Giants Monday Nighter

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Giants Monday Nighter

Postby NorthHawk » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:51 am

We have a lot of players on IR or have been so.
On the OL, we haven't done too badly substituting for Cross and he might play tonight, but I'd rather keep him out for this game and give him an extra 2 weeks to recover from the toe injury. I think that might be best for the long term.
Same with Riq Wollen. If there's a good chance of a setback, why risk it at this point?

According to Giants.com the following Seahawk players didn't practice on Friday:
Tre Brown - Concussion
Coby Bryant - Toe
Artie Burns - Hamstring
Charles Cross - Toe
Dre'Mont Jones - Hip
Derick Hall - Knee

The following had Limited Practice on Friday:
Quandre Diggs - Hamstring
Phil Haynes - Calf
Julian Love - Hamstring
Will Dissly - Shoulder

When I first looked at the schedule when it came out I thought that a week 5 bye was too early, but maybe it's a good thing this year with a lot of expected starters banged up.
As an FYI, the Giants only have Barkley designated as Limited Practice with an Ankle injury and and Andrew Thomas out with a Hamstring issue. The other 4 previously listed players had a full practice on Friday.

So our depth is going to be tested this week. I hope the last couple of drafts will show that we selected players that have a good chance to start in the NFL at some point in their careers in Seattle.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Re: Giants Monday Nighter

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:28 pm

Too many injuries. Seems to be happening league wide though. Seems the agreement they made with the player's union is leading unprepared players more prone to injuries, at least that is how it feels. I hope the NFL is collecting data on injury rates to see if the lack of intensity in practice and early preseason is leading to more injuries during the regular season because the players are pretty much going from no to low intensity to high intensity with very little preparation.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:37 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:Too many injuries. Seems to be happening league wide though. Seems the agreement they made with the player's union is leading unprepared players more prone to injuries, at least that is how it feels. I hope the NFL is collecting data on injury rates to see if the lack of intensity in practice and early preseason is leading to more injuries during the regular season because the players are pretty much going from no to low intensity to high intensity with very little preparation.

I live in New Zealand now and watch the All Blacks in Rugby Union from time to time, and I am still trying to grasp the concept of the sport, but these guys play with out pads and they experience far less injuries than NFL players. From what I was told from the locals that the players are taught how and where to hit their opponents. Without pads it would certainly hurt more if you hit someone so you learn to grapple and tackle more effectively so no one gets hurt. I watched a match recently where no on on the field got hurt during a match, and that is saying a lot considering how much contact they experience. Another thing that limits injuries in Rugby is that there is far less physical contact away from the ball indifferent to the NFL where there are blindside blocks, and crack backs and player's blowing up blocks aways from the ball.

NFL players are given pads, and are taught to use their bodies as a missile to make plays(well most of them), and most often can cause self injury. I see Quandre Diggs always flying in to lay a big hit, but sometimes he slams his own teammates and it's just a matter of time before he hurts himself or someone else. At some point with the players getting faster and bigger, we need to find away to minimize the big hits that we have grown to love over the years...
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:53 pm

I hope Genos knee isnt bad.....yikes.....
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:36 pm

That is what a 5th overall cornerback plays like. It's why I don't feel much about not drafting Jalen Carter.

Yep, Mack. Thanks for the fix.
Last edited by Aseahawkfan on Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:39 pm

Yessir. He looks like he’s got the goods you just can’t teach. He’s getting better every week.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby MackStrongIsMyHero » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:41 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:That is what a 5th round cornerback plays like. It's why I don't feel much about not drafting Jalen Carter.

I know what you meant, but it seems you were trying to say either 5th overall or 1st round.
MackStrongIsMyHero
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:12 pm

What a nutty number of sacks.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby trents » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:24 pm

Both teams were playing with a lot of backups and suffered more injuries during the game.

Good win for the Hawks. It turned on some big plays on both offense and defense. Not a clean game for the Hawks, however. Several stupid penalties and a lot of sloppy tackling. They've got to clean things up if they expect to win against good teams. They got away with it against the Giants but it will not work against better competition.
trents
Legacy

Postby Oly » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:29 pm

trents wrote:Both teams were playing with a lot of backups and suffered more injuries during the game.

Good win for the Hawks. It turned on some big plays on both offense and defense. Not a clean game for the Hawks, however. Several stupid penalties and a lot of sloppy tackling. They've got to clean things up if they expect to win against good teams. They got away with it against the Giants but it will not work against better competition.

As good as it felt to see them win—and to see individual bright spots like Witherspoon and the overall fight of the defense—I got a similar feeling. This was more a game of the Giants being f***ing terrible than the Hawks being great. Very good, at times, sure. Dickson continues to be a stud. Hurtt's blitz packages were more creative than I remember. Better tackling than much of last season. But it's hard to know how much of that is the TERRIBLE O-line play from the Giants (props to our backups for being way better than theirs, btw). And the Hawks looked pretty bad for much of the first half. And they haven't been able to get JSN involved.

Overall, though, I'm happy with 3-1 and have more optimism than I started the year with. Go Hawks!
Oly
Legacy

Postby EmeraldBullet » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:30 pm

IM tired about hearing how the giants OL is bad.....we were missing multiple starters on our OL. Our starting QB got hurt and we stilled got a long td before he came back. Our DL did a good job tonight, and our secondary. Lets just give credit where it is due. The excuses about the giants OL are pathetic.
EmeraldBullet
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:29 am

EmeraldBullet wrote:IM tired about hearing how the giants OL is bad.....we were missing multiple starters on our OL. Our starting QB got hurt and we stilled got a long td before he came back. Our DL did a good job tonight, and our secondary. Lets just give credit where it is due. The excuses about the giants OL are pathetic.

Both things can be true. Their OL played poorly and our DL played pretty well. It makes for terrible results for the Offense, but these things happen.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:35 am

What I liked: Witherspoon and the DL. Although it wouldn't surprise me if some type of admonishment is meted out to Witherspoon for his hard hit/tackle of the RB as he led with the crown of his helmet. It could really hurt him, too so I hope it isn't part of his game long term. The 2 RB system with Walker and Charbonnet looks like it can be good.

What I didn't like: The Offense seemed out of sync and couldn't get untracked early and we still haven't used JSN for anything outside of short passes. As well, the penalties were just horrible. I'm really concerned about the injuries that we seem to be attracting and I hope both Lewis and Reed are good to go in 2 weeks. It would be a big blow to lose either or both.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby TriCitySam » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:01 am

Having such a makeshift OL no doubt affected our offense and contributed to some of the penalties. Having said that, they hung in there and have for a couple of weeks. The Bye week helps a bunch and we should get almost everybody back. Kudos to JS. Improved depth and another nice looking rookie group. I like the potential of this team.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:12 pm

Here are my thoughts.

The offense still has a lot of work to be more dominant. Comparative to the 49ers right now who have weapons at every position, and can pick apart defenses left and right from great coaching, our offense still has moments where they look like they are about to roll, and are set back with procedure calls or it just seems the blocking cant hold up, albeit we are playing with one starter on the OL, and we just can't get that consistency a dominant offense needs.

I was actually excited to see how loose Drew Lock was in there, and I thought he should have just finished the game the way the defense was playing. At no time I felt Geno would be replaced as starter going forward, but it would have been nice to see Lock run the offense and prevent further injury to Geno.

Coaching was a big step up for me and I was shocked to see Pete go for it on 4th down, although the pass was thrown behind ZC and we failed on 4th it still made me feel that the coaching is hopefully keeping up with the league trend with going on 4th and less than 2 on the opponents side of the field.

Defense, is something I have been hard on from Game 1, and as ugly as this game was I am happy to see our talent displayed for once and actually using stunts and DB blitzs to disrupt the pass game. I wasn't sure if it was super great defense or super bad offense, or maybe both but it was nice to see us set some all time records on a prime time stage.

Witherspoon is playing lights out and happy to see him make the biggest plays on MNF. He plays hard and physical, and I hope he can keep himself healthy with his heavy hitting, because from the looks of it.. it appears he is barely wearing any shoulder pads out there. Also, he is young and very talented and I know the stage is big on MNF, and this game alone most likely put himself in the running for rookie defensive player of the year, but when you celebrate can you have the wherewithal to know that the mics can pick up your shouting and hear you say the "N" word(of course ending in "A") on live TV. Hopefully a vet like Diggs or Wagner can mentor him on that because I know it's comes out in the spirit of the game, but he needs to knock that off.

Finally, J Adams. I have no where to begin other than I feel awful he can't catch a break, but is anyone surprised he got hurt again. It was a freak play that hurt him, and that tough to see him all wobbly out there. Lost for words.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:24 pm

I loved seeing Spoon break out as much as anyone but we gotta give Bobby some love too! 17 tackles and 2 sacks woulda been a big deal any other night.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:03 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:I loved seeing Spoon break out as much as anyone but we gotta give Bobby some love too! 17 tackles and 2 sacks woulda been a big deal any other night.

Bobby done that so many times that we almost expect it. Bobby going to the Hall.

Even Bobby at his current age better than most LBs in their prime.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:45 pm

I'm worried about the injuries to the offensive line. At some point, you have to figure that they're going to catch up with us. Not to take anything away from our win, but the Giants were a much weaker team than I even remotely thought they were. Daniel Jones just sucks, all he can do is run and throw to his check down receivers. I saw where the Giants have scored just 9 total points in the first half of their first 4 games.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 am

Welcome back, RD. I hope you had a great time.
The OL has done a very good job and I think most of the credit should go to the OL coaches and Waldron and his game planning.
Last year they developed two rookie Tackles and this year they are getting the most out of the backups that we could reasonably expect. Going against the Bengals DL will be a tougher test but some creative game planning can mitigate that disadvantage to a degree - as long as the OL are all on the same page.
I am wondering if this is one of those years where the injury bug hits more than other teams. There just seems to be some years that it goes that way for a team. This might be our year, unfortunately.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:52 am

NorthHawk wrote:Welcome back, RD. I hope you had a great time.
The OL has done a very good job and I think most of the credit should go to the OL coaches and Waldron and his game planning.
Last year they developed two rookie Tackles and this year they are getting the most out of the backups that we could reasonably expect. Going against the Bengals DL will be a tougher test but some creative game planning can mitigate that disadvantage to a degree - as long as the OL are all on the same page.
I am wondering if this is one of those years where the injury bug hits more than other teams. There just seems to be some years that it goes that way for a team. This might be our year, unfortunately.

Thanks, North Hawk! Yes, we had a fantastic time. We always do. I'd encourage everyone to go on a road trip.

Agreed about the coach's efforts with regards to our offensive line. However, I'm not confident that it's going to be enough to compete with the elite teams in the conference like the Eagles, Cowboys, and Niners. However, after witnessing the first 4 weeks of the league, I'm going to modify my prediction from 9-8 to 10-7 or even 11-6. Our next opponent, the Bengals, are one of the top disappointments of the season. I'm putting that one in the W column.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:24 am

I think with the Eagles, Cowboys and Niners twice we could be looking at 4 losses right there. We don't have the quality depth that they do and with the exception of the Eagles they are all hitting on all cylinders. But the Eagles are so talented that
they are finding a way to win even when not being on top of their game.

The Bengals are a strange team to me. They have gone deep into the playoffs the last couple of years and yet I get the feeling that things could go right off the rails for them this year with a lot of dissension. Then again, maybe this rough patch will bring them closer together. If they are going to get their act together it has to be soon because time is running out for them even though they are only 2 games behind the Ravens and the Steelers and Browns could do a swan dive at any point. But the other teams in the AFC could make it hard for them to get a Wild Card entry.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:01 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think with the Eagles, Cowboys and Niners twice we could be looking at 4 losses right there. We don't have the quality depth that they do and with the exception of the Eagles they are all hitting on all cylinders. But the Eagles are so talented that
they are finding a way to win even when not being on top of their game.

The Bengals are a strange team to me. They have gone deep into the playoffs the last couple of years and yet I get the feeling that things could go right off the rails for them this year with a lot of dissension. Then again, maybe this rough patch will bring them closer together. If they are going to get their act together it has to be soon because time is running out for them even though they are only 2 games behind the Ravens and the Steelers and Browns could do a swan dive at any point. But the other teams in the AFC could make it hard for them to get a Wild Card entry.

We get all 4 of those games in 4 straight weeks starting on Thanksgiving evening. It could make or break our season.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:36 pm

Highest graded Seahawks players against the Giants:
Bobby Wagner - 91.1
Devon Witherspoon - 90.9
Uchenna Nwosu - 90.5
Noah Fant - 89.1
Jordyn Brooks - 82.3

@PFFSeattle

Not too surprised Bobby out graded Spoon. Too bad he's not getting any cred for it nationally.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:35 pm

It's expected of Wags now so it's somewhat glossed over. However, if he was playing on the East Coast there would be much more talk about it.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum