Down to 53....

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Down to 53....

Postby TriCitySam » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:29 am

Plenty of speculation that DeeJay gets cut, have a hard time believing they go into the season with just 3 RB, unless it's to keep an additional body on the DL (or maybe LB - speculation Devin Bush will go), so that would suggest they may keep Thompson over DeeJay. I doubt there are any other real surprises coming, but looks like we could have 8 or 9 rookies make this team - although there is some talent in our draft class, the injury bug is slowing them down.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Re: Down to 53....

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:26 pm

TriCitySam wrote:Plenty of speculation that DeeJay gets cut, have a hard time believing they go into the season with just 3 RB, unless it's to keep an additional body on the DL (or maybe LB - speculation Devin Bush will go), so that would suggest they may keep Thompson over DeeJay. I doubt there are any other real surprises coming, but looks like we could have 8 or 9 rookies make this team - although there is some talent in our draft class, the injury bug is slowing them down.

It would be a huge mistake to let Dallas go, and I'd be shocked if we did.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:55 pm

If we are discussing potential/borderline surprise cuts:

I agree it would be a big mistake letting Dallas go, and a massive surprise cut.

Have we seen enough of Devin Bush to say he makes the 53? When he was drafted as a 1st rounder for the Steelers he was slated to be the future starter, and then suffered injuries and they didn't pick up his 5th year option. I think he would be too pricey to be regulated to special teams duties. Also, his injury history seems to get the better of him now, but I can see the hawks moving on from him.

How about Tre Brown or Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson at times looking a starting DB, but at other times looks below average. Tre Brown hasn't played a whole a lot to prove he can be a starter, and we see it every year starting caliber players waived before start of season. It would be a surprise if either of these guys get cuts.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:12 pm

We gotta be looking for a fat boy on the waiver wire. We're not doing great at interior D-line.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:31 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:We gotta be looking for a fat boy on the waiver wire. We're not doing great at interior D-line.

I would take a flyer on a proven DT who still has a lot left in the tank. Matt Ioannidis, he still remains unsigned and he is a solid run stopper. He isn't a fat boy, but looks like a character from the move 300. He is 29, and still in his prime, but I don't think he will come cheap so it wouldn't be a cost saving move.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:44 pm

4XPIPS wrote:If we are discussing potential/borderline surprise cuts:

I agree it would be a big mistake letting Dallas go, and a massive surprise cut.

Have we seen enough of Devin Bush to say he makes the 53? When he was drafted as a 1st rounder for the Steelers he was slated to be the future starter, and then suffered injuries and they didn't pick up his 5th year option. I think he would be too pricey to be regulated to special teams duties. Also, his injury history seems to get the better of him now, but I can see the hawks moving on from him.

How about Tre Brown or Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson at times looking a starting DB, but at other times looks below average. Tre Brown hasn't played a whole a lot to prove he can be a starter, and we see it every year starting caliber players waived before start of season. It would be a surprise if either of these guys get cuts.

I've been underwhelmed by Mike Jackson for quite some time, and his performance in the preseason has done nothing to change that opinion, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we moved away from him and give someone else a shot.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby I-5 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:33 pm

Man, I think it would be a mistake to cut Dallas, too. He's not flashy, but he's pretty dependable and serviceable on offense and ST. If he does get cut it might be because of what SaRodorick Thompson has shown this preseason, since we haven't even seen McIntosh play. If they keep 4 backs that is.
I-5
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:33 pm

I-5 wrote:Man, I think it would be a mistake to cut Dallas, too. He's not flashy, but he's pretty dependable and serviceable on offense and ST. If he does get cut it might be because of what SaRodorick Thompson has shown this preseason, since we haven't even seen McIntosh play. If they keep 4 backs that is.

I would be very shocked and upset if they did cut Dallas. He is in a contract year, not that he would be a candidate to hold out for big money, but he would play hard for a future whether it would be here or somewhere else. He has been one of the most reliable backs for us the last few seasons. I know he won't be a game changer by any means, but his ability to fill in for an temporary injury here or there and play special teams is invaluable.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:27 am

I-5 wrote:Man, I think it would be a mistake to cut Dallas, too. He's not flashy, but he's pretty dependable and serviceable on offense and ST. If he does get cut it might be because of what SaRodorick Thompson has shown this preseason, since we haven't even seen McIntosh play. If they keep 4 backs that is.

4XPIPS wrote:I would be very shocked and upset if they did cut Dallas. He is in a contract year, not that he would be a candidate to hold out for big money, but he would play hard for a future whether it would be here or somewhere else. He has been one of the most reliable backs for us the last few seasons. I know he won't be a game changer by any means, but his ability to fill in for an temporary injury here or there and play special teams is invaluable.

He could also draw some interest in a possible trade. I have a hard time believing that we'd just cut him.

We won't have to wait much longer. Teams have to be down to 53 today by 4pm ET.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:58 am

With two rookies already likely to make the cut at RB, I can't see them dropping a guy that has experience, especially as a 3rd down back and special teamer, in favor of a UDFA. Walker, Charb, Dallas, and McIntosh sounds pretty good to me.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:29 am

He's on the last year of his rookie contract, so if they think that one of the other RBs is as good, they might be looking down the road as they can get him cheap for another 4 years.
The business side is always a factor in these decisions, unfortunately.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:17 am

That's entirely possible, though I set that against Walker who is in his 2nd year and two other guys on their rookie deal. I wouldn't take a UDFA rookie over Dallas, but that could very well be what they do for the reason you mentioned.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:50 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:That's entirely possible, though I set that against Walker who is in his 2nd year and two other guys on their rookie deal. I wouldn't take a UDFA rookie over Dallas, but that could very well be what they do for the reason you mentioned.

If they want to keep him beyond this year then it will cost them more than he's making today, but they know that the other RBs on the roster won't.
Maybe he won't get cut after all.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:18 am

Here's a link to nfl.com for all teams cuts:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-roster-cut ... 023-season
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:28 pm

It sounds like Bobo has made the cut:

Source: Rookie WR Jake Bobo has officially made the #Seahawks’ 53 as an UDFA.

Geno Smith is a big fan of Bobo’s, whose sensational releases have been a focal point. His innate ability to get open and overall feel for the position are well regarded. Plus, he can really block.

The 6-4 former #UCLA star has made one helluva first impression in Seattle.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/stat ... _&ref_url=
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:06 pm

RiverDog wrote:It sounds like Bobo has made the cut:

Source: Rookie WR Jake Bobo has officially made the #Seahawks’ 53 as an UDFA.

Geno Smith is a big fan of Bobo’s, whose sensational releases have been a focal point. His innate ability to get open and overall feel for the position are well regarded. Plus, he can really block.

The 6-4 former #UCLA star has made one helluva first impression in Seattle.

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/stat ... _&ref_url=

Right on, More Bobo!
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:42 pm

Really thought they'd keep Gotel. We've got no one on the roster pushing the kind of size that Tony McDaniel and Al Woods brought besides Mone who isn't healthy yet. Maybe Gotel goes to the PS.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:19 pm

I didn't watch a lot of the preseason, but what I did watch I think I was most impressed with Bobo than any of our rookies. As big as he is, he and Metcalf could cause some real dilemmas for DC's, create some height mismatches.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:26 pm

No where close to being a burner, but looks to be a savvy route runner and willing blocker. Hoping he can excel on end zone mismatches.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:48 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:No where close to being a burner, but looks to be a savvy route runner and willing blocker. Hoping he can excel on end zone mismatches.

Is speed overrated? I love how everyone keeps bringing up his slow 40 speed on his pro day when they talk about Bobo. Thanks to NFL + Premium living where I live now, I can watch all games condensed. I did watch all the games this preseason and noticed one thing about Bobo, and that he creates separation. Didn't the Bengals years back draft the fastest recorded 40 time WR, and I can't remember his name, but he did little to nothing with his NFL career? I mean for a guy who measured a slow 40 time, sure knows how to beat the jam at the line and creates separation. So glad he is part of the team and hopefully he becomes a household name like Doug Baldwin who was also an undrafted WR and made a name for himself as a hawk!
Congrats Bobo!!
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:59 pm

Here's our 53 man roster:

Quarterback (2)
Geno Smith, Drew Lock

Running Back (4)
Kenneth Walker III, Zach Charbonnet (R), Kenny McIntosh (R), DeeJay Dallas

Wide Receiver (6)
Tyler Lockett, DK Metcalf, Jaxon Smith-Njigba (R), Jake Bobo (R), Dareke Young, Cody Thompson

Tight End (3)
Will Dissly, Noah Fant, Colby Parkinson

Offensive Line (9)
Charles Cross, Damien Lewis, Evan Brown, Phil Haynes, Abraham Lucas, Anthony Bradford (R), Olu Oluwatimi (R), Jake Curhan, Stone Forsythe,

Defensive Line (6)
Dre’Mont Jones, Jarran Reed, Mario Edwards Jr., Cameron Young (R), Mike Morris (R), Myles Adams

Linebacker (10)
Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Devin Bush, Nick Bellore, Jon Rhattigan, Uchenna Nwosu, Darrell Taylor, Boye Mafe, Tyreke Smith, Derick Hall (R)

Cornerback (6)
Tariq Woolen, Mike Jackson, Tre Brown, Devon Witherspoon (R), Coby Bryant, Artie Burns

Safety (4)
Quandre Diggs, Jamal Adams, Julian Love, Jerrick Reed (R)

Special Teams (3)
Jason Myers, Michael Dickson, Chris Stoll (R)

PUP (2)
NTs Bryan Mone and Austin Faoliu

-These two must miss at least the first four games of the season
Last edited by RiverDog on Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:02 pm

4XPIPS wrote:Is speed overrated? I love how everyone keeps bringing up his slow 40 speed on his pro day when they talk about Bobo. Thanks to NFL + Premium living where I live now, I can watch all games condensed. I did watch all the games this preseason and noticed one thing about Bobo, and that he creates separation. Didn't the Bengals years back draft the fastest recorded 40 time WR, and I can't remember his name, but he did little to nothing with his NFL career? I mean for a guy who measured a slow 40 time, sure knows how to beat the jam at the line and creates separation. So glad he is part of the team and hopefully he becomes a household name like Doug Baldwin who was also an undrafted WR and made a name for himself as a hawk!
Congrats Bobo!!

IMO speed is overrated. Cooper Kupp is one of the slowest receivers in the game, yet two years ago, he won receiving's triple crown and the Super Bowl MVP.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:36 pm

Bobo made it. Cool.
Eskridge is gone?
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:42 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Bobo made it. Cool.
Eskridge is gone?

Eskridge looks gone, but Esop Winston got the boot. Rather take a shot with Esop than Dee IMO. I keep hearing from the seahawk beat riders that Eskridge can be a game changer with his speed and quickness, but after going through the CJ Prosise experiment not too long ago I think we can all agree that the writing is on the wall that Eskridge isn't worth much to the casual fan. I felt his 6 game suspension would have been the tipping point.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:17 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Bobo made it. Cool.
Eskridge is gone?

He was officially placed on the reserve/suspended list, so he remains part of the team but not the active roster. He is eligible to return on Oct.23 but someone will have to be waived to make room.

I read Dareke Young may need hip surgery and be placed on IR which would create an immediate spot on the roster for possibly Winston Jr. So those first 6 weeks would give someone like Winston Jr., Cody Thompson, and Bobo time to show their stuff to win the job over Eskridge when it's time for him to return.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:11 am

Aseahawkfan wrote:Eskridge is gone?

As Agent 86 said, he's suspended for the first 6 games for violating the league's personal conduct policy. We discussed it a few months ago:

He will be allowed to be placed back on the team's active roster on Monday, Oct. 23, following Seattle's Week 7 game against the Arizona Cardinals.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/381 ... uct-policy

A BS suspension IMO. 6 games is excessive for a misdemeanor charge of which he's taken full responsibility for and has jumped through all the hoops. DeShawn Watson got just 11 games for all the incidents he was charged/accused with.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:06 am

Eskridge may very well be gone, but we won't know for 6 weeks or is it 7 because of the bye? Regardless, there's no incentive to let him go now. I'm as down on his availability as anyone else, but a lot can happen in 7 weeks, and he does know the system. They may need him.

Other than that, really surprised Gotel didn't make it and even Roderick Perry for that matter. Hoping something 1 or both end up on the PS and they find someone among the other teams' cuts. Still not sure that Al Woods/Tony McDaniel type is out there, but, maybe, that's not what they are looking for.

Happy to see Bobo there. Preseason is preseason, but I like what I saw. A commenter on FieldGulls mentioned it, and I agree he is reminiscent of Joe Jurevicius. I'll take a contributor like that.

Keep Dallas was the right move. An incredibly young stable of RBs needs a veteran.

Not a lot of surprises; just hope they make a move on the DL.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:33 am

This isn't the final roster. There's a lot of changes to come across the league as teams look at other players and some surprise cuts.
I just hope we can snag a player on the interior of the DL who can at least provide some type of anchor in the middle. In looking at the cuts across the league there are a number of big men who've come available.
I don't know if any are an upgrade, but we do need some help there. There are a couple of 30 to 32 year old veterans that might work in our situation.
Perhaps their thinking with Gotel is that he has a high possibility of being able to land on the PS and move up if he develops further.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:28 am

Interesting they claimed another CB - Kyu Blue Kelly - a '23 5th round pick. Would guess maybe they were interested in him during the draft and are bringing him in to take a look - they waived CB Artie Burns to do that, who I thought he played fairly well in the preseason. Also claimed rookie LB Drake Thomas. Put up big numbers at NC State, but didn't participate in combine or any post season games. Decent sized at 5' 11" and 238.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:48 pm

This is one of those good news/bad news things:

No Seahawks players claimed off waivers

Tuesday the Seattle Seahawks, along with the other 31 NFL teams, pared their roster down to 53 players in preparation for the regular season, and on Wednesday will begin building the practice squad for the 2023 season. In between those, however, comes the waiver period, when the rest of the league has the ability to put in a claim on the players waived by the Seahawks.

So, of the 32 players waived by the Seahawks since Sunday, none of them had claims put in by other teams, and all will be eligible to sign with the Seattle practice squad.

The good news is that we'll be able to sign any of the players we cut, guys like Easop Winston and Levi Bell to the practice squad. The bad news is that our talent must be pretty thin if no one picked up any of the players we cut.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:24 pm

It is PS guys; they can't be that much better than their PS level peers, so I'm thinking familiarity counts for something. We shouldn't be relying on these guys too much in any case.

I saw where Matt Gotel made it. At least there's a big body now available if one of our DL goes down.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:24 pm

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:It is PS guys; they can't be that much better than their PS level peers, so I'm thinking familiarity counts for something. We shouldn't be relying on these guys too much in any case.

I saw where Matt Gotel made it. At least there's a big body now available if one of our DL goes down.

Well, that's one way to look at it. Nevertheless, that's a lot of players and there's 31 other teams out there.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:18 pm

I don't care who didn't want our other cuts, I'm happy to see Ahlers and Levi Bell and Gotel and Hunt at least back on our PS. Those guys all looked pretty decent in preseason and it's nice to have familiarity there.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:44 pm

I hope we pick up at least one fat butt on the waivers. Someone must have cut someone.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Agent 86 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:45 pm

Practice squad update.....15 signed today, all from the Seahawks training camp.....

We will now see who of the original 53 will be placed on IR and some of these guys below promoted to the active 53 man roster.

QB Holton Ahlers
OLB Levi Bell
CB Lance Boykin
CB Artie Burns
T Greg Eiland
NT Matthew Gotel
C Joey Hunt
WR Cade Johnson
RB Bryant Koback
WR Matt Landers
TE Tyler Mabry
LB Patrick O'Connell
S Ty Okada
RB SaRodorick Thompson
WR Easop Winston Jr.
Agent 86
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:46 am

There were some players that would have fit the bill inside the DL and I'm disappointed we didn't at least have a look at a couple of them when we clearly have a weak spot up the middle, providing that we actually use the 3-4 alignment as the base DL configuration. They probably wouldn't have been Pro Bowl players like we got when we picked up Bennett way back when, but all a pickup had to do was to be better than what's currently on the roster. Our depth up the middle seems slight at the moment with Reed and Young there, but Young is already injured, so what happens if Reed gets dinged up? I suspect we will see Gotel moved into the starting lineup earlier than it currently looks, if just to take up space in the middle and give Reed a breather.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:28 am

Did you mean moved to the 53 or do you really think Gotel is going to start?
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:44 am

c_hawkbob wrote:Did you mean moved to the 53 or do you really think Gotel is going to start?

At NT we have Reed and Young. Young is injured, so we have Reed.
The math says we either have to use a different front or get some help in the middle if only to give Reed a breather.
So I would expect to see Gotel moved to the 53 at some point unless Cam Young is ready to start the season. But if he is ready and one of them gets injured, we are back in the mess of smaller players playing NT filling in.

But there's always the chance Pete decides to go with lighter players at NT. I don't know if it has ever worked in a 3-4, but he may try.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:51 am

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:It is PS guys; they can't be that much better than their PS level peers, so I'm thinking familiarity counts for something. We shouldn't be relying on these guys too much in any case.

Yeah, teams will favor ones they know, partly because it's difficult to bring someone into a new system this late.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum