Training Camp starts July 25th!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Training Camp starts July 25th!

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:34 am

Here's a link from NFL.com that discusses the Seahawks and some of their players. It also includes player changes and camp storylines among other things

https://www.nfl.com/news/seattle-seahaw ... -additions
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Training Camp starts July 25th!

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:14 am

Thanks for the link. It's a sure sign that summer is on the way out and autumn is right around the corner. I'm starving for some football!
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:51 pm

Cool. Real football getting ready to start.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:19 pm

Looking forward to it. This year's team looks to be better than last year's. If they improve from last year, it should be fun to watch.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:58 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Looking forward to it. This year's team looks to be better than last year's. If they improve from last year, it should be fun to watch.

I'm excited to see our rookies, excited to see if Pete's going to be able to get this defense turned around, if Geno can duplicate the season he had last year. I'll be watching the battle at the center position.

However, I'm intentionally moderating my expectations as I always do. My feeling is that we're looking at another .500ish season, that the weakness up the middle on both units will keep us from taking that next step.

There's also a lot of drama being played out within our own division and conference, in particular, the Niners.

Fall is my favorite time of year for several reasons, with football being a large part of that equation.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:52 am

Agree with all of this.

I'm mos def too high on Cameron Young because he came from my alma mater; he gets his role though. He's a two-down guy who has to keep the MLBs clean. He's blue-collar guy, so I think he'll put in the work, but we all know the jump to the pros is big.

I think we are in a better place at center, but that's not saying much. Hoping they really outplay expectations.

Still a middling type record for sure. 10 wins will be a good season in my book.

With you on this time of year. I'm already tired of the heat and humidity down here in Louisiana, so football season means cooler temps are coming.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:36 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Agree with all of this.

I'm mos def too high on Cameron Young because he came from my alma mater; he gets his role though. He's a two-down guy who has to keep the MLBs clean. He's blue-collar guy, so I think he'll put in the work, but we all know the jump to the pros is big.

I think we are in a better place at center, but that's not saying much. Hoping they really outplay expectations.

Still a middling type record for sure. 10 wins will be a good season in my book.

With you on this time of year. I'm already tired of the heat and humidity down here in Louisiana, so football season means cooler temps are coming.

I'm not sure if we're better at center or not. The veteran has never won a starting position and is a journeyman at best, bouncing between rosters and practice squads, and the rookie is a 5th round draft pick.

The only good thing about this summer here in SE Washington is that we haven't had very much wildfire smoke, at least not yet. But we've had a number of 100+ days, although it's dry heat, 15% humidity, quite different than the heat you have to deal with. We're currently out camping in northern Idaho, and the temp last night got down to 44 degrees, a nice break from what we've been enduring in the Tri Cities.

We've already planned to attend a couple of Hawk games. We're going to watch the Hawks-Giants in the Meadowlands, and being that it's a MNF game, we're going to take in the Commanders-Eagles game in Philly on the day prior. We're also looking at attending the Hawks-Browns game in Seattle in late October. Plus, I have my 50th high school reunion on Labor Day weekend. Lots to look forward to.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:33 pm

I haven't heard anything about us signing Witherspoon or (i think) Charbonnet probably due to no cap space. Odd, since we had a lot of space going into the offseason, but now we're broke! I wonder who we're waiting on to 'adjust' their contract?
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:00 am

jshawaii22 wrote:I haven't heard anything about us signing Witherspoon or (i think) Charbonnet probably due to no cap space. Odd, since we had a lot of space going into the offseason, but now we're broke! I wonder who we're waiting on to 'adjust' their contract?

Jamal Adams?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:50 am

jshawaii22 wrote:I haven't heard anything about us signing Witherspoon or (i think) Charbonnet probably due to no cap space. Odd, since we had a lot of space going into the offseason, but now we're broke! I wonder who we're waiting on to 'adjust' their contract?

According to Over the Cap today - Total Cap Liabilities: $243,763,795 Top 51: $196,194,013 Team Cap Space: $7,152,379
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:18 am

Witherspoon should have a Cap hit of around $4.5-5M and Charbonnet about $1-1.5M.
So the effective Cap space is only about a million or so and we haven’t included the PS signings.
Teams also want a reserve to sign replacements when the inevitable injuries hit and that’s usually in the $5-10M range.
It would seem that some contract restructuring could be in the cards barring surprise cuts or trades.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:22 am

It is definitely on their radar to free up additional cap room. Nwosu is the main candidate for an extension that could generate immediate relief; he's 26 and playing well, so an extension makes sense. Fant is a possibility for trade or extension; Parkinson and Dissly can make losing a primarily receiving TE doable, especially given the WR group. Not sure of the possibilities with Jamal Adams, but maybe something there. Not a ton of places to look to on the roster for relief.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:15 am

NorthHawk wrote:Witherspoon should have a Cap hit of around $4.5-5M and Charbonnet about $1-1.5M.
So the effective Cap space is only about a million or so and we haven’t included the PS signings.
Teams also want a reserve to sign replacements when the inevitable injuries hit and that’s usually in the $5-10M range.
It would seem that some contract restructuring could be in the cards barring surprise cuts or trades.

Well that's not quite how it works. Witherspoon and Charbonnet don't count against the top 51 right now. Once they are signed they will be displacing someone that is, so the net effect would depend on who they displace.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:58 am

If you're talking about final roster and considering the two displaced players are league minimum dudes, why wouldn't you just treat it like they are also going to count against your cap? They aren't going into the season with less than 53.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:39 pm

The "top 51" are what officially count against the cap. 53 doesn't matter until week 1 of the regular season, at which time the players our new signings effectively displace can come from anywhere on the roster. Not all of the rookies will be among those 53 either.

Point is, we ain't broke.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:07 pm

I get the rule, but the players I'm pegging as not sticking aren't all that expensive (<= $1M each) and the guys that make it instead of them are only a little cheaper base don OverTheCap.com. I figure 10 guys at most being replaced by cheaper guys at $200k extra each. That's potentially only $2M on top of whatever is available after signing Witherspoon and Charbonnet. This assumes who's on the roster now; they are only at 89, and they can churn it up a bit in camp anyway.

They aren't broke, but there's not going to be a lot of wiggle room after practice squad and injury pool unless they make a move (Nwosu, Fant, possibly Adams).
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:12 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:The "top 51" are what officially count against the cap. 53 doesn't matter until week 1 of the regular season, at which time the players our new signings effectively displace can come from anywhere on the roster. Not all of the rookies will be among those 53 either.

Point is, we ain't broke.

But the 51 rule isn’t the only calculation. There’s also the total Cap limit and we are currently about $18M over.
Of course there will be some cuts, but there is a limit to how much can be cut to get to both the 51 number and total Cap number
and still retain enough Cap space for yearly changes - usually about $7-10 Million without affecting the larger contracts.
So we have to find about $25M in Cap space as of today + another approximately $7M for Witherspoon and Charbonnet.

Some contract restructuring or surprise cuts would seem to be in the cards.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:55 pm

There’s also the total Cap limit and we are currently about $18M over.

Where are you getting that? Both that some "total cap" even exists before week one of the regular season and that we are $18M over it?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:02 pm

My understanding is Jamal can't be cut or traded or restructured while he's injured. Also, I think he would cost us millions of dead cap this year if we did anything. 7 million may seem like a lot, but it's not much to play with.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:01 pm

Where are you getting that? Both that some "total cap" even exists before week one of the regular season and that we are $18M over it?

Estimated based on current contracts and players expected to make the team from Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:41 pm

Good lord counting all contracts everybody is at least that far over the cap this time of year! You can't run a 90 player camp on 53 player pay! Look around at other teams, I checked the next few up and down the list from us and while SF was about the same over the others I looked at were farther over than we are. It's a ridiculous stat.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:48 pm

jshawaii22 wrote: 7 million may seem like a lot, but it's not much to play with.

I'm not saying $7M is a lot, just that we're not bad off at this point. Lets see how many of these higher payed FA's we brought in to compete actually make the team. Then if we need to make room we will. If another team's camp cut looks good to us maybe we need to make a high dollar cut of our own, but there's no reason to sweat now.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:41 pm

I'm hoping we can get out from under Jamal Adams soon. That was a terrible trade and a terrible contract.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:23 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:Good lord counting all contracts everybody is at least that far over the cap this time of year! You can't run a 90 player camp on 53 player pay! Look around at other teams, I checked the next few up and down the list from us and while SF was about the same over the others I looked at were farther over than we are. It's a ridiculous stat.

Not all teams and some are only a few million over, but those in similar situations will have to make contact adjustments as well to get in line for the season.
We are one of those teams that looks like will have to make som interesting decisions.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:30 am

jshawaii22 wrote:My understanding is Jamal can't be cut or traded or restructured while he's injured. Also, I think he would cost us millions of dead cap this year if we did anything. 7 million may seem like a lot, but it's not much to play with.

Aseahawkfan wrote:I'm hoping we can get out from under Jamal Adams soon. That was a terrible trade and a terrible contract.

He has zero guaranteed salary in 2024 and 2025. He has dead cap hits of $7M in 2024 and 2025. Releasing now would free up about $8M with $9M still hitting 2023 along with the $7M still hitting in 2025 and 2025. Depends on how bad they think they need the $8M vs. their confidence in Adams coming back this season and making a difference.

c_hawkbob wrote:I'm not saying $7M is a lot, just that we're not bad off at this point. Lets see how many of these higher payed FA's we brought in to compete actually make the team. Then if we need to make room we will. If another team's camp cut looks good to us maybe we need to make a high dollar cut of our own, but there's no reason to sweat now.

That would be Dre'mont Jones, Julian Love, Devin Bush, Jarran Reed, Mario Edwards

2023 acquired FA Cap Savings if cut:

Jones: $390k
Love: $340k
Bush: $510k
Reed: $340k
Edwards: $940k

Edwards is the only FA that would move the needle much if cut. I don't see the other 4 getting cut unless they are just awful. We need the DL, LB, and DB depth. Jones, Love and Reed are proven players.

A move has to be coming with Nwosu (extension), Fant (trade), or Adams (release). Not really any other places to go.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:40 pm

They can move some salary to cash as well as extend players and add a voidable year, but JS hasn’t done the voidable years strategy much, if at all. But some action will have to be taken at some point and this might e a good year because tha Cap is expected to rise quite a bit the next two years.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Rambo2014 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:24 am

And keeping with a Seattle tradition in sports.

The Seahawks achieve another year of .500 ball, just like all the other teams in Seattle present and future BTW the first 4 games for the Seaboys will be 0-4

Mark my words
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:05 pm

Rambo2014 wrote:And keeping with a Seattle tradition in sports.

The Seahawks achieve another year of .500 ball, just like all the other teams in Seattle present and future BTW the first 4 games for the Seaboys will be 0-4

Mark my words

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:51 pm

With Witherspoon now signed, all is in order now for TC 2023!

I gotta say I am pretty excited to watch them this year. Geno really won me over last year, although I will claim to be one of the ones who was on the "let's give him a chance before I criticize him" train. The offense looks like it may have the potential to be a pretty consistent group.

The D for the most part was pretty frustrating to watch last year, I guess I say it can't be any worse. There should be an improvement, not sure if it will be dramatic or not, but holding out hope this group can have an impact in the win/loss column.

So nice to have daily reports, even though I know all of it ultra positive about everyone. Alot easier to perform when you don't have guys trying to knock you out for the season.

Cheers fellow Seahawks fans, enjoy the season!
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:44 pm

You need to watch this JSN one hander! https://twitter.com/i/status/1684703982005202952
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:11 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:You need to watch this JSN one hander! https://twitter.com/i/status/1684703982005202952

JSN reminds me of Jerry Rice. Sneaky speed, great hands and route running. Not saying he'll be Jerry Rice, just that his skills and style of play remind me of Jerry Rice. He seems like a guy that isn't wowing with his incredible speed, but he's so good at running routes and making catches that he's going to produce at a high level as long as he stays healthy. He seems like he's going to be a QB's best friend type of receiver.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:22 pm

Jordyn Brooks passed his physical today. Won't play Saturday, but it's good news to have one of our MLB's back.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/8/15/23 ... 3-nfl-news
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:17 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Jordyn Brooks passed his physical today. Won't play Saturday, but it's good news to have one of our MLB's back.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/8/15/23 ... 3-nfl-news

Yeah, that is good news.

But in keeping with my Debbie Downer reputation, the bad news is that Jamal Adams is expected to miss a good part of the season:

Seattle Seahawks star Jamal Adams expected to miss multiple games in 2023.

Nearly a year after Adams went down against the Denver Broncos, there’s still no timeline for his return. Seattle placed him on the PUP list to begin training camp and he could reportedly remain there beyond Week 1. Opening the season on the PUP list would automatically rule Adams out for the first four games of the season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/se ... r-AA1f8INK
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:19 pm

Bummer, but not surprising. I considered any of his contributions to be lagniappe this season.

I didn't give it much thought, but that's a quick recovery for Brooks. His surgery was in January, and he passes a physical in August. Hope they don't rush things, but a passed physical is a green light, correct?
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:43 pm

Jamal who?

Good to see Brooks coming back fast. Hopefully he holds up well.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:57 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Jamal who?

Yeah, no kidding.

Aseahawkfan wrote:Good to see Brooks coming back fast. Hopefully he holds up well.

Yeah, it is, especially when you consider that they're probably not wanting to rush things, which means he's progressing very well. I don't expect to see much of him this preseason.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:40 pm

why because they are afraid of him getting injured yet again, or?
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum