MNF Football Fans: You are part of an experiment

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

MNF Football Fans: You are part of an experiment

Postby RiverDog » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:07 am

From the Athletic:

This is a public service announcement for NFL fans: You are about to be part of an NFL viewership experiment.

The NFL has scheduled two games this Monday — the New Orleans Saints at the Carolina Panthers on ESPN at 7:15 p.m. ET, and the Cleveland Browns at the Pittsburgh Steelers at 8:15 p.m. ET on ABC.

The following Monday features the Philadelphia Eagles at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 7:15 p.m. ET on ABC and the Los Angeles Rams at the Cincinnati Bengals at 8:15 p.m. on ESPN. In short, ESPN gets an early Monday start time this week, and ABC will get it the following week. The end result will be the league and ESPN get real-time data on viewer interest regarding “Monday Night Football” doubleheader start times.

“We’re going to learn more about what optimizes best, and I think by next year we’ll continue to hone on driving the biggest viewership between the two games,” said ESPN president of content Burke Magnus. “We will learn if it is better to start with the ABC game, the ESPN game, or the other way around. Later in the year, in Week 14, we’re doing both games (Green Bay Packers at New York Giants on ABC and Tennessee Titans at Miami Dolphins on ESPN) at the same time (8:15 p.m. ET kickoff). The thought there is, can we combine total audience and do a little bit like we used to do in the old days of college football where we create a simultaneous national and regional appeal and use our networks to do that in a single window? Then it combines to sort of like a super audience total number.”

The NFL is also interested. Hans Schroeder, the NFL’s executive vice president of media distribution, called it a unique opportunity with a single broadcast partner to examine the possibilities.

“We have the unique opportunity with a single partner, with two really strong national distribution assets in ESPN and ABC, and what we want to do is continue to innovate and create a new viewing experience,” Schroeder said. “So you’ll see more look-ins in between the games. You’ll see more coverage between the two games going on, you’ll see things at halftime in those first couple weeks where they go to the other game. The whole desire is, how do we create a new and different and compelling way for fans to watch games, and how do we continue to test and innovate as we do that? We’re really excited for those side-by-sides with Disney.”

When the viewership data gets analyzed, as with all games, there will be additional factors beyond start times, including how competitive each game was, the market size for each team playing, if the game included national stars or traditional popular teams, and the estimated reach for each outlet. The expectation would be that any game on a network (ABC) would outrate a game on cable (ESPN), but we shall see.

https://theathletic.com/4860182/2023/09 ... xperiment/
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: MNF Football Fans: You are part of an experiment

Postby jshawaii22 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:01 pm

...and part 2 of the current experiment is "lets see how we can screw the fans" was last weekend, when I was surprised to find out that the early game from London was only available to those that PAY a (I think) $9.95mo. subscription to get other on-line content I live without.
No problem, I watched a rerun of the Seahawks vs 49ers playoff game with Richard Sherman going off at the end.
jshawaii22
Legacy

Re: MNF Football Fans: You are part of an experiment

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:39 pm

jshawaii22 wrote:...and part 2 of the current experiment is "lets see how we can screw the fans" was last weekend, when I was surprised to find out that the early game from London was only available to those that PAY a (I think) $9.95mo. subscription to get other on-line content I live without.
No problem, I watched a rerun of the Seahawks vs 49ers playoff game with Richard Sherman going off at the end.

Plus, it was a bait and switch. The game started out shown live on ESPN then after about the first 3-5 minutes, they cut it off and said that if you wanted to watch the rest of the game that you had to go to ESPN+, the subscription service you're referring to. What a croc!

I thought that all the European games were shown live by NFL Network, but apparently, this one was the only game being televised on ESPN+. All of the rest are being shown live on NFL Network.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum