JSN Wrist surgery

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

JSN Wrist surgery

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:57 am

At least it seems minor:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Seahawks’ first-round pick Jaxon Smith-Njigba is undergoing wrist surgery today in Philadelphia, but still could have a chance to be ready for the start of the regular season, per sources. Surgery will determine how long he will miss. He hurt his wrist Saturday night vs. Dallas.
10:39 AM · Aug 22, 2023
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: JSN Wrist surgery

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:04 am

Apparently on the catch where he almost scored a TD.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:09 am

So now we have both our 1st round picks on the sidelines with injuries.
I'm getting a little concerned with Witherspoon because his hamstring injury has been going on since before the draft and that's a long time to be healing from it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:07 pm

NorthHawk wrote:So now we have both our 1st round picks on the sidelines with injuries.
I'm getting a little concerned with Witherspoon because his hamstring injury has been going on since before the draft and that's a long time to be healing from it.

Is it a tear or tightness? What's wrong with his hamstring? Is he going to need a redshirt season? That would suck.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:33 pm

If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all :( r
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:59 pm

no bueno, however being it's a wrist injury he will still be able to stay in good shape and do walk throughs until he is go. NFL.com says 3-4 weeks recovery. :(
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:38 pm

Every cloud has a silver lining. If JSN isn't ready to go, it will provide an opportunity for Jake Bobo to step up into the void. If he plays well in the regular season, I could see us cutting or trading Dee Eskridge, who has been a huge disappointment. Bobo is 6'4", same height as Metcalf, and would create some mismatches, particularly in the red zone.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:55 pm

RiverDog wrote:Every cloud has a silver lining. If JSN isn't ready to go, it will provide an opportunity for Jake Bobo to step up into the void. If he plays well in the regular season, I could see us cutting or trading Dee Eskridge, who has been a huge disappointment. Bobo is 6'4", same height as Metcalf, and would create some mismatches, particularly in the red zone.

I totally agree, however Seahawks have made some surprise cuts in the past. I hope Bobo doesn't suffer the same fate that Kasen Williams did when he was tearing it up in preseason. This was also the year we kept Eddie Lacy on our team and he did nothing at RB for us that year. Well I hope Bobo Fetts in on the 53 roster.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:21 am

sounds like he may be out for 3-4 weeks now.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:07 am

Probably miss the first couple of games, but it's a long season for players just coming out of college so it might be a blessing in disguise.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Vegaseahawk » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:19 am

NorthHawk wrote:Probably miss the first couple of games, but it's a long season for players just coming out of college so it might be a blessing in disguise.

Good point. I think JSN will be fine. At 6' he's a bit shorter than the prototypical PC/JS receiver, but his hands are huge, & he's got long arms. Let's hope he get's healthy & stays that way. I too am smitten with the talents of "Go-go" Bobo, & hope he stays a seahawk. It would suck to see this guy get released only to excel elsewhere, especially a division opponent.
Vegaseahawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:33 pm

NorthHawk wrote:Probably miss the first couple of games, but it's a long season for players just coming out of college so it might be a blessing in disguise.

We have a lot of depth at WR, so it shouldn't hurt losing him for a few games. I wasn't expecting a huge contribution this season as he'd only be the #3 receiver and wouldn't see a huge number of snaps. Besides, it will give him an opportunity to watch and learn from the sidelines.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:44 pm

RiverDog wrote:We have a lot of depth at WR, so it shouldn't hurt losing him for a few games. I wasn't expecting a huge contribution this season as he'd only be the #3 receiver and wouldn't see a huge number of snaps. Besides, it will give him an opportunity to watch and learn from the sidelines.

Lots of depth, or just lots of names and not a lot of experience. When I hear we have depth at a position, I usually think there is quality contributions from that roster spot. Other than DK and Lockett, there is very limited regular season experience on the team.

Dareke Young Last year caught 2 passes for 24 yards
Easop Winston last year had no stats, and in 2021 he 1 catch for 5 yards
Cody Thompson last year had no stats
John Hall Rookie
Malik Flowers Rookie
Justin Marshall Rookie
Tyjon Lindsey Rookie
Matt Landers Rookie
JSN Rookie
Jake Bobo Rookie
Cade Johnson last year 2 catches for 21 yards
Dee Eskridge sadly out of all this group has most production last year, but my thoughts on him is he is still cheap and will stay with the team albeit he won't contribute right away with his suspension.

I think it's safe to say this offense was counting on JSN being an impact player right away and not having him early will be a slight step back. I do think Waldron was creating offensive schemes around his skill set. Lots of unproven playing WR for us.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:39 am

4XPIPS wrote:Lots of depth, or just lots of names and not a lot of experience. When I hear we have depth at a position, I usually think there is quality contributions from that roster spot. Other than DK and Lockett, there is very limited regular season experience on the team.

Dareke Young Last year caught 2 passes for 24 yards
Easop Winston last year had no stats, and in 2021 he 1 catch for 5 yards
Cody Thompson last year had no stats
John Hall Rookie
Malik Flowers Rookie
Justin Marshall Rookie
Tyjon Lindsey Rookie
Matt Landers Rookie
JSN Rookie
Jake Bobo Rookie
Cade Johnson last year 2 catches for 21 yards
Dee Eskridge sadly out of all this group has most production last year, but my thoughts on him is he is still cheap and will stay with the team albeit he won't contribute right away with his suspension.

I think it's safe to say this offense was counting on JSN being an impact player right away and not having him early will be a slight step back. I do think Waldron was creating offensive schemes around his skill set. Lots of unproven playing WR for us.

Perhaps depth isn't the right way to describe our WR situation. With two pro bowlers as starters, we don't have a pressing need for a rookie WR, especially if Eskridge ever starts living up to his potential. Besides, I've always taken the position that good WR's are a dime a dozen. I was shocked when we burned a #20 overall on JSN, but that's just me.

And I disagree that we were counting on JSN being an impact player right out of the gate. As a 3rd WR, he wasn't going to get a lot of targets anyway. You said yourself that there's a lot of "unproven" WR's on our roster, and JSN has yet to see a snap in a regular season game. If we were counting on him to make an immediate impact, we're in trouble.

I'd much rather have a healthy Witherspoon available than JSN. We have more pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball than we do our #3 WR.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:39 am

I think it impacts what they want to do more than anything. But when he comes back, it could/should give the Offense a bump as it's another player that the opposing Defense has to take into account. Teams know a lot about JSN, so they will be taking him into account when he's healthy even if he hasn't yet played a real game in the NFL.
The others have an advantage of at least knowing the system and after being in it a year so they should know their responsibilities on every play and have at least a little rapport with Geno or Lock. The rookies might be a different story but it's their time to take advantage of the opportunity and maybe stick here or get a job on another team. I would guess we will see a lot of them against GB this week.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:08 am

If he lives up to the billing, this is a better team with him on the field than not. A scary WR3 isn't necessary, but it sure is nice to have.

Guessing the TEs will be used a little more to take up the slack.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:01 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:If he lives up to the billing, this is a better team with him on the field than not. A scary WR3 isn't necessary, but it sure is nice to have.

Guessing the TEs will be used a little more to take up the slack.

Good point about the tight ends. That's another position where we're well stocked with veterans, with Fant, Dissly, and Parkinson having played 15 seasons between the three of them.

I'm not saying that we won't miss having JSN on the field, just that there are more pressing concerns than our #3 WR.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:41 am

At this point, the bigger concern for me is still the interior of the DL. Mone and the draft pick Cam Young are still out so it leaves us with Reed and Myles Adams as larger interior DL. We also had Matthew Gotel playing last game and he's 6'1" and 341 lbs. Maybe he can plug up the middle better than some of the lighter DL. The other NT listed is Austin Faoliu who is 6'3" and 305 lbs. This could become a repeat of last year if they don't have a plan. We saw Dallas early gash us up the middle, so at this point it's a concern. We'll see what happens against the Packers.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:29 pm

It doesn't allay all concerns about run stopping, but I thought they used only 2 down linemen multiple times. That's a pretty sure way to get gashed; I was assuming they were just trying it out.

Mone is probably going to be awhile. Hoping Young gets back soon. I like Gotel's size, so he might be able to contribute.

As for other teams' cuts, I'm not seeing a lot of guys out there that fit the NT mold. Just not the prevalent. Robert Cooper out of FSU who was with Seattle and now Philadelphia looks the part on paper, but why didn't they stick with him through camp?
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:32 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Perhaps depth isn't the right way to describe our WR situation. With two pro bowlers as starters, we don't have a pressing need for a rookie WR, especially if Eskridge ever starts living up to his potential. Besides, I've always taken the position that good WR's are a dime a dozen. I was shocked when we burned a #20 overall on JSN, but that's just me.

And I disagree that we were counting on JSN being an impact player right out of the gate. As a 3rd WR, he wasn't going to get a lot of targets anyway. You said yourself that there's a lot of "unproven" WR's on our roster, and JSN has yet to see a snap in a regular season game. If we were counting on him to make an immediate impact, we're in trouble.

I'd much rather have a healthy Witherspoon available than JSN. We have more pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball than we do our #3 WR.

They took JSN in the 1st round, I totally disagree that he wasn't going to get a lot of targets. There are huge expectations from JSN and I believe once he is healthy he will be on the field a lot more than you think. He is the eventual replacement for Lockett, and possess a unique skill set that most receivers don't have. Sadly we will be having a different conversation start of next season and probably see Lockett be waived from a cost perspective. I would hate to see it too, but when JSN gets on the field and does what he did at OSU it will spell the eventual end of Lockett. I agree JSN has not proven anything as of yet, but his natural ability at the WR position does not come around often and wouldn't be surprised his numbers out perform Lockett this year.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:50 pm

I don’t know what a lot of targets are in this Offense, but any WR will have difficulty getting a lot with DK and Lockett playing along with the TEs and hopefully more throws to the RBs, not to mention the Run game.
That said, he has the potential to be an impactful receiver when he does get the chance and like you said he has a rare ability to get open.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:50 pm

4XPIPS wrote:They took JSN in the 1st round, I totally disagree that he wasn't going to get a lot of targets. There are huge expectations from JSN and I believe once he is healthy he will be on the field a lot more than you think. He is the eventual replacement for Lockett, and possess a unique skill set that most receivers don't have. Sadly we will be having a different conversation start of next season and probably see Lockett be waived from a cost perspective. I would hate to see it too, but when JSN gets on the field and does what he did at OSU it will spell the eventual end of Lockett. I agree JSN has not proven anything as of yet, but his natural ability at the WR position does not come around often and wouldn't be surprised his numbers out perform Lockett this year.

Do what he did at Ohio State? He started in just 15 games in 3 years at OSU, played in only 3 games last season catching 5 passes for 43 yards and sat out the CFB playoffs. I sure as heck hope he does a little more for us than he did for Ohio State.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:14 pm

RiverDog wrote:
Do what he did at Ohio State? He started in just 15 games in 3 years at OSU, played in only 3 games last season catching 5 passes for 43 yards and sat out the CFB playoffs. I sure as heck hope he does a little more for us than he did for Ohio State.

Last year stats are hampered from his injury, but are you ignoring when he was healthy the year prior he was 3rd in receive yards at 1606 yards in the country in 2021 in a very competitive conference. I mean I not saying he is going to put up Justin Jefferson type numbers this year, but I can clearly see him in that 40+ receptions and having 700+ yards and 5 to 7 tds this year. I think this would constitute a far amount of targets. He will eventually start for us at some point, you don't draft a guy in the 1st run to be a non starter. Yes I am hopeful he will do well for us, and he has not proven anything yet but if I was a bettin man I would put money he would finish with those stats this year.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:55 am

RiverDog wrote:Do what he did at Ohio State? He started in just 15 games in 3 years at OSU, played in only 3 games last season catching 5 passes for 43 yards and sat out the CFB playoffs. I sure as heck hope he does a little more for us than he did for Ohio State.

4XPIPS wrote:Last year stats are hampered from his injury, but are you ignoring when he was healthy the year prior he was 3rd in receive yards at 1606 yards in the country in 2021 in a very competitive conference. I mean I not saying he is going to put up Justin Jefferson type numbers this year, but I can clearly see him in that 40+ receptions and having 700+ yards and 5 to 7 tds this year. I think this would constitute a far amount of targets. He will eventually start for us at some point, you don't draft a guy in the 1st run to be a non starter. Yes I am hopeful he will do well for us, and he has not proven anything yet but if I was a bettin man I would put money he would finish with those stats this year.

I wasn't ignoring his healthy year. All I'm saying is that his total body of work at Ohio State isn't that impressive.

You're looking at it from a glass half full perspective, and I sure hope you're right. But the glass half empty part is that this is still a Pete Carroll offense that's hell bent on being run-first, he'll be playing behind two All Pro receivers, and he's going to miss at least a couple of games due to this injury and when he doe return, will likely be used sparingly as he fits into the offense. All the stars are going to have to line up perfectly in order for him to reach those goals, and it's not every rookie that steps in and produces right from the get-go, especially one who missed nearly the entire season of his last year in college.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't want to bet a whole lot of money on those numbers you're talking about.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:19 am

JSN is essenially playing the same role that Baldwin did in Seattle. Baldwin was an exeptionally talented, driven, and skilled guy, so it's up to JSN. I will say I think our current receivers are better than what we had in 2013, but these are good problems to have. We don't need great numbers from JSN, but he can help the team by taking any attention away from DK and Lock ,and vice versa. If we look at our main divisian rivals, I think we match up well and expect them to win at least one of the games vs the 49ers. Our O-line is better, I think we are deeper at RB wih Walker as talented as CMC in my book. The only secret weapon is Deebo, if he can keep it up.

I remember when I heard we signed a big UDFA from UCLA names Jake Bobo, I checked out his college highliths, and he looked like a tight end playing receiver, with very good hands, and a flair for getting open. It just shows how useless NFL scouts (and some GM's) can be when they discount a player because he can't run a sub 4.5 40, is if speed is the only thing that matters in the NFL.
I-5
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:13 am

I-5 wrote:JSN is essenially playing the same role that Baldwin did in Seattle. Baldwin was an exeptionally talented, driven, and skilled guy, so it's up to JSN. I will say I think our current receivers are better than what we had in 2013, but these are good problems to have. We don't need great numbers from JSN, but he can help the team by taking any attention away from DK and Lock ,and vice versa. If we look at our main divisian rivals, I think we match up well and expect them to win at least one of the games vs the 49ers. Our O-line is better, I think we are deeper at RB wih Walker as talented as CMC in my book. The only secret weapon is Deebo, if he can keep it up.

Good analogy with Baldwin, but there's a huge difference in their draft slotting.

I-5 wrote:I remember when I heard we signed a big UDFA from UCLA names Jake Bobo, I checked out his college highliths, and he looked like a tight end playing receiver, with very good hands, and a flair for getting open. It just shows how useless NFL scouts (and some GM's) can be when they discount a player because he can't run a sub 4.5 40, is if speed is the only thing that matters in the NFL.

Reminds me of Joe Jurevicius. One of the things JJ did that I hope Bobo does as well is that he was a heck of a blocker. That's an attribute that is often times overlooked in a wide receiver.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:40 am

I have no doubt that when he's on the field, he will open up one of the other WRs and/or a TE for favorable matchups. He's a big upgrade from what we have had for quite a while and this new Offense suits his skills perfectly.
But with DK and Lockett on the field, he will have limited opportunities relative to a lesser veteran receiving corps. He can be hugely effective, and if we add the RBs into the pass game mix then there should be a huge mismatch on every play.
If he has success early after getting back on the field, it will cause opposing defenses to adjust how they defend and make them decide who they want to take away. Adding a 3rd dominating Receiver makes it much more difficult for them.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby hoxgmp » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:56 am

If I am not mistaken, Bobo is a decent blocker. It will depend on how is used in Waldren's scheme.

JSN's injury doesn't appear to be serious but he has great hands and is very fluid and smooth in his route running.

I am a little concerned about the interior of DL. They need a big guy who can clog up the middle. Reed coming back will certainly help.
hoxgmp
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:00 am

For me, the question about our DL is will it be better than last year? I don't know at this point.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:37 am

hoxgmp wrote:If I am not mistaken, Bobo is a decent blocker. It will depend on how is used in Waldren's scheme.

That's good to hear. There were a few times last season where I got really frustrated at Metcalf's lame attempts at throwing a block.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:12 am

hoxgmp wrote:If I am not mistaken, Bobo is a decent blocker. It will depend on how is used in Waldren's scheme.

JSN's injury doesn't appear to be serious but he has great hands and is very fluid and smooth in his route running.

I am a little concerned about the interior of DL. They need a big guy who can clog up the middle. Reed coming back will certainly help.

Hey hox, welcome back!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:35 pm

Meh, surgery? We might’ve landed another warrior.
https://x.com/bradyhenderson/status/169 ... pMkhpLC7ng
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:47 pm

Stream Hawk wrote:Meh, surgery? We might’ve landed another warrior.
https://x.com/bradyhenderson/status/169 ... pMkhpLC7ng

That is awesome to see. Hopefully, he lives up to my bold predictions.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:58 pm

JSN cleared to play week 1! Well that is quite exciting considering he just had surgery recently. Can't wait to see him get one on one coverage with DK and Lock on the field. I know we are a running team, but I believe we are more balanced offense then ever. Exciting times!!! :D
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:28 pm

4XPIPS wrote:JSN cleared to play week 1! Well that is quite exciting considering he just had surgery recently. Can't wait to see him get one on one coverage with DK and Lock on the field. I know we are a running team, but I believe we are more balanced offense then ever. Exciting times!!! :D

I wouldn't expect him to get very much playing time this Sunday or even next week vs, the Lions. But yeah, it is good news that he's been released to play.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:11 pm

The Death Star is fully operational! Geno has his weapons.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:
I wouldn't expect him to get very much playing time this Sunday or even next week vs, the Lions. But yeah, it is good news that he's been released to play.

Yes you are correct......but I can't control my excitement so I will go out say he will get at least 4 targets this Sunday. That is my prediction, what he does on those 4 targets is beyond me lol :D

Anyone want to take the under ?
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:25 pm

RiverDog wrote:

4XPIPS wrote:Yes you are correct......but I can't control my excitement so I will go out say he will get at least 4 targets this Sunday. That is my prediction, what he does on those 4 targets is beyond me lol :D

Anyone want to take the under ?

Just for the hell of it, I'll take the under. But I do think he'll see 10-12 snaps, get him into the flow of the game.

And as long as we're talking about wide receivers, it will be interesting to see how many snaps they give Bobo.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:22 pm

RiverDog wrote:
...And as long as we're talking about wide receivers, it will be interesting to see how many snaps they give Bobo.

I predict Bobo blocks a punt this season. His quickness and size, I am calling a blocked punt for Bobo this season!
4XPIPS
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum