during the 3 days (not months) Mar 13-15 of Drew being contacted.

The priority for John Schneider was to get Geno signed first which is why Mar 7th prior to the 4 PM deadline Geno was signed to a 3 year extension.

Drew now understands our playbook and all of its "installments" but because of Geno's stellar year and getting Covid last year just when he was to be given a "prove it pre-season game" (Chicago Bears) ...Drew is content to wait as next man up. His "back-up" contract pays him more money than the contract Geno signed and played under last year...not really "chop liver" when John needs every cap dollar he can scrape. I admit speculation and I'm quite comfortable with that. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:13 am

tarlhawk wrote:Drew now understands our playbook and all of its "installments" but because of Geno's stellar year and getting Covid last year just when he was to be given a "prove it pre-season game" (Chicago Bears) ...Drew is content to wait as next man up. His "back-up" contract pays him more money than the contract Geno signed and played under last year...not really "chop liver" when John needs every cap dollar he can scrape. I admit speculation and I'm quite comfortable with that. Go Hawks

Lock's contract is for 1 year, $4M. The contract that Geno signed last year was for 1 year, $3.5M. When you take into account that the salary cap increased by 8%, the two contracts are virtually the same and while it's not "chopped liver", it's about what you'd expect for a veteran backup.

Although every game counts, Lock's "prove it" game in the preseason last year wasn't necessarily the Bears game. He played in two of the three preseason games, did relatively well vs. the Steelers until late in the 4th quarter in a tie game when he missed an obvious blitz which led to a strip sack turnover, setting the Steelers up at midfield and allowed them to go on a game winning drive. I heard a number of people say that this was the same type of problem he had in Denver.

Since he missed the Bears game, Pete gave him more work than he otherwise would have had in our last preseason game vs. the Cowboys, unquestionably Lock's "prove it" game. He played horribly, going 13-24 for 171 yards with 1 TD and 3 INT's. It was after this game that Pete named Geno the starter for the season opener, pretty much a no brainer after what Lock showed in his two preseason appearances and his well-documented struggles with the Broncos.

It wasn't Covid that robbed Lock of a chance to win the starting job. It would have taken a heck of a performance vs. the Bears to have offset the brain fart vs. the Steelers and the horrid performance vs. the Cowboys for Lock to have beaten out Geno. Even Pete said that Geno had an advantage because he had familiarity with the system and the players, so Lock would have had to have been clearly better than Geno to have won the starting job.

That's why I don't get your fascination with Drew Lock. He was a bust in Denver, essentially a toss in on the RW trade as it was likely that the Broncos were going to cut him anyway. He showed us next to nothing last year as he didn't take a single snap in the regular season. We brought him back this year as a backup QB because he knows our system and our players and we don't need the roster spot for an heir apparent. Sure, he has potential as he's very athletic and has an elephant gun arm, but outside of that, he hasn't given us any indication that he has a future with us beyond that of a backup QB.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:11 am

RiverDog wrote:Lock's contract is for 1 year, $4M. The contract that Geno signed last year was for 1 year, $3.5M. When you take into account that the salary cap increased by 8%, the two contracts are virtually the same and while it's not "chopped liver", it's about what you'd expect for a veteran backup.
Although every game counts, Lock's "prove it" game in the preseason last year wasn't necessarily the Bears game.

Although every game counts, Lock's "prove it" game in the preseason last year wasn't necessarily the Bears game. He played in two of the three preseason games, did relatively well vs. the Steelers until late in the 4th quarter in a tie game when he missed an obvious blitz which led to a strip sack turnover, setting the Steelers up at midfield and allowed them to go on a game winning drive.
Since he missed the Bears game, Pete gave him more work than he otherwise would have had in our last preseason game vs. the Cowboys, unquestionably Lock's "prove it" game. He played horribly, going 13-24 for 171 yards with 1 TD and 3 INT's. It was after this game that Pete named Geno the starter for the season opener, pretty much a no brainer after what Lock showed in his two preseason appearances and his well-documented struggles with the Broncos.

It wasn't Covid that robbed Lock of a chance to win the starting job.

That's why I don't get your fascination with Drew Lock. He was a bust in Denver, essentially a toss in on the RW trade as it was likely that the Broncos were going to cut him anyway. He showed us next to nothing last year as he didn't take a single snap in the regular season. We brought him back this year as a backup QB because he knows our system and our players and we don't need the roster spot for an heir apparent. Sure, he has potential as he's very athletic and has an elephant gun arm, but outside of that, he hasn't given us any indication that he has a future with us beyond that of a backup QB.

I see you remember it like most fans. First it was supposed to be an honest "competition" yet Pete must have felt Drew had the moxy to win it at a disadvantage of hardly no time practicing or playing with the "ones" until his "golden opportunity" in the Dallas game. Not identifying the "hot" read in a Pittsburgh game and resetting your pass pro happens...last year it happened with Geno and quickly results in a sack usually...but blind side hits can strip the ball with the defender having the clear advantage.

As for the Dallas game (and Covid not playing a role) you must have missed Pete acknowledging that Drew was still physically drained from Covid...he didn't just catch a "little Covid" he was floored by it despite being young (he shoulda just shook it off...anyone recovering from full covid knows the recovery is seldom full for awhile).

Still Drew doesn't need excuses...he lost to a determined Geno who already had the advantages you noted. I am glad for Geno which was the subject of my post but Drew provided the assurance that if somehow we missed on landing one of the top two QB while being "stuck" at number 5 JS and Pete believe our QB room is just fine.

As for his pay the 4 million plus 3.5 million starting incentives was enough to quickly keep Drew in place (not lured away) since he knows how good Geno has it with the offense and structure the team is providing in support. Geno is living the dream with the offense surrounding him...and Lock is patient he can excel once given the chance. Go Geno Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:55 am

tarlhawk wrote:I see you remember it like most fans. First it was supposed to be an honest "competition" yet Pete must have felt Drew had the moxy to win it at a disadvantage of hardly no time practicing or playing with the "ones" until his "golden opportunity" in the Dallas game. Not identifying the "hot" read in a Pittsburgh game and resetting your pass pro happens...last year it happened with Geno and quickly results in a sack usually...but blind side hits can strip the ball with the defender having the clear advantage.

There's a reason why I remember it "like most fans" as that's the way it happened. And yes, missing hot reads happens, but not very often to veteran quarterbacks that have played as much football as Drew Lock. And it wasn't just that he missed the read. Lock locked onto his receiver and failed to glance to his left/blindside as he dropped back to see if the LB was coming. Had he done so, he could have been able to either unloaded the ball or rolled away from the blitz. It's the kind of mistake that would be unforgivable had it happened in a regular season game, and according to some of the people I talked to, was the type of mistake he was making with the Broncos.

tarlhawk wrote:As for the Dallas game (and Covid not playing a role) you must have missed Pete acknowledging that Drew was still physically drained from Covid...he didn't just catch a "little Covid" he was floored by it despite being young (he shoulda just shook it off...anyone recovering from full covid knows the recovery is seldom full for awhile).

To his credit, Pete's always going to make excuses for his players when they perform poorly regardless of whether or not it's a valid reason. It's one of those things where you praise in public and criticize in private. As far as 'anyone' recovering from Covid, a young, healthy, highly conditioned professional athlete is going to recover from it a lot faster and with fewer effects than if it happened to you or me, so "anyone's" experience with Covid is irrelevant. Who knows how affected or unaffected he was.

tarlhawk wrote:Still Drew doesn't need excuses...he lost to a determined Geno who already had the advantages you noted. I am glad for Geno which was the subject of my post but Drew provided the assurance that if somehow we missed on landing one of the top two QB while being "stuck" at number 5 JS and Pete believe our QB room is just fine.

As for his pay the 4 million plus 3.5 million starting incentives was enough to quickly keep Drew in place (not lured away) since he knows how good Geno has it with the offense and structure the team is providing in support. Geno is living the dream with the offense surrounding him...and Lock is patient he can excel once given the chance. Go Geno Go Hawks

Geno won the competition fair and square. All things considered, he was clearly the smart choice. Even though he was at a disadvantage, Lock still had his chance. Catching Covid is no different than getting injured. Heck, think of what might have happened if Matt Flynn hadn't injured his shoulder when he was competing with Russell a few years back.

I don't think there was too much risk of Lock being 'lured away' by another team. There's only a handful of teams that would have been interested and he was unsigned long enough for one of them to have made a run at him. He's not that valuable of a commodity, which is why the Broncos included him in on the trade in the first place.

I wouldn't make the assumption that Pete and John think our QB room is 'just fine.' Given the terms in both Geno's contract as well as Lock's, they are obviously keeping their options open. Fine for now might be a better way to put it.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:45 am

RiverDog wrote:There's a reason why I remember it "like most fans" as that's the way it happened. It's the kind of mistake that would be unforgivable had it happened in a regular season game...

I saw Geno make the same "mistake" last year but he avoided coughing up the ball...hardly an unforgivable mistake.

To his credit, Pete's always going to make excuses for his players when they perform poorly regardless of whether or not it's a valid (full blown Covid validity?...really?) reason. It's one of those things where you praise in public and criticize in private. As far as 'anyone' recovering from Covid, a young, healthy, highly conditioned professional athlete is going to recover from it a lot faster and with fewer effects than if it happened to you or me, so "anyone's" experience with Covid is irrelevant. Who knows how affected or unaffected he was...

Pete said Drew was in an awful physical condition given the length of time he was allowed to play. Your summation of "a lot faster and with fewer effects" is definitely speculation on your part.

Geno won the competition fair and square. All things considered, he was clearly the smart choice. Even though he was at a disadvantage, Lock still had his chance. Catching Covid is no different than getting injured. Heck, think of what might have happened if Matt Flynn hadn't injured his shoulder when he was competing with Russell a few years back.

The difference is an injury often prevents playing (depending on severity).

... There's only a handful of teams that would have been interested and he was unsigned long enough for one of them to have made a run at him. He's not that valuable of a commodity, which is why the Broncos included him in on the trade in the first place.

He was only "unsigned" for the 3 day tampering allowed during Mar13-15 ...hardly "long enough" whether he drew (almost a pun) any attention
or not since JS had his attention engaged in the details to reach agreement on the 16th.
Schneider says he asked for Drew...not that Drew was a "throw in"

...Given the terms in both Geno's contract as well as Lock's, they are obviously keeping their options open. ...

Geno's and Drew's contracts just represent JS GM approach to keeping Back up QB on 1 year tethers knowing if they start and do well he has until Mar 7th to get an extension deal done before "exposing them to free agency". His reluctance to drawing up binding long time contracts whether QB or at safety is probably (my own speculation) has been shaped by "recent" events that didn't turn out well whether being spurned by the signed player (RW) or the ever present risk of serious injury...3 yr contracts will probably become his default "norm"

Enjoy your comments Riv. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:28 am

RiverDog wrote:To his credit, Pete's always going to make excuses for his players when they perform poorly regardless of whether or not it's a valid reason. It's one of those things where you praise in public and criticize in private. As far as 'anyone' recovering from Covid, a young, healthy, highly conditioned professional athlete is going to recover from it a lot faster and with fewer effects than if it happened to you or me, so "anyone's" experience with Covid is irrelevant. Who knows how affected or unaffected he was.

tarlhawk wrote:full blown Covid validity?...really?

Yes, really.

Who said that it was "full blown Covid"? What's the difference between "full blown Covid" and the garden variety Covid? I'm no doctor, but I know enough about the disease that the symptoms can vary widely from person to person and that a young, healthy person is much less likely to experience severe symptoms than an older or less fit individual.

My point is that you're taking Pete's word, and we all know that, like all good coaches, managers, parents, etc, what he tells us fans can be less than accurate as he doesn't want to call out or embarrass one of his players in public.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:14 pm

As you acknowledge the Covid response varies by age and individual...with full blown being the response is like being "floored" with slow recovery of good strong breathing and longer periods of fatigue...while your garden variety (your phrase...not mine) would "test positive" without feeling overwhelmed with fatigue or difficulty breathing. Both Drew Lock and Tyler Lockett were hit harder than some athletes experience...so time needed to pass before they could exert themselves fully. Many people assume Covid is "scary" only to our aged population or people at risk from compromised immune systems...but the young are not a given for less risk...just less likely to encounter life threatening symptoms...some youth can get permanent loss of lung capacity and some people stricken with Covid can suffer from long term Covid...it's a virus thats had some of its lethality reduced but still not something to be taken as lightly as a more common virus/flu. Sounds like Hawktawk suffered from a more difficult response to it...I wish him well.

I don't suspect Pete would talk lightly of one of his players experiencing Covid symptoms like Lockett and Lock endured.
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:29 pm

tarlhawk wrote:As you acknowledge the Covid response varies by age and individual...with full blown being the response is like being "floored" with slow recovery of good strong breathing and longer periods of fatigue...while your garden variety (your phrase...not mine) would "test positive" without feeling overwhelmed with fatigue or difficulty breathing. Both Drew Lock and Tyler Lockett were hit harder than some athletes experience...so time needed to pass before they could exert themselves fully. Many people assume Covid is "scary" only to our aged population or people at risk from compromised immune systems...but the young are not a given for less risk...just less likely to encounter life threatening symptoms...some youth can get permanent loss of lung capacity and some people stricken with Covid can suffer from long term Covid...it's a virus thats had some of its lethality reduced but still not something to be taken as lightly as a more common virus/flu. Sounds like Hawktawk suffered from a more difficult response to it...I wish him well.

I don't suspect Pete would talk lightly of one of his players experiencing Covid symptoms like Lockett and Lock endured.

I'll mention one more thing about Lock and Covid then close my remarks on it as it's a little silly to be arguing about it.

IMO the fact that Lock contracted Covid during the preseason was not a major factor in his failure to beat out Geno for the starting job. His turnovers, which were the primary cause of his troubles in Denver, were shown in the preseason to still be a problem with the strip sack fumble in the first preseason game BEFORE he contracted Covid and the three interceptions and 54% completion percentage in the Dallas game is what did him in. It's unfortunate for him as he may never get a chance to start another NFL game.

I, too, wish Hawktawk well. I feel somewhat responsible for his departure. Had I known that he was going to be that sensitive to criticism I wouldn't have said a thing to him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:35 pm

Sorry I've been AWOL a lot due to work/life....what happened with HT? He was/is one of my favorite characters here.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:51 pm

I-5 wrote:Sorry I've been AWOL a lot due to work/life....what happened with HT? He was/is one of my favorite characters here.

I guess I'm partly to blame. HT made a rather brash comment about how Geno was going to make us all eat crow again, and a couple of others and I interpreted it as HT saying he was going to make us eat crow, so several of us asked him not to brag about being right as he had last season. It set him off big time, essentially claiming that he was being picked on. I also think that his stance on Russell Wilson, his going well over the line and saying some pretty nasty, personal stuff about him, drew a lot of criticism from some of us that likely had a cumulative effect on him.

HT was one of my favorite characters in here, too, but if he's that thin skinned, it's probably best that he takes a break. He's admitted to some of us that he does suffer from some emotional problems. Hopefully he's OK.

BTW, it's good to see you again. You're also one of my favorite characters in here. :D
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum