Josh McDaniels

Official Seahawks Forum, for the 12th man, by the 12th man.

Josh McDaniels

Postby TriCitySam » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:44 am

Fired by Raiders today. I know during the Monday night broadcast they announcers were talking about Garoppolo not being able to turn the offense around, and thinking "Isn't this partly on McDaniels? Where has he excelled as a head coach?"....but then you can't fire Mark Davis, so don't know how they fix it.
TriCitySam
Legacy

Re: Josh McDaniels

Postby RiverDog » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:16 pm

He's the first of 6-8 NFL head coaches who will be fired by the end of the season. Other candidates include Matt Eberflus of the Bears, Ron Rivera of the Commanders, Brandon Staley of the Chargers, Dennis Allen of the Saints, Brian Daboll of the Giants, Mike McCarthy of the Cowboys. There's even been hints that Bill Belichick could be gone, although I doubt it would be by firing.

It's the second head coaching gig that McDaniels has gotten fired from, and much for the same reason. His eye for quarterbacks is a little off kilter. I'm not sure what made him think that Jimmy G. was an upgrade over Derek Carr, much like his primary reason for failing in Denver years ago because he traded up in the first round to draft Tim Tebow.
RiverDog
Legacy

Postby NorthHawk » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:46 am

I think Davis screwed up by not re-signing Rich Bisacci (sp) after he took over from Gruden and Mayock being fired and got them into the playoffs.
The players believed in him and wanted to play for him, but they didn't seem as committed to McDaniels and Jimmy G as they did the year before.
NorthHawk
Legacy

Postby 4XPIPS » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:41 pm

RiverDog wrote:He's the first of 6-8 NFL head coaches who will be fired by the end of the season. Other candidates include Matt Eberflus of the Bears, Ron Rivera of the Commanders, Brandon Staley of the Chargers, Dennis Allen of the Saints, Brian Daboll of the Giants, Mike McCarthy of the Cowboys. There's even been hints that Bill Belichick could be gone, although I doubt it would be by firing.

It's the second head coaching gig that McDaniels has gotten fired from, and much for the same reason. His eye for quarterbacks is a little off kilter. I'm not sure what made him think that Jimmy G. was an upgrade over Derek Carr, much like his primary reason for failing in Denver years ago because he traded up in the first round to draft Tim Tebow.

Sad truth Tim Tebow was really his only QB that accomplished anything for him when they won a playoff game in the opening rounds. No one will ever give McDaniels another head coaching shot, and I think his career as an offensive guru is well past him. He probably can find something at the college level.

As for Jimmy G, I think his career is over as a starter. No one is going to give Jimmy G a start anymore especially with the next level of QBs developing now.

Interesting you mentioned Mike McCarthy, considering where they are right now and how they stack up against the Eagles this year, I can see JJ giving him more time. I mean Jerry doesn't fire coaches too quickly and often, and he stuck with Garrett far too long as a HC.
4XPIPS
Legacy

Postby RiverDog » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:12 am

RiverDog wrote:He's the first of 6-8 NFL head coaches who will be fired by the end of the season. Other candidates include Matt Eberflus of the Bears, Ron Rivera of the Commanders, Brandon Staley of the Chargers, Dennis Allen of the Saints, Brian Daboll of the Giants, Mike McCarthy of the Cowboys. There's even been hints that Bill Belichick could be gone, although I doubt it would be by firing.

4XPIPS wrote:Sad truth Tim Tebow was really his only QB that accomplished anything for him when they won a playoff game in the opening rounds. No one will ever give McDaniels another head coaching shot, and I think his career as an offensive guru is well past him. He probably can find something at the college level.

As for Jimmy G, I think his career is over as a starter. No one is going to give Jimmy G a start anymore especially with the next level of QBs developing now.

Interesting you mentioned Mike McCarthy, considering where they are right now and how they stack up against the Eagles this year, I can see JJ giving him more time. I mean Jerry doesn't fire coaches too quickly and often, and he stuck with Garrett far too long as a HC.

Yeah, McDaniels was living off the Brady/Belichick days. And not only has he failed miserably in two HC jobs, but there's also that cluster of an incident when he supposedly accepted a job offer by the Colts and even hired a staff before he changed his mind and decided that he didn't want it. No owner/GM is going to touch him, and even at the college level, I'd be very leery of hiring him. But I do think some NFL might hire him as an OC.

McCarthy has been mentioned in a lot of "hot seat" articles. The consensus is that if he doesn't get deep into the playoffs this season, that he's a goner. I was surprised that Jones didn't can him last year when Payton was on the market.
RiverDog
Legacy

Return to Seahawks Forum