Prez off the PUP

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Prez off the PUP

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:25 pm

c_hawkbob
Legacy

Re: Prez off the PUP

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:38 pm

I am more likely to win the Mega Millions than see JA play the entire season
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:46 pm

Probably, but it's still good news. There wasn't a lot of upside to releasing him this season, so hopefully this means he's able to contribute something. I'll take anything I can get from him this season.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:40 pm

It's been nearly a year since he's been suited up on a football field, so we probably won't see much of him in the first few weeks of the season. I still say that we're a better defense without him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:51 pm

Jamal been off the PUP and on the field before, doesn't stop him from getting hurt and ending up out for the season.

Jamal played in 25 of 46 possible games. He' missed 21 games since he's been here not counting the playoffs, which means he's missed even more.

This is meaningless to me until Jamal proves he can stay on the field and do the job at a level equivalent to his pay.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:53 pm

I read somewhere that they plan to use his as a hybrid type S/LB, so when he does get to play I would think he won’t last long before getting injured again.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:48 pm

NorthHawk wrote:I read somewhere that they plan to use his as a hybrid type S/LB, so when he does get to play I would think he won’t last long before getting injured again.

Adams is just 6'1, 213 lbs, so if they play him at a hybrid LB, he's going to get swamped in the run game, which as we are all painfully aware, is our biggest weakness. And he's no Kam Chancellor when it comes to standing up tight ends, which is what he'll be asked to do if they play him on the LOS.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:37 pm

When he's out there he always one of the best players on the field. We are not a better defense without him.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:36 pm

Yeah, if we ca use him to his strengths he will greatly improve this defense. Have him as a will or any sort of blitzing lb and use Love as SS. Jamal should be a first world problem, and we should be stoked to have him.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:02 am

c_hawkbob wrote:When he's out there he always one of the best players on the field. We are not a better defense without him.

In 2021 in the games Jamal Adams played in we were 4-8, 3-2 in the games Adams missed. Our defense was ranked 28th overall. In 2022 with Adams missing all but part of the first game, our defense was ranked 26th and we finished 9-8.

While that's obviously not proof that our defense was better without him as there's a lot more factors in play besides Adams' presence or absence, there is no statistical evidence that would support the proposition that we are a better defense, or at least a better team, with him playing.

Adams is a liability in pass coverage and in 2021, defenses had figured out his pass rushing tendencies and were able to negate most of his effectiveness as he had no sacks, two QB hits, no forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries, and just two interceptions and four tackles for loss. Compare those numbers to his 2020 performance where he had 9.5 sacks, 14 QB hits, and 11 tackles for loss.

So I stand by what I said. We are a better defense with Adams not on the field than we are when he's playing, or at least we were in the past (2020 vs. 2021). There is the possibility that Pete has finally figured out how best to take advantage of his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses, but he's not going to be much of a factor in the early part of the season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:36 am

gosh, this guy is good, incredibly fragile but good....one has to keep his fingers crossed every time he is on the field.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:46 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:When he's out there he always one of the best players on the field. We are not a better defense without him.

We could have been a better defense with the two first round picks we traded for him. We could use the 18 million we're paying him for a better player. I'm ready to move on from Jamal.

We don't need two expensive safeties. We need that money for a good nose in the middle or a LB upgrade.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:07 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:We could have been a better defense with the two first round picks we traded for him. We could use the 18 million we're paying him for a better player. I'm ready to move on from Jamal.

We don't need two expensive safeties. We need that money for a good nose in the middle or a LB upgrade.

I'm not quite ready to move on. Thanks to this albatross of a contract, we're stuck with him another year, so we might as well make the most of it.

I'm dubious of this attempt to turn him into a hybrid linebacker/safety, but I've been wrong before. The problem is that he's not going to be at full strength until well into the season, at best after our Week 5 bye.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:37 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:We could have been a better defense with the two first round picks we traded for him. We could use the 18 million we're paying him for a better player. I'm ready to move on from Jamal.

I don't necessarily disagree with that (though it is not a given, every game he misses makes it more true) but it fails to effect the veracity of my statement.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:33 am

If he's going to be playing a LB/S hybrid, I doubt he lasts the season. He's already got shoulder and hand concerns and now with the quadricept issue, he will have trouble staying healthy playing against 300 lb Guards and 260 lb TEs who are blocking him.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:18 pm

Agent 86
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:50 am

4XPIPS wrote:I am more likely to win the Mega Millions than see JA play the entire season

OMG, lol. I hear ya!
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:43 am

It's about time, but we were up against the Cap with only about $2M in space and this gives us room for acquiring players in the event of injury or maybe a panic to fill the NT position in a few games.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:54 am

4XPIPS wrote:I am more likely to win the Mega Millions than see JA play the entire season

Spohawk5092 wrote:OMG, lol. I hear ya!

Since he's been ruled out for the first game, it would be a pretty safe bet that he won't play the entire season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:36 pm

RiverDog wrote:Since he's been ruled out for the first game, it would be a pretty safe bet that he won't play the entire season.

Well in past times when players came off the PUP list they usually were a couple weeks ahead on their recovery. When it was first announced that Prez was off the PUP, and considering he injured himself so early last season I thought for sure he would be ready for the home opener. Even with this long recovery and slowly working him back in by lets say week 2 or week 3 I would imagine he still won't finish the season healthy. I can see one or two things happening; either he continues to play reckless and throws his body in harms way to keep making physical plays and gets hurt again, or he actually wises up and starts play more cautious while at the same time not being as effective and the hawks move on from him after the season. Either way to get the most from him the season is to get him out there and hope he can get back to the blitz/sacking DB he was when we first had him and cause havoc for opposing QBs.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:20 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Well in past times when players came off the PUP list they usually were a couple weeks ahead on their recovery. When it was first announced that Prez was off the PUP, and considering he injured himself so early last season I thought for sure he would be ready for the home opener. Even with this long recovery and slowly working him back in by lets say week 2 or week 3 I would imagine he still won't finish the season healthy. I can see one or two things happening; either he continues to play reckless and throws his body in harms way to keep making physical plays and gets hurt again, or he actually wises up and starts play more cautious while at the same time not being as effective and the hawks move on from him after the season. Either way to get the most from him the season is to get him out there and hope he can get back to the blitz/sacking DB he was when we first had him and cause havoc for opposing QBs.

The problem is that "playing reckless and throwing his body in harm's way" is what made Adams an All Pro. Take that aspect away from his game and he's an average or below average DB.

My guess is that even when Adams does return, that we'll use him sparingly, maybe 30 snaps per game as part of some sort of special 3rd down or passing situation package. That's certainly not going to result in us getting our money's worth out of him, but it's better than a kick in the butt.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum