Stopping The Run

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Stopping The Run

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:56 pm

Anyone here sold that we are up to the task to stopping the run? Albeit there are not too many starters during these preseason games, but it is still a blueprint on how players are in position, or more like out of position by defensive scheme. Even with Bobby on the Hawks the year prior we still were torched by the run. Just not to sure if the run defense is going to help get the defense off the field enough times to warrant a difference. Just my thoughts.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Re: Stopping The Run

Postby Vegaseahawk » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:02 pm

I like the fact that they moved Jarran Reed to the inside this year. That may reap benefits.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:16 pm

Vegaseahawk wrote:I like the fact that they moved Jarran Reed to the inside this year. That may reap benefits.

True, but just like Bobby father time may have caught up with him, and he is not going to play as many snaps as he did years back. This Jalen Carter things is going to eat us up if he tears it up in Philli.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:19 pm

Until I see the starters in there, hard to tell. I think Dre'mont Jones is going to be a real difference maker, but we haven't seen him much because the coaching staff is very confident he can do the job.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:19 pm

Dre Mont Jones is a DE that is not much of a pass rusher, but is above average against the rush and does not miss a lot tackles. PFF grades him above average against the run, but what is interesting is he has not played pretty much at all during this preseason and it would be nice to see the new addition come out for a few snaps. I have been over confident many times with this defense, but it still spells shades of last year where it was weak against the run, and stuck in this soft zone defense. Certainly the likes of Diggs and an eventual healthy Jamal Adams with our starting DBs I believe the pass defense will not surrender big plays and play up better against the mid to long pass game. However, the run defense does not seem like it took a step further.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:21 pm

Dallas gashed the middle. It’s still the Achilles heel……..
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:19 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Until I see the starters in there, hard to tell. I think Dre'mont Jones is going to be a real difference maker, but we haven't seen him much because the coaching staff is very confident he can do the job.

This is my take, too. It's hard to judge by what we see in the preseason.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:21 pm

Stopping the run isn't an individual skill set. IMO it's a collective effort in how the defensive scheme is executed. Backups are going against backups, and yes it preseason and it's hard to not put too much stock on they eye test of preseason games, however I can't help that our base defensive scheme against the run is not perfuming better than last year. If you want to base the run defense improvement on hope once are starters are in the game, then I certainly think most will be disappointed as stopping the run is something I don't think we have shown to take a step forward.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:21 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Dre Mont Jones is a DE that is not much of a pass rusher, but is above average against the rush and does not miss a lot tackles. PFF grades him above average against the run, but what is interesting is he has not played pretty much at all during this preseason and it would be nice to see the new addition come out for a few snaps. I have been over confident many times with this defense, but it still spells shades of last year where it was weak against the run, and stuck in this soft zone defense. Certainly the likes of Diggs and an eventual healthy Jamal Adams with our starting DBs I believe the pass defense will not surrender big plays and play up better against the mid to long pass game. However, the run defense does not seem like it took a step further.

Interesting. I heard the exact opposite in that he's a good pass rusher but run defense is his issue.
We'll have to see how he does this year.

As far as your original question, the jury is out on this DL for run defense. We need a big plug in the middle but Reed isn't that and the draft choice Cam Young has a calf injury and Mone may not play this year or ever (worst case scenarios).
It wouldn't surprise me if they picked up some players that get cut from other teams. The Jets have two full lines that are better than ours and they can't keep them all so maybe a veteran might be available in a couple of weeks.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:49 am

4XPIPS wrote:Dre Mont Jones is a DE that is not much of a pass rusher, but is above average against the rush and does not miss a lot tackles. PFF grades him above average against the run, but what is interesting is he has not played pretty much at all during this preseason and it would be nice to see the new addition come out for a few snaps. I have been over confident many times with this defense, but it still spells shades of last year where it was weak against the run, and stuck in this soft zone defense. Certainly the likes of Diggs and an eventual healthy Jamal Adams with our starting DBs I believe the pass defense will not surrender big plays and play up better against the mid to long pass game. However, the run defense does not seem like it took a step further.

NorthHawk wrote:Interesting. I heard the exact opposite in that he's a good pass rusher but run defense is his issue.
We'll have to see how he does this year.

As far as your original question, the jury is out on this DL for run defense. We need a big plug in the middle but Reed isn't that and the draft choice Cam Young has a calf injury and Mone may not play this year or ever (worst case scenarios).
It wouldn't surprise me if they picked up some players that get cut from other teams. The Jets have two full lines that are better than ours and they can't keep them all so maybe a veteran might be available in a couple of weeks.

4XPIPS, I think you read it wrong. North Hawk is correct. In 2022, PFF rated Jones with a 41.8 grade against the run, 67.3 against the pass. He had 7 sacks, tied for 13th in the league:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/dremont-jones/28075
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:09 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Until I see the starters in there, hard to tell. I think Dre'mont Jones is going to be a real difference maker, but we haven't seen him much because the coaching staff is very confident he can do the job.

agreed
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:32 am

With Jones and the run defense, he's on the edge but our problem has been with getting gashed up the middle, so even if he is good or at least better than last years DE, he won't help much with the middle of the DL where we've been most vulnerable.
We saw a bit of it against the Cowboys where they ran fairly easily at the beginning of the game, but they went away from it. I would guess they wanted to look at players in different situations instead of winning, unlike in the real games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Oly » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:45 am

Until they sign a big, stout, space-eating NT, I have little faith they will stop the run.

Unfortunately, this team is set up opposite of Pete's philosophy. Pete would like to start conservative, avoid mistakes, and pull away as the game goes on. But with an explosive passing game in an elite offense, along with a poor rush D, the team is set up to jump to an early lead and force the other team to pass. If these Hawks can get to 10-0 in the first quarter, other teams are going to have to start throwing into our really good secondary, and then the Hawks have the run game to start to eat clock and wear them down, which will make them feel more desperate for quick points. Wash, rinse, repeat. But if the other team gets to 10-0 and starts to ground-and-pound, this team will be in for a very long day.

I hope Pete's philosophy can adapt. I know many here aren't that confident, but with his increased reliance on Geno last year, he showed me that he can adapt at least a bit to fit his team. I'm not saying I'm confident he will adapt, but I'm not yet ready to rule it out.
Oly
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:08 am

Oly wrote:Until they sign a big, stout, space-eating NT, I have little faith they will stop the run.

Unfortunately, this team is set up opposite of Pete's philosophy. Pete would like to start conservative, avoid mistakes, and pull away as the game goes on. But with an explosive passing game in an elite offense, along with a poor rush D, the team is set up to jump to an early lead and force the other team to pass. If these Hawks can get to 10-0 in the first quarter, other teams are going to have to start throwing into our really good secondary, and then the Hawks have the run game to start to eat clock and wear them down, which will make them feel more desperate for quick points. Wash, rinse, repeat. But if the other team gets to 10-0 and starts to ground-and-pound, this team will be in for a very long day.

I hope Pete's philosophy can adapt. I know many here aren't that confident, but with his increased reliance on Geno last year, he showed me that he can adapt at least a bit to fit his team. I'm not saying I'm confident he will adapt, but I'm not yet ready to rule it out.

It might be why Pete has allowed the Offense to open up the last couple of years.
Regarding getting a space eater, look for some of those players cut from teams like the Jets, Eagles, and maybe the 49ers. All have deep DL and won't keep them all.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:14 pm

After watching Dillon run right up the middle early on in the Packers game gives me worries that our defense is not going to be up to task to stuff the run. Yes I know there were no starters, but most of these players playing defense for us in rotation and they couldn't stuff it. Hopefully after cut down we can snag a run stuffing DL.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:32 am

Cam Young will hopefully be of some help. Gotel has the size for the job; I'm guessing they hang on to him for that reason. It's position group that is definitely up in the air.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:32 am

I didn't see anything in the preseason that helped with my angst about runs up the middle against us.
I think it might be our biggest problem again this year.
If it is still a problem, it will be a present reminder of the years we went through looking for a pass rush. A lot of talk and acknowledgement by the coaches and FO, but nothing happened for years.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:16 am

For sure. While I don't want a repeat of the run defense performance of last year, at least these past two drafts plus the amount of cap that will be freed up next season have set them up well to address these lingering holes in the roster.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:58 am

Next years Cap space is pretty tight according to Spotrac.
They have us expected to be over by about $4.6M as it stands today.
Remember that if Geno has another good year they will either have to cut him or have a Cap hit of about $31M.
Cap hits for Lockett, DK, and Adams are $26.8, $24.5, and 23.6 (million).
But contracts can be managed however $100M for 4 players makes for a big chunk of Cap space used.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/2024/
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:17 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Next years Cap space is pretty tight according to Spotrac.
Remember that if Geno has another good year they will either have to cut him or have a Cap hit of about $31M.
But contracts can be managed however $100M for 4 players makes for a big chunk of Cap space used.

If Geno delivers another solid year, I could imagine they would do what they are doing with Patrick Mahomes and restructure his contract year after year even right after he signed his massive deal. Geno would be too valuable to be cut and would be adjusted to free cap space, but ultimately keep his guarantees in line. Lockett on the other hand I could see being cut because of his age and the recent draft of JSN, which has yet to be showcased.

With Geno at his age and pretty much all the right pieces in place the Seahawks are sort of win it all right now or next year provided he plays as well as he has been playing.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:44 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Next years Cap space is pretty tight according to Spotrac.

I'm counting on Adams being gone. Also thought we had more dead money coming off the books.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:49 pm

I agree with Mack. This is Adams make or break year or he's gone and done. We should be able to free up some space.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:40 am

I'm surprised they didn't do something with Adams contract this year and maybe use the Cap space for an interior DL/NT in Free Agency.
But here we are so next year lessens the Dead Cap hit should he be cut then.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:58 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I'm surprised they didn't do something with Adams contract this year and maybe use the Cap space for an interior DL/NT in Free Agency.
But here we are so next year lessens the Dead Cap hit should he be cut then.

He is pretty much un-tradeable because of the amount of money owed and given he is an injury liability I think his market is done. Even the Cardinals could not unload D Hopkins with his contract, and he is a stellar player. So can't trade Adams, and certainly do not want to cut him as you take all that dead money hit. Well we are left with having to use him as the only way to salvage any value left in him. He does not strike me as the type of player to restructure his contract and take less money, so we might as well cross our fingers and hope he can give us a full season and perform as a top DB in this league. The one sliver of hope is that he still young at 27, and well into his prime so if he can somehow find a better diet, a better workout routine, possibly learn yoga... who knows and stay healthy we can finally get the Jamal Adams we are all hoping for.
Last edited by 4XPIPS on Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:11 pm

Whatever we can get out of Adams this season is lagniappe; I'm not expecting him to play the entire season. Another injured season plus no guaranteed money after this season means he's out (his prorated bonus will hit the cap for the next two years). More than happy if he proves me wrong.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:40 am

It's been said they want to use him as a hybrid LB/S, so his longevity will be in doubt with all the pounding he will get.
At some point the Dead Cap hit will be less than the Cap hit so it would make it worthwhile to cut him, as well post June 1st cuts mean the remaining Cap hit can be spread over 2 years.
Maybe he will have an injury free season and dominate, but with us being so light up the middle of the DL, it would seem doubtful. But please, don't put him in any type of pass coverage...
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:44 am

Adams has been ruled out for the first game and PC said recently that he may be out multiple games.
As well, Witherspoon doesn't look like he will play the first game, either but he is much closer.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/ ... eason-time
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum