What's Going On With Adams?

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

What's Going On With Adams?

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:17 am

I'm beginning to lose a lot of respect for Jamal Adams. Two weeks ago, he gets into it with an independent doctor who was assigned to evaluate him for a concussion. OK, I get it, he's been out of action for over a year then gets hurt on the first drive, so he has to be frustrated. Not that it's an excuse, but he was concussed, and sometimes there are behavioral changes that might not otherwise occur. The league considered disciplining him for his behavior and declined to take any action. And to Adams credit, he manned up and apologized, admitted he was wrong.

Two weeks later, and the very next game, Adams gets into it with another independent doctor assigned to evaluate players, and it didn't even involve him, rather it was Jake Bobo, who had just sustained a huge hit to his head:

This week the NFL fined Seattle Seahawks safety Jamal Adams $50,000 after Adams, according to the league, "directed verbal remarks and made inappropriate physical contact" with a doctor in the bench area of Seattle's Week 6 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, a league source tells CBS Sports.

In a letter to Adams this week, the league said Adams interfered with orderly administration of the game when the unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant (UNC) was walking with Seahawks wide receiver Jake Bobo to the blue medical tent for evaluation of a concussion.

Bobo had just hauled in a 20-yard pass from Geno Smith when Bengals safety Dax Hill delivered a big hit on Bobo that resulted in a penalty. Bobo was removed from the game for an evaluation but would pass the check and return to the game.

A source tells CBS Sports there is video of the incident which the league reviewed before issuing the fine.

Sunday's incident came after a nationally televised incident earlier in the month on "Monday Night Football" on Oct. 2 when Adams yelled at another independent doctor on the sideline as he was taken for a concussion evaluation.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seah ... ne-doctor/

We need to hear Adams' side of the story, if he has one, before we can jump to any conclusions. But this situation is very concerning as it's a direct reflection on Pete.

Inappropriate physical contact with a caregiver? He's damn lucky he didn't receive a suspension.
RiverDog
Legacy

Re: What's Going On With Adams?

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:35 am

I think it's an over reaction from the league IMO. Maybe there was a big debate within the NFL about fining him for his situation and so they went the extra step this time.
Here's the clip:

https://twitter.com/SamiOnTap/status/17 ... 22587?s=20

To me, it's part of encouragement to a team mate and maybe convincing himself. If this is all of it, it's not derogatory towards anyone.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:26 am

NorthHawk wrote:I think it's an over reaction from the league IMO. Maybe there was a big debate within the NFL about fining him for his situation and so they went the extra step this time.
Here's the clip:

https://twitter.com/SamiOnTap/status/17 ... 22587?s=20

To me, it's part of encouragement to a team mate and maybe convincing himself. If this is all of it, it's not derogatory towards anyone.

That clip is all of 2 seconds long. It can't be the same one the league looked at when they issued their discipline as there was "inappropriate contact", which doesn't appear in that clip.

And I'm still waiting to hear Adams' side of the story.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:48 am

Is verbal abuse contact? I can contact you by phone, so yelling at someone or in support of someone could be considered contact.
And that was the issue with his concussion - he was verbally abusing those evaluating him from what I've heard of it.

Edit:
I hope they tell Adams specifically where he crossed the line so he isn't left in limbo wondering what he did wrong.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby curmudgeon » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:55 am

Adam’s and Metcalf’s antics will surely draw increased official’s attention to the league’s most penalized team. Not good……..
curmudgeon
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:57 am

NorthHawk wrote:Is verbal abuse contact? I can contact you by phone, so yelling at someone or in support of someone could be considered contact.
And that was the issue with his concussion - he was verbally abusing those evaluating him from what I've heard of it.

Edit:
I hope they tell Adams specifically where he crossed the line so he isn't left in limbo wondering what he did wrong.

Here's a quote:

According to CBS Sports, which first reported the fine, the league deemed that Adams "directed verbal remarks and made inappropriate physical contact" with an unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant who was preparing to evaluate Seahawks wide receiver Jake Bobo for a possible concussion late in the third quarter.

That's not verbal abuse. Adams must have either pushed, grabbed, shoved, or something of that nature in order for it to qualify as "inappropriate."

It should be understood by everyone that verbally abusing or making 'inappropriate physical contact" with a doctor or care giver is completely unacceptable and should not require an explanation from the league. Given what everyone, including Adams and every other player and fan witnessed when those first responders saved Damar Hamlin's life, you would think that players like Adams would have a little more respect for the job they do. Indeed, Adams said so himself in what appeared to be a heartfelt apology he made after his previous incident.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby Aseahawkfan » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:04 pm

That some weird behavior he has never exhibited before to my knowledge. Hopefully his sanity is not fraying under all the pressure and injuries.
Aseahawkfan
Legacy

Postby c_hawkbob » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:14 pm

All he was doing as far as I could see was shouting "he's good!" over and over. Admittedly rather animatedly, but that's not at all unusual on an NFL sideline.
c_hawkbob
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:15 pm

c_hawkbob wrote:All he was doing as far as I could see was shouting "he's good!" over and over. Admittedly rather animatedly, but that's not at all unusual on an NFL sideline.

In that short, 2-3 second clip, yes. But you don't honestly think that the league would fine him $50K for that, do you?

Once again, the reports are that Adams engaged in "inappropriate physical contact" with the UNC, ie medical personnel, which would be very unusual.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:22 pm

Aseahawkfan wrote:That some weird behavior he has never exhibited before to my knowledge. Hopefully his sanity is not fraying under all the pressure and injuries.

Yes, it seems out of character for Adams. From all reports, he's a good locker room guy that everyone likes. And I was impressed with his apology for his first run-in during the Giants game. Although it's still not acceptable and IMO the league should have fined him for his behavior then, it is understandable given his injury history and long recovery period only to get sidelined again. It's hard to imagine the frustration he must have been subjected to. Although I wouldn't accept the excuse, it's certainly worthy of forgiveness, especially since he manned up, took responsibility for his actions, and issued what appeared to be a heart felt apology.

But this last incident is baffling, and I want to hear from Adams, if he has an explanation. Did the doctor flip him off? Something must have lit his fuse. Remember, this was an offensive player that got hurt, so Adams was on the sidelines when the incident happened, meaning that he wasn't keyed up from being in action. I also want to see the full video that the league used in deciding to reprimand him, not some 2-3 second virtual snapshot. I've searched for it and can't find anything. They said that they didn't consider him a repeat offender from his incident during the Giants game, so it must have been pretty serious.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum