Washington Commanders Sale Approved

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Washington Commanders Sale Approved

Postby RiverDog » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:05 pm

Good riddins to Dan Snyder. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya! So says the league, as they fined him $60M after several investigations into sexual related accusations.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nf ... 94a0&ei=11

The sale was just north of $6B. The last time an NFL franchise was sold, the Broncos in 2022, the price tag was $4.65 billion, so this represents a 29% increase in just over a year. However, I do believe that the Commanders own their stadium, which would drive up the sales price. Even so, that's a pretty hefty increase in just one year.

There has to be a lot of Commanders fans celebrating at this moment as Snyder was hugely unpopular. Similar to our celebrations when Ken Behring was more or less forced to sell the team.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Washington Commanders Sale Approved

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:33 pm

Yeah, I hear there is a big feeling of relief now Snyder is gone.
That the NFL fined him $60 Million upon leaving is a fitting end even if it’s a token amount by NFL standards.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:44 pm

'Bout time.

I'm curious how they're going to collect on that fine though. Can they hold up the sale until the fine is paid? I'm wondering how that's enforceable.
Oly
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:40 am

Oly wrote:'Bout time.

I'm curious how they're going to collect on that fine though. Can they hold up the sale until the fine is paid? I'm wondering how that's enforceable.

Easy. They just deduct it from the $6B sale price. Harris pays Snyder $5.94 billion for the team and pays Snyder's fine for him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Oly » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:18 am

RiverDog wrote:Easy. They just deduct it from the $6B sale price. Harris pays Snyder $5.94 billion for the team and pays Snyder's fine for him.

Makes sense. To my mind, I thought that if this is what they were doing the articles would have described it as the NFL taking a portion of the sale fee as punishment, but I suppose "fine" is more succinct.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:04 am

There’s an interesting article on PFT about Snyder and his evading sharing revenue with the rest of the league.
It shows how much of a scumbag Snyder is.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... iel-snyder
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:15 am

NorthHawk wrote:There’s an interesting article on PFT about Snyder and his evading sharing revenue with the rest of the league.
It shows how much of a scumbag Snyder is.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... iel-snyder

I'm not disabling my ad blocker for NBC, but I'm familiar with the issue.

A few years ago when I was in Vegas on an NFL Sunday, I sat next to a Redskins fan. He was wearing a Washington Nationals jersey, said he wasn't giving one dime to Dan Snyder, and that was before all the scandals on sexual misconduct and financial wrongdoings broke. I'm sure that there's a ton of fans that are still dancing in the streets.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:29 am

Now that Snyder's been shown the door, the critics are coming out of the woodwork:

Jay Gruden, who was Washington's head coach from 2014 to 2019, says that Snyder wouldn't put in the work necessary to learn how good a player was, but would insist on making decisions in the draft and free agency.

“He (Snyder) wasn’t experienced enough in the business to make those decisions.” Gruden said on Kevin Sheehan's podcast, via USA Today. “He didn’t put in the work. For him to pick a player in the draft is asinine. He didn’t put the work in. He didn’t watch the players. He didn’t go to the meetings. He didn’t go to the scouts’ meetings.”

Gruden said he doesn't necessarily object to an owner making those calls, he just wants the owner to know what he's doing. Before coaching Washington, Gruden spent three seasons as Cincinnati's offensive coordinator, and he credited Bengals owner Mike Brown for participating in scouting and film study before making any decisions.

“Mike Brown, when I was with the Cincinnati Bengals, sat in meetings, watched the film, put in the work," Gruden said. "When he made a decision, it was based upon what he saw, what he took in from the coaches and from the scouts. So I respected that. I don’t respect the guy that doesn’t watch the film and comes in, makes the pick, and tells you who he is signing in free agency. It makes no sense when we and the scouts are doing all of the film work, and all of a sudden, he comes in and makes the pick. So, I think it is going to be a very beneficial move for all of the fans and for the organization moving forward.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ja ... 5569&ei=81
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:47 pm

I think it's not insignificant that Magic Johnson joined the ownership. One, it's a giant milestone for a black man to be a part owner of an NFL team. Are there are any precedents? I'm not aware of any, but someone in this forum would know. Two, Magic is a winner, both on the on the court and off...he is part owner of the MLB Dodgers (World Series Championship 2020), WNBA LAhink Sparks (Champions 2016), MLS Los Angeles FC (MLS Title 2022). He's just one tiny part of each ownership group, just like he is in Washington now with the Commander. They can't go anywhere but up, and I think Magic's presence and will to win is going to push some buttons to make them more competitive in the front offce. Happy for the fans the most. They deserve a better team,
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:56 am

I-5 wrote:I think it's not insignificant that Magic Johnson joined the ownership. One, it's a giant milestone for a black man to be a part owner of an NFL team. Are there are any precedents? I'm not aware of any, but someone in this forum would know. Two, Magic is a winner, both on the on the court and off...he is part owner of the MLB Dodgers (World Series Championship 2020), WNBA LAhink Sparks (Champions 2016), MLS Los Angeles FC (MLS Title 2022). He's just one tiny part of each ownership group, just like he is in Washington now with the Commander. They can't go anywhere but up, and I think Magic's presence and will to win is going to push some buttons to make them more competitive in the front offce. Happy for the fans the most. They deserve a better team,

Yep. Lots of precedents. Shahid Khan (if not black, a person of color) owns the Jacksonville Jaguars. Michael Jordan owns the Charolette Hornets of the NBA and part owner of MLB's Miami Marlins. Kim Pegula, an Asian American, is part owner of the Buffalo Bills.

Magic's presence should help boost the team's popularity and since he has management experience in professional sports, you would think that he'd have a good sense on how to run a professional football team.

They've already been discussing a name change, and the media has thrown out some suggestions, including, among others, the Washington Monuments, Washington Presidents (gag on both of those), the Washington Sentinels, Washington Red Tails, or Washington Red Hogs. My favorite would be the last two.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:40 pm

We'll see if the Washington Football Team can now get back to winning or at least competing.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:02 pm

What's amazing is the Cowboys owner Jerry baby is just as bad, if not worse. He's paid out millions of $$$$ to females in his office and cheerleaders who were used as 'sex toys', etc and nothing was done. I doubt he's the only one. Kind of normal for the rich white men back in the 70's up to 2000 or so. You know "boys will be boys" --
It all depends on how good your PR department and lawyers are and how much everyone likes you. And it's not just football owners, either. As long as you're not viewed as a 'racist' I guess it makes it all OK.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:05 am

I think the deciding factor for the league in pushing out Snyder was his not sharing revenue according to the league rules.
They’ll forgive a lot of bad behavior but mess with their money and you’re gone.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:47 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think the deciding factor for the league in pushing out Snyder was his not sharing revenue according to the league rules.
They’ll forgive a lot of bad behavior but mess with their money and you’re gone.

I'm sure that's part of it, but the sexual stuff obviously played a large part as well. They're not going to go out and hire a very well known attorney to investigate then disregard their findings and just give him a slap on the wrists.

Snyder was also hugely unpopular with his fan base, which made it an easy decision to show him the door.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum