49'ers Throw In The Towel On Trey Lance

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

49'ers Throw In The Towel On Trey Lance

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:36 am

Traded to the Cowboys for a 4th round pick:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/trey- ... s-nfl-news

This has to go down in NFL history as one of the worst utilizations of draft picks ever. The 49'ers gave up 3 first round picks and a 3rd rounder to move up 9 spots to take Lance. Now, just a little over two years after taking him with the #3 overall pick, the Niners are moving on from him.

I guess that should help soften the pain of our trade for Jamal Adams. I can just imagine John Lynch and John Schneider sitting at a bar with tears in their beers.

And another tidbit:

Lance’s four starts will be the fewest for any quarterback taken in the top five of the draft in the common draft era for the team he made his debut. Jack Thompson had the previous low after starting five games for Cincinnati after being taken third overall in 1979.
Last edited by RiverDog on Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: 49'ers Throw In The Towel On Trey Lance

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:47 am

Hey, you still my thunder. Just started a thread on this an hour ago. ;) But yes, what a horrible trade. In theory that should help to start their empire crumbling.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:49 am

RiverDog wrote:.

I guess that should help soften the pain of our trade for Jamal Adams. I can just imagine John Lynch and John Schneider sitting at a bar with tears in their beers.

But what if Jamal makes the pro bowl (or better this year)? Lance trade takes the cake.
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:52 am

Stream Hawk wrote:Hey, you still my thunder. Just started a thread on this an hour ago. ;) But yes, what a horrible trade. In theory that should help to start their empire crumbling.

Jeez, that's what I get for posting before checking the forum. Sorry about that, man. It wasn't my intention.

Stream Hawk wrote:But what if Jamal makes the pro bowl (or better this year)? Lance trade takes the cake.

It doesn't matter what Adams does. We could cut him today and it still wouldn't top the ROI that the Niners got from Lance. I was just thinking that misery likes company and was trying to imagine Lynch and Schneider swapping sob stories.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:55 pm

Big difference is that Schneider knew Adams could play, but injuries robbed him. Lance was an unknown with only 17 career starts, and those at N Dakota State.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:00 pm

TriCitySam wrote:Big difference is that Schneider knew Adams could play, but injuries robbed him. Lance was an unknown with only 17 career starts, and those at N Dakota State.

Agreed.

BTW, does anyone else besides me remember the 26-27-60 rule in drafting quarterbacks? It was scoring a 26 on the Wonderlic, 27 starts, and a 60% career completion percentage.

As TCS mentioned, Lance had just 17 career starts at ND State, a FCS school.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:54 am

He knew Adams could play at the NFL level, yet in the 2nd year Pete was still undecided as to how to use him. Surely they didn't give up all that draft capital just hoping for 1 year of creating some sort of pass rush.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:40 pm

RiverDog wrote:BTW, does anyone else besides me remember the 26-27-60 rule in drafting quarterbacks? It was scoring a 26 on the Wonderlic, 27 starts, and a 60% career completion percentage.

That was the gist of it, that if you had those you had a chance to succeed in the NFL. Brock Purdy scored 33, had something like 48 starts and nearly 68% in completions.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:01 pm

RiverDog wrote:BTW, does anyone else besides me remember the 26-27-60 rule in drafting quarterbacks? It was scoring a 26 on the Wonderlic, 27 starts, and a 60% career completion percentage.

TriCitySam wrote:That was the gist of it, that if you had those you had a chance to succeed in the NFL. Brock Purdy scored 33, had something like 48 starts and nearly 68% in completions.

Yeah, I remember that Jake Locker missed and missed badly on 2 out of the 3, Wonderlic and completion percentage. Although we can't call him a complete bust because he did start for a year or two, he never lived up to his billing. Tebow missed badly on the Wonderlic.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:34 am

Experience is probably the biggest factor. If you look at Lance, it was said he only played something like 14 games since High School.
But the draft is about selecting potential and teams saw a lot of potential and SF pulled the trigger on a huge trade. It was a gamble that didn't pan out.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:27 am

NorthHawk wrote:Experience is probably the biggest factor. If you look at Lance, it was said he only played something like 14 games since High School.

Lance started in 17 games for ND State, but I get your point.

NorthHawk wrote:But the draft is about selecting potential and teams saw a lot of potential and SF pulled the trigger on a huge trade. It was a gamble that didn't pan out.

I saw this little tidbit which shook off some cobwebs:

Lance’s four starts will be the fewest for any quarterback taken in the top five of the draft in the common draft era for the team he made his debut. Jack Thompson had the previous low after starting five games for Cincinnati after being taken third overall in 1979.

Jack Thompson played his high school ball in the Puget Sound area (Evergreen, I believe) and his college ball at WSU. I saw him play on a number of occasions. But I'm pretty sure that he started more than 17 games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum