How about our TE group?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

How about our TE group?

Postby tarlhawk » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:57 am

How about those Tight Ends?

In this modern NFL the TE traditional role as an in-line blocker for the running game or the "extra" help for the Right Tackle in Pass Pro sets has evolved more into that "sneaky" WR4 type able to light up the seam route.

Seattle is blessed with all 3 of our TE being a mix/blend of tradition and current times. Fant leans more to the sneaky seam buster type while Dissly leans heavily on blocking assignments. Colby Parkinson is emerging as a blend with a specialty as a Red Zone option to DK once our offense is in striking range.

Last year it was the "Uncle Will" show as he caught 3 TD in the first 4 games. His injury opened the door for Colby to emerge while putting Fant back as our TE TD maker down the stretch.

The good news is once again we have all 3 of them back to fully utilize our 12 personnel formations. Dissly didn't need surgery...just suffered through a long recovery. He has looked sharp and healthy in early camp...without the pads on.

Adding JSN to our WR corps might make it even easier for Noah Fant to roam free and wild in LB/Safety territory.
Colby Parkinson (like Noah Fant) is in a contract year and needs to fully bloom to keep the TE relevant in 12 personnel.

Most of our pre season banter has concerned every positional group...other than our TE's...so their role/impact on our 2023 offense is akin to a "sleeping giant" Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Re: How about our TE group?

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:28 am

My favorite tight end is Will Dissly, but he's been bitten by the injury bug. He's the most complete tight end of the group, showing very good receiving skills while being by far the best blocker of the group. He compares favorably to Zach Miller, who in my opinion was the best TE that we've had in team history, ironically suffering from the injury bug like Dissly has during his relatively short career.

This will be Parkinson's make or break season. Fant is one dimensional, a good receiver but a very weak blocker. I don't expect us to bring him back in 2024.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:18 am

Fant and Parkinson are FA's after this year and Dissly has 2023 as his last year on his current contract.
I would expect that we would be looking for a TE in the next draft, but this year if we get hit by injuries we might be looking at unsigned FAs or a trade.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Old but Slow » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:29 pm

Parkinson may be ready for a breakout. He played well at the end of the season, showing improvement throughout. With his size and athleticism he could become a #1 guy.

Personally, I think the TE position is in good hands.
Old but Slow
Legacy

Postby Oly » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:07 am

I love the depth of the group, but there isn't anyone I see as a potential Pro Bowler. I'm fine with that; I've just made my peace with TE being the least-valued position in Pete's offense. If Dissly can stay healthy, then that kind of solid, well-rounded TE is just fine. The other guys are athletic enough to provide the occasional receiving weapon, even if I do wish they were better blockers. But that's nitpicking an otherwise good group.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:52 am

In the Shanahan/McVay and now Waldron Offense, the TE can be a big producer. Just think Kittle in SF. Pete's old Offense used a TE like in the '80s as an in line blocker and safety valve. Today's offenses want to use them more as big WRs and if they can also block then it's a huge bonus.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 am

NorthHawk wrote:In the Shanahan/McVay and now Waldron Offense, the TE can be a big producer. Just think Kittle in SF. Pete's old Offense used a TE like in the '80s as an in line blocker and safety valve. Today's offenses want to use them more as big WRs and if they can also block then it's a huge bonus.

In my opinion, George Kittle is the best tight end in the game. He's every bit the receiver that Travis Kelce is and would be putting up similar stats if he were playing in Andy Reid's offense with a dynamic quarterback like Mahomes throwing to him. But Kittle is a much better blocker.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:41 am

I think Kelce plays with more finesse and Kittle plays with more violence. I'd take either one in a heartbeat.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:57 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think Kelce plays with more finesse and Kittle plays with more violence. I'd take either one in a heartbeat.

Agreed on both counts.

One of the things about tight ends is that they seem to do best when they're playing for a scrambling quarterback like Kelce is with Mahomes or Mark Andrews is with Lamar Jackson. I can remember how big of a security blanket Zach Miller was for Russell Wilson in those early days. My guess is that they so often times start out blocking, the defense assumes they're not a receiving target, then they release when the play breaks down and the quarterback begins to scramble.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:24 am

I think are TE's are mutantly Bad River. Hope I am wrong.
obiken
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:44 am

obiken wrote:I think are TE's are mutantly Bad River. Hope I am wrong.

I disagree. IMO we're not in a bad position with our tight ends. When he's healthy, Dissly is a top 10 TE, Fant is a very good receiving TE, and Parkinson showed some promise and could be poised for a breakout year. It's not the strongest position group on our team, but it's not the weakest, either.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby obiken » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:15 pm

RiverDog wrote:I disagree. IMO we're not in a bad position with our tight ends. When he's healthy, Dissly is a top 10 TE, Fant is a very good receiving TE, and Parkinson showed some promise and could be poised for a breakout year. It's not the strongest position group on our team, but it's not the weakest, either.

Okay!
obiken
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:35 am

Our team's view (from a GM perspective) of Noah Fant's value has already been reflected in the rare designation of John's willingness to pay for the risky (fully guaranteed) 5th year option that Noah Fant was paid. 2023 will only be the 2nd year Geno has him as a "go to" seam buster weapon. The key to our GM's trust in Fant's value will be reflected in whether he or Uchenna (or both) get some cap saving structured extensions to increase our very tight current cap situation. Go Noah. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:54 am

I'm of the view that the trade forced us to use the 5th year option for Fant rather than a desire to do it had we selected him.
But he is in his contract year so if he doesn't perform above last year, I can see us move on and not give hm a 2nd contract considering the Cap implications.
As always, a lot depends on the players view of his worth and if the teams view is close. If not, we probably move on.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:26 am

NorthHawk wrote:I'm of the view that the trade forced us to use the 5th year option for Fant rather than a desire to do it had we selected him.
But he is in his contract year so if he doesn't perform above last year, I can see us move on and not give hm a 2nd contract considering the Cap implications.
As always, a lot depends on the players view of his worth and if the teams view is close. If not, we probably move on.

A lot will depend on how Dissly and Parkinson perform. If they play well, I can see us moving on from Fant.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:54 am

Surprised by some of the brush back on Noah Fant. Big bodied men who combine speed with sure hands (only dropped 1 pass last year) are a rare talent. DK is beginning to un-tap the threat his size and speed represents with improved route running skills...he is much more than just a threat on a deep post or a Go Route.

Jimmy Grahm certainly didn't earn any repute for laying on any devastating blocks but as a wide bodied threat playing out of the TE position he presented many mismatches in coverage...LB and Box safeties are never confused with the coverage provided by a "shutdown" cornerback who has his hands full already with any of your WR targets.

Noah is not Jimmy Grahm but Noah Fant is that kind of TE type who offers coverage mismatches ...that often bails out a flushed from the pocket QB ...or even as a "check down read" by the QB. Go Noah. Go Hawks
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:09 pm

A lot will depend on how much money he wants and how much the FO thinks he's worth. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them take a hard stand and have him get a better offer elsewhere.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby tarlhawk » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:10 pm

A Cap saving extension depending on the contract's structure might be a GM option...just saying
tarlhawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:35 am

If they value him. They seem to like the blocking TEs better than the pass catching TEs as shown by re-signing Dissly but the Peteball Offense of the past didn't throw much to the TE's.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum