Uchenna Nwosu

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Uchenna Nwosu

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:50 pm

Actual roster news: We're signing Uchenna Nwosu to three year extension worth up to $59. https://www.nfl.com/news/seahawks-signi ... 59-million
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Uchenna Nwosu

Postby c_hawkbob » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:00 pm

And now I'm reading that the extension frees up $5M in cap space.

This is a perfect example of why I refuse to sweat cap space anymore.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:24 am

He was a pretty good pickup last year in FA and this contract should be easy to handle in the next couple of years because the Cap is expected to rise by quite a bit.
I would expect other moves to get under the total Cap for this year - and it's all part of the moves they have to make to comply. I expect some conversions to cash for this year and maybe another extension or more.
But we are still going to be tight under the Cap without a major move or two.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:37 am

To be clear, there is no actual "total cap" to get under. That's just a calculation of what you're spending during offseason. The only caps there are to actually have to stay under are the top 51 this time of year and the 53 starting week one.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:16 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Actual roster news: We're signing Uchenna Nwosu to three year extension worth up to $59. https://www.nfl.com/news/seahawks-signi ... 59-million

Not surprising. Multiple outlets mentioned (and where I got it from to post in another thread) this as a likely move given it's pretty much the only extension that would free up space.

c_hawkbob wrote:To be clear, there is no actual "total cap" to get under. That's just a calculation of what you're spending during offseason. The only caps there are to actually have to stay under are the top 51 this time of year and the 53 starting week one.

Unless there's a surprise move with one of the FA's brought in or a move with Adams or Fant, the 51 rule doesn't do a whole lot for the roster. I'm way more concerned about the 53 against the cap than the 51 as I'm sure NorthHawk is. They'll get under it, but I don't think it will be by much.

NorthHawk wrote:He was a pretty good pickup last year in FA and this contract should be easy to handle in the next couple of years because the Cap is expected to rise by quite a bit.
I would expect other moves to get under the total Cap for this year - and it's all part of the moves they have to make to comply. I expect some conversions to cash for this year and maybe another extension or more.
But we are still going to be tight under the Cap without a major move or two.

There's really not much left. Geno just signed a new contract back in March. Metcalf, Dissly, and Diggs all signed new contracts last season, and Diggs turned 30 back in January. Lockett already had an extension to free up cap space and he's 31 in September. As above, Adams and Fant are about it. That's my speculation. We'll see!
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:41 am

Yeah, Schneider knows what he's doing. Good decision to tie up Nwosu, our best player on an otherwise lousy DL. Three years is about right, too.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:01 am

c_hawkbob wrote:To be clear, there is no actual "total cap" to get under. That's just a calculation of what you're spending during offseason. The only caps there are to actually have to stay under are the top 51 this time of year and the 53 starting week one.

Yes, there is.
There is a total Cap of $224.8 Million. In reality, if there are no Dead Cap hits, it should be straight forward to manage, but we have about $18M in Dead Cap money ($ paid to players no longer on the team) and it is subtracted from our total Cap space. The Rule of 51 is critical as well because they are the only ones counted for those who play, but the rest of the Cap comes into play for PS, Injury replacements, and other things like unexpected bonuses reached, like Geno making the Pro Bowl last year wasn't expected from a Cap perspective and not counted during the year. So the total Cap number is important and has to be considered.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:25 am

NorthHawk wrote:Yes, there is.
There is a total Cap of $224.8 Million. In reality, if there are no Dead Cap hits, it should be straight forward to manage, but we have about $18M in Dead Cap money ($ paid to players no longer on the team) and it is subtracted from our total Cap space. The Rule of 51 is critical as well because they are the only ones counted for those who play, but the rest of the Cap comes into play for PS, Injury replacements, and other things like unexpected bonuses reached, like Geno making the Pro Bowl last year wasn't expected from a Cap perspective and not counted during the year. So the total Cap number is important and has to be considered.

The Top 51 is only through the offseason; once they make it to the 53 man cut, all 53 along with the PS have to fit under the cap.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:49 am

NorthHawk wrote:Yes, there is.

You're trying to have it both ways. You're calling the amount of money we're paying all 90 players during the offseason total cap and then claiming it to be just the regular season cap. Make up your mind. If you prefer I'll go back to our discussion in another thread and say there is no total cap this time of year that we have to stay under.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:33 am

There's only one cap number. $224.8M. The team's dead money counts against it. They have to keep the top 51 under this number (cap - dead) during the offseason. The final 53 and PS then have to get under the wire once the season starts. Is there something I'm missing?
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:19 am

You're trying to have it both ways. You're calling the amount of money we're paying all 90 players during the offseason total cap and then claiming it to be just the regular season cap. Make up your mind. If you prefer I'll go back to our discussion in another thread and say there is no total cap this time of year that we have to stay under.

My statement was confusing in review, what I meant was like Mack said there is a hard cap number and in total all have to be under it.
It might not come into play now, but changes will have to be made to get under it when the season starts.
So total Cap does count and the FO has to be mindful of it all the time otherwise they will be forced to make unwanted cuts at the end of pre-season.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:37 am

I didn't think they'd do it, but Diggs is reporting a restructure. Results in additional cap hit in 2024 for relief this year. A lot of dead money comes off the cap next year, so this is probably all right.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/7/25/23 ... s-nfl-news

And another article regarding cap space. In short, $4-5M gets freed up by Nwosu gets eaten up mostly by Witherspoon and Charbonnet, $4M is needed for PS, 52 and 53 need about $1.5M, and with $7M in cap that leaves roughly $2M in projected cap space. This is before Diggs alledged restructure.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/7/25/23 ... lby-harris
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:45 pm

Good move. I like it. Nwosu is very solid. Team player with a good work ethic.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum