Us and our delicate RB's

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Us and our delicate RB's

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:23 am

The OL has always been an issue. It's been a blind spot with this regime during their entire tenure.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:05 am

RiverDog wrote:They're going to have to improve the offensive line if we want to get back to a run first offense. We had the 27th ranked OL last season. We might be getting the wagon in front of the horse by focusing so much attention on running backs.

That's one of the things I'll be watching during preseason, how our new blood, particularly at center, performs.

And they've legitimately attempted to do so these last two drafts. Any team is going to be hard pressed to get and even harder pressed to keep 5 pro bowlers across the offensive line. I say that to illustrate that there will be varying levels of competency at each spot. Cross, Lewis, and Lucas are solid. Bradford looks like a mauler who handled the vaunted yet maligned Jalen Carter quite well, so I'm hopeful he transition to the pro level. Evans and Olu don't have to do much to be better than Blythe, but we definitely one of them to come through in a major way.

I just think the Seahawks, in recognizing the amount of draft capital they have had these past two drafts, have attempted to do both. Improve the offensive line and get legit RBs to run behind them. You're right, though. Talk is cheap; the proof will be in the product on the field.

NorthHawk wrote:The OL has always been an issue. It's been a blind spot with this regime during their entire tenure.

They have to know, but they chose to value other positions more via splash trades that ate up valuable capital or drafting players they really shouldn't thinking it could make up the difference. Perhaps they've seen the light that they need to raise the bar for the baseline level of oline play they really need.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:31 am

RiverDog wrote:They're going to have to improve the offensive line if we want to get back to a run first offense. We had the 27th ranked OL last season. We might be getting the wagon in front of the horse by focusing so much attention on running backs.

That's one of the things I'll be watching during preseason, how our new blood, particularly at center, performs.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:And they've legitimately attempted to do so these last two drafts. Any team is going to be hard pressed to get and even harder pressed to keep 5 pro bowlers across the offensive line. I say that to illustrate that there will be varying levels of competency at each spot. Cross, Lewis, and Lucas are solid. Bradford looks like a mauler who handled the vaunted yet maligned Jalen Carter quite well, so I'm hopeful he transition to the pro level. Evans and Olu don't have to do much to be better than Blythe, but we definitely one of them to come through in a major way.

I just think the Seahawks, in recognizing the amount of draft capital they have had these past two drafts, have attempted to do both. Improve the offensive line and get legit RBs to run behind them. You're right, though. Talk is cheap; the proof will be in the product on the field.

They certainly did make a legitimate effort in 2022 with a 1st and a 3rd rounder, but I wouldn't be so gracious with them in this year's draft. One 4th and one 5th round pick would earn them a 'C' at best.

NorthHawk wrote:The OL has always been an issue. It's been a blind spot with this regime during their entire tenure.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:They have to know, but they chose to value other positions more via splash trades that ate up valuable capital or drafting players they really shouldn't thinking it could make up the difference. Perhaps they've seen the light that they need to raise the bar for the baseline level of oline play they really need.

We'll see. I was born skeptical so I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about our efforts as you are. Like I said, it will be an area I'll be paying close attention to.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:29 am

RiverDog wrote:They certainly did make a legitimate effort in 2022 with a 1st and a 3rd rounder, but I wouldn't be so gracious with them in this year's draft. One 4th and one 5th round pick would earn them a 'C' at best.

That's how you get an oline you can't afford to keep together. You don't have to have all high round (1-3,4-5, 6-7 is how I tier it) picks to have a successful oline. The 2005 oline was Jones, Hutch, Tobeck, Gray, and Locklear. The three guys from the right weren't stellar, but steady. 2013 Oline was Okung, Carpenter, Unger, Sweezy, and Giacomini with a healthy dose of McQuistan.

RiverDog wrote:We'll see. I was born skeptical so I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about our efforts as you are. Like I said, it will be an area I'll be paying close attention to.

All the moves have been positive, and more so than past moves. Bradford and Olu have good resumes, and they were drafted to play the same positions they predominantly played in college. My expectations are hopeful but could just as easily be dashed. All comes down to what happens on the field.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:54 am

Now Kenny McIntosh has sprained his knee in yesterday's mock game: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/8/5/238 ... 3VrhfKLhao

Hopefully it's not serious.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:13 pm

We're Cursed, I tell ya. CURSED!
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:01 pm

Damn. RBs hammered before the season even starts.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby trents » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:47 pm

Now McIntosh has a sprained knee according to Carrol's report from the mock game yesterday.
trents
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:05 am

NorthHawk wrote:We're Cursed, I tell ya. CURSED!

I'm telling ya! We should have spent both our #1 picks on running backs! :lol:
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:24 am

Also, from the same article, it appears that Dareke Young may have a sports hernia:

The Seattle Seahawks could potentially be without 2022 seventh-round pick Dareke Young for the foreseeable future.

Young did not play in Friday’s mock game at Lumen Field. Head coach Pete Carroll says that Young has a hip/groin issue, and there’s a possibility that he actually has a sports hernia. With nothing confirmed yet, Young’s timetable for a return is unknown.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/8/5/238 ... a-nfl-news
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:39 am

Before long folk are gonna start questioning our strength and conditioning program.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:57 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Before long folk are gonna start questioning our strength and conditioning program.

Yeah, Rashaad Penny vaguely referred to the differences between the Eagles program and ours.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:34 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Before long folk are gonna start questioning our strength and conditioning program.

RiverDog wrote:Yeah, Rashaad Penny vaguely referred to the differences between the Eagles program and ours.

Yeah I read that. That's person, one more and it'll be people.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:40 am

Didn't want to start another RB thread, but it seems that our coaching staff is enamored by Charbonnet on 3rd downs in particular.
I've read that Pete thinks he's a good pass blocker as well, but he's a threat in the pass game.

Here's an article about how they expect to use him:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/ ... charbonnet
NorthHawk
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum