The Season Has Begun!

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

The Season Has Begun!

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:43 am

It started out bad for me as my plan was to start watching at around 6:15pm and fast forward through some of the commercials and halftime, but something happened to my DVR, so I had to pick it up about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Detroit looked really good. Their defense is one heck of a lot better than it was last year when we beat them 45-42. Adian Hutchinson is going to be the next Nick Bosa. Geez, how I wish we had a DL like him! He was constantly harassing Mahomes, who had a so-so game, making some bad decisions by forcing balls into covered receivers. Obviously, the play of the game was a pick 6 off a deflection on a ball that should have been caught.

And you gotta love their head coach, Dan Campbell. Did anyone catch his interview at halftime? That guy runs shivers up my spine. He's every bit the enthusiastic personality that Pete Carroll is, but 20 some years younger and more physically imposing. He's like a little kid on a sugar high, as excited as a one-armed ping pong player with crabs.

Someone needs to explain something to me: WTF was Andy Reid doing by going for it on 4th and 25 with 2:09 remaining from his own 30 when he had all 3 timeouts and the 2-minute warning and needing just a FG to win? Was that what analytics told him to do?

The other thing someone needs to explain to me is how the Chiefs right tackle could get away with both false starts and lining up off the LOS? He was doing both all night long. Even the announcers picked up on it. They finally caught him on a false start late in the game, but the guy was jumping early all night long and his stance in passing situations was clearly off the LOS. Whoever is the line judge was needs to be reprimanded.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: The Season Has Begun!

Postby Rambo2014 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:48 am

Yes The season has begun and the Seahawks are at 500 now. Highest and drop to bottom begins Sunday. Geno will revert

Rams 34
Sea 6
Rambo2014
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:55 am

RiverDog wrote:It started out bad for me as my plan was to start watching at around 6:15pm and fast forward through some of the commercials and halftime, but something happened to my DVR, so I had to pick it up about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Detroit looked really good. Their defense is one heck of a lot better than it was last year when we beat them 45-42. Adian Hutchinson is going to be the next Nick Bosa. Geez, how I wish we had a DL like him! He was constantly harassing Mahomes, who had a so-so game, making some bad decisions by forcing balls into covered receivers. Obviously, the play of the game was a pick 6 off a deflection on a ball that should have been caught.

And you gotta love their head coach, Dan Campbell. Did anyone catch his interview at halftime? That guy runs shivers up my spine. He's every bit the enthusiastic personality that Pete Carroll is, but 20 some years younger and more physically imposing. He's like a little kid on a sugar high, as excited as a one-armed ping pong player with crabs.

Someone needs to explain something to me: WTF was Andy Reid doing by going for it on 4th and 25 with 2:09 remaining from his own 30 when he had all 3 timeouts and the 2-minute warning and needing just a FG to win? Was that what analytics told him to do?

The other thing someone needs to explain to me is how the Chiefs right tackle could get away with both false starts and lining up off the LOS? He was doing both all night long. Even the announcers picked up on it. They finally caught him on a false start late in the game, but the guy was jumping early all night long and his stance in passing situations was clearly off the LOS. Whoever is the line judge was needs to be reprimanded.

Detroit looked pretty good last night and when they put their mind to it they pushed the DL back. To me that suggests they will try to run the ball more and test the interior of our DL. It will be interesting how it turns out.
PFT discusses the holding and off sides by the OT and said the following:
At one point, Chris Simms made a great point on PFT Live. As he sees it (and he’s right), defensive linemen have gotten better and better. Offensive linemen are overmatched. Officials are likely not calling false starts and/or holding helps to even things out.

It also helps to keep passing games moving and, most importantly, to keep quarterbacks from getting hit and, in turn, getting hurt.

It makes sense considering the emphasis on protecting the QB.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:24 am

NorthHawk wrote:PFT discusses the holding and off sides by the OT and said the following:

At one point, Chris Simms made a great point on PFT Live. As he sees it (and he’s right), defensive linemen have gotten better and better. Offensive linemen are overmatched. Officials are likely not calling false starts and/or holding helps to even things out.

It also helps to keep passing games moving and, most importantly, to keep quarterbacks from getting hit and, in turn, getting hurt.

It makes sense considering the emphasis on protecting the QB.

I don't buy that excuse. The league never made a point of emphasis on it, and I never heard of any talk about rule changes or interpetations. At one point, former referee Terry McCauley came on and said point blank that the refs were missing it when the RT wasn't lined up on the LOS, saying that his helmet had to be on an imaginary line from the center's waistline:

Taylor appeared well behind the LOS and appeared to start early throughout the game.

"To be on the line, his helmet has to break the waistline of the center," NBC Sports' Terry McAulay explained during the broadcast. "And to be honest, we've watched [Taylor] the whole game. He's really not remotely close, and it's really putting the defensive end at a tremendous disadvantage when he can be that far back."

As ProFootballTalk noted, Taylor also appeared to be getting away with pre-snap movement, consistently shifting his right leg before the snap while failing to draw false-start penalties.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chie ... -to-lions/

I can understand overlooking it once or twice, but as the article says, he was doing both all game long until they finally called him for a false start late in the game.

And I'd like to hear someone explain to me Andy Reid's decision to go for it on 4th and 25 from his own 30. That made absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:50 pm

Here's another factor in Reid's head scratching decision to go for it on 4th and 25 from his own 30:

Making Reid's decision even more puzzling is how unwilling he was to go for it on fourth-and-short several times on Thursday night. The Chiefs kicked field goals twice against the Lions on fourth-and-2 while deciding to punt on fourth-and-2 more than once in the second half. Adding to the mystery, the Chiefs were flagged for a false start on the previous play, pushing them back five yards on fourth-and-20. Yet, Reid stuck to his guns and went for it again, even with a second chance to ponder things.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:33 pm

Did anyone do a season prediction thread? I can't remember.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:56 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Did anyone do a season prediction thread? I can't remember.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4501
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby jshawaii22 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:07 pm

First Friday Injury Report:
Kids sure heal quick as almost all the players we thought were out or questionable (except for Adams and Kenny McIntosh) are looking good to go.
My prediction for '23 is all about our 2 rookie tackles. They hit the wall about game 12 last year and it was downhill really quick from there. You could see in in Geno's play. No rookie wall this year, we could challenge 49'ers with about 11 - 12 wins. We do have a really hard schedule, but so do the 49ers.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/2023-week-1-seahawks-vs-rams-injury-report
jshawaii22
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:10 pm

RiverDog wrote:http://www.hawkshack.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4501

Thanks.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:08 am

jshawaii22 wrote:First Friday Injury Report:
Kids sure heal quick as almost all the players we thought were out or questionable (except for Adams and Kenny McIntosh) are looking good to go.
My prediction for '23 is all about our 2 rookie tackles. They hit the wall about game 12 last year and it was downhill really quick from there. You could see in in Geno's play. No rookie wall this year, we could challenge 49'ers with about 11 - 12 wins. We do have a really hard schedule, but so do the 49ers.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/2023-week-1-seahawks-vs-rams-injury-report

Witherspoon is listed as questionable and most likely won't play, and I doubt that we see very much of JSN.

Interesting that you mentioned our two bookends. It will be interesting to see how they perform because as you said, they hit a wall at the end of last season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum