Joint Practices

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Joint Practices

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:17 am

More and more, teams are using the joint practices with another team as a tool to evaluate players in TC.
We've never done that and Pete has chosen to have intense practices and pre season games for decisions.
The comments I am reading and hearing for those in favor are coaches can script what plays and situations they want to see players in to see how they react and understand their concepts.
Obviously that can't be done in a real game so it is an advantage. As well there are only 3 pre season games and talk of going to 2 at some point (probably when the go to an 18 game season).
Does anyone think we should consider going the joint practice route in the future? I think it's something that is going to be inevitable down the road and would be a good tool for the coaching staff.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Joint Practices

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:17 am

Joint practices seem to lead to more injuries and fights. Not sure if that's a good thing.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:14 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:Joint practices seem to lead to more injuries and fights. Not sure if that's a good thing.

I'm not a fan of them.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:17 pm

Is a joint practice different than a scrimmage? I seem to remember attending a scrimmage between the Seahawks and the Oilers in the Kingdome that wasn't a full preseason game. I was a kid then, so my memory might be hazy.
I-5
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:09 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/danny-johnson-suffered-rotator-cuff-injury-after-joint-practice-body-slam-from-mark-andrews

good example today of why you don't need 'joint' practices.

On your question -
I would assume a scrimmage is more game like, but controlled as to how many snaps each offense and defense get. Might also have NFL refs.

Joint practice can be 7 on 7, linemen on linemen and some 11 on 11 plays but doesn't move up and down the field, doesn't have a 'time clock' and probably doesn't call fouls.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:08 pm

I doubt the injury rate is any worse than games. The Eagles had 6 players go down with injuries tonight against the Browns (2 carted off on stretchers), so injuries happen in football.
The Joint Practices will also at some point come under the CBA where things like the body slamming will be punishable.
I think it's inevitable with the shrinking pre season games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Uppercut » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:22 am

Hawks most likely joint practice would be with Denver. That would be interesting.
Uppercut
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:17 pm

I'm not sure what the benefit of it is. If they had a small number of participants and were working some players too hard or putting them too much in harm's way, then I could understand it. But when they have something like 70 or 80 players, what's the point?
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:06 am

RiverDog wrote:I'm not sure what the benefit of it is. If they had a small number of participants and were working some players too hard or putting them too much in harm's way, then I could understand it. But when they have something like 70 or 80 players, what's the point?

There's more talk about going to an 18 game schedule and remove another pre season game. As well, coaches can script situations so they can look at players they might not otherwise see in a game where situations can't be controlled. And they can
repeat that same situation with different personnel so as to have a better comparison.
What it does is give players that might be on the bubble another chance to show that they can contribute in a different situation in a different environment and against players they may not have previously played against.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum