Abe Lucas to the IR

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Abe Lucas to the IR

Postby RiverDog » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:50 pm

It means that he'll miss at least 4 games:

The Seattle Seahawks have placed their starting right tackle Abe Lucas on the injured reserve list. That will keep him sidelined for at least the next four games. Additionally, the team announced the signing of OT Raiqwon O’Neal off the Buccaneers practice squad as well as OT McClendon Curtis off the Raiders practice squad.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/galle ... d-reserve/
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: Abe Lucas to the IR

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:41 am

As well as added Jason Peters.
I wonder if this injury that is stated as chronic was known before the draft. I didn't hear about it during that process, but if it was known, it would give reason for him to last until the 4th round.
And if they did know about it, why didn't they have a backup plan? Another roll of the dice with the OL much like we did at Center after the Unger trade and constant shuffling the past 10 years.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:02 am

Forsythe then Curhan are the back up plan for one of the tackles going down. Not often both starting tackles go down; I don't consider that a reasonable outcome to plan for.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:29 am

North Hawk wrote:As well as added Jason Peters.
I wonder if this injury that is stated as chronic was known before the draft. I didn't hear about it during that process, but if it was known, it would give reason for him to last until the 4th round.
And if they did know about it, why didn't they have a backup plan? Another roll of the dice with the OL much like we did at Center after the Unger trade and constant shuffling the past 10 years.

MackStrongIsMyHero wrote:Forsythe then Curhan are the back up plan for one of the tackles going down. Not often both starting tackles go down; I don't consider that a reasonable outcome to plan for.

Yeah, I agree with Mack. Both of those guys have seen extensive playing time, so it's not like we're tossing a couple of untested rookies or UFDA's in there. Besides, we can't afford to spend draft picks on offensive linemen as RB's and WR's are a much greater priority, or at least that's what people have been telling me. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:57 pm

I hate it when guys Abe Lucas's size have knee problems this early in their career. Knees are usually degenerative and especially so on guys that big.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Spohawk5092 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:22 pm

injuries everywhere are shaping up to be the big story this early into the season for just about everyone.
Spohawk5092
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:34 pm

At least these injuries aren't season ending and would appear both tackles should be able to come back the early part of the schedule and contribute. The 49ers are a team that gets hit with the injury bug year after year but they always seems to stay competitive. Our injuries are a set back, but before the injuries we weren't competitive so I can only imagine the workload getting tougher for us as we prepare for a hungry team next week. Lions started so poorly last year, and made a tremendous run to close out the season, and in all honesty probably deserved to go to the playoffs more that we did last year based on how they finished. I don't for see a win this upcoming week but hopefully we can keep the game close and catch the Lions making a mistake.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:37 am

I always have trouble with toe injuries because they can end careers.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:55 am

4XPIPS wrote:At least these injuries aren't season ending and would appear both tackles should be able to come back the early part of the schedule and contribute. The 49ers are a team that gets hit with the injury bug year after year but they always seems to stay competitive. Our injuries are a set back, but before the injuries we weren't competitive so I can only imagine the workload getting tougher for us as we prepare for a hungry team next week. Lions started so poorly last year, and made a tremendous run to close out the season, and in all honesty probably deserved to go to the playoffs more that we did last year based on how they finished. I don't for see a win this upcoming week but hopefully we can keep the game close and catch the Lions making a mistake.

I'm not so sure about Lucas. He had the same issue with his knee back in the spring, so is a week or two's rest really going to make a difference?

And like North Hawk said, toe injuries are very concerning, and brings back memories of Jack Lambert's career ending early due to turf toe. It sounds like such a wimpy injury, like breaking a fingernail or something.

This is not a good way to start the season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:09 pm

Cross has been ruled out for Sunday's game with the Lions, too:

The Seahawks will be without both of their starting offensive tackles against the Lions on Sunday.

Head coach Pete Carroll said on KIRO that left tackle Charles Cross has been ruled out due to a toe injury.

“With Charles, we’re gonna go week to week and see what happens,” Carroll said. “He made good improvement by the end of the week, but not enough to get him ready to play. We’ll talk all about it next week and see where it is and if he’s fortunate enough. With those big toe sprains that they get, those can be pretty hard on everybody, particularly the big guys. So we’re gonna see how that how he gets through it. But he did make good improvement, which is a real good sign.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ch ... e843&ei=20
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:14 pm

Defense will really have to step up to make this a game if Detroit brings their A game.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby Stream Hawk » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:48 pm

Fantasic. I think this falls flat on Waldron’s plate. Dude needs to scheme up some magic. Wizard McVay also had a brand new & completely inexperienced OL last week that allowed Stafford to cook a four course meal in the pocket. Gena has an extremely talented weaponry, so make it happen.Curran was very good at the end of 2021 season. Forsythe has never been good, however. :o :shock:

Getting really tired of the same s*** every year. Pete definitely has a target if things don’t pick up this weekend. It’s called “adjustments!”
Stream Hawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:32 am

I'm not so sure about Lucas. He had the same issue with his knee back in the spring, so is a week or two's rest really going to make a difference?

Lucas is out for at least 4 weeks as he's on IR.
He's also going to have a 'Procedure' on that knee.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ab ... r-AA1gMXVf
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum