Is It Time To Bench Geno?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Re: Is It Time To Bench Geno?

Postby NorthHawk » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:46 am

His Denver experience is probably what we can expect, but we don't really know.
He was starting quite early in his career and like we were talking about with the last QB draft class, it's sometimes better for them to sit a year and get acclimated to the NFL including how to run an Offense.
Some players just get in over their head and can't recover until they leave that organization.
Geno was never considered the starter until the start of last season and even then, Pete said the competition goes on. That suggests the race wasn't clear cut, but with Covid and Geno storming out of the gates, Lock never got a real shot to show if he has developed past his Denver days. I would still like to see him start a few games just to see if he does have something to offer other than a backup.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:52 am

NorthHawk wrote:His Denver experience is probably what we can expect, but we don't really know.
He was starting quite early in his career and like we were talking about with the last QB draft class, it's sometimes better for them to sit a year and get acclimated to the NFL including how to run an Offense.
Some players just get in over their head and can't recover until they leave that organization.
Geno was never considered the starter until the start of last season and even then, Pete said the competition goes on. That suggests the race wasn't clear cut, but with Covid and Geno storming out of the gates, Lock never got a real shot to show if he has developed past his Denver days. I would still like to see him start a few games just to see if he does have something to offer other than a backup.

If we are out of the playoff hunt in late December or if Geno goes down with an injury, then I obviously don't mind giving Lock another shot. But regular season snaps for a quarterback are like gold, and I'd just as soon move on to someone else next season rather than keep trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Geno clearly gives us the best chance to win.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:24 pm

It's already too late for Geno to salvage this season, because of his poor to average play to this point has cost of games in key situations, and I am not convinced that we are going to end with a winning record even where we sit now. I know I have been advocating to see what Drew has to offer only because what he did in the preseason when he was given 1st team reps. Geno had played poor enough to be benched, between bad turnovers, to should have been turnovers, and poor play clock management and can't read a defense to save his life(literally). I won't argue this point anymore because I think we just checked in for a 7-10 season. Yes Lock is still an unknown, and isn't the future at QB for us but it's hard to pass judgement on a small sample size, but there are times when people are given a 2nd chance and can make the most of it.

Hopefully next year we can draft a solid QB for the future and start fresh.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:38 pm

It's not too late to salvage anything as long as we're not yet eliminated from playoff contention. Not saying I think he will, just that it's too early to be "too late".
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:53 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:It's not too late to salvage anything as long as we're not yet eliminated from playoff contention. Not saying I think he will, just that it's too early to be "too late".

Of course anything can happen, but if Geno stays healthy and remains the starter we "might" trip into the play offs, but IMO we get waxed in the first round if we did get in. There is a real possibility with Geno remaining the starter we have a losing record and miss the playoffs. The body of work up to this point proves he isn't capable of winning the tough games and making the right calls. I was very hopeful in that first drive against the Rams, and thought "well here we go maybe has found his grove again." Nope, the Rams made adjustments and pretty much put Geno in handcuffs and he couldn't get out of it, because his football IQ isn't up to par.

Anyways, we shall see how the season unfolds and maybe some will look back and think him maybe we should have not put all the eggs in the Geno basket thinking he was good enough to make the Hawk's a contender. Not saying you said that, because I am guilty of it. I was a Geno preseason critic defender, and I felt he would take the next step and elevate his play. But his poor play has convinced me otherwise.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:40 pm

If Meyers hits that last FG, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Geno gave us a chance to win and did so when he was injured. And here we are talking about benching him.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:40 pm

RiverDog wrote:If Meyers hits that last FG, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Geno gave us a chance to win and did so when he was injured. And here we are talking about benching him.

Well if we can live in the "what if" world for a moment then yes we it would be a different discussion had Myers made that kick. Since we are talking about "if" for a moment..

What "if" Drew Lock connects with JSN on the 2nd deep throw, and puts in a scoring position with that pass? What would the discussion be then?

What "if" Geno throws that easy pick 6 in the Browns game, what would be the discussion then?

What "if" Geno actually had clock management skills at the end of the Rams game, and managed it better?

But the reality is he could have helped the team out slightly better by making the right call. It has been confirmed he couldn't hear the play call in his headset, so he was 100% in command of the final 45 secs of that drive, after a pretty good pass to DK. Instead of realizing he had time on the clock and spiking it on 1st down and running a more effective play on 2nd down and maybe pick up 6 to 7 yards, which would have made a longer field goal more doable for Myers. I mean Myers is a good kicker, but he is no Justin Tucker. 55 Yards is asking for it all, but maybe 49 to 51 yards would have made the difference. Who knows, but yes I do think Geno has played poor enough to be benched. I don't dislike Geno, and as I mentioned above I was a Geno defender and I want him to get back to what made him a great story last year. However, given all the situations he has been put in his play has been pretty below average and will not be good enough to compete with the top teams in the NFC.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:49 pm

RiverDog wrote:If Meyers hits that last FG, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

4XPIPS wrote:Well if we can live in the "what if" world for a moment then yes we it would be a different discussion had Myers made that kick. Since we are talking about "if" for a moment..

What "if" Drew Lock connects with JSN on the 2nd deep throw, and puts in a scoring position with that pass? What would the discussion be then?

What "if" Geno throws that easy pick 6 in the Browns game, what would be the discussion then?

What "if" Geno actually had clock management skills at the end of the Rams game, and managed it better?

But the reality is he could have helped the team out slightly better by making the right call. It has been confirmed he couldn't hear the play call in his headset, so he was 100% in command of the final 45 secs of that drive, after a pretty good pass to DK. Instead of realizing he had time on the clock and spiking it on 1st down and running a more effective play on 2nd down and maybe pick up 6 to 7 yards, which would have made a longer field goal more doable for Myers. I mean Myers is a good kicker, but he is no Justin Tucker. 55 Yards is asking for it all, but maybe 49 to 51 yards would have made the difference. Who knows, but yes I do think Geno has played poor enough to be benched. I don't dislike Geno, and as I mentioned above I was a Geno defender and I want him to get back to what made him a great story last year. However, given all the situations he has been put in his play has been pretty below average and will not be good enough to compete with the top teams in the NFC.

My point is that Geno wasn't one of the primary reasons why we lost that game, and had Meyers hit that FG, the talk would have been how Geno pulled off a Willis Reed Kirk Gibson-like performance, coming back into the game after he suffered a significant injury to his throwing arm and got us into position for a game winning FG. Once he left the field for the FG attempt, the discussion hinged on Meyer's success or failure.
RiverDog
Legacy

Previous

Return to Seahawks Forum